Verizon Droid (a.k.a. Google phone)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonloop

Super Freak
Reaction score
Anyone else here interested in the Droid? Seems promising and so far it seems to be getting good reviews, at least from the source below. Since it doesn't look like Verizon will get an iphone anytime soon if ever, this would be the best bet for Verizon users who want something similar to an iphone....but with great service ;).

Rumored to be announced on or around October 28th, with a release date on or around November 6th (2009 of course).

Verizon promo site: https://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/?cmp=OTC-Droid-redirect1
Specs: https://www.boygeniusreport.com/200...akes-appearance-on-motorolas-site/#more-37162
Mini Review: https://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/19/motorola-droid-hands-on/
Images: https://www.boygeniusreport.com/gallery/handsets/motorola-droid/
Preview/Review: https://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/23/motorola-droid-preview/

Anyways, comments?

i am due for an upgrade and i might pick 1 up in the next month or so.

I'm due for an upgrade as well, but it would depend on how much they charge me to go with this, and also how much it would be a month for the service.

I'm due for an upgrade as well, but it would depend on how much they charge me to go with this, and also how much it would be a month for the service.

Hopefully they give us several options for data plans. From as low as the standard $10 data plan to the higher ones (not sure what the max they have is).

I thought you were getting an iPhone.

Stuck with Verizon. Went with the Blackberry Tour. I love it! It has all the apps that I wanted on the iphone and plays my itunes. Plus I don't get to lose my service. So it's a win win for me.

Just saw a commercial on TV (during the suckattack Redskins game) for the Droid. The commercial said November, so I think the November 6th-7th release date is legit. Expect official pics and specs this week.

It's officially announced now. Coming out November 6th. https://www.droiddoes.com
More info as well on https://www.boygeniusreport.com

It appears that the cheapest mandatory data plan is $29.99. I really would like to get this phone, but damn an extra $30 per month? I wish the $9.99 plan was available, I want the phone for the phone obviously, but also wifi access and the apps. ^^^^, maybe i'll just get a regular phone and then buy an ipod touch to get the use of the wifi and apps.

Does anyone know if Verizon offers discounts or anything on data plans of any type?

Think i'm gonna pass on this. $30 a month....mandatory is just a ^^^^ing rip off. Especially if I am not going to be using the internet and email in the middle of the desert 24/7. They really got you by the balls with these smartphones and the required data plans.

I think i'll get the new LG chocolate touch, getting great early reviews and it does not require a data plan of any kind.....and i'll get an ipod touch to satisfy my wifi & apps needs.

Hmmm. This looks interesting. I've never been a fan of the landscape mode keyboard..... Reminds me too much of the SideKick phone. HATED that thing....

I have yet to find anything that can top my iPhone :D

Good thread... I'm up for my first "smart" "touch" phone and I have been checking out all my options.

the iphone seems to be very user friendly, but I wanted to see what the "network" had to offer. I just tried out the imagio this evening and it was the closest phone to give some competition to the iphone.

now that the Droid is starting to be relesed I've watched a few vid's of it and I can't wait to see it in person.

from what I've seen. the Droid will be bought over the iphone.

I was looking at the android marketplace for apps. Man is that thing confusing to navigate and figure out how to download apps. It seems like the apps are displayed there, but you have to click the link provided and download the app from the website of the developer. Plus so far, the apps available are no where near as good/cool/unique as the apps for the iphone/ipodtouch.

I was really excited for the Droid at first. But I think for those looking for this phone as an iPhone substitution, don't get it cause it will not be one.

Paying $30 extra a month for a nice 5mp camera that can shoot DVD quality images, GPS and a nice touch screen it's not worth it. The phone has wifi, if the person doesn't want internet access all over the country then why make it mandatory? They got you by the balls. Enjoy it while it lasts because it seems like in as little as a few years....all cellphones might include some sort of data charge.

I was looking at the android marketplace for apps. Man is that thing confusing to navigate and figure out how to download apps. It seems like the apps are displayed there, but you have to click the link provided and download the app from the website of the developer. Plus so far, the apps available are no where near as good/cool/unique as the apps for the iphone/ipodtouch.

I was really excited for the Droid at first. But I think for those looking for this phone as an iPhone substitution, don't get it cause it will not be one.

Paying $30 extra a month for a nice 5mp camera that can shoot DVD quality images, GPS and a nice touch screen it's not worth it. The phone has wifi, if the person doesn't want internet access all over the country then why make it mandatory? They got you by the balls. Enjoy it while it lasts because it seems like in as little as a few years....all cellphones might include some sort of data charge.

I have to admit I really am in love with my Blackberry Tour. It does everything that I would have wanted an iphone to do, that includes playing itunes. :D

Spotty performance on the Pre... Losts of flash, not as much performance overall.

Check out the two android phones that Sprint has. One is a Google type phone (which is the one I was thinking of) and another with a slide out keyboard.

Spotty performance on the Pre... Losts of flash, not as much performance overall.

Check out the two android phones that Sprint has. One is a Google type phone (which is the one I was thinking of) and another with a slide out keyboard.

The new Sprint Android phone is the Hero which I picked up yesterday at Best Buy for $130. So far, so good but I am just starting to get used to it. I haven't really had time to mess with it or look for any cool apps though. Plus I didn't have to change from my old unlimited data/450 minutes/unlimited nights and weekends plan at $70ish a month.

Got the iPhone 3GS last week (32GB) and it's one of the best purchases I have made. I absolutely love it. We never got service at our house with Verizon, so, no loss there. We get full service now with AT&T (even in the basement, 5 bars). Couldn't be happier with this phone.

:rock

My friend is getting the droid the day it comes out, I'll let everyone know how he likes it.

I'll be going tomorrow to check out the Droid.. the only (actual) bad thing I've heard about is the camera's performance.. :(

Back