PDA

View Full Version : New 3D Star Wars Rumor

Batty
10-22-2009, 09:07 AM
It's a rumor, so take it for what it's worth. :emperor

Jim here. Here is a strong rumor that should whet your appetites! (or sour them if you have had too much of the franchise). I have been hearing rumblings... extremely quiet at first, but now heating up significantly and from a trusted source - that George Lucas is preparing to unleash another STAR WARS trilogy upon us, this time in stereoscopic 3D. This is NOT the TV series, these are brand spankin' new 3D STAR WARS movies.

Yes, the pending 2D to 3D conversions of his six existing STAR WARS properties are still a go as 3D theaters are approaching 3000 (5000 is the number Lucas wants). No word on when this work will be completed.

But here is the shocker: Lucas will be producing and NOT directing these new episodes apparently! Could Steven Spielberg be tapped to direct a STAR WARS movie after all? Yes according to a trusted source of mine! Further, Francis Ford Coppola was mentioned too as a possible director for a future film!

A lot depends on the success of AVATAR this winter - if it takes off like everyone is expecting it to, then you will most likely see three additional STAR WARS movies added.

What an interesting competitive box office landscape that would make over the next 6 to 10 years! James Cameron's AVATAR world vs. George Lucas' STAR WARS world. I could see Lucas getting a little jealous over a successful launch of AVATAR - jealous because it is a fully articulated universe, like his. And if he doesn't act on it - his franchise may well be relegated to a back seat as potentially the records will start falling to Pandora. Heck STAR WARS is still not 3D yet and what better way to try to maintain a lock on bragging rights than to launch into three more in native stereoscopic 3D.

How seriously should you consider these rumors? Well it is coming from a source that SHOULD KNOW. This source is absolutely connected. So odds are it is seriously being talked about at Lucasfilm. Right now. Will it happen? AVATAR will have to hit and hit big and then all the stars have to align properly - all I can do is pass on the info.

Personally I WANT this to happen dearly. I REALLY want to see what the STAR WARS universe looks like in Spielberg's hands *AND* in stereoscopic 3D. You would too, wouldn't you? :-)

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/10/exclusive-lucasfilm-gearing-up-another.html

The Mike
10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Well....you know that Lucas isn't going to the Skywalker well anymore if he sticks to his comments and I seriously doubt he'll use anything written/established by other entities as part of his films completely so it should be interesting to see if he will write a set of new films that can hold their weight.

ProgMatinee
10-22-2009, 09:30 AM
yeah, would these be the long awaited 7-9 or a totally unrelated trilogy? My hopes are for mix of both.

How freaking awesome would be something more in the treatment of The Fellowship of the Ring where the current events are Episode 7-9 but the films flash back and interpolate Old Republic stuff for example.

Similar to how the SEs were used to test the waters for the prequels they really need to send out the OT in 3D and see how they fare.

In any event, I'm willing to spend another 20+ years of my life focused on Star Wars...:lol

plasticcrapmoneywaster
10-22-2009, 09:31 AM
That would be awesome, but my breath isn't being held. :maul

Memnoch
10-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Werent there Directors Guild issues that prevented Spielberg and Coppola from directing ESB and Jedi?

Mad Old Lu
10-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Chances are they would probably be something like the Clone Wars with Anakin and Obi Wan--skewed for a younger audience and all CG. I can't imagine Lucas investing the time and energy into 3 more full blown motion pictures even if he's not directing.

theokou
10-22-2009, 09:47 AM
According to Ain't It Cool News Lucas Arts PR denied working on any Star Wars theatrical movies:http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42788

Amanaman
10-22-2009, 09:47 AM
What ever happened to that crazy "Episode 0" rumor revolving around Yoda, some 88 years before TPM?

ProgMatinee
10-22-2009, 09:51 AM
According to Ain't It Cool News Lucas Arts PR denied working on any Star Wars theatrical movies:http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42788

that basically also shoots down the idea of the OT in 3D which based on years of reports we know Lucas wants to do....so you can't take LFLs word either.

pixletwin
10-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Hmmmmm.... I am not sure what to think... The news doesn't exactly excite me though. :dunno

Kuzeh
10-22-2009, 10:01 AM
We've known about the OT being released on 3D...
I'm not sure what it has to do with Avatar, seems like a marketing thing by Fox to me...

plasmid303
10-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Wait, isn't this just a very clever and subversive way to get the Star Wars fan crowd to watch Avatar?

Well, I was going to watch it anyway...

DinoLast
10-22-2009, 10:16 AM
3D is a bit overated IMO
I want them all in Blu-Ray first

Darth Cruel
10-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, to begin with. I freakin' HATE 3D movies. I am not sure if it is due to the color deficiency I have between my reds and greens, or being too logically-minded, but I have never been impressed by the 3D effect. Although I do see the depth, it has never looked like it was profound. I have been disappointed at every 3D movie I have seen.

So, if they do EI-EVI in 3D...I will certainly pass. And IF (and I doubt it HIGHLY) there are more original Star Wars movies, I hope they are also released in non-3D versions...or I will be missing them.

Further, If they do any more, whether it is one or a trilogy, I sincerely hope that they do story that is removed from the Darth Vader Saga. Like as in maybe a trilogy about one of the key battles in an outer rim world, and NOT taken from one of the novels already written. I would want to see completely new material. But I am not sure, after EI-EIII, that I would want George Lucas to write them.

Finally...Steven Spielberg directing...whatever:rolleyes:. Frances Ford Coppola directing? Now THAT I would like to see!

plasmid303
10-22-2009, 10:19 AM
3D is a bit overated IMO
I want them all in Blu-Ray first

Yep, because the future is Smell-O-Vision. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision)

Batty
10-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I just can't see a new project happening anytime soon considering the live-action tv show isn't supposed to air for another 2 years. And aren't Lucas and Spielberg working on a new Indy movie? Is he going to be working on these until he's in his 80s?

thenammagazine
10-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Werent there Directors Guild issues that prevented Spielberg and Coppola from directing ESB and Jedi?

Didn't it have something to do with the lack of credits at the intro's?

I just can't see a new project happening anytime soon considering the live-action tv show isn't supposed to air for another 2 years. And aren't Lucas and Spielberg working on a new Indy movie? Is he going to be working on these until he's in his 80s?

:lecture:lecture:lecture If anything I see Lucas passing off the OT and PT to be retrofitted for 3D. Beyond that, unless it's a 3D Clone Wars movie tying into the animated show, I highly doubt it.

But as others have stated, I want it on BluRay first! :tap

Mad Old Lu
10-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I've only seen one modern 3-D movie: Up. At first I was curious and excited about it. But I really hated the effect. I think it took away from the artistry of the animation. The 3-D effects forced you to focus on whatever was in focus and prevented you to take in the entire frame as a singular work of art, like all previous Pixar movies have been. Every time I would try and move my eyes around the frame to what was in the background, it would practically give me a headache!

Anyway, I saw no benefit to the 3-D effect and I have no desire to ever see another one again.

Balsquat
10-22-2009, 10:27 AM
You guys are all all nuts. I would love more theatrical Star Wars. One more round Lucas!!!

Amanaman
10-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I just want the original theatrical OT on Blu. Is that too much to ask for?

DinoLast
10-22-2009, 10:43 AM

Who? Harrison or Lucas? :lol

Rodders
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
That said, Lucas loves his technology. I think that he'd want to ride the wave of this new 3D tech and bring Star Wars back in. (It'll be interesting to see how much these would gross compared to new release movies. I for one will be in the queue waiting.)

Batty
10-22-2009, 10:51 AM
I just want the original theatrical OT on Blu. Is that too much to ask for?

The OT didn't come out on DVD until 2004. I'm not holding my breath for Bluray anytime soon.

Who? Harrison or Lucas? :lol

Aren't they both in their late 60s? By the time everyone agrees on a script they'll be close to 80. :lol

thenammagazine
10-22-2009, 10:56 AM
That said, Lucas loves his technology. I think that he'd want to ride the wave of this new 3D tech and bring Star Wars back in. (It'll be interesting to see how much these would gross compared to new release movies. I for one will be in the queue waiting.)

Which he's shown a habit of embracing by infusing into the current films. Again, I think if we see anything 3D, it'll either be the animated show gone movie, or his Star Wars sextet "Special Editionized" into 3D. Red and Blue Stormies anyone? :monkey4

DinoLast
10-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Lucas might make another Clone Wars movie, and make that 3D just to test the water.
I know the first Clone Wars did not do that well at the Box Office, but the show is well established now to a younger audience.

Amanaman
10-22-2009, 11:00 AM
The OT didn't come out on DVD until 2004. I'm not holding my breath for Bluray anytime soon.

SW on Bluray is not the problem, it will happen - I'm talking about the original pre-SE trilogy.. the one people seem to forget. The 2006 OOT releases were not remastered, and not even true widescreen.

Batty
10-22-2009, 11:11 AM
SW on Bluray is not the problem, it will happen - I'm talking about the original pre-SE trilogy.. the one people seem to forget. The 2006 OOT releases were not remastered, and not even true widescreen.

Yeah, and I still bought them. :(

galactiboy
10-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Wait, isn't this just a very clever and subversive way to get the Star Wars fan crowd to watch Avatar?

That's what I was thinking... if you want more SW, then go see Avatar :lol

thenammagazine
10-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Or don't care about. :dunno

DinoLast
10-22-2009, 11:23 AM

I don't think that will ever happen.
Anyway apart from Greedo shooting first I prefer the Special DVD editions.

Amanaman
10-22-2009, 11:27 AM
ESB SE is the most tolerable, as they changed little in it, but the Gungans in ROTJ? Come on.

galactiboy
10-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I don't think that will ever happen.
Anyway apart from Greedo shooting first I prefer the Special DVD editions.

Not me... honestly nothing in the SE (to me) added much to the films. If anything the changes always seem to take me out of the film... or just upset me (like the new Jabba musical number).

Amanaman
10-22-2009, 11:30 AM
The thing about the SE changes is how OCD they can get. Like Vader's eyebrows in ROTJ.. I understand the reasoning behind that, but they don't even bother fixing Luke's saber "off" sound when he runs from the Wampa cave?

DinoLast
10-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Not me... honestly nothing in the SE (to me) added much to the films. If anything the changes always seem to take me out of the film... or just upset me (like the new Jabba musical number).

Oh I forgot about that. Yeah I hate the Special Edition Jabba Musical number.
I do like that they put Ian McDiarmid in ESB though, and the Death Star Battle looks much better now.

Khev
10-22-2009, 01:25 PM
The thing about the SE changes is how OCD they can get. Like Vader's eyebrows in ROTJ.. I understand the reasoning behind that, but they don't even bother fixing Luke's saber "off" sound when he runs from the Wampa cave?

The "off" sound originally occurred before you see him running out of the cave. The ESB SE changed the editing so that you hear it turn off AFTER he runs out. In other words, there was nothing to fix until the SE messed it up.

Khev
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
It's a rumor, so take it for what it's worth. :emperor

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/10/exclusive-lucasfilm-gearing-up-another.html

Total BS about Lucas being "jealous" of the new technology. The LOTR trilogy didn't prompt him to step up his game for AOTC or ROTS, there's no reason to think that AVATAR will do otherwise.

DinoDB1975
10-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Rumor debunked?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42788

Darth Mitchell
10-22-2009, 03:04 PM
-Star Wars 3D... I wouldn't do it...
-The SE wasn't bad, appart for the Hayden Christensen ghost, Boba's "new" voice, still didn't fix the scène were Luke get's his fathers lightsaber and the Greedo shoots first thing... But the eybrows on Anakin in ep VI and the Whampa scene were good new adds.
-I wasn't going to Avatar, and still don't go... Another stupid director who thinks he can make something that's greater then Star Wars... Look at us... we are all (I suppose :rolleyes:) big Star Wars fans with a (huge) collection... So if this "one movie" thinks he can make us sell all our Star Wars stuff and buy all Avatar related things... I don't think he makes a chance...

That's my opinion...:D

rivera2171
10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm excited about it.Cant have too much Star Wars.

DinoLast
10-22-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't think any 3D movie will have the same impact on me as Star Wars had when I first saw the Star Destroyer appear in the first scene of the movie. I was only seven and I remember it like it was yesterday. I even remember the massive queue that went all the way down the road to get in to see it.

the dude person
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
3D = cheap trick that ruins movies (and your eyes) in most cases...

I wanna make cool movies like a Star Wars fanfilm, and I'll just feel like it was more suckish when I can't make it 3D....

perfectionism is like a disease that doesn't spread!

Just do it the good ol' way Lucas (or whichever other idiot is calling the shots for starwars... he reminds me of another George which recently left office... he wouldn't think for himself and just stamped his approval on everything), where the movie is two dimensional, release it in 3D for like a week in IMAX if you have to, but keep it 2D for the most part...

The Ween
10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I can't see where making them 3D is going to look that great. It's different when films are made for 3D, but to take an old movie and turn it 3D, well, I don't know.

Alot of the 3D movies they have made so far haven't impressed me that much.

rushmore223
09-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I can't see where making them 3D is going to look that great. It's different when films are made for 3D, but to take an old movie and turn it 3D, well, I don't know.

Alot of the 3D movies they have made so far haven't impressed me that much.

Not made for 3D? I am sure Lucas will claim he always meant these to be in 3D, but the technology had not caught up yet.

Yup, that's right, I just necro'd a 2 year old thread.

Wait til you see the changes in store for the 3 D release, lots of light sabers coming at you. :(

Superman
09-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Not made for 3D? I am sure Lucas will claim he always meant these to be in 3D, but the technology had not caught up yet.

Yup, that's right, I just necro'd a 2 year old thread.

Wait til you see the changes in store for the 3 D release, lots of light sabers coming at you. :(

Old thread, however a relevant topic. Lucas should definitely go ahead with a new Star Wars trilogy based off of the Old Republic. Perhaps a young Yoda. That way he can use a fresh story-line. Filmed in 3D ofcourse with Cameron's 3D cameras.

attom44
09-23-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd love to see the SW universe expand with new films. If Lucas isn't up for it, let some of his many talented and brilliant co-workers do it!!!! It's time to move forward, and stop moving backward!