PDA

View Full Version : The officially unofficial Grey Hulk thread

Chicky
01-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Wow-
There sure are a lot of threads happening to discuss this collectible exclsuive. I thought it would be easier for Dusty, Chris and myself to track and address your points via one place. Afterall, our attention span does wander from all of our sleepless nights of web work.

Please note that we never do anything to punish any person or region specifically and to imply so seems a bit silly. We are a US based company and therefore work and post items within mostly a US time frame. We do, whenever possible, try to release things with other time zones in mind but since we sell INTERNATIONALLY, it is hard to please all of our long time collectors. As a matter of fact, we can not please all of them. Eastern US and European collectors should note that we have adjusted our Priority Pre-order start time based on their feedback.

We have also altered the release of the newsletter based on collector feedback. We were sending it out late Friday PST, which collectors told us they received it too late on Friday as well as through the weekend. Thus, we began sending it out earlier on Friday, which caused a problem for other time zones. The past three weeks, we have been posting it Thursday evening, so that it will be able to be viewed by a variety of time zones as well as being received by the EU timely for Friday morning.

The Hulk vs Spiderman exclusive was not a priority pre-order but was a normal pre-order offered to newsletter members first through the newsletter. Our podcast which became available at 4 PM (PST) also mentioned an ordering alternative to this item.

The Grey Hulk Exclusive was offered through the Green Hulk pre-order page on a first come, first served basis. We decide this was the best way to offer it. We believe a lottery system would be even more frustrating for collectors as the assignment is random and may give items to people who may not be dedicated Marvel collectors.

As our product is mostly Limited Edition product, then not everyone will be able to get into all editions. This is the nature of Limited Edition product. We have establish Wait Lists for anyone who has missed an opportunity to reserve an item via a pre-order. Many people have been successful in getting their reservations fulfilled.

We look forward to your constructive comments and suggestions. We hope that we will be able to answer all of your questions.

Best,
Chicky
Web Team
Sideshow Collectibles

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Chicky how is 3.00am helpful to me. I have spent around $10k on SS stuff. I am continuously praising the work on other boards and think your product is top notch. But i was in bed when you decided to put this up. I waited till 12.00am GMT and still nothing. This is the time my NL normally arrived. I hope that this 3.00am time is not going to happen again.

I would also like to point out that i mainly collect the Marvel line so this is particularly hard to take. I wasn't even given a chance to order this.

Darklord Dave
01-13-2006, 01:54 PM
jodoho made a good suggestion in the other thread. If they'd done everything the same, same ES, hide the link, just a hint in the podcast, no announcement.

But don't put the edition size up there until it sold out - it would get even more diehards and would take longer to sell out. Those that actually prefer the grey would have gotten it instead of people just attracted by the low ES. And then when it sells out - immediately put up the edition and those that got it have a nice surprise.

Personally (not being in Yurp) I thought the way it was done was fair, but the above suggestion could be even MORE fair. But I'm sure there would be complaints no matter how it was done.

Viking28
01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I think you guys did a good job with this Chicky and THANK you for posting the newsletter on Thursday nights instead of Friday. That way if I have a question I can ask the next day instead of having to wait for the weekend to be over.

You guys rock

Jesseawilson
01-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Well the last thing I want is a lotery. I want a direct effect on wheather I get it or not, then I have no one else to blame.

Jesse

Viking28
01-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Well the last thing I want is a lotery. I want a direct effect on wheather I get it or not, then I have no one else to blame.

Jesse

I TOTALLY AGREE! No lottery you get one or you dont end of story.

Agent23
01-13-2006, 02:09 PM

Jesse

I agree 110%.

I think Sideshow did a great job handling this. There is no way they can please everyone on an edition size of 50. I was upset I missed Obi-Wan and that was 1,750...

But, at the end of the day....it's the way it goes.

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:11 PM
How many MODs here are from outside the US?

Viking28
01-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Doomhammer is outside the States. Why?

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:15 PM
I think we need some defenders.:D

Viking28
01-13-2006, 02:19 PM
:) Bull I understand I've missed out on some pretty cool stuff, but you win some you lose some.

lcummins
01-13-2006, 02:19 PM
We have also altered the release of the newsletter based on collector feedback. We were sending it out late Friday PST, which collectors told us they received it too late on Friday as well as through the weekend. Thus, we began sending it out earlier on Friday, which caused a problem for other time zones. The past three weeks, we have been posting it Thursday evening, so that it will be able to be viewed by a variety of time zones as well as being received by the EU timely for Friday morning...

Could you take it one step further and make a set time on Thursday evening so people don't have to sit and refresh and wonder when it might get posted? I think that would have helped a lot in this case. You have done that with the priority pre-order times; we now know that the priority pre-orders are going up at 10 AM PST on Fridays and that allows everyone to plan for it and be at a computer if possible or at least a phone. Making the newsletter a set time would allow all time zones to plan to be at their computer and login to read it. Thanks for taking the time to listen to our suggestions. I know you guys are trying the best you can.

Kookie
01-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks Chicky...Sideshow bends over backwards to accomodate people. Keep up the good work!!!

This isn't Toy's R Us...people shop at Sideshow to get one-of-a kind items...please keep it that way.

You can't make everyone happy

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:22 PM
:) Bull I understand I've missed out on some pretty cool stuff, but you win some you lose some.

I won a Green Exclusive.:banana

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks Chicky...Sideshow bends over backwards to accomodate people. Keep up the good work!!!

This isn't Toy's R Us...people shop at Sideshow to get one-of-a kind items...please keep it that way.

You can't make everyone happy

Thats why i'm glad i ordered the Exclusive Predator Maquette.:D

lcummins
01-13-2006, 02:25 PM
...This isn't Toy's R Us...people shop at Sideshow to get one-of-a kind items...please keep it that way.

No, we are collectors of quality material, whether that is Sideshow or something at Toys R' Us. Except for a few pieces of original art that Sideshow list, none of their product is "one-of-a-kind"; they wouldn't be in business long if it was!

Shai
01-13-2006, 02:26 PM
ill trade my grey hulk for an Exclusive predator maquette...Seriously.

Viking28
01-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I won a Green Exclusive.:banana

Bull, I am one click away from ordering the Green also! I LOVE this piece, two awesome characters together.:banana

Bodie The Cursed
01-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Never got my email..Sometimes I get them other times not. Unfortunately this time was not. I had an ice cubes chance in hell...

*weeps*

Viking28
01-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Bodie dont wait for your email log into your account and check your newsletter from there!

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Bull, I am one click away from ordering the Green also! I LOVE this piece, two awesome characters together.:banana

They are huge sculpts and will take up alot of display space Viking but i would recommend u pick up the Green version. Doesn't have to be the exclusive version though. BTW does the Grey versions lights work?

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:30 PM

:D :D I don't think so.

lcummins
01-13-2006, 02:32 PM

I might give that one some thought! I think it will be far easier to get an exclusive Predator in the future than ole Gray!

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I might give that one some thought! I think it will be far easier to get an exclusive Predator in the future than ole Gray!

The exclusive Predator will double in money if you give it enough time and thats $2000. I can't see the Grey Hulk making that kind of money. I'd be very surprised if it did.

lcummins
01-13-2006, 02:37 PM
The exclusive Predator will double in money if you give it enough time and thats $2000. I can't see the Grey Hulk making that kind of money. I'd be very surprised if it did.

Maybe... but there is six times as many Predators! And recent history says it will go down after shipping.

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Maybe... but there is six times as many Predators! And recent history says it will go down after shipping.

I'd hold onto the Predator if i were you. The Green Exclusive is the way to go if you missed out on the Grey. If your looking for an exclusive Grey Hulk try Hard Heros one for the Statueforum 200 produced. And from what i see Hard Hero are the only ones not selling for less than retail on ebay.

Viking28
01-13-2006, 02:40 PM
They are huge sculpts and will take up alot of display space Viking but i would recommend u pick up the Green version. Doesn't have to be the exclusive version though. BTW does the Grey versions lights work?

Yea the Grey version does light up, I was thinking about getting just the regular one just trying to decide if I want both of them to light up or not.

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Yea the Grey version does light up, I was thinking about getting just the regular one just trying to decide if I want both of them to light up or not.

If a regular then a retailer or ebay is the way to go. Regular editions sell for less on ebay.

occulum
01-13-2006, 02:42 PM
But don't put the edition size up there until it sold out - it would get even more diehards and would take longer to sell out. Those that actually prefer the grey would have gotten it instead of people just attracted by the low ES. And then when it sells out - immediately put up the edition and those that got it have a nice surprise.
I think thats a great idea. Completely random/occasional, undisclosed low-run paint variants.

lcummins
01-13-2006, 02:43 PM
I'd hold onto the Predator if i were you. The Green Exclusive is the way to go if you missed out on the Grey. If your looking for an exclusive Grey Hulk try Hard Heros one for the Statueforum 200 produced. And from what i see Hard Hero are the only ones not selling for less than retail on ebay.

Oh don't worry, I ordered a Green exclusive last night as well as signing up for the wait list on Gray. I primarily collect Sideshow products, so it is sort of a double whamy to have missed him; missing from my Marvel line and from my overall Sideshow line.

ResinDog
01-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Yes but at least we won't have to pay for shipping. Being in Oz, I could buy the gray Hulk with the amount I save - if I were lucky enough to get my hands on one! :wacky

Gruson
01-13-2006, 02:47 PM

Not a bad deal for both...

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh don't worry, I ordered a Green exclusive last night as well as signing up for the wait list on Gray. I primarily collect Sideshow products, so it is sort of a double whamy to have missed him; missing from my Marvel line and from my overall Sideshow line.

Don't worry your not the only one. I was hoping to pick up all the versus exclusives but it ain't going to happen now. If you think i was angry about a grey hulk i would have turned green myself if the exclusive was the Black Symbiote Spidey. Now that would be an exclusive.

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Not a bad deal for both...

i'd never make that trade.

lcummins
01-13-2006, 02:52 PM

I've collected comics, trading cards, Tolkien and now Sideshow for over 30 years. The one thing I learned from that experience is I would rather have the rare item over the expensive item. I can always save the money up to buy the expensive item, but sometimes, no matter how much money you have, you can't find the rare item to buy in the first place. :google

Jesseawilson
01-13-2006, 02:52 PM

I would do it....

Jesse

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 02:55 PM
I've collected comics, trading cards, Tolkien and now Sideshow for over 30 years. The one thing I learned from that experience is I would rather have the rare item over the expensive item. I can always save the money up to buy the expensive item, but sometimes, no matter how much money you have, you can't find the rare item to buy in the first place. :google

If you want to make money in comic related items you really need to by rare comics or original artwork or even limited Giclees.

lcummins
01-13-2006, 02:57 PM
If you want to make money in comic related items you really need to by rare comics or original artwork or even limited Giclees.

Ah, but that's just it... I never said I wanted to make money with any of my collectibles! It's always nice of course, but I collect for the joy they bring me and for the friendships and discussions they bring about.

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Ah, but that's just it... I never said I wanted to make money with any of my collectibles! It's always nice of course, but I collect for the joy they bring me and for the friendships and discussions they bring about.

Ah my mistake. The best way of course is to commission a one off piece which i have done.:D

lcummins
01-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Ah my mistake. The best way of course is to commission a one off piece which i have done.:D

Hear! Hear! I have actually commissioned a couple of paintings in the past!

Bullseye
01-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Hear! Hear! I have actually commissioned a couple of paintings in the past!

I have a few Tony Perna originals. The one off i'm talking about is a Bullseye FS to match the Bowen line.

oxbeard
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Just saw this posted over at SF

What would have been nice if they were dead set on having only 50 made was have them inserted randomly. So lets say that there are 500 exclusive versions (with the blinking light), 50 of them would be gray, 450 would green. You would not know what you got until the product actually shipped so as to discourage people from ordering and cancelling. That way there is some chance involved and would be fair for all.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing some future small exclusives handled this way. The drawback I have really seen with chace figures like this has been some dealers (not all :D) pulling the chase figures to sell higher on the secondary market. But in the case of SS, you can only get the exclusives by ordering direct so that shouldn't be a problem.

I really liked the way HH did this with the Silver Surfer. They inserted 12 autographed pieces and 1 chrome piece.

I know this will open up another can of worms, but I kind of like the idea. :angelsmil

lcummins
01-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Just saw this posted over at SF

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing some future small exclusives handled this way. The drawback I have really seen with chace figures like this has been some dealers (not all :D) pulling the chase figures to sell higher on the secondary market. But in the case of SS, you can only get the exclusives by ordering direct so that shouldn't be a problem.

I really liked the way HH did this with the Silver Surfer. They inserted 12 autographed pieces and 1 chrome piece.

I know this will open up another can of worms, but I kind of like the idea. :angelsmil

But Ox, if you wanted to get both a green and a gray there would be no way to do it this way without going to the secondary market.

oxbeard
01-13-2006, 04:06 PM
But Ox, if you wanted to get both a green and a gray there would be no way to do it this way without going to the secondary market.

True, but there are going to be drawbacks to any plan. And I'm not saying this should be the only way to do this either. For some reason, I just like the idea as an alternative or occasional change.

elwood49
01-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I love what SS did with this piece, and this is coming from someone who doesn't have a Grey Hulk on order. I don't like the idea of random exclusives at all. Let the people who ordered first get the piece.

This is sort of like the "random winners" in the SS chats. I used to always win stuff since I knew the answers to the questions, but now anybody with Google can answer them. I guess I'm someone who thinks that people should "earn" something from their own merits instead of randomly winning it.

BTW, I can't believe anyone would trade a Predator Exclusive for a Grey Hulk! Although, I don't think the Predator maquette will go up in value, and will possibly even drop. No way does it reach $2k, especially with the larger Cinemaquette waiting in the wings at that price point.

The Grey Hulk doesn't even look good, IMO. The main people that want one are the ones that have an obsessive/compulsive desire to own everything by SS.

Viking28
01-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Totally against the random idea, I myself like how it was all done.

Agent23
01-13-2006, 04:14 PM
The other thing to consider if they did randomly give out 50 Hulks out of a 500 edition, you may have people complaining they didn't want the Gray version...the way they did it was fine in my opinion. First come-First Serve and we had a choice which version we wanted.

Bottom Line: You can't please everybody.

I missed out on all 3 Star Wars 12" Exclusives, yes it sucked. I got the Gray Hulk and Spidey which makes up for it to me, but, still it's just the nature of the beast. Not everyone is going to be able to get everything especially when we consider that some of these pieces are very, very limited ie: Gray Hulk and Spider-Man....

lcummins
01-13-2006, 04:14 PM
...The main people that want one are the ones that have an obsessive/compulsive desire to own everything by SS.

I never said I didn't have problems! :google

Agent23
01-13-2006, 04:16 PM
The main people that want one are the ones that have an obsessive/compulsive desire to own everything by SS.

I'm sure an edition size of 50 has some peoples' interests peeked as well.

:peace

elwood49
01-13-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm sure an edition size of 50 has some peoples' interests peeked as well.

Right, but I meant in the aftermarket. I bet at least half of the people who ordered it did so to sell it, and it's probably a higher percentage than that.

What I meant was the people that will undoubtably pay $1,000 just to have some Grey paint on Hulk's skin are doing so to have a complete collection.

lcummins, I didn't mean to single you out in particular. I know you basically have the entire 1/4 collection, which is awesome. I'm sure once you have them all, it's hard to go without one or two of them.

NASEDO
01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
My problem is I never remember an item going up for order on a thursday, I'm so used to the Friday order day and I think it used to be Saturday morning before all the changes. If it went up on Friday at 10 PST I would have gotten it, because I ordered the Hulk before the Aragorn. So my feelings are it should of went up today at 10 PST no announcement just when you click on the preorder for hulk options come up for green/grey.

And why I also thinks its a good idea to have multiple items go on sale at the same time it would rid of some scalpers, you would have to choose which you one you want, Aragorn, Hulk etc. and hopefully one sells out before you can order the other.

One more thing since Sideshow is affraid of Scalpers, for each edition Number write the owners name down, then if one goes on ebay you can trace the owner and make his account not be able to order exclusive, too harsh though. But its a way to keep track.

The Josh
01-13-2006, 04:53 PM
One more thing since Sideshow is affraid of Scalpers, for each edition Number write the owners name down, then if one goes on ebay you can trace the owner and make his account not be able to order exclusive, too harsh though. But its a way to keep track.

They give them out at random. So that would just make more work for SS.

SolidLiquidFox
01-13-2006, 05:01 PM

Now THAT is funny. SS is not going to police what you decide to do with your items once they are yours.

NASEDO
01-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Oh, Noooooo. I here Sirens. Its not the cops its the Sideshow police, hide the statues.
"Did someone put a limited edition Statues on ebay",
"it was me I'm so sorry".
"Sideshow police the criminal is right here, take this dirty rotten sclalper away".

Mithrandier
01-13-2006, 05:18 PM
For those who missed it........wait until the do the Mr. Fixit statue.

LOTRSWfan
01-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Oh, Noooooo. I here Sirens. Its not the cops its the Sideshow police, hide the statues.
"Sideshow police the criminal is right here, take this dirty rotten sclalper away".

All people would have to do is not say that the number is in the auction description. Then how would they know?

daelith
01-13-2006, 06:17 PM

A little later at the station:
Sideshow: "So, did you know that by scalping, we can lock your Sideshow account?"
Criminal: "But, I didn't plan to sell it until half-way through the ordering process...doesn't that make me a flipper and not a scalper per your reasoning? I mean, when I started the purchase, I had intended to keep it, but it appreciated too much by the time I got to the confirmation page..."
Sideshow: "hmmmm...good point, you must be one of our loyal customers; we apologize."
Sideshow: "BTW, can you umm...up your buy-it-now price, we need as much publicity as we can get before we up the ES for the next couple of runs..."

The Josh
01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
A little later at the station:
Sideshow: "So, did you know that by scalping, we can lock your Sideshow account?"
Criminal: "But, I didn't plan to sell it until half-way through the ordering process...doesn't that make me a flipper and not a scalper per your reasoning? I mean, when I started the purchase, I had intended to keep it, but it appreciated too much by the time I got to the confirmation page..."
Sideshow: "hmmmm...good point, you must be one of our loyal customers; we apologize."
Sideshow: "BTW, can you umm...up your buy-it-now price, we need as much publicity as we can get before we up the ES for the next couple of runs..."

For as much **** as you talk about SS and its products why do you buy them?

daelith
01-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Because I am the anti-Josh of Sideshow products. For everything they do wrong, or I perceive as wrong, I nitpick and raise a ruckus. Unlike you Josh, I don't let things slide. If we were all like you and no one complained...do you think we would get fixes? As a sideshow customer, I have just as much a right to ***** and complain when things go wrong as you have of defending them when it happens. If a bunch of us didn't raise issues with their paint jobs (ie. Boromir, Theoden, Helm's Deep, Golden Hall, etc.), do you think they would've implemented the QC process?

As for bitching, this is the FIRST time I've bitched about their Marvel products. I said on another board that the Hulk vs Spidey was out of scale; however, I also mentioned it wasn't critical. AND I also mentioned that I thought WvS and Sentinels were awesome. And because, of that, I ordered the Green exclusive--but I'm still furious about the Grey ordeal. So lemme ask you, what Marvel orders do you have coming?

Now, let me add, don't you think it strange that, as loyal as the Marvel supporters are--how come we didn't get this extra special treatment for the LOTR line? I've spent oodles more cash on LOTR and have yet to see this type of "reward" for our loyalty.

Viking28
01-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Because I am the anti-Josh of Sideshow products. For everything they do wrong, or I perceive as wrong, I nitpick and raise a ruckus. Unlike you Josh, I don't let things slide. If we were all like you and no one complained...do you think we would get fixes? As a sideshow customer, I have just as much a right to ***** and complain when things go wrong as you have of defending them when it happens. If a bunch of us didn't raise issues with their paint jobs (ie. Boromir, Theoden, Helm's Deep, Golden Hall, etc.), do you think they would've implemented the QC process?

As for bitching, this is the FIRST time I've bitched about their Marvel products. I said on another board that the Hulk vs Spidey was out of scale; however, I also mentioned it wasn't critical. AND I also mentioned that I thought WvS and Sentinels were awesome. And because, of that, I ordered the Green exclusive--but I'm still furious about the Grey ordeal. So lemme ask you, what Marvel orders do you have coming?

Now, let me add, don't you think it strange that, as loyal as the Marvel supporters are--how come we didn't get this extra special treatment for the LOTR line? I've spent oodles more cash on LOTR and have yet to see this type of "reward" for our loyalty.

Sure you did asked for a Peter Jackson statue recieved a Peter Jackson statue, asked for a Mumak got a Mumak. What about the Witch King Crown?

DannieDarKo
01-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Shaihulud

That kind of trade is welcome here as well. :cool:

daelith
01-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Sure you did asked for a Peter Jackson statue recieved a Peter Jackson statue, asked for a Mumak got a Mumak. What about the Witch King Crown?

Haha, I can't tell if you're being serious or you're being sarcastic.

The Wiki helm was only attainable if you purchased every medallion--which they were PLANNING to sell at 10,000 ES. Peter Jackson is 3500 and the Dying Elephant is 3000. You're comparing them to *coughs* an exclusive with 50 ES?

tomandshell
01-13-2006, 10:32 PM

Speaking for myself, I would have to really trust somebody to send my Gray Hulk off in the mail with the assumption that something else was headed my way in exchange...

SolidLiquidFox
01-13-2006, 10:41 PM

The Wiki helm was only attainable if you purchased every medallion--which they were PLANNING to sell at 10,000 ES. Peter Jackson is 3500 and the Dying Elephant is 3000. You're comparing them to *coughs* an exclusive with 50 ES?

He's obviously kidding. We'll see where all this trade talk of Gray Hulk is when the item is actually released. :angelsmil

Darklord Dave
01-14-2006, 12:01 AM
This is a thread started by SSC for relevant feedback on the Grey Hulk experiment. In light of that I'll be editing posts that don't correspond to those guidelines.

TheWitchKing
01-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by tomandshell
Speaking for myself, I would have to really trust somebody to send my Gray Hulk off in the mail with the assumption that something else was headed my way in exchange...

Yes, would be best if the members involved in the trade were in the same area or driving distance.

Alice Adrenochrome
01-14-2006, 07:49 AM

Excellent post.
Buying from SSC is not like being a member of a sect, so there is absolutely no room for doctrines here.

Shai
01-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Excellent post.
Buying from SSC is not like being a member of a sect, so there is absolutely no room for doctrines here.

I agree also....

Viking28
01-14-2006, 01:34 PM

I dont know how long you been collecting LOTR statues, but people started screaming that the edition sizes for the LOTR pieces were to small. That it wasn't fair to the fans having them with low edition numbers. So they upped the edition sizes, and the funniest thing is when they released the Newborn and it sold out then it was released that it had a edition size of 500.
People were calling it unfair, Sideshow betrayed me, Sideshow stabbed me with a knife ect ect ect. Sound similar? So no wonder they turned away from doing that stuff with the LOTR license.

And lets not forget about the Free Cave troll hammer with your orders over a hundred dollars.

daelith
01-14-2006, 02:57 PM
As for the LOTR collectibles, the TBA sign was up and people who wanted it ordered it like they should have. When the edition was announced, people clamored to get it, but ultimately, it wasn't a stunt masked as a "reward" for their loyal fans. Per Sideshow's argument, they were trying to keep it off the hands of scalpers, yet, according to them, the definition of scalper changes depends on intent, which I had pointed out was very ambiguous.

If they wanted to know who was loyal, why not run it through their database to see who's been buying their marvel stuff? Remember, these are the same folks who claimed that they could filter out cc#'s, names, addresses, etc. to filter out double orders on LOTR stuff. And as I've mentioned, can you compare what you've mentioned to the ludicrously small ES for the Gray Hulk? I thought you were kidding--heck, Solidfox thought you were kidding as well. Regarding the size of the ES, it wouldn't even be an issue if they had stayed the course with their newsletter method they've been advocating for weeks..."Sign up and get a heads-up on exclusives!"...umm yea.

It's gotten to a point where exclusives are no longer exclusives and exclusives are really uannounced regular editions...in which case, why use the newsletter, just place your faith in the forum.

Jesseawilson
01-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Seriously though I think some of us just need to accept the fact that we missed it and move on with our lives. If this isn't the end of the world for you then stop acting like it. If it was then pay whatever people want for it on the secondary market and you'll have it. Obviously some of us still have a lot of growing up to do.

Jesse

TheWitchKing
01-14-2006, 03:13 PM
I agree Jesse, bigger world out there.

oxbeard
01-14-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm with you Jesse,

It is definitely time for some people to move on. Hey, if your feathers are that ruffled, it is a simple decision. Cancel your current orders with Sideshow and move on. If you have that bad an opinion of them then you need to find a company that can better satisfy you. Personally, I have found that company with Sideshow. Sure they're not perfect and I haven't like all of their products nor have I been able to get all of the pieces or preorders that I wanted. In the end big deal, there will be something else down the road that will fill the void. Point is that for my collecting dollar I have yet to find another company that has done as much, listened as closely, and given back as much to the collector as Sideshow has.

PS Sorry Dave, I know this is not quite in line with the intent of the thread, but sometimes I can't help myself.

noseeb13
01-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Can't move on........:google
I have an extreme case of collectorsits, I ordered the regular exclusive but the fact that there is only 50 makes me want this even more. Just like with Bowen's Phasing Vision, I like the Vision and ordered the regular version. But when I found out about the exclusive, I wanted it, then when I realized it was the lowest produced FS I had to have it for collecting sake. Sadly I missed it when it went up, cause I had not idea about it, and now I check his site multiple times a day and now I have started posting and checking the statueforum board just so I don't miss out again. Thankfully a guy I know was willing to sell his vision to me and save me from having to buy it on ebay.

Alice Adrenochrome
01-15-2006, 05:16 AM
Seriously though I think some of us just need to accept the fact that we missed it and move on with our lives. If this isn't the end of the world for you then stop acting like it. If it was then pay whatever people want for it on the secondary market and you'll have it. Obviously some of us still have a lot of growing up to do.

Jesse
No problem with moving on. Some of us missed it! That's a fact. The only thing I hope is that this will never happen again. SSC should read every post on this matter very attentively. As for the growing up... Jesse, I am sure you will be a leading example! All eyes on you from now on.

Kookie
01-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Some of you here need a reality check. I can't believe the arrogance of some of you who want to demand Sideshow to operate based on YOUR preferences.

They can do whatever the hell they want. If they want to make an edition size of 1 they can, if they want to release something on Thursday, they will. Thanks to some of the cry babies on this board we will probably never get a small edition size like the Hulk again.

This debate goes beyond this board, if Sideshow bows under the pressure of some people on this forum we could see less exclusive items. Everything in the future could having edition sizes of 3000+, including exclusives.

I really feel bad for some on this board if something like the Gray Hulk get's them that upset. Time to stop having your mommy hold your hand and get a life.

SolidLiquidFox
01-15-2006, 08:29 AM
...in which case, why use the newsletter, just place your faith in the forum.

That's the only way I was able to score a Gray Hulk. You guys here and the statueforums. The newsletter is cool but I depend more on the forums for info and leaked pics such as in the case of the HulkVsSpidey.

I hope the Gray Hulk stunt served it's purpose primarily as a way to generate buzz. That way we can all move forward to the business of collecting these awesome pieces.

Viking28
01-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Some of you here need a reality check. I can't believe the arrogance of some of you who want to demand Sideshow to operate based on YOUR preferences.

They can do whatever the hell they want. If they want to make an edition size of 1 they can, if they want to release something on Thursday, they will. Thanks to some of the cry babies on this board we will probably never get a small edition size like the Hulk again.

This debate goes beyond this board, if Sideshow bows under the pressure of some people on this forum we could see less exclusive items. Everything in the future could having edition sizes of 3000+, including exclusives.

I really dont think we will see something like this again, which is pretty sad. Because the next time it could of been them who got one of the low edition runs.

Bullseye
01-15-2006, 09:41 AM

I really feel bad for some on this board if something like the Gray Hulk get's them that upset. Time to stop having your mommy hold your hand and get a life.

Look Kookie, you seem to forget why i first posted this thread...go back and read it again instead of preaching from your pulpit. Get off your high horse before you get a nose bleed. If you live in the US and missed out on this i have no sympathy for you if you live outside Europe, Asia or Australia then i do. Get it through your head, this was posted (my time) at 3.00am a full 3 hours after the normal posting time. Sideshow previously posted NL's at (12.00am my time) and i made it a point of staying up to read it. I know they have moved to Thursday too so thats unfortunate as well. We have to sleep sometime. Maybe now you may understand my frustrations. And don't ever refer to me as a cry baby when your obviously not mature enough to put across your arguement without insulting people.

LOTRFan
01-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Quite a discussion going on here, and one I hadn't intended on jumping into, because a) I am not a Marvel aficianado, b) the Hulk is my first Marvel piece (for now). I must say however that things sure have gotten petty. Those who have complaints just call or email SS, their customer service is amazing, and I am sure they will listen to your gripes.

But let's ask ourselves what the purpose of this piece was, to me it seems almost like what SS does during the Spooktaculars, etc, a hunt to find an item that most will not be able to get (either for significant discounts, or in this case a variant color). I don't think anyone can really say that with such a small ES that this was ever meant to be a piece for the public, it was always for the select few - and I am not one of them. To me the true exclusive is the green, the gray is more of a prize, one which could never satisfy all. I guess that is why it was not announced in the newsletter, it wasn't designed to be for the "common collector." The podcast listeners were given a special treat, for taking the time to listen, why is that so hard to grasp? I guess that is how I have reconciled the issue, it is a prize for a few, and it is hard to gripe over a prize. I do however think that it may be wise for SS to announce the purpose behind this piece, that could alleviate the difficulties of some in why they missed this.

I am in no way trying to redicule or offend, but I think the nature of the piece is largely misunderstood. The Gray Hulk seems to me to be a reward for those listening to the podcast, the Green Exclusive is what we are accustomed to - with newsletter warning.

daelith
01-15-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm very capable of making personal attacks, but have refrained. So instead of saying "grow up" or "get a life", etc., please add something to the thread. And if you're altogether happy with the way this one was handle--and you wish this method to continue in the future--just say so and leave it at that. Otherwise, see if you can discuss the following points, which I assume other members can add to:

1) Forum is more useful than newsletter. We're told not to post newsletter, conditioned to expect a date/time for pre-order, etc...yet in the end, forum is more useful. Faith in newsletter = nil.
2) Newsletter supposed to give heads-up to exclusives; but in this case, a regular pre-order is the de-facto "exclusive."
3) Exclusive meant to reward "loyal customers" --yet does not take into account sales history, which would probably be more accurate in identifying "loyal customers."
4) Exclusives aims to allude scalpers not "flippers", but Sideshow's definition of the two is dependent on motive, which is impossible to determine at point of sale.
5) How big does Sideshow believe their "loyal customer" base to be? And to what extent does angering the 100's of those loyal customers justify the buzz that's being created.
6) To what extent is this just prelude to release a Gray Hulk Regular Edition (which I'm deadest again, and I'm also deadset again increase the Gray Exclusive #).

ferlin
01-15-2006, 11:45 AM
To live in europe and order from sideshow is only negative.
1. Time different.
2. Expensive shiping cost
3. Never get low numbers.
4. Long waiting for the item`s
Sideshow move to Europe.

Bullseye
01-15-2006, 11:47 AM
I am in no way trying to redicule or offend, but I think the nature of the piece is largely misunderstood. The Gray Hulk seems to me to be a reward for those listening to the podcast, the Green Exclusive is what we are accustomed to - with newsletter warning.

Wouldn't it be better to reward the people who are actually buying their product rather than people listening to their podcast. They would know from my details that i have ordered all of the Marvel lines both 1/4 scale and versus. I know you are pointing out a fact and this is not meant to be a counter point to you just a suggestion to SS that in future you give your loyal buyers a heads up and not give scalpers/flippers a better chance of getting a very limited run ahead of someone whom you know has been buying your entire Marvel Line.

Bullseye
01-15-2006, 11:49 AM
To live in europe and order from sideshow is only negative.
1. Time different.
2. Expensive shiping cost
3. Never get low numbers.
4. Long waiting for the item`s
Sideshow move to Europe.

We can only hope. They have a EU wareshouse which is basically a distribution house. But your right the prices for non-exclusives is very expensive when compared with ebay prices. Now if you want exclusives you buy direct from SS yet you do not get rewarded for buying direct from SS. And thats the bottom line, you are not rewarded for buying direct from SS.

LOTRFan
01-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Wouldn't it be better to reward the people who are actually buying their product rather than people listening to their podcast. They would know from my details that i have ordered all of the Marvel lines both 1/4 scale and versus. I know you are pointing out a fact and this is not meant to be a counter point to you just a suggestion to SS that in future you give your loyal buyers a heads up and not give scalpers/flippers a better chance of getting a very limited run ahead of someone whom you know has been buying your entire Marvel Line.

There is no way or reason to rebut this, it would just be a different way of doing things. I think your suggestion is a good one Bullseye, and SS has done this in the past (CT hammer, the constant FREE stuff included in orders, etc).

As for my post earlier, what I still think needs to be addressed is WHAT this figure was designed to be. In my opinion the issues raised by daelith and others are moot, if this was a reward to those searching the SS site. If that is the case, to the winners go the spoils. The rest myself included, can be rewarded with the real exclusive ... a green Hulk.

Bullseye
01-15-2006, 11:55 AM
There is no way or reason to rebut this, it would just be a different way of doing things. I think your suggestion is a good one Bullseye, and SS has done this in the past (CT hammer, the constant FREE stuff included in orders, etc).

As for my post earlier, what I still think needs to be addressed is WHAT this figure was designed to be. In my opinion the issues raised by daelith and others are moot, if this was a reward to those searching the SS site. If that is the case, to the winners go the spoils. The rest myself included, can be rewarded with the real exclusive ... a green Hulk.

I agree it was needed to breath live into the line as they seem to find it difficult to sell and are not holding their value on the secondary market. Again i have no problem with the #50 it was only the time posted.:o

LOTRFan
01-15-2006, 11:59 AM
I agree it was needed to breath live into the line as they seem to find it difficult to sell and are not holding their value on the secondary market. Again i have no problem with the #50 it was only the time posted.:o

And to that I have no response other than I am sorry it didn't work for you. :peace

Bullseye
01-15-2006, 12:02 PM
And to that I have no response other than I am sorry it didn't work for you. :peace

Glad we are still friends.:cool: Congrats again to the lucky 50.

oxbeard
01-15-2006, 12:06 PM

Not trying to pick on you here Bulls and I completely agree that it would be nice to reward loyal fans of a particular line. The only problem I have with this is how do you define loyal fan? There are a lot of collectors just like myself who started out ordering everything directly through sideshow, but because of expanding interest in all of the lines have had to cut back to only ordering exclusive directly while ordering the rest through retailers or eBay at a huge savings. This has been the only way to afford everything.

It will be easy to track direct orders but currently impossible to track orders made outside of sideshow. Does this make those who buy their merchandise elsewhere any less loyal than those who buy direct?

Granted we are supposed to see some Rewards program later this year maybe and most likely it will be rewards for direct purchases only. Not saying this is wrong and I plan to participate for the exclusive purchases I make direct with Sideshow, My point only is for those that want rewards based on loyalty should you exclude those collectors who have to buy there items retail to save money? If not, how do you equal the playing field?

daelith
01-15-2006, 12:09 PM

1) Post #1: Reward "dedicated Marvel collectors."
2) Post #1: This "was a normal pre-order offered to newsletter members first through the newsletter", which was also also mentioned in their podcast. I got my newsletter on Friday. Would you rather be a person on the SS site or a person reading the forums when it went up? Do you think my point that the forum is more important than Sideshow's newsletter is moot?
3) Check on definition of "De-Facto"

Bullseye
01-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Not trying to pick on you here Bulls and I completely agree that it would be nice to reward loyal fans of a particular line. The only problem I have with this is how do you define loyal fan? There are a lot of collectors just like myself who started out ordering everything directly through sideshow, but because of expanding interest in all of the lines have had to cut back to only ordering exclusive directly while ordering the rest through retailers or eBay at a huge savings. This has been the only way to afford everything.

It will be easy to track direct orders but currently impossible to track orders made outside of sideshow. Does this make those who buy their merchandise elsewhere any less loyal than those who buy direct?

Granted we are supposed to see some Rewards program later this year maybe and most likely it will be rewards for direct purchases only. Not saying this is wrong and I plan to participate for the exclusive purchases I make direct with Sideshow, My point only is for those that want rewards based on loyalty should you exclude those collectors who have to buy there items retail to save money? If not, how do you equal the playing field?

Thats a valid point oxbeard but aren't the exclusives only available through SS? Are we not referring to exclusives. I agree it makes sense to purchase non-exclusives outside SS, example being the Red Elektra which looks better than the white. But i ordered the Red Direct, maybe i am stupid for ordering direct but i just love the exclusives offered to date.

Could you imagine if the Green Exclusive was sold out before the morning too. I wonder how exclusive thats actually going to be.

oxbeard
01-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Are we not referring to exclusives. . . . ..

I may have misunderstood. And it wasn't just your post Bulls, I have seen several posts referring to loyalty to a line. Which I figured consisted of the entire line both exclusives and non-exclusives.

Could you imagine if the Green Exclusive was sold out before the morning too. I wonder how exclusive thats actually going to be.

I know what you mean, that is actually almost how it was for me with the exclusive Han Solo PF. Of course its ES is 5x that of the Grey Hulk, but by the time I got up Sat morning I ended up getting one of the last ones. And in the end I ended up liking the regular better and gave my exclusive up to a waitlist member. And I actually happen to like the Green Hulk exclusive better than the Grey Hulk exclusive too. Not really motivated by the ES.

Bullseye
01-15-2006, 12:29 PM
I may have misunderstood. And it wasn't just your post Bulls, I have seen several posts referring to loyalty to a line. Which I figured consisted of the entire line both exclusives and non-exclusives.

I know what you mean, that is actually almost how it was for me with the exclusive Han Solo PF. Of course its ES is 5x that of the Grey Hulk, but by the time I got up Sat morning I ended up getting one of the last ones. And in the end I ended up liking the regular better and gave my exclusive up to a waitlist member. And I actually happen to like the Green Hulk exclusive better than the Grey Hulk exclusive too. Not really motivated by the ES.

Hey we need a new 1/4 scale announcement.:D

tomandshell
01-15-2006, 12:32 PM
And I actually happen to like the Green Hulk exclusive better than the Grey Hulk exclusive too. Not really motivated by the ES.

You're not alone. I have been showing my friends and family the picture of the Gray Hulk that I managed to order, with great excitement and enthusiasm. Every single one of them, with no exception, said something like: "That's stupid! Why is he gray? The Hulk is supposed to be green. Can't you get it in green?" Show somebody something exciting and they yawn... As a cultural icon, the Hulk is famous for being green, and that is how many people would prefer him.

EDIT: Thanks, pitchin! That didn't make any sense...

pitchin
01-15-2006, 12:37 PM
You're not alone. I have been showing my friends and family the picture of the Gray Hulk that I managed to order, with great excitement and enthusiasm. Every single one of them, with no exception, said something like: "That's stupid! Why is he green? The Hulk is supposed to be gray. Can't you get it in green?" Show somebody something exciting and they yawn... As a cultural icon, the Hulk is famous for being green, and that is how many people would prefer him.

eh? :confused: :confused:

screamingmetal
01-15-2006, 06:40 PM
I was never going to order this statue anyway, but I missed all the excitement being off line.
Personally, I've never been that big of a Hulk fan but I've always liked the Gray Hulk version the most. I've always understood that he's smarter and more in control then the usual Green version. There's a Smart Green version out there too, but that version never interested me. My interest is mainly because of the Mister Fixit persona of the Hulk.
It's a great looking statue whether it's green or gray anyways.

Shai
01-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I was never going to order this statue anyway, but I missed all the excitement being off line.
Personally, I've never been that big of a Hulk fan but I've always liked the Gray Hulk version the most. I've always understood that he's smarter and more in control then the usual Green version. There's a Smart Green version out there too, but that version never interested me. My interest is mainly because of the Mister Fixit persona of the Hulk.
It's a great looking statue whether it's green or gray anyways.

i ALSO PREFER THE GREY HULK FOR THAT REASON:LESS STRONG, SHORTER, SMARTER,WISE-CRACK A LA WOLVERINE, AND THE jOE fIXIT CHARACTER WAS A GREAT ADDITION TO THE HULK STORY AT THAT TIME...

The Josh
01-15-2006, 07:33 PM
As the old saying goes ya snooze ya loose. I think Matt said it the best that people who took the time to listen to the podcast where given a great hint to be on the look for something. The people listening to that are most likely as loyal a customer as those that don't. So they got rewarded for taking the time. With regards to being fair to all time zones well sorry they are a US company trying to put things up that not only match the world but the US as well. If some outside the US can't handle that well I'm sorry but hey it happens. I also agree with another poster that it's really rude and arrogant for people to think SS should bend to their personal need. That's what I keep seeing more and more though. Could this have possibly been handled a little better of course I'm sure there is something in this whole mess that coule have been, but for some to have said the things they've said is just utter bull.

If you live in the US and missed out on this i have no sympathy for you if you live outside Europe, Asia or Australia then i do. Get it through your head, this was posted (my time) at 3.00am a full 3 hours after the normal posting time. And don't ever refer to me as a cry baby when your obviously not mature enough to put across your arguement without insulting people.

Well, with that kind of statement I sure as heck don't feel bad for ya now. So if your in the US like me and had to coach a basketball game and missed the announcement. That's just too freaking bad for you but since I'm a poor EU person that was a sleep feel bad for me. Give me a ******* break. Get it through your head that it went up at the best time for as many people as possible. Again they are a US COMAPNY!!! They have to try and please as many of us as possible as well. Sorry you where a sleep but if they try and do it when your brite eyed and bushy tailed someone else might be a sleep. So I ask what makes you so special?????? I won't refer to you as a cry baby since I think your posts do a good enough job for you. :D

tomandshell
01-15-2006, 07:40 PM
The most important thing is not that it went up at a "good" or a "bad" time, but that it went up at a consistent time. It went up at the same time that it did the week before, and there was a thread on this board alerting you to that fact last week. (LINK (http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6272)) If you were excited to order the piece, then you knew what time to expect it to go up. Sideshow did not deviate from last week's timeframe. I was excited to be the first to order Skinner, and I was excited to be the first to order Hulk. In the case of Hulk, Sideshow gave me a little something extra to be excited about. If you wanted to be the first to order Hulk, you knew what time to do so. Had you known what was going to happen, many more would have made a point to be the first. Sideshow was rewarding those who make it a point to be first without knowing. (Although, once again, they gave us a clue in the podcast...)

The Josh
01-15-2006, 07:48 PM
It went up at the same time that it did the week before, and there was a thread on this board alerting you to that fact last week. (LINK (http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6272)) If you were excited to order the piece, then you knew what time to expect it to go up. Sideshow did not deviate from last week's timeframe.

That's one thing I've been saying. The last 2-3 newsletters have been getting posted on SS site at the same time so if your even half alive you should've noticed this.

pitchin
01-15-2006, 07:52 PM
well believe it or not.....there were people bitching, during the 30 mins the grey Hulk was up for preorder, that why should it cost $25 more for grey paint!!!
:D :D :horror

Not me though

Viking28
01-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I forgot about that!!! It was still up for preorder and people were complaining about paying extra for a exclusive!

Winged Shadows
01-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Not really into the Marvel line, but I think it's great for Sideshow to have offered the grey hulk, and especially for keeping it so limited. For those that got one, i hope ya like it loads. :D

For everyone else that wanted one - comiserations. Just don't pull your hair out over it, it's not too different to the green exclusive. Buy the green one and paint it grey! It can't be that hard.

About the timezones, well people say it went up at 3.00am (uk) time but that ain't no biggie. Pitch was able to get one - so it's all good. He can take one for the team - :banana Personally, I had no idea this was even going up since i'm not on much here anymore.

I get the feeling quite a few people are crying 'cause of the 50 edition size, and they were hoping for it to pay their mortgage. I hope those people can find some realistic long-term investments.

p.s. Although I ain't been hugely impressed by the Marvel to date, should anyone know of a super-limited comic-version exclusive Phoenix, Mystique, or Venom figure/diorama going up... shoot me a mail! :p

Morris Fletcher
01-15-2006, 09:29 PM
A little "outside" perspective for you (and forgive me since I didn't read every single post with a fine-tooth comb, much of it OT anyway) since I am not a SS Marvel collector . . . yet, anyway. ;)

I am a longtime Marvel fan though, and most of the SS pieces are quite amazing. I just don't have the space or money for them. At some point I would love to own at least one just because I admire the work so much, but so far I own none and have none on pre-order. Just a little caveat so you know I'm not sour grapes for not being able to get Gray Hulk or whatever.

So what I think is the most perplexing thing about this (and more broadly speaking, exclusive collectibles in general) is that if obviously more than 50 collectors want one, why not make more? This is not some obscure, 14th tier Star Wars character with .093 seconds of screen time. This is the Hulk.

Ask yourself: wouldn't YOU gladly take THREE HUNDRED BUCKS from anyone who's offering? The molds and toolings are identical, the different paint adds no tremendous extra cost, so why not get a better gauge as far as what % of the fanbase actually want one?

Not totally give it away, since I agree part of the excitement about collecting is the unveiling of new product and the nice element of surprise, but for example, Sideshow could run a few polls asking fans general Marvel questions: "In general, what costume designs do you consider yourself more of a fan of: Golden Age, Silver Age, Modern Age, Ultimate, etc.?" "What are some of your favorite comic book artists from Marvel's history?" And then: "Do you prefer Green Hulk, Gray Hulk, "Smart" Hulk?"

And so on. Had they done anything along those lines (or just used common sense, heh) they'd know that the gray version of the Hulk is quite popular among adult collectors. Sure, the average joe would always think of Hulk as green, and yes, it definitely makes sense for Green to be the standard version, but as far as fans are concerned, Gray Hulk is definitely NOT the 'Ben Reilly as Spider-Man' version.

That being said, 50 is just a stupid number. Sorry. No collectible should be limited to 50. Sorry for the bluntness.

To be fair, yes this is a very high-end, very expensive item, and many of the fans complaining now might have never bought one anyway, or cancelled their pre-order last minute when they think about how much $300 plus shipping really is, but if SS really believes that only 50 fans really want one (or worse, only 50 "deserve" one) then I am baffled.

Maybe there's something we're missing, like some logistical explanation of why only 50 could be made?

Also, I don't think it's wise for SS to encourage (unwittingly or not) the increasing unhealthy attitudes of these collectibles being like stocks or something.

You should buy them for the love of the property, or the appreciation of the sculpture, or what have you . . . not because of what it might be worth, or wow I'm such a lucky geek to only have one out of blahblahblah. To me, that goes completely against what art (yes, even though pop culture based and collectible in nature, it's art) and sculpture should be about. The fact that there are people out there who buy up stuff like this and hoard them (unopened) for the purposes of selling them later for a profit makes me depressed for those people in a major way.

I personally couldn't care less about ES's. The only significance they have for me is how soon I need to buy them (if under 1000 or whatever, need to purchase soon, if 5000+, no particular rush, etc.) and as I say, those that worry so much about ES's are missing the point and need to find another hobby or something to help channel that excess energy elsewhere.

Remember: these collectibles are limited not to make us feel "special," nor are they limited to naturally or artificially inflate their value.

They are limited because, generally speaking, THEY WON'T SELL much more than their edition sizes, if even that.

But 50? You can sell more than 50 of ANYTHING, and for that, I think SS kind of brought this one on themselves.

And sorry if this reads too negative. It's just that sometimes there seems to be way too much BS getting in the way of something that should be so simple to my mind:

1. Fans have love and/or obsession for a property
2. Company finds sculptor whose passion for that same property is matched only by their marvelous artistic craft
3. Sculptor creates piece
4. Company mass-produces and sells piece to fans
5. Everyone basks in collective geek heaven
6. Repeat Steps 1-5 :D

P.S. Sideshow's products in general keep getting better and better, and they are an industry leader, truly raising the bar as far as high end, museum quality TV and film collectibles go, and deserve special mention for pushing the envelope where scale, detail, and mixed media are concerned. Keep it up!

Viking28
01-15-2006, 10:28 PM
AM I the only one that thinks of this as a "prize" type thing? Kind of a "guess what your one of the first to purchase this here is your prize kind of thing"?
THATS why the 50 edition size makes sense to me, it was a "guess what its your lucky day type thing".

I dont know to me it makes perfect sense why they would do it.

So Morris I disagree with you.

SolidLiquidFox
01-16-2006, 07:13 AM
I agree people missing the point of this item is at the source of the problem.

Is not about getting a Gray Hulk version Ex out to fans. Is about getting the fans talking and anticipating the next releases going forward. I assure you the newsletter is going to become more important than ever before not just for Marvel items but for any item. People will be parnoid Thursday nights. That F5 button will wear out in your keyboard.

If you got a Gray Hulk then great. Congrats. Pass the word how cool these things are. Don't let our diorama exclusives sit there for months waiting to sell out. Tell your statue friends about how this line is freaking awesome.

That is why they did it. If some of you understand that then the feeling of betrayal and the sense of disappointment would go away quicker. Then we can move all move on after 4 days.

Is not about you. It's about Sideshow generating interest from outside their current buyers. And yes, unfortunately some will be scalpers. This stunt made the statement they wanted: pay attention...we can do anything...we can release anything and surprise you.

Chicky
01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bullseye
PST??? Again i think you need to give us a time in stone (newsletter posting). BTW why the change of time?

As I mentioned in my post, unfortunaelty we can not do that. If for some reason we are running against time because of a shift in schedule, information or lack of pictures, we might breach a set time, which would cause more negative feedback. To my knowledge there aren't many companies which guarantee a time windo much less a specific time.

My initial post to this thread discussed that the time shift was based upon collector feedback. Although we would like all of our collectors to receive the information at the same time, realistically this is impossible. Therefore we post based upon a reasonable PST time for a majority of collectors as well as for our in-house staff.

Some board members have stated that the forum board is more reliable than the newsletter, "so why offer a newsletter?" I can not quite fathom the logic behind this statement unless it was made by a new newsletter member. However, this has been added to a list of reviewed collector feedback. Although, I am not sure of the wisdom of pre-ordering using the "force" and feel the majority of the newsletter members do find value in it.

This particular Grey paint variant was not an experiment nor meant as a news grabber. It was a unique offer for newsletter members, whose link was released to newsletter members first. Our collectors continue to discuss the appropriate size of editions, which probably will never be resolved to everyones satisfaction. If you make enough items to satisfy all collectors who are interested, then is it really a Limited Edition product?

Should we have used a lottery system? Should we have based the offer on $ spent with us? We think both methods limit the collector's chance of obtaining an item this way, however we will watchfor feedback on these points as well!

Again,we appreciate the input and hope people will return to our originial thread so we can keep the feedback some what organized and easier to review!

Best,
Chicky

lcummins
01-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Bullseye
PST??? Again i think you need to give us a time in stone (newsletter posting). BTW why the change of time?

As I mentioned in my post, unfortunaelty we can not do that. If for some reason we are running against time because of a shift in schedule, information or lack of pictures, we might breach a set time, which would cause more negative feedback...
Best,
Chicky

I completely understand that and kind of figured that was the reason, but would it be possible for Sideshow to state an "unofficial" set time with the caveat that it could be later, but never earlier? For example, whenever possible, the newsletter would be released at 7PM PST with the understanding that it could always be later, but would never be released earlier without prior warning. At least we all wouldn't have to be on the server refreshing before a set time that way.

Thanks for listening to our suggestions, and I know Sideshow will try to find a way to satisfy most of it's collectors whenever possible.

Lonnie

Kookie
01-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks Chicky for your response. It must be frustrating when you try to do something cool for your customers and some people ruin it for everyone.

I think many on this board would encourage you to do more things that are ultra exclusive in the future.

LOTRFan
01-16-2006, 04:57 PM
AM I the only one that thinks of this as a "prize" type thing? Kind of a "guess what your one of the first to purchase this here is your prize kind of thing"?
THATS why the 50 edition size makes sense to me, it was a "guess what its your lucky day type thing".

I dont know to me it makes perfect sense why they would do it.

So Morris I disagree with you.

Um, no - that is what I have been posting. :D

Although, gauging the above post by Chicky, I have to re-tool my theory.

oxbeard
01-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Some board members have stated that the forum board is more reliable than the newsletter, "so why offer a newsletter?" I can not quite fathom the logic behind this statement unless it was made by a new newsletter member. However, this has been added to a list of reviewed collector feedback. Although, I am not sure of the wisdom of pre-ordering using the "force" and feel the majority of the newsletter members do find value in it.

Best,
Chicky

I find it difficult to understand how people could suggest the newsletter is useless as well. Sure a lot of people found out about the grey Hulk as well as other preorders from posts on the various boards, but where do you think those original posters got their info? I would imagine they were posting about what they originally found in the newsletter, just that they read it first.

SolidLiquidFox
01-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I see great value in the newsletter. It has become crucial in order to get in on the exclusives.

I hope the Limited Exclusives become clearer to order though.

Alice Adrenochrome
01-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Chicky,

If I'd known that the Gray Hulk would have been up for preorder at 3AM (or whatever time it was in Europe), I would have been in front of my computer! Problem is, I didn't know! Yet, I did read the newsletter, and I listened to the podcast! Was I to late? Perhaps. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to what was said in the podcast. Could be. Still, I missed the information. But, if SSC has a priority-pre-order coming up, everybody knows about it at least one week ahead! What I'm asking for, is if you got something coming, please make sure people know WHAT is coming, and WHEN it is coming. Thanks.

LOTRSWfan
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
I wrote a little story about this entire Gray Hulk situation. I will post it later. Hopefully you will get a kick out of it.

Morris Fletcher
01-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Our collectors continue to discuss the appropriate size of editions, which probably will never be resolved to everyones satisfaction. If you make enough items to satisfy all collectors who are interested, then is it really a Limited Edition product?

I agree, and "all collectors who are interested" is indeed a most difficult figure to land upon anyway.

But there is a huge gap between "all collectors" and fifty collectors, with a reasonable middle ground surely possible. Anything that limited (especially something as recognizable to fans as Gray Hulk) will always cause problems. Just ask the JL collectors about Mattel's "gift" Hal Jordan figure.

It just doesn't make sense to me to say "thank you" to your fans/supporters by giving them something most will likely sell on eBay once the secondary market value is enticing enough.

Lastly, I do agree with someone else's sentiment somewhere in this thread or forum that if another Gray Hulk piece is eventually released by SS that it becomes much less of an issue altogether. :D

SolidLiquidFox
01-16-2006, 09:07 PM
But there is a huge gap between "all collectors" and fifty collectors, with a reasonable middle ground surely possible. Anything that limited (especially something as recognizable to fans as Gray Hulk) will always cause problems.

The key factors here are:

1. How many people paid attention to the podcast?
2. How many were clever enough to guess the newsletter may be up that same night by past patterns?
3. How many used the forums for info and kept on top of it with fanboyish anxiety because you just knew it was coming?

...and most importantly...

4. How many know the comics and had a genuine interest in the possibility of Gray Hulk in a Martin Canale Vs diorama?

"Something as recognizable as Gray Hulk"? You are kidding, right? I wonder how many casual Sideshow Marvel line customers just know what Gray Hulk is all about. How many were into any of those 4 groups I listed above?

Darklord Dave
01-16-2006, 09:14 PM
We've seen a number of people here, some Marvel collectors, ask about the significance of a grey Hulk, so obviously not everyone was looking for or expecting this type of exclusive.

Perhaps they should have everyone's computer tied to an electroshock device that delivers a shock to those trying to place an order. Only those that endure the pain the longest get to order. That would really show who wants it the most...

daelith
01-16-2006, 11:29 PM

Of course the newsletter has value, I'm just saying the forum is more reliable in letting people know about exclusives. Sideshow may insist it's not an exclusive, but by it's very edition size, wouldn't you say it's an exclusive?
Logic explained:
1) Newsletter supposed to give us heads up on exclusives.
2) Newsletter for past few week established pattern: pre-order date/time given.
3) Newsletter posted, but because we're conditioned to assume any pre-orders would occur on Friday, some read through newsletter to check out Sideshow's other cool stuff and actually miss the order even though they USED the newsletter. Newsletter in this instance actually DID the exact opposite of its intended purpose, no?
4) In contrast, forum news cuts to the chase and let's people know there is an EXCLUSIVE available and even provides a direct link.
5) Let's assume a person walks in and out of his out at 5, 6, 7, 8, or pm on Thursday night, which would you recommend he do...go and check on Sideshow's site or check out the forum--when the real exclusive is only 50ES?

Anakin
01-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Perhaps they should have everyone's computer tied to an electroshock device that delivers a shock to those trying to place an order. Only those that endure the pain the longest get to order. That would really show who wants it the most...

..rotfl!..that's funny,, I know some ppl that would tie and glue themselfs on the shock device and never let it go!... :D

Morris Fletcher
01-17-2006, 01:49 AM
I wonder how many casual Sideshow Marvel line customers just know what Gray Hulk is all about.

Ah, but a "casual" fan isn't likely to drop $300+ on a HUGE diorama statue anyway. ;)

And no one can say that the white "Resurrected" Elektra is more familiar to fans than Gray Hulk, and she has five times the number of pieces.

All I'm saying is 50 is too low a number for anything, and as I see it is the true factor contributing to the situation we have: more than a few fans disappointed they missed out, and the potential for eBay profits in the future which will make this a topic of conversation for some time to come.

Also as I said before, the "Wow, neato! I'm only one of _____ in the UNIVERSE that owns this! I RULE!" attitudes annoy me to no end, LOL. :wacky

pitchin
01-17-2006, 03:28 AM
I must be extremely annoying to you then :p

I got a grey Hulk & I'm cool :D

tomandshell
01-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Newsletter for past few week established pattern: pre-order date/time given.

With the recent Star Wars and Lord of the Rings 12" figures, and with the PF Lurtz, they did indeed announce a specific Priority Preorder time. At the time of the initial preview (released in the newsletter the week prior to the figure going on sale), below the preview image for those items was the now standard explanation about how Priority Preordering works, and what time it was scheduled to begin the following week. The following Wednesday, a flash email was sent out for each of those items further explaining the Priority Preorder process.

With other items, Skinner for example, a preview is released WITHOUT information regarding Priority Preorder, because it will just be receiving the regular preorder treatment, going up for sale with the release of the newsletter. Indeed, Skinner went up for sale the week after his preview, on Thursday night when the newsletter was released.

When we first saw a preview for the Hulk/Spidey diorama, it was a standard preview--there was no mention of a Priority Preorder window. The following Wednesday, there was no flash e-mail about any Priority Preordering timeframe. Therefore, I assumed that the diorama would be receiving the standard release treatment given to the majority of items--a preorder beginning with the release of the newsletter. Thankfully, we no longer have to wait for the newsletter to be delivered, but can read it online on Thursday nights, as with the Skinner newsletter the previous week. That is exactly what happened.

Sideshow did not deviate from their established routine. I think the problem was that many assumed that every new item will receive the Priority Preorder treatment, and that is not the case. I assume that every release will be standard (not Priority Preorder) unless I am told otherwise by Sideshow. With the Hulk diorama, we were not told otherwise.

oxbeard
01-17-2006, 04:44 AM
3) Newsletter posted, but because we're conditioned to assume any pre-orders would occur on Friday, some read through newsletter to check out Sideshow's other cool stuff and actually miss the order even though they USED the newsletter. Newsletter in this instance actually DID the exact opposite of its intended purpose, no?

Actually, for the past couple of weeks preorders have started on Thursday night presumably in order to get them out of the way while the focus on Friday could be left for whatever Priority Preorder figure was going up. Again a move to help ease the congestion on the site and aide in the priority preorders.

Just because someone overlooked the info in the newsletter can't put any blame on Sideshow. That simply means that person should pay more attention next time. The information was there for the taking, where's the argument here?

SolidLiquidFox
01-17-2006, 07:09 AM
Ah, but a "casual" fan isn't likely to drop $300+ on a HUGE diorama statue anyway. ;)

I said Casual Sideshow Marvel fan/customer :naughty

That's a whole other type of person/collector already looking at high ticket items. $300 is your average price nowadays it seems for a Sideshow 1/4 PF, Poly or Vs item.

The Josh
01-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Actually, for the past couple of weeks preorders have started on Thursday night presumably in order to get them out of the way while the focus on Friday could be left for whatever Priority Preorder figure was going up. Again a move to help ease the congestion on the site and aide in the priority preorders.

Just because someone overlooked the info in the newsletter can't put any blame on Sideshow. That simply means that person should pay more attention next time. The information was there for the taking, where's the argument here?

Thanks Ox!!!! This is what I've basically been saying the entire time. Unless we've been told the item is getting priority pre-order it's been going up for sale Thursday night when the newsletters been coming out. Another thing I've been saying don't blame SS for overlooking the info in the newsletter or podcast. One final thing please please please don't blame SS because you where in asleep in whatever part of the Eu your in. They've explained why they do what they do. Sorry you live in another part of the world but that's life.:D

Bullseye
01-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks Ox!!!! This is what I've basically been saying the entire time. Unless we've been told the item is getting priority pre-order it's been going up for sale Thursday night when the newsletters been coming out. Another thing I've been saying don't blame SS for overlooking the info in the newsletter or podcast. One final thing please please please don't blame SS because you where in asleep in whatever part of the Eu your in. They've explained why they do what they do. Sorry you live in another part of the world but that's life.:D

Why would you be sorry that i live outside the US? I'm very happy to live here in Ireland.

Bullseye
01-17-2006, 07:44 AM
As the old saying goes ya snooze ya loose. I think Matt said it the best that people who took the time to listen to the podcast where given a great hint to be on the look for something. The people listening to that are most likely as loyal a customer as those that don't. So they got rewarded for taking the time. With regards to being fair to all time zones well sorry they are a US company trying to put things up that not only match the world but the US as well. If some outside the US can't handle that well I'm sorry but hey it happens. I also agree with another poster that it's really rude and arrogant for people to think SS should bend to their personal need. That's what I keep seeing more and more though. Could this have possibly been handled a little better of course I'm sure there is something in this whole mess that coule have been, but for some to have said the things they've said is just utter bull.

Well, with that kind of statement I sure as heck don't feel bad for ya now. So if your in the US like me and had to coach a basketball game and missed the announcement. That's just too freaking bad for you but since I'm a poor EU person that was a sleep feel bad for me. Give me a ******* break. Get it through your head that it went up at the best time for as many people as possible. Again they are a US COMAPNY!!! They have to try and please as many of us as possible as well. Sorry you where a sleep but if they try and do it when your brite eyed and bushy tailed someone else might be a sleep. So I ask what makes you so special?????? I won't refer to you as a cry baby since I think your posts do a good enough job for you. :D

You seem to jump on everyone who makes a valid complaint. I have no problem with the run size, i have no problem with Thursday (though i'd prefer friday) but the old letters arrived in my inbox at 12.00am (around 7.00 EST) and around (4 - 5.00 PST) i would think this is rather reasonable.

We have to sleep sometimes. And try and not make this personal. You seem to be an expert at that.:rolleyes: Lets not make this personal. I don't know you but i'm sure your a nice person. Why not try and be alittle more civil on the boards, I've never attacked anyone on here.

The Josh
01-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Why would you be sorry that i live outside the US? I'm very happy to live here in Ireland.

I didn't say you should be ahsamed of where you live. I said don't get pissed at SS because they posted the newsletter for the timezone they live in when it doesn't match yours exactly.

You seem to jump on everyone who makes a valid complaint. I have no problem with the run size, i have no problem with Thursday (though i'd prefer friday) but the old letters arrived in my inbox at 12.00am (around 7.00 EST) and around (4 - 5.00 PST) i would think this is rather reasonable.

I haven't jumped on anyone who made a valid point. I've said that people who want to blame SS for missing it need to look in the mirror first basically. The newsletter with items in it that have no priority pre-order has been coming out at the same time on Thursday Night. That's been my standard response to everyone with the expception of you and Dalieth. Since you two have seem to have been pretty much busting SS back on a few issues that they can only control so much of.

We have to sleep sometimes. And try and not make this personal. You seem to be an expert at that.:rolleyes: Lets not make this personal. I don't know you but i'm sure your a nice person. Why not try and be alittle more civil on the boards, I've never attacked anyone on here.

Yes, we all have to sleep sometime I agree. :D Your the one who has been making it all personal that they should have done this better to fit your personal EU schedule and said that if your in the US and missed it well too bad. Don't blame me for turing the tables a bit.:D

Bullseye
01-17-2006, 08:14 AM
I didn't say you should be ahsamed of where you live. I said don't get pissed at SS because they posted the newsletter for the timezone they live in when it doesn't match yours exactly.

I haven't jumped on anyone who made a valid point. I've said that people who want to blame SS for missing it need to look in the mirror first basically. The newsletter with items in it that have no priority pre-order has been coming out at the same time on Thursday Night. That's been my standard response to everyone with the expception of you and Dalieth. Since you two have seem to have been pretty much busting SS back on a few issues that they can only control so much of.

Yes, we all have to sleep sometime I agree. :D Your the one who has been making it all personal that they should have done this better to fit your personal EU schedule and said that if your in the US and missed it well too bad. Don't blame me for turing the tables a bit.:D

jc were you ever a member of the statueforum? Are you still a member?

Bullseye
01-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Well it looks like i'm going to have to accept the new NL postal times. So thanks Chicky for coming on to explain the situation.

The Josh
01-17-2006, 08:52 AM
jc were you ever a member of the statueforum? Are you still a member?

I was. I'm not now because in a thread where the owner of the board basically said you can't talk about deals from other dealers. I said that's not really fair to the members of the board and he didn't like that opinion.

Well it looks like i'm going to have to accept the new NL postal times. So thanks Chicky for coming on to explain the situation.

:D It's all good.:D

Bullseye
01-17-2006, 08:57 AM
I was. I'm not now because in a thread where the owner of the board basically said you can't talk about deals from other dealers. I said that's not really fair to the members of the board and he didn't like that opinion.

:D It's all good.:D

In fairness to Danny it is his board. And he trys to encourage people to buy direct from him. He gives discounts and has organised an Iron Sculptor contest to get sculptors work with Sideshow along with Matt Falls. He has also organised a very nice line of exclusives (200) from Hard Hero.

The Josh
01-17-2006, 09:15 AM
In fairness to Danny it is his board. And he trys to encourage people to buy direct from him. He gives discounts and has organised an Iron Sculptor contest to get sculptors work with Sideshow along with Matt Falls. He has also organised a very nice line of exclusives (200) from Hard Hero.

That's fine and good. I would prefer not to talk about other boards business on this board.

daelith
01-17-2006, 10:16 PM

Referring back to points #4 and #5:
4) In contrast, forum news cuts to the chase and let's people know there is an EXCLUSIVE available and even provides a direct link.
5) Let's assume a person walks in and out of his out at 5, 6, 7, 8, or pm on Thursday night, which would you recommend he do...go and check on Sideshow's site or check out the forum--when the real exclusive is only 50ES?

By saying that the "person should pay more attention next time" you're proving my point. Why read the newsletter when a direct link is provided in the forum? No need to browse through the newsletter to check out other stuff, no need to figure out hints, etc. And better yet, it won't be implied that you're somehow not intelligent to figure it out with the newsletter; just review some of the posts here to find evidence of that.

Need further proof? look at the polls here and at statueforum.com.

Darklord Dave
01-17-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm all for the forum being valuable, but I just looked at the thread and there's no posted link - just the news that it's grey Hulk and limited to 50. I'm fairly certain that I got the last one and I had to search all around all 4 order pages (both versions, Flex and non-Flex) to find the link.

But the people that originally found it knew to look for it because of the podcast. And there wouldn't have been a link to ANY of the dio's pages without the newsletter.

So sure the forum is a good source because we all want to share information, but it's really the newsletter (and in this case the podcast) that is the source of the info.

lcummins
01-24-2006, 08:09 PM
...he quietly sneaks into the thread and quickly looks around. No one is paying any attention, as they are intently viewing other posts. He is vaguely reminded of a movie theater and a thought pops into his head! But instead of shouting FIRE in this theater, he prepares to run and yells...

GRAY HULK

j/k everybody! :wacky

SolidLiquidFox
01-26-2006, 09:54 AM
It seems We are going to be talking about this thing well into 2007. :rolleyes:

The Josh
01-26-2006, 10:11 AM
God I hope not

Darklord Dave
01-29-2006, 08:23 PM
It seems We are going to be talking about this thing well into 2007.

I'm sure the discussion of the black symbiote suit Spidey limited to 10 will draw our attention away from grey Hulk.

wookilar8
01-29-2006, 08:57 PM
People the lesson is "Life's Not Always Fair". SSC did nothing wrong. The exclusive Hulk Vs. Spider-Man Diorama was available just as they said it would be. You got your choice exclusive or regular, as advertised. A Great sculpt and low ES, just like everyone wanted.
Now, for a few attentive or lucky people, there was, for arguements sake I call it, a reward. An ultra-exclusive edition was available to buy. Before this, the Gray Hulk Version was never a topic of discussion.
People get over it. It wasn't meant to be had by all. No matter who you are; a Great Mavel/Sideshow collector or Johnny come lately. The 'Stones said it best "You Can't Always Get What You Want.":peace

SolidLiquidFox
01-30-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm sure the discussion of the black symbiote suit Spidey limited to 10 will draw our attention away from grey Hulk.

Gray Hulk is already coming with a Black Symbiote Spidey variant. They just haven't revealed it yet because people are still sore on missing out. :angelsmil

Darklord Dave
01-30-2006, 01:34 PM
No, SLF, 10 random grey hulk exclusives will have the black costume Spidey. You won't know which you have until it arrives.

(And sorry Chicky for the blatant attempt at causing more trouble...)

SolidLiquidFox
01-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Heck, Chicky should put that in the suggestion box :D

And Chicky...I always knew you were a robot...the podcast just confirmed it

Viking28
01-30-2006, 03:03 PM
There is a black symboite Gray hulk version limited to 10 that will be among the 50????????????

O man wait till the other forums hear about this!!!!!!!!!!:google

:rolleyes:
:angelsmil

NSFolsom
02-06-2006, 05:41 PM

I haven't jumped on anyone who made a valid point.
I'd say you have.

Darlord Dave, is there any documentation anywhere regarding 10 of the 50 Grey Hulk's coming with a Spidey wearing the black symbiote costume? Where did you hear about this?

wookilar8
02-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Uh NSFolsom, I do believe the Darklord was pulling your leg. Or was he???:wacky

Darklord Dave
02-06-2006, 06:12 PM
So it's a joke you say? Would I lie on a public message board? Of course I would(n't).

NSFolsom
02-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Uh NSFolsom, I do believe the Darklord was pulling your leg. Or was he???:wacky

I don't know... :crying

NSFolsom
02-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Anywho... To stay on topic...

I'd definitely have to keep my eyes open for "Grey Hulk-like" exclusives from now on.

I do like the idea however, Chicky. I visit the SSC website more than a few times a day, (even when I'm at work), just for that reason.. because of exclusive surprises like the Grey Hulk.

Darth Rage
02-23-2006, 08:45 AM
So I guess this is mildly off topic, but did anyone read Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk issue 2 yet? Banner is speaking to someone about becoming the hulk and says somethnig along the lines of turning green, sometimes grey. I got a kick out of that. With the nod to sideshow's Doom in another comic lately, I wonder if this was sideshow related as well. Thoughts?

SolidLiquidFox
02-23-2006, 09:14 AM
I stay away from the ultimate books (I only pic up The Ultimates HC) but that is pretty funny given this whole Gray Hulk diorama statue. I don't think anyone outside SS Collectibles fans would get the irony though... :D

ComputerFly
02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
The Hulk has been turning gray intermittently LONG before Sideshow existed.

Darth Rage
02-23-2006, 06:55 PM
The Hulk has been turning gray intermittently LONG before Sideshow existed.

I don't read Hulk regularly, I have only been reading the Wolverine / Hulk comic because I heard somewhere they were going to kill one of them off in this comic and it looked interesting. I remember seeing an interview with Stan Lee where he said Hulk was supposed to be grey originally, but there was some concern with keeping the color consistant in the book, so they changed to green becasue no other Marvel charactor at the time was green. The only other time I was aware of that he was grey was when Todd McFarlane was involved with the comic way back when. Other than that, I thought he was always green.

Silverbc3
03-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Since this is a Grey Hulk thread I thought this might go here.....

Has anyone noticed this one??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6614228910&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2F%2Fsearch%2 Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D6614228910%26 fvi%3D1

Lucky bastard! :horror

I mean the buyer is lucky btw.... :D

tomandshell
03-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Since this is a Grey Hulk thread I thought this might go here.....

Has anyone noticed this one??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6614228910&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2F%2Fsearch%2 Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D6614228910%26 fvi%3D1

Lucky bastard! :horror

I mean the buyer is lucky btw.... :D

I sincerely hope that this auction is for real. If this guy just got ripped off, I will feel sorry for him... People just need to be patient and stop bidding on items that are not in the possession of the seller. If this buyer comes on the board in a few months looking for help because their Hulk never arrived, there will be nothing we can do but offer our sympathy. (Even if they do get their Hulk, I don't see more of these going for $1500!! I'll bet that waiting would have gotten him one for much less...)

misfit138
03-17-2006, 04:21 PM
I sincerely hope that this auction is for real. If this guy just got ripped off, I will feel sorry for him... People just need to be patient and stop bidding on items that are not in the possession of the seller. If this buyer comes on the board in a few months looking for help because their Hulk never arrived, there will be nothing we can do but offer our sympathy. (Even if they do get their Hulk, I don't see more of these going for $1500!! I'll bet that waiting would have gotten him one for much less...)

Just to let everyone know, the auction is real and I'm the seller. I posted the auction with a high BIN price on the day that fixed price listings were only 10 cents. I didn't expect anyone to buy it, but I figured that I'd just see what happened. If noone bought it, I only lost 10 cents. Needless to say, I was surprised when it sold within the first 24 hours, and even more surprised when he paid right away through Paypal.

I emailed the buyer with my name, address, and phone number to help ease him mind that this wasn't a scam.

P.S.: I got a few other fixed price auctions running. :naughty

LINK (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtlarchQQhtZ-1)

Greedo
03-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Good one misfit. :google

I still think you might have been able to get more. Did you order more than one?

Silverbc3
03-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Congrats on the sale misfit138!

If your BIN was a few hundred less I would have caved, I was shocked it did sell so quickly. Then again your flawless feedback probably helped! :D

Alice Adrenochrome
03-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Jesus Christ...

SolidLiquidFox
03-17-2006, 04:45 PM
If you needed the money now you certainly came out winning. I think you would have gotten more for it upon closer to release, but who am I to argue with almost $1,000 profit for one item after ebay/paypal fees. :rolleyes:

I guess that leaves 49 legit ones out there to be had. I don't think this guy would resell it seeing how he paid almost $600 for a SentinelVs Ex in his last auction...

LOTRFan
03-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Jesus Christ...

Nope, it was for the Grey Hulk. :peace

tomandshell
03-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Misfit- It is actually a relief to know that the seller wasn't ripping somebody off. I'm glad to know that the person who spent all that money will indeed be getting what they paid for. Outside the 30 day window, they have no other protection available to them, so I am glad for their sake that you are an honest seller. That was a lot of money, but they obviously feel that it is worth it. I hope that you never have second thoughts, as that is one piece you won't easily get back in your collection!

Of course, after this, it's going to be hard to look at my Gray Hulk and not see a Cave Troll or Orthanc or Sam and Bill or...

SolidLiquidFox
03-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Call me crazy but as of right now I see myself holding on to it. It is an awesome piece from the one SS line that I take the most seriously.

Opinion pending to change depending on how high this goes for. :rolleyes:

tomandshell
03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
I just may be proven wrong. I have remained convinced that this piece would never skyrocket the way some have expected, due to the availability of the "regular exclusive" version as an alternative for those that missed it. Perhaps I have underestimated the lure of the Gray Hulk...

lcummins
03-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Gee... aren't we lucky all 50 went to true collectors! :rolleyes:

Darklord Dave
03-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Gee... aren't we lucky all 50 went to true collectors!

Well, they will eventually. Only a TRUE collector would pay $1500 for it.

__________________________________________________ ____________
Disclaimer:
Darklord Dave in no way supports scalpers or flipping of collectibles.

Alice Adrenochrome
03-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, they will eventually. Only a TRUE collector would pay $1500 for it.

__________________________________________________ ____________
Disclaimer:
Darklord Dave in no way supports scalpers or flipping of collectibles.

I doubt that. Just have a look at the way the situation of the Balrog developed. Do you think all those people that sold/bought a Balrog on Ebay, over the last year and a half or so, where true collectors? I, for my part belive that a lot of them where mere dealers, speculating on selling the piece for more money.

Gruson
03-20-2006, 08:36 AM
True collector or not, there IS a price for everything.

misfit138
03-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Gee... aren't we lucky all 50 went to true collectors! :rolleyes:

I guess he would have passed up a $1000 profit. :rolleyes:

lcummins
03-21-2006, 05:28 PM
I guess he would have passed up a $1000 profit. :rolleyes:

Yes, actually I would! I have been a collector of non-sport material for almost 35 years, and up until a couple of years ago, the only items I ever sold (no matter how high they went) were when I needed the money to pay bills. Back in the late 90's, I was offered $10,000 for a piece of Topps Wacky Packages original artwork I owned, from two different collectors. I had only paid $400 for the piece at the original Topps New York auction back in the mid 80's. I was tempted but held out until finances forced me to sell it. I still wish I had the piece in my collection to this day, because the $10,000 is certainly gone now!

I finally grew tired of non-sports (to an extent) and needed a break from it; I turned my attention to collecting Sideshow products. I have been selling my non-sport collection only to buy Sideshow collectibles, and have not sold any Sideshow piece unless it was a dupe I managed to somehow get. Money is not everything to some of us. I still regret selling everything I've ever sold and wish I still had it in my collection, but I'm also practical and know I can't collect everything! Sometimes an item means more than mere money and I truly feel sorry for those collectors who don't "value" their collection for anything more than it's "value"!! If a collector is willing to flip a piece from his collection the moment it "hits a certain value", then maybe they weren't that interested in the piece in the first place. And don't get me wrong... I'm not saying that a collector can't grow tired of a piece, find a better version of a character, or sell to afford something else, I'm just saying that if the ONLY reason you are selling is because of the value, then... well, you know my thoughts!

But, to each their own! These are just my opinions and I’m sharing them to relate to you why this piece is important to me. But if you really think I would have sold it at $1,500, you are sadly mistaken my friend!! :peace

SolidLiquidFox
03-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Nicely stated Icummins. The more I think about it the harder I think it will be for me to part with Gray Hulk. I know we all have a price at which we will seriously considering selling, but the Vs line is the one line I truly and purely enjoy collecting from Sideshow. I am not PF crazy like some of you here because of budget and space. I don't collect Bowen or Hard Hero. Sideshow Marvel is where I get my fix.

If Gray Hulk hits $2,000 I will give it some thought but I see myself holding on to it somehow...we'll see.

tomandshell
03-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Speaking of space, I have no idea where I am going to put my Hulk diorama. That thing looks like it has the biggest footprint of any collectible I own (or have on preorder).

FlyAndFight
03-21-2006, 09:41 PM
$1500 is a lot of money and I can certainly understand how someone could be tempted to sell this piece for a $1000 profit. I myself would have waited until it hit at least $2000...

Does that make me less of a collector than lcummins or anyone else? I honestly don't care. I currently still have every single SS/Weta piece that I have purchased, selling only one duplicate helm and currently selling the Rohirrim bust because it simply doesn't fit in my collection and wish to use the funds to help purchase another bust. (only have baddies busts.)* I value my collection very highly or else I wouldn't have wasted my time and money hunting these pieces down. But to me they are not like some idols to be enshrined in a display case. I enjoy them immensely and hope that I don't fall into a financial situation that forces me to sell any but truth be told, if I had paid $300 for a Balrog and could sell it at $2500 and up, I wouldn't think twice about it. Real life priorities take precedence regardless of how serious a collector I am.

* $80.00 shipped in the US, folks! ;)

Fubeca
03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Are people still mad about this?:monkey4

lcummins
03-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Are people still mad about this?:monkey4

Well, I can't speak for others, but I was never "mad" about this, just annoyed. I do find it very funny that out of the 20+ ordered by members of this board, at least 5 or 6 (that I know of) have already sold him before he has even shipped... :monkey5

Greedo
03-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Well, I can't speak for others, but I was never "mad" about this, just annoyed. I do find it very funny that out of the 20+ ordered by members of this board, at least 5 or 6 (that I know of) have already sold him before he has even shipped... :monkey5

That means there's only 44 - 45 more to be sold to real collectors. :peace

show73
03-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Another one bites the dust.....
One less for sale.

DannieDarKo
03-26-2006, 08:31 PM
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/4433/fsdrfg4bh.png

Although I will be one of those TRUE COLLECTORS ebaying this Gray Mofo before it ships! :rock

SolidLiquidFox
03-26-2006, 09:57 PM
This thread is like American Idol...you really don't care much for the show or concept itself but you do manage to check in just enough to know what the heck is going on

lcummins
03-26-2006, 10:48 PM
This thread is like American Idol...you really don't care much for the show or concept itself but you do manage to check in just enough to know what the heck is going on

Never thought of it that way, but you're right. :monkey5

creecher
03-26-2006, 11:52 PM
What the heck IS going on here?

I thought the whole thing had been painted grey as an undercoat, when Sideshow quality control found 50 that hadn't been finished........and waddayaknow. Cloud reveals silver lining. Gold exchanged for poly. Collectors go crazy. Am I anywhere near the ball park? No need for reply, just another day in the game.

SolidLiquidFox
04-13-2006, 08:03 PM
newsletter sticking with June as a release date...we'll see

tomandshell
04-13-2006, 08:05 PM
I really need this to stay in June and keep away from my SDCC paycheck...

Darth Rage
04-27-2006, 06:19 PM
ME SMASH GREY HULK!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/darthrage/smileys/hulk-moving.gif

WEAPON X
05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
ME SMASH GREY HULK!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/darthrage/smileys/hulk-moving.gif

Bowen's up & coming new Hulk statue! :bow

LOTRFan
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Great pose, I don't care for the face much. :monkey3

wookilar8
05-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Bowen's up & coming new Hulk statue! :bow

Yeah this guy is massive......like the pose not crazy about the face.

Edit: LOTRfan you took the words right out of my mouth.

SolidLiquidFox
05-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I agree the face is off. SS version is better IMO.