George Washington review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
He might not be sexy, he might not be hip, but in his day he was da man - it's George Washington! Considering how often most of us see this guy's face every day, it's amazing how well Sideshow managed to make us happy with the head sculpt. I have very few complaints, although I did have a few nits here and there. But overall, this is one of the nicest recent 12" figures from Sideshow, and another feather in the cap of the folks working on the historical lines.

I had a great guest review ready to go - Hot Toys Corporal Hicks - but my email snafued on the photos, and it got delayed. I'll have it up by Thursday night though. You can check out all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading,

Michael
MWC

Great review Michael. Right on the money. It is a great figure with wonderful attention to detail. My favority historic figure. The head sculpt is world class. I hope SS makes more on both sides. Can't wait for a british officer.

Mark

Cool review on a GREAT figure!

I'll try and get some shots of my GW repaint.
I made him a bit younger than they did, but sculptwise, I couldn't agree more! They NAILED HIM! Perfect figure. Exquisite accessories!

Bravo SS!!!

I love the George Washington 12" it is far better than the Lincoln. I wish they would make more presidents. I am a new teacher and come August I will have these guys displayed in my classroom.

I repainted George. I wanted him to look more human, less idealized. I also seperated the bottom of the shoulder portion of the cape from the main cape so it would sit better and not cover him up so much. There's also a magnet imbedded in his head, just under the hair and one in his hat to keep it from slipping off. Scalping him and then gluing the scalp back on left a slight seam, but it's not too noticable.

I wish there were more in this line. I'd love to see it grow to B&BW proportions! Bring on John Adams!!

washingtoninaction1mz.jpg

washingtoncloseups6kv.jpg

Thanks! I'm very proud of how he turned out. I just wish his pants were a little more "high-water" as they keep slipping down his ponch. I also put some masking tape around his ponch to tighten it up a bit, so he wouldn't look dumpy.

Beautiful work Mikey!
I repainted mine too, but will post him later when I get some pics.

Your repaint quality is superb as always. I really like your skintones and the realistic skin features you added. Also, those eyebrows are excellent! Thanks for making them less white! That're much more realistic. And the eyes show the tired wear of a driven and weary commander.
A VERY, VERY respectful take on "His Excellency"! One of my all-time favorite characters of History.

BTW, I agree about the ponch. Dead on comment there mate!

Kudos of respect to you big time.

VERY NICE LES!
I like the eyes particularly. Did GW where a darker wig in his younger days? It is a wig, isn't it?
How did you get the cape strings to lie so nicely?
Have you been tempted to do something about the hat? The flat black across the whole thing bothers me on mine, but I'm not sure what would be appropriate. I'm also thinking about painting the boots, but I don't know how shiny or weathered I should make them. And what is the brown part supposed to be? Leather? Should it be clean or weathered? What do you think?

Am I asking too many questions?

Well?

AM I????

ARE YOU!?!?!?!

Nah.... :lol

Hey, since GW is one of my all-time favorite personages of History...I have spent ages researching him. First off, let me say that Sideshow has done an amazing job of getting the uniform dead on. Perfect. The colors are perfect. I saw all this stuff at the Smithsonian in D.C. when I went up to see my brother some time back. His green handled sword is there too, along with this uniform. It was tight like they have it on the figure, and is those colors exactly.
The hat is pretty non-descript black too. You/we might add some semi gloss to the trim of the hat maybe, to be the ribbon, but otherwise it's about right.

About his hair...
Now, this is a personal thing for me. First up, Washington never wore a powdered wig. Not his style. He got old. By the time he was President, he had gotten very white haired. That is the image everyone has of him due to money and other famous images. However, during the Revolution, he had reddish-brown hair that turned grey "In service to his country..." as he told his officers the day he "retired" as Commander-in-Chief. So, it was about like I have painted it at say, Trenton, or Valley Forge. Something early like that.
What you painted, is perfect for him as President Washington. ANd yes, he donned his uniform for certain events, and yes, would have looked exactly like you painted him, liver spots and all, and yes, your paintup is BEAUTIFUL! So please, don't change it!

Call it the "Traditional" image of Washington. Hence it's use by Sideshow for this figure.
I am just a Washington "fan" for lack of a better term.

I would not dirty his boots. He kept them pretty clean. He had a fellow, at the time a personal servant, Billy Lee, that rode a horse just as well as he did (GW was one of the best horsemen alive during his lifetime) and that meant Billy was one heck of a rider too, that kept his uniform immaculate. Do what you will with it paintwise. Dirty it for effect if you will. But that would be a disservice to Billy, who has fallen somewhat into the neglect of History.
Too bad too. He would be a neat figure to put at Washington's side. Good old Billy. Billy died a free man. Washington was the only Founding Father that freed his slaves.

Just a note of info.

Forgive a fella an opportunity to digress about Washington :D

Last edited:
Good info!

Okay, I don't mind having done up a "classic" Washington. That's more my style. In light of all the info you've given, I might semi-gloss his boots and also the ribbon on his hat.

Good job you two on the repaints. I like them both. It would be interesting to see him now with an aged reddish tone. Hmm.

Back