How about 1/4 scale ACW & WWI

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88th division

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I just thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone would be interested. I for one would love to see either or both done in this scale, since I do not think we will see much from either line in the future in 1/6th

It doesn't look like Napoleon did so well, so any historical PFs are probably not so likely. I believe a WWII German officer was even planned, but has since been scrapped.

Darklord Dave said:
It doesn't look like Napoleon did so well, so any historical PFs are probably not so likely. I believe a WWII German officer was even planned, but has since been scrapped.
Yep, Andy did the sculpt and he looked great!
He's the one on the opposite side of Napoleon on the right side of the page, you may have to scroll right to see him (I have to).
https://www.absculpture.com/gallery.htm
I'm not sure if all the diehard WWII collectors would go for it, but WWII Premium Formats would definitely sell better then the Napoleon did imho.

I mourn the German Officer ever since I saw him on Andy's portfolio.
I still don't understand why Napoleon sold so badly, I find him to be in my top 3 of Sideshow favourites. I suppose it's the subject itself that doesn't appeal to people.
In that regard I doubt that WWI figures would pick of very well, although I'd be allover them. ACW figures however have to be a sure winner, right? Especially be the best choice for the US market.
Perhaps it would be more attractive to the market if they were to combine it with movie licenses. How about a Kevin Costner as Lieutenant John J. Dunbar, instead of a 'historical' or generic Union Army figure.
Mel Gibson as the Patriot's Benjamin Martin, hell we could even get that long desired Gladiator statue this way. Would be a great way to satisfy both history-lovers and moviefans.
Keep on dreaming, I guess, no doubt licensing this kind of stuff would be far to expensive, else it would probably have been done already.

I agree it's a real shame the 1/4 scale military/historical program didn't get off to a better start. That line has the potential for some of the most impressive costume work out of any of our Premium Format figures, it could really be stunning.

I believe the problem was the subject and that the line could be successful.
I can't help but think George Washington would have been a much better choice for a first in this series if SSC wanted to offer a military leader from the late eighteenth century.
ACW personalities as well as "generic" Napoleanics in colorful uniforms could be very popular. Perhaps it's the part of the US in which I reside, but it's hard for me to believe you couldn't sell out a J.E.B. Stuart or Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson without breaking a sweat if marketed properly.
I also think WWII 1/4 figures of men like Patton, Monty, Rommel and others would do very well. Hope this line gets another chance.

Just wanted to add the Napoleon 1/4 scale figure was excellent with beautiful costuming and sculpt. There wasn't a darned thing wrong with the execution. Just not the right subject for the first time out.

Would Washington really have better appeal than Napoleon on a world-wide basis? I don't really think so, but I could be wrong.

I seriously would buy any military/historical 1/4 scale figures. Especially George Washington! Napoleon just doesn't appeal to me.

"Would Washington really have better appeal than Napoleon on a world-wide basis? I don't really think so, but I could be wrong."
Really I don't think it matters Dave as long as the figure sells. I think it's better for SSC if they create a purely/mostly US interest success as I believe a 1/4 PF Washington would be rather than an International fiasco/failure as Napoleon appears to be. An offering with international appeal would be a good thing but a sellout is a sellout. I think they like to sell product to anyone who will buy it and appreciate it regardless of there postal code.
ACW stuff sells pretty well even though it's mostly (Though not exclusively. I can say as a long time toy soldier collector there is interest in France and Britain for ACW lead, tin, and other composition soldiers) US consumers who are interested in the subject.
This also may be a line that has to have shorter production runs and a higher price point. It may be the only way to make it work profitably although I think there are subjects that could be sold in that thousand piece range.
I'd just hate to think no 1/4 scale military subjects will ever be offered again because Napoleon wasn't popular. I hope this won't be SSC's PF Waterloo.
Sorry, I had to say it.

My thoughts on this is if you dont market these to that line of collectors they will never know. I think thats what happened to Napoleon, some of the Sideshow fans will pick him up (like me) but most will pass him by. There is a lot of Military zines out there that could be advertised in that would really help sell this line. In this one WWII mag I found a company that did statues of Patton and Rommel ect that looked very nice and and they kept them limited. I still would rather them be mixed media than pure sculpt.
Washington I think would look pretty cool in the 1/4 scale but it would have to be marketed to a different crowd to really sell well.

Last edited:
Well put Viking, my thoughts exactly. There is a crowd for this stuff, I think it's even as significant as the movie collectibles public, but it's not the general Sideshow crowd.

Well put Viking, my thoughts exactly. There is a crowd for this stuff, I think it's even as significant as the movie collectibles public, but it's not the general Sideshow crowd.

I agree Doomhammer, there are a lot of military and history buffs out there that would go crazy for the historical 1/4s. They just have to be marketed to them for them to find out instead of the average Sideshow crowd.

I wan't too crazy for the 1/4th format. A 1/6th Napoleon would have been better. I hope Sideshow will have a greater focus with their 1/6th military lines this year.

GIGENE said:
I wan't too crazy for the 1/4th format. A 1/6th Napoleon would have been better. I hope Sideshow will have a greater focus with their 1/6th military lines this year.

I LOVE my 1/4 scale Napolean!!! He just looks so awesome, like he is looking over the battlefield and thinking "the world is mine".

Some quick picks for military leaders 1/4s:
Rommel
Washington
Patton
Charlemagne
Hannibal
Julius Ceasar
Anthony
Alexander the Great
Genghis kahn

I would really love to see a Rommel 1/4
rommel.jpg

Last edited:
I believe Washington would have been a better choice. I hope SS doesn't give up 1/4 scale on military figures. I believe a figure like Caesar in full Roman military regalia would have been a huge hit. Napoleon Bonaparte is a figure that summons divided emotions. A great military leader to be sure but, a nasty little fellow too. Can you even imagine Greg Mowry of Geppeto Productions detailing a Washington. Wow, when can I order that. I hope SSC is on the ball with a premiun scale Lincoln for next years release of Spielberg's Lincoln.

Patton, that's one head sculpt Dragon got wrong and they'r multi-purposing that one. Actually Hasbros headsculpt of Patton was pretty well done.

Back