Star Tours 2 in 3D official for 2011

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shropt

My Little Mod
Reaction score
It's official. Announced at this year's D23 there will be a redo of Star Tours in to Star Tours 2 3D.

Little is known about the ride other than it will feature new updated simulators and will have a pod-racing sequence. Rumors have it that the ride will have a random feature to it.

Here's the official trailer that was shown in 3D at the event.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/_jQaHgsKhQ4&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/_jQaHgsKhQ4&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

If this is going to be all computer animated, like the prequels, and feel like I'm watching a cartoon, I think I will actually prefer the original ride simply because it appeared more real to me than what I see in this trailer. The trailer looks cool, but more like a video game than special effects that make you feel like you are really there.

I had only gone on the original STAR TOURS a couple years ago for the first time. When I was younger and it came out, the wait was 4 or more hours, now you can walk right on. It was very lame, I'm sure I would have liked it when I was younger, but I was a bit disappointed. I hate the prequels so I am happy not to wait in another 4 hour or more line for this ride.

I saw it Today @ D23...
it was disappointing... I mean... STAR Tours...
with Podracing in Tatooine?... I just hope it eventually leads to some SPACE
action included in the ride...

Last edited:
I'm not digging the podrace either. If we're gonna go with a prequel then let's be on our way to Coruscant and arrive as Grievous is kidnapping the Chancellor.

Judging by the trailer, it looks like it would take you into space. And just because the trailer in 2009 may look like a video game doesn't mean the ride in 2011 won't look like an IMAX movie.

I remember the original concept of the ride upgrades and retooling took you through a possible 20 beginnings, 20 middles and 20 endings that would randomize every time you rode it. Here is what I could dig up. Initial press release:

Rasulo announced that a new 3-D version of the tremendously-popular "Star Tours" attraction will debut at the Disneyland Resort and Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2011. Based on the iconic Lucasfilm "Star Wars" films, the attraction will include immersive new elements that will take guests to many familiar places in the Star Wars galaxy.

The first "insider" leaks

It's my own fault for not checking back more often with the Lucasfilm folks, but, well, these types of projects are hard to keep quiet anyway. Here's a snippet from the piece by Peter Sciretta, which reveals that a secretive production has been underway in West Hollywood:

The ride really hasn’t been updated since it opened in 1987. It’s not the total podracer reboot that was rumored a few years back, thank God. I’m hearing that its essentially the same ride but updated. It sounds to me like they might be shooting the footage in 3D, but I’m not sure.

Our source reveals that the revamp will incorporate prequel characters (like Naboo citizens and Geonosians) along with many aliens from the original trilogy (Aqualish. Bith, Rodians, etc). In the action sequence, the Star Tours vehicle is now going to be chased by Boba Fett. C3PO and R2-D2 are still the hosts, and Anthony Daniels will be recording his parts this week. Admiral Ackbar holographically communicates with the Star Tours vehicle. Right now they’re shooting mostly green screen footage, as it is the middle part of the production timeline.

The Concept Art:

3000w.jpg

If its got all those random beginning and endings it sounds like it may be a bit choppy. I like my rides to have a nice flow with a story like the current one. This like it'll be more like Soarin'. But then I love Soarin' so maybe it'll work for this too.

If its got all those random beginning and endings it sounds like it may be a bit choppy. I like my rides to have a nice flow with a story like the current one. This like it'll be more like Soarin'. But then I love Soarin' so maybe it'll work for this too.

I have faith that Disney can make it work. Hopefully, the information about the open story style comes to be true. While at the same presentation, Jay Rasulo mentioned this same concept for one of the new lands in Tokyo Disney.

Good point Incurable, I forgot we're not just dealing with Lucas here. :lol And theming is what Disney does best.

The whole death star trench part was great. I think that is one of the most, if not the most, iconic sequences in Star Wars.

They haven't confirmed whether the old will be completely replaced. Originally it was supposed to add on as if Star Tours went to different spots on each trip and you'd find out once you got on. I doubt the 20/20/20 will come true because it seems like a pain in the ass to make sure but I guarantee it'll have randomizations in it. The Tower of Terror in WDW has done for a while (The one in CA has the old Tower 3 programming so its the same drop sequence) and it spiked ridership for a short time, that will be the icing on top of the cake since Orlando parks' new rides always create a quick spike.

Different destinations would be cool. I can't decide if I would rather the destination be secret and you don't know it until on board, or whether I'd rather choose the destination. The latter has chance that one or two places will have the longest lines, while the former could lead to going on the ride a dozen times to experience them all. But then, I go often enough I'd be cool with that. I need to go and ride this one last time in case it is gone for good.

If it is random they won't announce it until you get on according to early reports. It'd be one of those things where you'd be seated and they say "Welcome to Star Tours visit to Tatooine, we should be there in...." kind of thing and you go "Ah." That way you'd have to get right back in line and hope for the next destination. Either way they'll be reports on the web soon after of how many different variations there are. Its computer randomized like Tower 4 but unlike T4 I doubt it will be as random. T4 allows any number of randomized drops and lifts, always featuring one "faux" drop meant to startle the riders, and one complete drop through the entire tower. You can't have it be that randomized through the various videos with a simulator.

Back