When is your investment in education just TOO much?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCJ99

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So as some of you may know, I've been looking to transfer to another art school. I have three great schools in mind that I've applied to and have scheduled tours to visit the campus..... But after talking with my father, he's convinced that the expensive nature of all these private art schools is not worth the outcome.... Now I know this is VERY subjective, but my father is a doctor in Internal Medicine, so HIS investment in his education has made him a great return on his investment....

So just to give you an idea, I want to study graphic/web/motion design. The EXACT track I want to follow hasn't been chosen, since I'm still relatively knew to the art world, but I DO know that I'm loving it. This is my second bachelor's degree, and I'd say I'm pretty responsible when it comes to my prioritizing my responsibilities. But as time passes, I'm watching my loan debts pile up FAST. I'm in my third semester of school and now I'm seeing the areas I'd like to develop, but it only means MORE money to spend :sick And I'm calculating that by the time I'm done, I will have well over $100k in loans...... :horror Now if I were pursuing a degree in medicine or something very lucrative then this wouldn't really be an issue. But I'm sure we all know, and some may know FIRST hand, that making a living from art or anything creative is pretty tough :eek: From what I've seen, of course there are SOME (and I mean very few) that I've heard to become VERY successful and make bookoo bucks doing graphic/web design. BUT I've also been told EVERY time that money should be SECONDARY, and that I should follow what I love doing..... But the only thing is, I have a hard time believing anyone could be happy pursuing a career that they struggle to find work (with the crappy economy) and barely maintain to make payments on their MASSIVE student loans..... :(

So my question is, how many of you have made a substantial investment in your career and what was (is) your experience with it all?

I'd REALLY love to hear from other people that are currently in the design field... I moved from Florida to California, since I was constantly told that CALI is where the industry is..... I would just like to get more opinions on the market for design, and people's experience with their educational endeavor

Re: When is your investment in eduction just TOO much?

The fact you can't spell education scares me. What school have you intended? hehe

Damn American school system.

The fact you can't spell education scares me. What school have you intended? hehe

:lol:lol:lol:lol

DANG IT!!!!! I'm running on fumes today......... Stayed up all night finishing a mid term :eek:

Mods, please correct the spelling of my TITLE thread :D

:lol:lol:lol First thing I noticed as well, so you haven't invested enough obviously.

:lecture

That line people are fed about "do what you enjoy" is bunk. You really have to make a compromise between what you enjoy and what will pay the bills.

That sounds like a lot of money. I've got a lot of education, but was always financially careful, so that my investment was more just time and opportunity cost. Weigh your options for sure. If you already have a bachelor's degree, maybe consider getting a post-graduate degree of some kind. With technical jobs like web design, it might make sense to consider going to a cheaper trade school than a traditional "university" type school where you get a more prestigious "degree," but something that might not help to get you a job or a great deal more knowledge re: doing what you want than you could get elsewhere for less.

I say go for it. I know its a lot of debt, but I'd take that over working for 30 years in a job that I wasn't 100% committed or happy with.

Just remember that student loans will never go away, even if you declare bankrupcy or cannot make payments the interest will just keep being applied.

Never took anything after high school and I'm doing just fine $$$ wise.

Never took anything after high school and I'm doing just fine $$$ wise.

Well you, my friend, are the exception :D

Of course I've heard of people that make CRAZY money without a college education.... So of course it's possible. So what exactly do you do? :naughty

That line people are fed about "do what you enjoy" is bunk. You really have to make a compromise between what you enjoy and what will pay the bills.

That sounds like a lot of money. I've got a lot of education, but was always financially careful, so that my investment was more just time and opportunity cost. Weigh your options for sure. If you already have a bachelor's degree, maybe consider getting a post-graduate degree of some kind. With technical jobs like web design, it might make sense to consider going to a cheaper trade school than a traditional "university" type school where you get a more prestigious "degree," but something that might not help to get you a job or a great deal more knowledge re: doing what you want than you could get elsewhere for less.

It seems like there are ALWAYS schools that will teach this..... It's just a matter of how good the quality of instruction is! One thing that I've found in common with all these technical/art schools is that they are ALL expensive!!!

Just remember that student loans will never go away, even if you declare bankrupcy or cannot make payments the interest will just keep being applied.

Sha...... That's one thing that I've heard. And another reason it's making me nervous :sick

never even finished high school and i'm alright. a diploma or degree is just a piece of paper. it's all about who you know. that's what gets you ahead in life.

ps. try and get as many scholarships and free money as you can cuz student loans will hold you hostage for years. just ask some of my friends.

U know Chris that I'm a graphic designer!! I owe around 60,000 in Student Loans! I'm also struggling economically.....and altho my job isn't the place where I wanna be ...I'm still SUPER happy that I get to do art for a living! And ur right.... money should be secondary when ur passion is art..but unfortunately this society makes money a priority, but just have positive thoughts that one day u'll have that ONE job (in house or freelance) that will make you well known in the Graphic Design industry and u'll start having lots of clientele and thats when u'll be successful, not just economically...but in your career!!! That's my goal!

So don't listen to ur dad! He probably doesn't even realize the importance of a Graphic Designer (or artist in general) anywayz!!!!

Oh...and in my opinion...don't go for a Master's degree unless u really really need it....it's good to have one...but not necessary.

I spent a ton of money on higher education. My current job I got through a referral, they didn't even look at my resume and all my fancy degrees. Same with the job before that and the job before that. However THAT job I got because of who I met in school -

and the moral is..

what was the question?

U know Chris that I'm a graphic designer!! I owe around 60,000 in Student Loans! I'm also struggling economically.....and altho my job isn't the place where I wanna be ...I'm still SUPER happy that I get to do art for a living! And ur right.... money should be secondary when ur passion is art..but unfortunately this society makes money a priority, but just have positive thoughts that one day u'll have that ONE job (in house or freelance) that will make you well known in the Graphic Design industry and u'll start having lots of clientele and thats when u'll be successful, not just economically...but in your career!!! That's my goal!

So don't listen to ur dad! He probably doesn't even realize the importance of a Graphic Designer (or artist in general) anywayz!!!!

Oh...and in my opinion...don't go for a Master's degree unless u really really need it....it's good to have one...but not necessary.

HEYA!!!!!!!! :wave

I was hoping you'd chime in here. And You responded EXACTLY how I thought you would ;) I agree with you. If it weren't for me pursuing an education in this stuff, I'd just be teaching myself this stuff by watching online tutorials....... And not really making drastic improvements in my work :eek:

I spent a ton of money on higher education. My current job I got through a referral, they didn't even look at my resume and all my fancy degrees. Same with the job before that and the job before that. However THAT job I got because of who I met in school -

and the moral is..

what was the question?

:lol:lol:lol

That's just ANOTHER great example that it's all about WHO YOU KNOW!!!! :monkey2

never even finished high school and i'm alright. a diploma or degree is just a piece of paper. it's all about who you know. that's what gets you ahead in life.

ps. try and get as many scholarships and free money as you can cuz student loans will hold you hostage for years. just ask some of my friends.

Oh trust me, I've looked everywhere..... I don't qualify for most grants because I've already earned my first bachelor's degree :(

And I've applied to quite a few scholarships on FastWeb...... No luck.

Well you, my friend, are the exception :D

Of course I've heard of people that make CRAZY money without a college education.... So of course it's possible. So what exactly do you do? :naughty

I never went to school either. Just a lot of hard work. I landed a job in prostitution.

That sucks. I hear they teach you how to use caps at the beginning of a sentence there. :lecture :lol

Last edited:
Back