Is it normal my ikea detolfs keep pinging ?.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uscmhicks

Super Freak
Reaction score
:lol
I cant find the right word so " pinging " is the best I can do.
Basically I've set up 3 detolfs and have put premium formats on two shelves ( doubled up the glass there stood on ) and a premium format on top.

Now there next to a pipe that gets relativley warm , not touching it but close. Now every now and then I will hear a ping , like someone is flicking the glass almost. Now either there is somebody doing that and their hiding in the room or something is wrong with them correct ?.
I'm getting all paranoied thinking the glass is going to shatter , is this normal ?.

Its quite a loud noise. I loosened the bolt things on top since I thought they may have been too tight but there still making the noise. It happens about four times a day , at least thats about how many times I'm hearing it.

Has anybody else heard the odd " ping " ?. :monkey1:lol

I'm an idiot when it comes to stuff like this so please don't have a nerd rage fit if its something simple. I'm just trying to protect my precious statues and figures !. :monkey3:monkey2

Have you checked the closet for boogie men? Cause ivenever heard this. Could the weight of the items be stressing the detolph in some way causing this noise.

I don't know much about detolf's but it does sound concerning. I would take all your stuff out and see if the noise stops. If it does I'd say you have an answer. If it continues try moving them somewhere else and see if it keeps happening.

well I have basically one premium format on top of each one and 2 inside , none of them being heavy really.
Theres collections on here with much much heavier things on them. :dunno

Hm..
I might try and take the stuff out and see if it still makes the noise like Agent suggested. :)

This is starting to get on my nerves. I bought the bestas , they turned out to look to much in the small room , now I've bought these and this problem is freaking me out. :lol

I wouldn't double to glass but that's just me :)dunno), I have used Detolfs for around 5 years without any problems.

The sound you are hearing is likely the expansion and contraction of the materials in the cabinets; esp since you noted it is near a pipe that lets off some heat.

I wouldn't double to glass but that's just me :)dunno), I have used Detolfs for around 5 years without any problems.

You mean you wouldn't double the glass shelves ?. Since thats what I've done.

The sound you are hearing is likely the expansion and contraction of the materials in the cabinets; esp since you noted it is near a pipe that lets off some heat.

Could this make the glass shatter and is it normal for this to happen ?.
Sorry for all the questions. I'm just a little worried. I keep thinking when I go to sleep I'm going to be woken up by a very load noise of these shattering and everything tumbling off. :monkey1

Thanks for the help by the way everyone so far.

sounds like expansion and contraction of the glass. try loosening the 4 screws on the top. just a little. it will ease up some of the pressure a little. i don't have mine completely tight.

Aside from the size how did the Bestas look for display? I'm wanting to get some and put the glass doors on them for my PF's.

sounds like expansion and contraction of the glass. try loosening the 4 screws on the top. just a little. it will ease up some of the pressure a little. i don't have mine completely tight.

I was thinking it may be the bottom screws since the top and bottom panels are basically identical and I think the bottom ones will still be tight. I obviously didn't want to take all my statues out though after putting them in but I'll be doing it now. :emperor
Thanks for the help man. :D

Aside from the size how did the Bestas look for display? I'm wanting to get some and put the glass doors on them for my PF's.

They looked awesome. Get them if you have the space. I prefer them to the detolfs but decided to get them due to them not being as big in depth and since they can display 12 inch figures better.

Thanks guys.

Nope. I never heard a peep out of the room until these were put in.
The noise is that loud I heard it last night watching a movie two rooms away. :horror:D
Wow! Then I would say it's definately the glass! It's probably heating up then cooling down. Not sure I'd like that. Could you insulate the pipe?

Wow! Then I would say it's definately the glass! It's probably heating up then cooling down. Not sure I'd like that. Could you insulate the pipe?

Thats what I was thinking. When I turn on the heating in the house it instantly goes warm so theres no way I can stop it.
Unless I freeze..hmm...I can't belive I actually find that debatable. :lol

Yeah, I was referring to doubling the glass (sorry I am watching baseball while typing); I wouldn't do it, but that might just be me.

What you are hearing sound alot like expansion/contraction, and it could certainly the glass if it got hot enough, or if after getting hot it was cooled very rapidly, like water splashing on it or something.

cool , thanks for the help LOTRFan. :)
I'll try a few of the things suggested and let you guys know what happens. I will have to wait until the morning though.
The neighbours here will moan if I make any noises now. :slap:lol

I was just going to recommend the same thing. Doubling glass does not equal doubling strength. It's not like wood, it just adds weight to the bottom shelf. This was told to me by someone at a store and I think someone even posted a link to a scientific explanation as to why. Thicker glass shelves does increase the strength.

mines literally 'pinging' as i type this!! 3 pings so far this evening!!
so strange! its done it off and on since ive had them!
i thought it might be was the little white plastic things that sit under the glass shelves!?? dont know why?? i have robocop,dutch,batman,MKIII and vader on their bases but without the actual stands/metal rods-every time it pings i think the figs are gonna fall over!

p.s mine is not near a pipe!-its about a foot away from my lcd tv and its not the weight causing it as i only have 3/4 hot toys figures on each shelf!

hunt-for-red-october.jpg

One ping only, pleesh.

Back