Absolute DC Books

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
With the new V for Vendetta book coming out next week i'm on the quest to add some of these books to my shelf. right now i've only ordered two off of ebay with the 10% discount (Batman Long Halloween and the Dark Knight--will probably get Hush this month too) , but i'd really like some feedback on some of the other ones.
i ordered the Green Lantern: Rebirth on amazon, but what's the consensus on
Superman : For Tomorrow and the Kingdom Come books???

Kingdom Come is a classic.
Superman for Tomorrow is so so, but a good companion piece to Hush since they both feature Jim Lee's art.

Kingdom Come is great. Not sure if For Tomorrow deserves the Absolute format since the story is ok at best.

Kingdom Come, New Frontier, Hush, and Watchmen are all must owns in my opinion in the Absolute format. If you want good deals on these, try Amazon. I don't own Dark Knight Returns in Absolute because I have a great hardcover of it that is several years old but it is one that is worth getting in Absolute as well. For Tomorrow I also own in regular hardcover format but I have to say I would pass on this in Absolute. Now, if you really want to spend a whole crap load of cash on a truly great grail Absolute edition, seek out PLANETARY ABSOLUTE! I spent $250.00 on a mint copy two years ago to get this and I consider it one of the greatest comic books I own. Everybody who sees my collection goes right it when they first see it. I just hope DC/Wildstorm takes the rest of the series and puts it out in Absolute because that would make me a very happy collector. And of course, Sandman Absolute. If you don't own it any other form, take the plunge on Vols. 1 and 2.

I have the absolute Watchmen, but no others. I honestly didn't like V for Vendetta enough to pay out for the absolute edition of it (ducks for cover - I love the movie much more than the GN).

Having an absolute edition of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would be cool, and I would love, love, love something similar to be done with Don Rosa's Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck with the companion stories edited in.

I have the ABSOLUTE versions of Watchmen & The New Frontier and I can't recommend them enough. I already had hard bound fancy pants versions of the DK Returns & Kingdom Come. Do it!

I actually sold my "Dark Knight Returns", "Watchmen" & "Kingdom Come" super duper limited editions when the Absolute versions were released. I didn't have any interest in the extras included with those earlier volumes and prefer the oversize reformatted Absolute editions. They are extremely well done. I have every volume except the first "Absolute Authority" and I'm too poor at the moment to spring for it at aftermarket prices. And I have everything coming out that's been announced on preorder with the exception of three (!) volumes of "Promethia", which is utter madness in my opinion. Thank you DC, youv'e cured me of completism in this line. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them that contain material that's of interest to you. This is about as good as it gets in compilations.

I actually sold my "Dark Knight Returns", "Watchmen" & "Kingdom Come" super duper limited editions when the Absolute versions were released. I didn't have any interest in the extras included with those earlier volumes and prefer the oversize reformatted Absolute editions. They are extremely well done. I have every volume except the first "Absolute Authority" and I'm too poor at the moment to spring for it at aftermarket prices. And I have everything coming out that's been announced on preorder with the exception of three (!) volumes of "Promethia", which is utter madness in my opinion. Thank you DC, youv'e cured me of completism in this line. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them that contain material that's of interest to you. This is about as good as it gets in compilations.
thanks man, this is the news i'm interested in hearing. i think i'm gonna order kingdom come and v for vendetta

Is there a particular order to read some of the famous batman books? A time line at all? I've been wanting to buy them, but I don't know where to start.

Don't mean to hijack thread...

Is there a particular order to read some of the famous batman books? A time line at all? I've been wanting to buy them, but I don't know where to start.

Don't mean to hijack thread...

I don't think there's a particular order you should read them in. But you could start with Year One and then read The Long Halloween followed by Dark Victory. These stories deal with begginings of Batman.

I don't think there's a particular order you should read them in. But you could start with Year One and then read The Long Halloween followed by Dark Victory. These stories deal with begginings of Batman.

I would actually fit Ed Brubaker's "The Man Who Laughs" in between Year One and The Long Halloween. Bru's story is actually the Year One Joker story and in the DC continuity/timeline, the Joker's first appearance. Though we don't get his origin until The Killing Joke which occurs years later in the timeline.

Yeah, the hunt is now on to get an Absolute Authority to go along with my Absolute Planetary but of course the price is going to be out of control!

I am hoping that DC releases Dark Victory in Absolute format sometime in the near future.

I have Absolute Superman: For Tomorrow, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Kingdom Come, New Frontier, Batman: Hush, Long Halloween, Dark Knight, Ronin, Sandman 1-4, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1 & 2, and Watchmen. Vendetta, Death, Promethea and Justice are on order. One day I will have enough spare income to go back and pick up the early ones that I'm missing. I will continue to pick up every one they release, as the presentation is just too nice to pass up.

I would actually fit Ed Brubaker's "The Man Who Laughs" in between Year One and The Long Halloween. Bru's story is actually the Year One Joker story and in the DC continuity/timeline, the Joker's first appearance. Though we don't get his origin until The Killing Joke which occurs years later in the timeline.

Thanks guys. I'm going to pick up those four up.

If you have a Borders bookstore near you, I highly recommend that a). You get the Borders rewards card and b). check your email regularly. I just got an email with a 40% off any book in the store coupon good till Monday. I plan for when these coupons come out because it's when I get all my fancy art, movie and reference books. I know Borders carry Absolute books, might be a good time to get out there and do some hunting.

Back