Censorship question in ssc Q&A

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quadcent

Super Freak
Reaction score
this question was asked on ssc's Q&A, just thought it'd be interesting to see what everyones thoughts are on it...

Question
What is Sideshow Collectibles’ stance on censorship, given the recent spate of mainstream female comic book characters, which are still targeted for children, being given the blatant sexualization make-over by artist such as Adam Hughes and brought to ‘life’ by your very talented sculptors? I appreciate that there is a market for these type of pieces, but I think it should be pointed out to parents that some of these pneumatically enhanced figures are definitely aimed at the adult collector and should be advertised more openly as such. I’m not questioning the quality of the sculpts etc, just the interpretation of the character and who it is meant to appeal to, as there is a big difference between a comic book image and a sculpted piece. Sorry to raise such a tricky subject, and I am obviously expressing my own personal view as a concerned parent and grandparent.

Answer
We certainly do respect your opinion, but we’re likely to fall more in the anti-censorship camp. The vast majority of our collectors are adults who, like yourself, make the decisions about to what to expose their impressionable youths. We don’t want to encourage any corruption of the wonderful young minds that read comics or watch movies, but we do enjoy the opportunity to capture the imaginative and artistic interpretations of well-known characters. We don’t see ourselves as impacting a huge segment of the populace or defining cultural tastes. In large part, we are capturing established cannon appearances in physical form for a relatively small, specific and adult audience. On several occasions, we have been frustrated by talent or studio approvals asking us to remove details of a sculpture which are accurate to source materials, degrading the authenticity of our product in favor of satisfying the views of a particular actor, actress, or studio head who does not, for instance, believe in nipples, endowed women, g-string underwear, or more innocently, the true size of someone’s nose. We aim to be true to the inspirational material, to maintain the spirit and adhere to our general goal of extreme authenticity. For some, that’s a declaration of sexuality, and for others just an appreciation of beautiful art.

Last edited:
blatant sexualization make-over? What's wrong with sexy female characters? I dont hear anyone complaining about Muscular Heroes.

And as for advertising them to be adult owned pieces, I dont see any 6 year olds ordering from Sideshow.

I'm sure a mother posted this. FAIL

frickin' uptight religious whack jobs. You don't like it, don't buy it.

Who would give these to their kids? And if they wanted to, there isn't any nudity, so go for it. Much worse on TV or at a local museum that to complain about an exaggerated voluptuous Adam Hughes female.

There's too much "politically correct" crap going on already, this just adds to it. I'd like to tell this person to go F themselves.

the hairy legged feminists know about sideshow now? ????

Yep.... We Are SCREWED! The MJ Comiquette put SS on the map but it blew over.... But now something has brought the Feminist back.

frickin' uptight religious whack jobs. You don't like it, don't buy it.

Who would give these to their kids? And if they wanted to, there isn't any nudity, so go for it. Much worse on TV or at a local museum that to complain about an exaggerated voluptuous Adam Hughes female.

There's too much "politically correct" crap going on already, this just adds to it. I'd like to tell this person to go F themselves.

Agreed. TV nowadays is WAY more scantly clad then any SS statue.

These are too expensive for children to buy, therefore, they are automatically aimed at ADULT collectors, because of the high price tag. There are plenty of child oriented comic figures available for those that want to buy a figure for their child. Furthermore, a lot of the writing in comics has become a lot more adult oriented in the last 25 years, as well as the art becoming more risque. I submit that this person has lost touch with where the comic genre has been going for a long time.

blatant sexualization make-over? What's wrong with sexy female characters? I dont hear anyone complaining about Muscular Heroes.

And as for advertising them to be adult owned pieces, I dont see any 6 year olds ordering from Sideshow.

I'm sure a mother posted this. FAIL

Another nut job looking to critize something. But seriously, who would buy a AH piece for their 10 yr old child?

it's almost as bad as people asking for SS to give them "ebay money/market value" for their broken prizes/freebies (it's stated in the disclaimer).

Why didn't you add Sideshows response?

I thought that was interesting as well.

yeah someone add it.

but I don't really think the question asked is about "censorship", is it?

I think a more valid question could be asked, "any chance for a non-sexed up version of mary jane for us prudes?"

yeah someone add it.

but I don't really think the question asked is about "censorship", is it?

I think a more valid question could be asked, "any chance for a non-sexed up version of mary jane for us prudes?"

To me it seemed more like the individual was concerned about the unrealistically perfect bodies on the superchicks and did Sideshow want to plant that expectation into the heads of kids. It's classic BS. Basically, some fat broad with a "thyroid problem" is feeling guilty about that Twinkie Sunday she had for breakfast, looked at her skinny husband's Marvel collectibles and needed to vent and blame someone else for her hand-to-mouth addiction. :rolleyes:

She should check out the LOTR stuff. That Berserker PF alone is enough to put a child in trauma!

I don't understand the problem. Kids aren't exactly the target demographic for those collectibles. And if she just wants to object to a product, the Dead Specimens would make a little more sense, not fully clothed comic women.

yeah i just posted the response, i kinda just wanted to see the responses before posting. probaly wouldn't of change the reaction though.

the response kind just told them to politely f off imo..

i don't know about the statues, but i feel that some of the female figures' boobs could be a little bigger.

lol Thats funny.

I think the response to the question was very good. The statues and figures are a form of art.

Keep Rockin Sideshow :chew . Let those people complain to someone else.

"Answer: ....On several occasions, we have been frustrated by talent or studio approvals asking us to remove details of a sculpture which are accurate to source materials, degrading the authenticity of our product in favor of satisfying the views of a particular actor, actress, or studio head who does not, for instance, believe in nipples, endowed women, g-string underwear, or more innocently, the true size of someone’s nose."

:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol

i believe in nipples!!!

i really do. seriously. religiously.

I always thought it made this forum look pretty stupid that they have censorship, like The Mike having to change his sigs, but then the statues that are even less dressed are ok to show.

Censorship is one of those human frailties that will never get solved because of the small minded people. Ditto for hypocrisy, they are for people that can't think.

Fox news comes to mind..... Oh wait they only give out about such things while they have blondes in minis read the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back