SSC to do McQuarrie figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
12" figures and more. Even if it takes a few years to happen, I'm really excited about this news. :chew

Q: Does Sideshow have the rights in their Star Wars license agreement to create products based on Ralph McQuarrie’s or any concept artists’ designs? Specifically in 1/6th scale.

A: We do believe that our 12-inch figure line could include McQuarrie style figures.

Q: What are the odds we can see 12-inch Luke Skywalker from the Dark Empire series or in Jedi Masters robes as depicted in the cover of Legacy #7? How about some of the characters based on Ralph McQuarrie’s design, such as Hasbro did for their line? I know there are more (plenty of) characters we need from the movies ( I’m looking at you Jango Fett, Boba Fett, Count Dooku…etc), but one can hope for more Expanded Universe Characters in the line.

Q: Yes, we are considering almost all of the characters that you describe. We’re sensitive to how many versions of Luke are offered in our lines, so the Legacy Luke is likely to be a little ways off. McQuarrie’s designs are likely to appear within our lines, although we’re considering his work for all lines (not just 12-inch).

There'd be no Star Wars without McQuarrie, so I'm glad to hear we'll be getting something of his from Sideshow. :banana

I asked them this awhile ago they said it was a possibility, glad to see it's closer to a reality now.
I really want a McQuarrie Luke, Starkiller, and Snowtrooper.

I'd buy a McQuarrie Vader, or a dio of McQuarrie Luke vs Vader, be better quality than the Koto, which is a nice enough piece though.

I'd love for them to offer McQuarrie Droids and Chewie before regulars just to screw with people :lol

I'd buy a McQuarrie Vader, or a dio of McQuarrie Luke vs Vader, be better quality than the Koto, which is a nice enough piece though.

I'd love for them to offer McQuarrie Droids and Chewie before regulars just to screw with people :lol

That is the problem I have with this. It's just another reason to rehash Luke and Vader and not get a new character made.

That is the problem I have with this. It's just another reason to rehash Luke and Vader and not get a new character made.

I'll take it, other companies get to caught up in a few basic figures. Sideshow has a balance of variants of the cores as well as diving into the really obscure. No Hot Toys Star Wars line would have McQuarrie figures or Admiral Pietts, so all in all, I think the Sideshow line really has something grander to offer us and I'm glad for it. I don't feel like main characters like Chewie and the droids are absent because of them making other characters, they'll come when they're capable of doing them, same as Vader. So far, the only doable figures not done yet that are sort of puzzlers as to why we haven't seen them yet have been Lando and Dooku, Lando's coming and Dooku is on the Horizon. The line may be turning out some people slower than some folks would like, but I'm glad we get all the smaller guys too.

I think this is great news for people who love the concept figures. I do like the art but, sadly I have neither the space nor the funds to add this stuff to my collection.
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
But, I can't wait to see what they look like.

Basically what's going on with me as well but I'm definitely interested in seeing the results.

Pretty much all I think I'd get from this would be the "Starkiller" Hero and Vader for the duel, unless they do it in Dio format and maybe the droids. Thinking about it though, I think a nice sized dio line would be perfect for these designs.

I'd be interested in both McQuarrie Vader variants and of course Stormtrooper and Snowtrooper.

I spent almost as many hours in my youth pouring over McQuarrie concept art for SW as I did watching the actual films. I'd buy any figures SSC made in a heartbeat. They'd look great displayed in front of prints of his art.

Check out his Emperor Palpatine:

RalphMcQuarrie_EmperorZapsLuke.jpg

Cool, they answered my question.
When I asked if it was possible under their agreement with Lucasfilm,
I was primarily interested in Vader, Starkiller, Grievous, Clone in snow gear,sith.

Last edited:
I'm in. I too spent tons of hours when I was a kid looking at McQuarrie art. I had this art of star wars book that I actually just found the other day. I absolutely love his stuff.

Back