Must Have DVDs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pitchin said:
I have a question.

Just bought a home cinema set up & was wondering which dvd's will give my set up a good workout?

Hmmm, maybe a very visual movie with lot of sound and effects - Batman Begins? I've only got 20" TV with no extra speakers so that have never crossed my mind before...

Not a Tom Cruise fan in particular, but love The Last Samurai. I don't have that many DvD's but I have that one. I should just list all my DvD's. I wouldn't have them unless they were must haves, for me anyway.

You got to have the Three Stooges in your collection. I'm talking the TV series. It doesnt matter which ones or that they are black and white, it makes no difference at all, and they are so cheap.

Cartoon wise, Disney is tops. My favourite is Robin Hood, the music is what really makes it for me.

Just bought a home cinema set up & was wondering which dvd's will give my set up a good workout?

I think the movie Gladator would do it, the first 15 minutes should find out what your speakers are made of.

Fight Club
KILL BILL 1 & 2
Pulp Fiction
SNATCH
BoonDock Saints
Donnie Darko
Savnig PRviate Ryan
Band of Brothers entire series
Gladiator
Braveheart
Terminator 2
Aliens

just to name a few.........

pitchin said:
I have a question.

There are a ton of recent releases that would easily do it like War of the Worlds, Serenity, Batman Begins, and Revenge of the Sith. All would be awesome for a true test of your system. If you want the ultimate sub tester, try The Haunting in DTS-ES Discrete surround. Have fun! :D

all 7 BTVS seasons
all 5 Angel seasons
LOTR (EE)
SW (OT & NT)
Memento
L.A. Confidential
Firefly
Serenity
NYPD Blue
Seinfeld
Batman Begins
anything with Emmanuelle Beart ;)

pitchin said:
I have a question.

If you're looking for sound, go with Saving Private Ryan. The first 30 minutes have some of the best sound I have ever heard. Another movie that does the job is Top Gun. Pretty bad movie, but the sound is great.

I will second what has already been mentioned. The first fifteen to twenty minutes of both Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan, turned up loud, should be enough to convince anyone. Also, I was quite impressed with the sea battles in Master and Commander.

Unfortunately, the new Gladiator set has excluded the DTS track, and DTS was only available on the new Saving Private Ryan disc if you bought the big boxed set. I would recommend you seek out the original release of Gladiator and the earlier separate DTS version of Saving Private Ryan. The DTS tracks on the LOTR extended cuts are also great.

pitchin said:
I have a question.

As well as whats already been mentioned:

Movies:
The Bourn Identity (any chase seen)
Incredibles (chase seen with Dash)
Toy Story 2 (Opening Scene)
House of Flying Daggers (DTS) (Echo Game Scene)
Perfect Storm
Master and Commander
DTS 5.1 Fight Club
U571
Twister in full bitrate DTS
The Fifth Element DTS
Black Hawk Down DTS Superbit
Final Fantasy
Matrix
T3
Bad Boys II
IRobot
Partiot superbit
Apollo 13 DTS fullbit rate
Jurassic Park

Audio:
Led Zepellin Live DTS
The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DTS Live concert
Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture etc. / Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops (Multichannel Hybrid SACD)
Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" 20th Anniversary Edition
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon SACD
Blue Man Group DD5.1
Dave Matthews Band Live in Central Park
Queen - Night At The Opera DVD-A

Back