Hot Toys DX01 The Joker (with cop disguise) full review + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
Well we’ve waited and we’ve waited for what seems an eternity, but one of the most anticipated figures of 2009 is finally here!
Mine was fresh off the delivery truck on Monday (12/10/09), but after a few late nights, and a mammoth photo sesion here’s my thoughts on the first DX from Hot Toys… The Joker!

I warn you now, it’s a long one, but a lot needed to be said!
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_101909b.htm

You’ll find all the classic features and other stuff over in the usual place at Mike Crawfords ‘seminal’ review site, Captain Toy- https://www.mwctoys.com/

01a3xJokerheadstudy.jpg

å
2xheads.jpg

03Lineup3.jpg

face1.jpg

face3.jpg

face4.jpg

face5.jpg

facecloseup.jpg

madeyes1.jpg

grenadesdetail4.jpg

Amazing review. The discussion about Heath's death at the end of your review was very touching indeed. I feel proud to own the DX - it feels like more than just the Joker, it feels like Heath.

Great review, Wookster. I agree with almost all of your points. I agree with you about Cop Joker's skin tone, but I disagree about the sculpt work on his lower face. One of the things I did when I first opened my Dx Joker package was put on my TDK blu ray. Watching the Cop Joker scene and how Heath presented his face showed how his facial gestures made his upper lip look thin. That grin/grimace did it. The differences between the lips of the DX head and the cop head makes the sculpting on the latter portrait seem intentional. Whereas the dx lips look almost puckered and juts outward, the cop's lip looks pull in.

I'm a bit confused with your assessment of the PERS eyes. You practically gush about their detail and durability (no paint chips) but you say that you miss JC Hong's painted eyes?

Again, great review, and I appreciate the comparison photos!

Amazing review. The discussion about Heath's death at the end of your review was very touching indeed. I feel proud to own the DX - it feels like more than just the Joker, it feels like Heath.
Cheers, this figure is certainly a small talking point, it's attracted a lot of 'second glances' and 'my god that's incredible' while I had him on my desk for review.
And Heath will now join the ranks of Monroe, Dean, Lee and Pheonix, we'll never know how great they 'might' have been!

Great review, Wookster. I agree with almost all of your points. I agree with you about Cop Joker's skin tone, but I disagree about the sculpt work on his lower face. One of the things I did when I first opened my Dx Joker package was put on my TDK blu ray. Watching the Cop Joker scene and how Heath presented his face showed how his facial gestures made his upper lip look thin. That grin/grimace did it. The differences between the lips of the DX head and the cop head makes the sculpting on the latter portrait seem intentional. Whereas the dx lips look almost puckered and juts outward, the cop's lip looks pull in.

I'm a bit confused with your assessment of the PERS eyes. You practically gush about their detail and durability (no paint chips) but you say that you miss JC Hong's painted eyes?

Again, great review, and I appreciate the comparison photos!

I'm willing to concede on the lips, but I still thought it looked a little odd... mind you a 'Chelsea Smile' is never gonna leave you looking normal!

Perthaps I didn't make it clear about the eyes, I LOVE the PERS feature, and the eye's look great...but I've been a big fan of the way JC gets his eyes to look so real and wet and glossy, there was a little part of me that would have liked to see this sculpt as a painted version 'as well'.

I LOVE the PERS feature, and the eye's look great...but I've been a big fan of the way JC gets his eyes to look so real and wet and glossy, there was a little part of me that would have liked to see this sculpt as a painted version 'as well'.

But we do have a painted version - the bank robber joker sculpt. They're essentially the same even if they aren't exactly identical. The paintjob and the PERS are the only things differentiating them without intense scrutiny. Thats actually my main beef with this DX figure that they didn't try for a different expression. The PERS, although a cool feature, looks its best on this figure when you put the eyes in the very same position as they are on the Bank robber sculpt...therefore kinda making it pointless. I would have preferred a laughing headsculpt which we are now otherwise unlikely to see. Oh well.

Still getting this figure as I like the cop version and I'll need an extra purple suit figure for when I get that Interrogation Room diorama.

Last edited:
Cheers Allan, and a-dev this head sculpt is similar, but NOT the same as the BR head. Look at the side by side shots the expression is quite different in hand, and the hair is much improved (IMHO).
The paint apps, though subtle, are also an improvement. So I'm more than happy with the cool PERS glass eyes to set this new improved paint application off. But I still love the masterful work JC does on eye's.
Honestly, have you ever seen anyone, be they a custom painter, or hi-end manufacturer better his work on eyes?

I initially typed my response before reading your review and then went back and edited it after I saw you had stated that they are different headsculpts.

However, for me, aside from the refinements you mention they're too similar. Even if they'd preferrred not to go so far as a laughing headsculpt I think they should have tried something different in terms of the fixed sculpt's expression. Because if there is a difference in expression its very subtle and it doesn't really do much for me beyond what we already had with the bank robber head apart from presenting a different 'stage' in his facepaint.

However, great detailed review, as always well done, you pretty much provide a service there.

Great review, I have this on pre-order from BBTS and can't wait for it to get here. I didn't jump onto the Hot Toys band wagon when the first figures came out so this will only be my second HT figure, Iron Man mkIII being my first. Of course I also have the DX Batman on order as well.
I do want some clarification though on which body to pick up for the Police outfit. When I purchased my IM mkIII I also bought a Slim body and Narrow shoulders body for Tony Stark and police outfit Joker. I also bought the Hot Toys "Man Suit" for Tony Stark. I've used the Narrow Shoulder one for Tony Stark and am now wondering if I should:

1. Use the Slim Body for Cop Joker
or
2. Switch Tony to the Slim body and use Narrow Shoulder body for Cop Joker
or
3. Buy a second Narrow Body to use for Cop Joker and have both on Narrow bodies and use the Slim for something else.

Any help in letting me know which is best for each would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cheers a-dev. I think the problem is that when Yulli did the BR heads the DX was still a twinkle in Howard Chan's eye.
If they had known for certain we were getting a DX at that point they may have been tempted to make the BR head more extreme, perhaps even a tongue flick. But collectors notoriously like reasonably neutral expressions, not all of us get each and every release!
So if you are just getting one, you may want something less specific to particular scene.
Likewise, with this Joker being the showcase for the DX line, they needed an expression that summed up the character without being too limiting for display options. Also, remember this is based on the 'grenade coat' moment, so that played a factor as well!

Great review, I have this on pre-order from BBTS and can't wait for it to get here. I didn't jump onto the Hot Toys band wagon when the first figures came out so this will only be my second HT figure, Iron Man mkIII being my first. Of course I also have the DX Batman on order as well.
I do want some clarification though on which body to pick up for the Police outfit. When I purchased my IM mkIII I also bought a Slim body and Narrow shoulders body for Tony Stark and police outfit Joker. I also bought the Hot Toys "Man Suit" for Tony Stark. I've used the Narrow Shoulder one for Tony Stark and am now wondering if I should:

1. Use the Slim Body for Cop Joker
or
2. Switch Tony to the Slim body and use Narrow Shoulder body for Cop Joker
or
3. Buy a second Narrow Body to use for Cop Joker and have both on Narrow bodies and use the Slim for something else.

Any help in letting me know which is best for each would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I used a narrow shouldered TT on my cop Joker, not sure how the slim would look, might be too weedy to fill the suit properly, Ledger was actually quite broad shouldered himself.

Great review! Very detailed and thorough. It was nice getting some insight into the past Hot Toys Joker variations.

Those tiny pins scare me and my meaty paws...:eek:

I used a narrow shouldered TT on my cop Joker, not sure how the slim would look, might be too weedy to fill the suit properly, Ledger was actually quite broad shouldered himself.

Thanks, guess I'm gonna have to break down and get another Narrow Shoulder TT, Unless anyone here can tell me if Tony looks ok on the Slim TT??

Back