General Washington in the house

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
11:07 am: Dogs bark; Washington has been delivered to my door. The only difference from the prototype is that his eyes are brown, not blue. I wonder if it's a historical correction. Did they find an obscure diary that mentioned his eye color?

Paint apps worriers take note: this is an absolutely beautiful paint job. Overall, a most impressive figure. Top notch. Wow.

Box has a foil sticker proclaiming this the Sideshow Exclusive figure.

Fedex didn't destroy it.

No digital pictures, sorry!

I just looked again at the newer prototype pics on the Sideshow site, and they have the brown eyes. I must say though, the photos, especially the portrait, are a huge disservice the the figure. You'd never guess how impressive it is. A great paint job on a very fine sculpt.

Whoever Tim Miller of Bad Egg Studios is, he's made a fine addition to Sideshow's catalog. Hope we'll see more from him.

Your exhuberence certainly has my pulse speeding up. So glad to hear that the necessary care has been taken with this outstanding rendition of the general. I hope the regulars are as good as the exclusives, that's the one I'll have to settle for.

Strange how some figures disappear from the site every now and then. Went looking for regular George and couldnt see him alongside the exclusive, but type in the search and there they are. Sweet.

Blasted FedEx, they either delivered it to the wrong address or not at all!!!!! :banghead :banghead :banghead

Fortunately Erin is on the case at SS, she was more than friendly and I am sure she will get to the bottom of this. Thanks again for the great customer care Sideshow.

HI
I,ve been waiting for this figure since Moby Dick was a minow. Hopefully it will arrive Saturday, since I live in Maryland. Is the quality as good as the Blackbeard figure? It seems Side Show went the extra mile on that one. If there are any photos available please post.
Thanks,
Brent

Love Washington and the sword solution is very creative. They have just a hilt that you can put in the scabbard so it looks like the sword is in there, plus there's the full sword and the extra ceremonial sword. Love the sliding telescope too. He's every bit as detailed as Blackbeard, although Pirates will always be cooler than Presidents.

Hey Bear, Congrats on the figure. Could you do me a favor and check the top of the headsculpt and see if there is a mold line running basically from ear to ear? I've seen pics of others received and one showed this nit-pick. Since he'll be wearing the hat 99.9% of the time, it's not biggie.

Picture_604.jpg

As you might guess, there is a molding seam there. However, the one in your picture seems to have been roughed up or badly joined. Mine isn't obvious unless you look for it. I wonder if the hat will eventually wear the paint down.

My only word of warning on this one is that the dawgone twisty-tie under the arms was used here, and you'll be loosening some of the tack-down stitching to get it out. On this particular figure's wardrobe, I'd have been happy to leave things tacked down. The twisty-tie criss-crosses under his pony tail, slips under his vest...oh, Michael Crawford's gonna let 'em hear it!

Other than that, no complaints. Interesting though, he has one (molded) spur. I never knew they wore one spur in that era. Hmmm.

Edit 1-13-06: There were two spurs. They're not molded on; they're detachable with real straps. One came off when I took him out of the box and I failed to notice. Found it this morning. The other one fits so snugly I thought it had been molded as part of the boot.

Last edited:
I've already blasted them privately for this new cruelty twisty - it makes absolutely no sense at all.

This is probably a dumb question...but how do they get the blasted twisties on there in such complex ways in the first place?

Agent0028 said:
This is probably a dumb question...but how do they get the blasted twisties on there in such complex ways in the first place?

Good question. LOL

Sideshow = :blissy
Sideshow person in charge of twisties = :blissysmi ;)

They must put the twisty on, then the clothes, twist it into the box and then stitch up and snap the clothes. They have to know how incredibly frustrating it is. Just sticking it to the imperialist running dogs I guess.

Just got mine yesterday and I haven't tried to take him out of the box. I am waiting for my acrylic case to be made. I am dreading the hated and dastardly twisties. Why not just have a slip form over the figure so you can take him in and out?

By the way he does look fabulous.

JohnyBoo said:
Just got mine yesterday and I haven't tried to take him out of the box. I am waiting for my acrylic case to be made. I am dreading the hated and dastardly twisties. Why not just have a slip form over the figure so you can take him in and out?

By the way he does look fabulous.

Mine should be here today...
They should take a page out of Medicom's book or even Drastic Plastic (remember them?) and put a tray over the bubble that holds everything in place. I can't wait to see the packaging for LOTR and SW. I imagine the coolness of it will help offset the pain of the price increase.

Hi all,
Just received the Washington figure. Great job on all aspects! Just a few observations; BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE PARTIAL SWORD! IT IS VERY DELICATE.Also Old George seems to have faired better than his troops at the dinner table. Suprise!! a fat suite. The head scalped is PERFECT.
Now to the infamous dreaded twisty around the body. The good news is that it isn't as difficult to remove as on previous figures. Unsnap the vest and push the twisty out around the neck area.
Now all we need is a British General. I'd like to see a British foot soldier with the tall headgear(I don't know Rev. War jargin).
Oh yea, one more thing, Side Show also enclosed a second Chistmas with the order. A DVD of new products,figure from the Outter Limmits, two rubber wrist bans and a great keychain.
Take care,
:banana Brent :banana :banana

got mine today -- face sculpt is fantastic, and the paint ops really seem to be top notch -- loads of detail (wrinkles and such) still visible on the face -- plenty of detail in the hair. only hint of discord was that the paint around gw's pony tail has cracked above the ribbon, which is no huge deal i guess (anyone else experience this?)
outfit is nice -- wish the shirt ruffle on mine held up a bit better -- seems to be off-center and a bit too far down, but i guess i can play a bit with it... and the sleeves on the jacket seem a bit tight, but i can still pose him pretty well.
quite happy with him overall -- looks great on the shelf!!! love the expression more every time i look at him.
oh yeah, the sleeve says he comes with 2 maps --mine only had 1 -- did y'all's have 2?

Hm. Mine came (unadorned with 2nd X-mas keychains or DVDs), and I think he's superb. Did someone say something about only getting one spur? Mine has two. But only one map as well, yeah, I noticed that. Doesn;t really bother me, as he can't hold everything he comes with now, anyway.

I shant be removing the partial sword from the scabbard ever, methinks. A great idea, well executed. I don't mind the partial shirt thing here, as it was clearly done to improve the look of the figure, not just as a cost cutting measure. My only problem was with the rather shapeless and bulky (though well-made) cape. It envelopes him so much that naught but his head and feet can be seen! I added some wire to the bottom hem to give it some shape, but it doesn't have the same sort of hemwork as, say, Red Death, so the wire just sort of floats around in the cape. Oh well.

You know, G.W. was 6' 4" (my height), and if I had a gut like that, well, let's say I think his horse must've had a rough time of it.

He's posed with the spyglass (very cool) in one hand and the exclusive green-hilted sword (eh) in the other. The regular sword is laid at his feet on top of the one map. Classy. Very classy, indeed. Bring on John Adams, dammit!

I was going to sell him to help pay for the coming LOTR and SW push, but I've changed my mind. I'm to big a Rev. War fan to give him up!

I do wonder why they changed his eyes from blue to brown though. Anyone seen a painting of him lately and can tell us what color they are supposed to be?

"Your Humble and Obedient, (drumroll) G. Washington."

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday and was quite pleased. The paint on the head sculpt is very good and I love the outfit. But I noticed something strange, when I pulled the inner box out of the outer shipping box, mine had been already opened. I then noticed that the tape securing the twisty tie to the cardboard had been ripped off previously. but I didn't have any problems with the figure.

But now I have a problem, I took him completely out and assembled him only to find soon after that he was missing a star on his right shoulder board. It didn't fall off and isn't in the package. So I'll now have to send him back for a replacement.
I'd like to know from anyone who has returned a figure, since the exclusive is sold out, will Sideshow replace the whole package with a exclusive or will they substitute a regular version of the figure in the same package? Also will they accept it since it was completely removed from the box?
I've never had to send get a replacement so I don't know how this goes. I hate to deal with this now because I'm in the middle of a move, but it hast to be done because of the 30 day limit.

Back