Bank robber Joker diorama base

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kj23

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hope this is the right section for this, such things seem popular in the star wars section.
I have way too much free time on my and after making these cases for some of my hot toys figures, https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64778
, i thought i'd try a base that was more of a diorama, or at least tied in with the figure more. not sure if it would have a cover over it or go for a square base and larger.
I'm wanting it to compliment the figure and since i'm no expert it shouldn't be too complicated. I want to more or less do this scene,
tdk_joker.jpg

i'll have to tweak it a bit but though but hoping to do basically the same thing. i'm hoping it's a recognisable image and would look cool.
starting to look at supplies and do some rough drawings.
so, would people be interested in seeing such a thing, my drawings, working outs and in progress shots? i love seeing that type of thing but no sure if other people do. i'd need some help and advice i'm sure too.
i can get some of my drawings up in a bit.

thanks guys. just to make sure i meant the street corner as the dio, not half a city block. just the joker standing on the corner on the pavement, bit of road and the streetlight, like i said, nothing complicated.
just ordered some materials now so should have something solid to show in a few days hopefully.
it was either this scene, inside of the bank or just before he gets arrested when he's shooting at the batpod in the middle of the street. i'll see how this goes first before digging a bigger hole for myself.

derichong, i've seen your stuff before, nice! if i have half the dedication you do i should be fine.

here's my rough of what i was thinking. not 100% accurate to that still i have above though. pulled the manhole cover in as you have to have one of them!
needed to centre it a bit to include everything so joker isn't standing tucked into a corner. i think thinking about 20cm square for the base. so it would have corner of pavement/kerb, road, road markings, manhold, section of street light. hopefully suitably textured and weather enough to looking interesting with whatever crap you find on the floor these days, cigarette butts, etc.
not sure if all that sounds boring and uninteresting though.
jokerbaserough.jpg

I've seen your round cases kj23, but i think they are way to small for the scene you want to achieve. If it was me, I would go for a square/rectangular base and try to get a high-res image of the half city block in the background to use as a backdrop. And then build the piece of the road and the corner so that it aligns with the backdrop. Also you can add a real led in the streetlight to shine just on top of the BR joker at night:). Hope it helps:lol.

lol, just saw your new post:eek:. Great that you went with the square approach. Your sketch looks solid. :D
here's my rough of what i was thinking. not 100% accurate to that still i have above though. pulled the manhole cover in as you have to have one of them!
needed to centre it a bit to include everything so joker isn't standing tucked into a corner. i think thinking about 20cm square for the base. so it would have corner of pavement/kerb, road, road markings, manhold, section of street light. hopefully suitably textured and weather enough to looking interesting with whatever crap you find on the floor these days, cigarette butts, etc.
not sure if all that sounds boring and uninteresting though.

thanks. the base i have with those cases aren't big enough like you said. i just like my stuff looking uniform but it's not practical. i think square at about 20cm like i said above would be ok. no case around it or above it. just free standing. i can give it a try and see how it looks, if it's bad i'll just pretend it never happened.
thanks for taking the time to give your input.

in the harsh light of reality after my cold related fever had passed i started regretting this idea. i've done a bit of it though to see how it looks.
base at 20Cm square looked a bit tight so it's 25 now. laid it out at full size with the joker to get an idea of scale, had to shift him off centre as it looked cramped, pics attached. also started on the street light, NO idea what i'm doing there, trying modelling clay which i've never used before, scary stuff!
jokerbasetestpaper.jpg

jokerbasetestpaper1.jpg

lightrough.jpg

thanks guys. the street light, or whatever it actually is, it's far from straight but not half as bad as in that photo.
i spent way too long doing those few things with the clay, it was hardly a painless experience. i learnt a few things doing them though.

teabelly, that was on my shortlist of simple dio's to start off with too. i'll see how this one goes first before i try another.

wow!!!!!!!!! you have some talent man!

not sure if you will be selling these in the future but i would definitely be interested!

the stuff i ordered for the road arrived today and was crap so ordered some new stuff i hope is better. not much i can do as i'm waiting on some foam board for the pavement.
faffed about with the street light some more and tried to work out how i could do the manhole cover, pics attached,
lampost.jpg

manholewip.jpg

manhole cover looks massive but it's only about 2 inches by 1 and a half. light need finishing and painting, never painted clay, i presume a base coat then the final color.........hopefully.

thanks. you should hurry up and do it before i finish mine so i can steal some ideas of you as i have no idea what i'm doing!

street light isn't 100% accurate as it's only on camera for a few seconds and heavily cropped so i fancied it up with a few extra little details.

no idea how the manhole cover is going to work either. i may do another one as i suspect it wont look right.

if anyone has any suggestions, hints or anything, dont be shy.

I bet my life that after this awesome creation/idea is finished all these collectors will barge in asking for a price.

"How much, how much! How long is it going to take kj! Puhlease! WE NEEDZ TO HAVE THIS!"

:rolleyes:

Anyway, great idea. Looks fantastic. Such a unique idea. I'm sure it's equally fun recreating it.

Superb job on the streetlight. As for the clay, I have no experience with clay, but if it's harden, then indeed your can prime it and paint it. I think the manhole can still work. Just add/glue a bottom layer to it and then spay paint the whole thing together so it looks as a 1-piece item. This way you can even make the manhole removable in your dio if you want:D.
Just holla if you need anything else:cool:

yeah..this is going to be awesome. can't wait to see it. you can show it from the front, and blow everyones mind.

Back