Will the SW figures have a matte or glossy finish?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
I think we all know that a paint app can make or break a figure. So, has Sideshow learned that glossy paint ruins the look of their figures? Here is a prime example posted at Rebelscum:

review_pamv_2.jpg

review_pamv_1.jpg

I'm not worried at all about the SW figures looking like that. I would say they will probably go with a less glossy paint app for SW and LOTR.

I don't know how many more times or how many different ways we can reassure you that the majority of Sideshow's 1/6 figures have very nice paintjobs and that examples like Pamela Voorhees are the exception and not the rule. The paintjobs are going to be fine, stop worrying

TheObsoleteMan said:
I don't know how many more times or how many different ways we can reassure you that the majority of Sideshow's 1/6 figures have very nice paintjobs and that examples like Pamela Voorhees are the exception and not the rule. The paintjobs are going to be fine, stop worrying

Yup, of the 5 I have she's the only problem.

I think the skin and hair will be matte, but the eyes and any opened mouths will be glossy. If a character is slimey or wet (Kit?) could be glossy too.

Why do people post the worst possible example???

Look at the recent Washington review from Crawfords site. That tells ya what to expect, he is perfect.

review_washington_1.jpg

Couple years ago. I really have no problem with her. If it bugs someone that much, just repaint her.

EVILFACE said:
Couple years ago. I really have no problem with her. If it bugs someone that much, just repaint her.

I don't personally have a problem with her but if I didn't I wouldn't repaint her. She'd look 10x worse. LOL:wacky

I totally repainted mine. The paint apps are truly as bad as that pic made them out to be. It's also not one of Andy's best sculpts, truth be told.

The dullcoat idea is an excellent suggestion. It's also great for the shiny SSC body. Just a light spray takes the sheen down a few notches.

Customikey said:
I totally repainted mine. The paint apps are truly as bad as that pic made them out to be. It's also not one of Andy's best sculpts, truth be told.

actually it's a Brian Dooley sculpt. and while the actress is not attractive in my opinion, the sculpt is very accurate.

captain sack said:
actually it's a Brian Dooley sculpt. and while the actress is not attractive in my opinion, the sculpt is very accurate.

Oh, I'm sorry. I got confused. Of course, you are right. Brian Dooley. I guess it's because Andy's name has been on all our lips for the past month or so.:rolleyes: My ADD seems to be flaring. :wacky

Actually, comparing it to the source, I'm not sure I agree about it's accuracy. The hair seems a bit too cropped and the face to long, with the eyes too close together. A bit man-ish. Granted, as you say, the source wasn't all that attractive, but she was at least identifiable as a woman.

Kabukiman said:
Is dullcoat something I would buy at the hobby store or the hardware store?

Either. Also Wal-mart. I suggest going to a Games Workshop and picking up their clear matte by Citadel Color. That's what I use, and I've gotten wonderful results. Krylons matte is actually more of a medium gloss. Use the spray very sparingly, as too much will cause the project to become tacky. Then you will have a figure covered in dustmites, string, and Lord Knows what else.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I fear doing any sort of custom work, but I think Pamela might be worth the risk.

Someone just posted this pic at Rebelscum:

untitled24rw.jpg

I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight:horror

When was this figure produced and how in the world could Sideshow allow this to ever ship??? If people thought they were purchasing the one in the proto pics, they must have been furious!:horror

If I were you Justin, I'd just cancel any SSC Star Wars figures you have ordered before you give yourself a stroke worrying about them.

Back