Breakthrough in the search for an HIV vaccine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who were the "volunteers?
Hopefully, this was just a random sample of people who were given the vaccine, to be compared with a similar random sample of people who were not, with all other things being held constant. Not people who were given the vaccine then ordered to try and contract HIV :lol

HIV/AIDS is apparently a huge issue in Thailand, in part due to the prominence of the prostitution industry, and too few people taking proper, erm, precautions. As such, you would expect that a fair number of randomly chosen people would contract the disease.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/aOYk4yn9Ypk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/aOYk4yn9Ypk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yay!

More people on this only planet that sustains life and that's already been damaged by overpopulation!!! Nevermind we can't support more people, but let's support people that were already being irresponsible with their lives to begin with!! Yay!!

Yay more people that'll go 'Oh no, I have an incurable disease, why wasn't I more responsible!?! Why wasn't I cautious?!!....Oh, wait there's a vaccine? Oh, then I'll just take that everytime I'm being irresponsible and have no value over my life or the life of others because it can be CURED, what an easy fix!!!'

=/

Maybe we could sacrifice ignorant, judgemental message board posters to compensate.

So Snowcrab, anything that serves the purpose of curing or mediating the influence of a potentially avoidable disease or affliction should not exist?

Goodbye dental fillings, coronary by-pass, re-constructive surgery, and aspirin.

Real forward thinking there, fella.

Like you? :D

I judge people who don't think ahead about their health or decided to live irresponsibly. The point is the people who contacted HIV or AIDS had the responsibility to themselves. Practice safe sex, always use condoms and dental dams, don't pick up that next drink and your thinking wouldn't have been impaired, don't go somewhere with someone you don't know anything about, even if you're in a relationship you and your parnter should both be tested and reveal the results to each other together in the doctor's office. The only true victims of AIDS and HIV are those who have been raped , but most especially the kids that haven't even reached adolescence or had sex and contracted it through their irresponsible parents.

Is that supposed to prove me wrong? :confused:

JohnStewartUltimateFacepalm.gif

SHAMWOW-2.jpg

So Snowcrab, anything that serves the purpose of curing or mediating the influence of a potentially avoidable disease or affliction should not exist?

In some ways basically. But you're being a bit black and white too with your judgment on me and anyone else who may feel similar to me, aren't ya? At least, I'm taking the time to consider your stand on it too, buddy. There are some diseases of afflictions which are completely avoidable with proper eduation or engineering research or acricultural research to avoid certain diseases and some are just clearly genetic and not the person's fault.

BUT, there's also self-restraint and common sense to avoid diseases and just general could-have-been-prevented bad situations, which is what my real gripe is. Why should I empathize with people who put themselves in situations of their own making that were so gung-ho about their decision to engage in dumb behavior or practices...and now they deserve a easy-out for their crappy decisions? There's big difference between cancer and an sexually transmitted infection.

For instance, if you eat lots of corrosive things and you notice the corrosive effects of it either in yourself or someone else's teeth, but still do it anyway, do you really think your teeth and gums won't rot either just because it's you?

What about when you drink, do you really think you can go on and on with drinking when you've been told or even shown the effects it does to your insides with constant consumption...how can you be surprised when then the doctor has proof you have long-term problems with your kidney, joints, or liver? (friend of mine =/ )

Let's say now it's HIV/AIDS, couldn't you have gone without that casual sex or at least gone with protection? Shouldn't you put down that drink at that party like you've been warned by your own peers? Shouldn't you have gotten yourself and your new partner tested?

It's about common sense and self-restraint and just plain listening to someone just a little smarter than yourself.

Don't gotta worry about that, never did. My family is remarkably immaculate with our health and responsiblities. The only exception has been me and my brothers, we've been reckless. I have been the most reckless and I'm the oldest so now they have an example not aspire completely too in certain ways and in other ways I'm a warning sign :D

I had two close calls during my college days when it came to sexually transmitted diseases. And you know what? I owe up to the fact that despite my whining before the results came in; "It's not my fault", "It was just a few times I didn't use protection", "But the sex was good", "I didn't think anything bad would really happen"---it was my fault in those situations. Thinking back on my younger, more reckless self, if I had gotten the big, bad results I would have gotten what I deserve for the stupidity, it could have been prevented with just my actions.

Like I said the only true victims that have my empathy with AIDS/HIV are the afflicted kids with disease/infection positive parents that transmitted it to them and also the rape victims. They're the only ones with any right to a cure.

People can be careful and still get it. People can be married and get it because they're partners cheat. To say that "you can't have the cure because you had unprotected sex ONCE" is silly.

That's like saying because I smoked a couple of cigarettes in high school I shouldn't get the cure for lung cancer if ever they get one.

You ate a Big Mac.....no Lipator for you!!!

It's not that cut and dry.

I agree that the world is overpopulated, but that's because of people having too many kids, not because of curing disease. Did your parents only have two kids? No?.......so....no cures for you all then!! ;)

i am glad they have made a break through in this .
i can understand the one person's response. magic johnson gets the attention for being stupid. ryan white who died while he gets persecuted for being innocent get the disease by accident. even though in a way it should not be this way,, i hope they can find a cure for it.
if in this day and age people who are having unprotected sex with people you have just met. know offense to anyone. this also includes myself who did it once this way..your dumb for not wearing a condom or for the woman making your man not wear a condom..
everybody should have chance to get the vaccination if it works..

I had two close calls during my college days when it came to sexually transmitted diseases. And you know what? I owe up to the fact that despite my whining before the results came in; "It's not my fault", "It was just a few times I didn't use protection", "But the sex was good", "I didn't think anything bad would really happen"---it was my fault in those situations. Thinking back on my younger, more reckless self, if I had gotten the big, bad results I would have gotten what I deserve for the stupidity, it could have been prevented with just my actions.
Let me start by saying that you started out here being a troll, and promoting jingoistic, intellectually bankrupt, ideologically-driven drivel that isn't really worth responding to in the first place, so first, let me apologize for even wasting my time getting involved here.

However, let me sum up your comments:

1) people who get HIV mostly do so because they are not careful, and deserve to die because of it.

2) because you admit to having made a stupid mistake, you are an OK guy who deserves to be the exception to the rule. You say that you would have deserved what you got, but you didn't, and now you are judging others in a hypocritical sense. Therefore, those comments are cost-free and meaningless.

3) you accept the reality that many people who die of HIV are not responsible for getting it (including children in Africa born to parents with the disease--parents who, I might add, aren't given proper education on these issues to begin with due in part to stupid ass U.S. policies exclusively promoting abstinence), and say that you sympathize with them, but somehow still believe that these people deserve to die because the research on this should be halted in order to punish those who don't have the sense to protect themselves.

4) other potentially avoidable afflictions are excluded from your judgment because you make a subjective determination that they should be, based on no non-arbitrary rationale.

The issue is not whether people should have common sense. I don't think that people should be able to act hedonistically and recklessly with impunity and for the most part they can't. The issue is whether we should dismiss any research into curing disease if they could potentially be avoided in some instances. HIV/AIDs is no different than any of the other problems that you list in this sense. People can eat healthy and still get heart disease, tooth decay, and diabetes. Kids can get HIV through no fault of their own. But your initial argument was that this research should not be pursued because of those who should know better.

It was thoughtless to post, I think you realize that now, and you are trying to backtrack. Fine. I would suggest maybe thinking before posting nonsense in the future, though, as you could avoid that kind of thing.

I don't think you are a troll or a rotten person, but I do think that you were trolling looking for negative responses based on the tone of your first post. Of course, I agree that there is room for different points of view here, we are all welcome to them, and this forum would be a very boring place without divergent points of view. However, I feel that your post was pretty mean-spirited and simplistic. When thinking about the different kinds of people (many of them completely innocent) who could have their lives cut short due to HIV, how could this research be a bad thing? Because it promotes promiscuity and plays some very small role in population control?

If population is a genuine concern of yours, then I would be railing against the easy access of simple medicines like antibiotics and genetically engineered crops over this. The number of lives taken due to STDs aren't even remotely comparable to the number of lives saved due to things like cheap food, medicine, and mosquito nets to prevent malaria.

Like I said the only true victims that have my empathy with AIDS/HIV are the afflicted kids with disease/infection positive parents that transmitted it to them and also the rape victims. They're the only ones with any right to a cure.

This just goes to show how retarded some human beings are.

If you had a sister who was married and she contracted HIV through her husband who was cheating on her without her knowing, you'd be satisfied that she got what she deserved? Or without even getting into that extreme of a circumstance, if you had a general family member who contracted HIV through casual sex, you would be satisfied that they deserve what is coming to them?

Hypocrite much?

Kevin Peter Hall managed to contract AIDS through a blood transfusion. Thats another case where its no where close to their own fault.

Back