Stinger Driver custom in 12"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozin

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
This is such the obvious rehash for Sideshow to do. I expect they'll do it at some point. But until then, I so wanted to do one of these being a vehicle fan, so I went it did one myself.

stinger-driver01.jpg

stinger-driver02.jpg

I got my hands on an extra Cobra Officer uni and helmet and then gave it a re-dye. The stitching doesn't bleach or dye, so you see the old blue. The Cobra emblem is a bit faded because of the process. Not sure if I'll print new ones and iron them over, but I'm kinda liking the faded look. It gives him a field appearance.

The rest of the figure is a Cobra Trooper and the gas can is a WWII German one, which'll get a repaint in either black or Cobra blue, or perhaps both. I've got some decals left over from the ATV project that I'll apply.

Now to make that Stinger :)

John

I dig it.
icon14.gif
Looks really nice in that color scheme too. Shame about those damn nylon threads. So did you just bleach the outfit and then dye it grey?

Just yesterday I was against a Stinger Driver variant, but this has since convinced me otherwise! Very nicely done! Amazing how a simple color swap makes him look like a totally different figure. The Officer and Sniper have been minor tweaks so it hasn't been as noticeable of a change with them, but lightening the outfit definately makes him pop! :rock

Thanks guys, glad you like him. I really appreciate the comments.

There's a few projects ahead of a Stinger on the workbench, but I'm sure there'll be one at some point. That's one of the projects that if I attempt it, it must be R/C.

John

How did you get the outfit grey? Please let me know as I tried to dye mine and it turned out PINK!! LOL Not real happy about that. I let it set for a whole day and it never got any lighter, just stayed bright pink. Can you tell me the steps you took to make your guy grey? Thanks, Chris

I used the Rit Dye Remover. It'll turn the uni orangey tan. They I dyed it using Pearl Grey. Rinse when done. I found that you need to get teh uni slightly darker than the color you want because when you rinse it in clear water it looses some color.

John

Not sure if I did this right. Never sent any pictures before. Sideshow forums rookie here. Thanks so much for the directions on the dye. Hope the pictures come out. Peace!! Chris

Wow, I really hate computers! I have some really sweet g.i.joe customs that I made lately and I can't even show them. Sorry to whine like a little sissy, but I did just make a pink cobra trooper ya know. LOL Could someone walk me through how to put images on the website, I appreciate it so much! I would love to show my nerdy talents but can't. Made a sweet custom snake eyes, breaker, and ripcord HALO jumper!! Oh yeah, and pink trooper (not for long though). Thanks again KOZIN, that stinger driver is SSSOOOOO cool. I have the gas can ordered too. Hope to show you the finished product sometime.

Back