HT doing Marvel movies...yeah we know...but COMIC line too?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Utah

I learned to hate you in the last 10 years
CF Supporter
Reaction score
A few months ago, this poster Jroug over at the OSW board was hinting at the HT/Marvel movie licence well before it was announced the week before SDCC...and he was right. He also hints at a comic-based line too...can you imagine a HT Wolvie based on Jim Lee's art? I collected a few of his posts...let the discussions begin. I'm gonna pm him too to come over here and share.

Re: Hot Toys-X-Men Notice
I don't know if this is April Fools or not, but Marvel & Hot Toys ARE working together for something TBA. It's far more exciting to me than this and I have already started saving --- seriously!

Re: Hot Toys conducting Marvel figure Poll
Obviously they are doing all of these. I've heard for a long time (since i first mentioned it here months ago, doubters!) that the first one will be Hulk, but maybe they will switch around the release order. Who cares, though! I need them all!

Re: Hot Toys dream list... who would you like to see?
Forgot to add to my previous lists:

Pulp Fiction

Comic Book figures based on Comic Books and not movies? Hang in there guys.

This would be awesome, the only issue is that it would be so hard to make everyone happy as far as what artist representations to do for characters...case in point, I would love a mcfarlane spider-man, while somebody else would want a romita. But hell, bring em on!!

does it mean that we will have new comics or new statues??

Someone with supposed "inside information" mentioned that in the Marvel film thread as well, and said that Hulk would be one of the first released if memory serves.

Of course, these would be the ultimate articulated Marvel comic figures. Movie character designs suck, and so the figures necessarily suck. . .with a few, notable exceptions (Stevenson Punisher for instance).

Comic line? Crap. If true I'd be all over it. Spider-Man and his villians, Avengers (Cap, Ironman, Thor, Hulk, and many of the B members Vision, Hawkeye etc.) and the Silver Surfer. Those would be the pieces I'd want.... Oh wait. Thanos and DOOM, FTW!! :rock

Give me an entire Kirby line!!!!!!!!

Hawkeye and Vision "B" members of the Avengers? And Hulk an "A" list member?

I will respectfully disagree on that one. :)

Damn, I would love a Hot Toys comic Cap and Hawkeye. :drool

Hulk and Dr.Doom fine, but can the likes of Wolverine really look right in real clothes? They'll never be tight enough to show off the muscle definition like comics do and IMO he would just end up looking like a guy in a cheap halloween costume...

Its just a thought though, any pics of any superhero figs in real clothes?

They are gonna need more exaggerated bodies than the typical Hot Toys figures get, for sure. Something approaching the 'roided figures like Dutch but with non-rubber arms to go under their spandex.

They are gonna need more exaggerated bodies than the typical Hot Toys figures get, for sure. Something approaching the 'roided figures like Dutch but with non-rubber arms to go under their spandex.

But even at that it still wouldnt look right. I dont wanna sound weird here but lets face it in the comics spandex wearing superheros are basically drawn naked then coloured in :D

So to my mind anyways it can never look right in reality, movies or figs or whatever.

Even in the Wolverine: Origins game there were unlockable costumes of a few looks from the comics, but they tried to make them look like Hugh Jackman wearing them and it just looked silly

EDIT I'm still only refering to real clothes when I say reality, I know statues and fully moulded figs work fine

Do you think the Premium Format superheroes look wrong? What about the Medicom RAH Spidey? It is tough to do right, but it is doable, and I think Hot Toys could handle the challenge of doing something a bit different than their usual and pull it off.

Not at all, I won't lie I'm no expert on them I don't own any or anything like that. But the point is they don't wear real clothes. As I said characters who wear normal clothes or armor I'm sure would come out fine, its just the spandex wearing types who will cause trouble in my opinion(I just want to stress that part!). The Spiderman one is ok but remember that suit looked ok in the movies too,although it was obviously not made of normal spandex, whereas Wolverine certainly wouldnt!

I'm not saying they can't do it they seem capable of anything (Tumbler anyone?) I'm just putting my thoughts out there for debate really :)

I think they can make them look good. Maybe not exactly like the comics, but close enough. You can see some good muscle definition underneath the DC Direct 13" figures.

Do you think the Premium Format superheroes look wrong? What about the Medicom RAH Spidey? It is tough to do right, but it is doable, and I think Hot Toys could handle the challenge of doing something a bit different than their usual and pull it off.

I'm sure they are doable, but I would rather see them in fixed dynamic poses by Sideshow or Bowen. Hot Toys can concentrate on giving us great movie figures

Medicom did a pretty good job with some of their Marvel comic 12" figures, especially the Spider-Man range.

I bet Hot Toys could do something great with a Marvel comic character license.

Back