Dyatlov Pass Incident

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agen_kolar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Okay so this happened back on February 2, 1959 - but yesterday was the first I've ever heard of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Essentially, nine skiers were found dead in the Ural Mountains under extremely mysterious circumstances. In the middle of the night, they literally tore out of their tents and ran out into the ridiculously cold weather, in an apparent attempt to flee something - they didn't even take the time to get dressed. All died within 6-8 hours after their last meal; none survived the night. Three were found with fatal injuries: two had crushed chests and one with a crushed skull. However, there was no external damage - only the internal breaks. Another was found with a cracked skull, but not considered fatal. Another was found with her entire oral cavity lining and tongue missing. The clothes on the victims had traces of radioactivity, although it is unclear if this was present at the time of their deaths.

Afterwards, family members who attended the funerals reported that all the victims' appearance had changed - they all bore orange skin and white hair. Those in the nearby areas that night reported strange orange orbs glowing in the skies, which lingered for a month thereafter. These were confirmed by military and meteorologists as unexplainable objects.

The conclusion? The nine skiers were killed by an "unknown, compelling force."

Has anyone else heard of this? If so, what are your theories?

It probally was a Almas or Aliens..or like mentioned in one link from that site, KGB cover up.

It was fallen angels sent to deceive us. :lecture It's called the oomp loompa strain. Very dangerous! Make sure to wear your tinfoil hat at all times when skiing. :lecture

Not to be an uncaring bastard but this would make a great Russian horror film... Hollywood, stay the ^^^^ away!

I read an article that offered a fairly plausible, if mundane, explaination for this event which I am inclined to agree with. It involved some of the group panicking at the thought of an avalanche that did not really happen and then the rest dying in an actual avalanche that caught them as they looked for their friends.

I am good with...well...at least something to that effect. Maybe those who were buried were out and got trapped in the avalanche and the others who were partially clothed heard that avalanche and panicked.

I read an article that offered a fairly plausible, if mundane, explaination for this event which I am inclined to agree with. It involved some of the group panicking at the thought of an avalanche that did not really happen and then the rest dying in an actual avalanche that caught them as they looked for their friends.

I am good with...well...at least something to that effect. Maybe those who were buried were out and got trapped in the avalanche and the others who were partially clothed heard that avalanche and panicked.

That could be it but, still does not explain the missing tongue from the one woman.The radiation on the bodies could have been from the lanterns they had or something, it is mentioned in some of the related links in the wiki link posted.

This sounds like a real genuine X-File if I ever heard one. I'm inclined to go with the second theory. It was a military cover-up. What would cause them to wake up and rip their tent to flee nakedly into snow? They were awaken by the "orange lights in the sky" and panicked and 3 of the skiers were attacked by a Force Majeure that crushed their bones internally and removed the tongue of the female, possibly bitten off herself at the moment of the attack. Other survivors attempted to return to the tent but died of hypothermia on the way back. All of them had been exposed to extreme radiation discharge that caused their orange skin discoloration and hair to go white. There is evidence of missing documents regarding a military cover-up. It all points to some kind of accidental military test or perhaps they deliberately targeted them for testing some kind of weapon because of their remote and isolated location from eyewitnesses who only reported seeing the strange lights around the pass.

Dyatlov Pass, Avalanche Theory

One theory on the skier's deaths holds that avalanches caused the deaths of the nine skiers. Avalanches pose a danger on slopes steeper than 15° and the slope immediately above the campsite was at 22-23°, and, at 164 to 328 feet above the campsite, 25-30°.

This theory is problematic because it doesn’t account for the radiation and the bodies’ conditions.

Dyatlov Pass, Military Testing Theory

The event at Dyatlov Pass happened during the era of the Cold War and the Iron Curtain. Journalists trying to write about the incident had their books and articles censored. Investigators found official records to be classified or missing. Could radioactivity from a secret weapons test drive have caused the incident?

Six rescuers and thirty-one experts met to seek answers about the tragedy. Despite the lack of records, they concluded that the military had been carrying out tests in the area and had unintentionally caused the deaths with the disclaimer that they lacked documents from the Defense Ministry, the FSB and the space agency to provide them with complete information.

Dyatlov Pass, UFO Theory

Some people think UFOs caused the deaths because there were reports from others in the region who saw mysterious bright orange spheres in the direction of Dyatlov Pass. Declassified files contain testimony from a group of adventurers who camped about 5,368 yards south of the skiers on the second who said they saw strange orange spheres floating in the sky in the direction of Kholat-Syakhl.

Finally, in 1990, Chief Investigator, Lev Ivanov, said he had been ordered by senior officials to close the case and classify it as secret. They’d been troubled by reports from multiple eyewitnesses, including the weather service and military, that bright flying spheres were sighted in the area in February and March 1959. At the time, Ivanov suspected and was, then, almost sure that these spheres had a direct connection to the skiers’ deaths

What really happened during the night of February 2nd, 1959, may never be known.

Military cover up makes the most sense to me too. The year and timing fits.

But the thing about what was seen is, that some sort of an air burst makes the most sense. A weapon which exploded in the air and caused a concussion blast could explain the orange lights in the sky, but not the radioactive clothing or injuries decribed.

Now if in fact, they wandered into a test area, the radiation could have been in the ground, and the government could just say they found nothing in the ground. But again this doesn't explain crushed skulls with no external signs of injury.

The tongue is interesting too, my first thought was she bit it off in terror or while shaking from freezing to death, but they describe it as if it was more then that.

It's also really odd, that the people they found right away seem to have been simply frozen, while the ones who took some time were the ones who were mutilated.

I'd definately like some more information, these things fascinate me.

Kind of reminds me of the film Endangered Species about the cattle mutilations of the 70's which (according to the film) was a stealth covert military project that was testing laser weaponry on cattle and using the UFO paranoia as a smokescreen.

In the case of the Dyatlov incident, it seems the 3 who were found the furthest away from the camp (more than a kilometer) had suffered traumatic internal fractures and one was missing her tongue as if all three were struck by a powerful force. The others turned around and attempted to return to their tent but all of them died from hypothermia. However, ALL were exposed to high levels of radiation, perhaps not from an atomic blast but some kind of intense beam or gamma rays that hit the area.

If only they had Indy's fridge.

Thanks for posting this Agen, it is a very interesting story.

And thats a very informative link there Deckard, i am enjoying this read.

Last edited:
That's a very interesting timeline of events that negates the avalanche theory. The speculation that it was a MIG flying overhead makes sense. The noise of the afterburners would confuse them into thinking an avalanche was approaching and the orange afterburners would account for the "orange glowing spheres" seen in the skies by nearby eyewitnesses.

But no airbases nearby.

They ran a mile from camp, they would have realised after 2-3 minutes oh the sound passed and was a jet, or theres no snow chasing us.

I like the Manci theory but not of abduction. I think it's likely they were in their tents and attacked, possibly while sleeping. I also think this is how they sustained the skull and rib damage. The Manci simply wanted them off their land, perhaps believing they were the government looking for oil and planned to send others which would disturb their peace.

I think they fled but were not chased, and then everything else unfolded as described in the avalanche theory, they were afraid to go back in case they Manci were still there. Two froze to death which prompted the others who were not injured to try anyway, the 3 who tryed froze on the way back to camp.

When they didn't return the remaining survivors figured the Manci had gotten them and may follow the tracks back to where they were so they went the opposite way. This would explain why this final group were the ones with injuries, the unijured tryed first and failed leaving it upto the injured to help themselves. I believe they tryed to use the ravine for cover from the wind and were unable to establish a shelter or fire do to said injuries and ultimately froze to death.

Last edited:
I_want_to_believe.jpg

I don't buy the nuclear test or avalanche theories. For one, a small explosion would've damaged the surrounding area - though there was no damage. The avalanche theory fails to convince me because I've seen photos of the area they were in, and it actually wasn't very mountainous. Not to mention, if they were in an avalanche, they were running in the wrong direction to escape it.

It seems to me that something so horrifying - that we can't even imagine what it might have been - made them rip out of their tents and flee into the night without their winter clothes on.

None of those theories well represent the damage done to the bodies. If there was a bomb or avalanche, there would be proof. Yet there was none. The fact that one of the young women had her tongue and oral lining cut out also cannot be explained by these theories.

The theory about the Mansi would work for me, with one small problem - they confirmed that there were no other individuals in the area. The footprints of the victims were the only ones found in the area.

I really think something was after them, somehow. Something that made them so afraid, they refused to go back to their tents until some of the party had already died. They did that only as a last resort, and by then, it was too late.

I don't buy the nuclear test or avalanche theories. For one, a small explosion would've damaged the surrounding area - though there was no damage. The avalanche theory fails to convince me because I've seen photos of the area they were in, and it actually wasn't very mountainous. Not to mention, if they were in an avalanche, they were running in the wrong direction to escape it.

It seems to me that something so horrifying - that we can't even imagine what it might have been - made them rip out of their tents and flee into the night without their winter clothes on.

None of those theories well represent the damage done to the bodies. If there was a bomb or avalanche, there would be proof. Yet there was none. The fact that one of the young women had her tongue and oral lining cut out also cannot be explained by these theories.

The theory about the Mansi would work for me, with one small problem - they confirmed that there were no other individuals in the area. The footprints of the victims were the only ones found in the area.

I really think something was after them, somehow. Something that made them so afraid, they refused to go back to their tents until some of the party had already died. They did that only as a last resort, and by then, it was too late.

Unfortunately most of your info is the myth and not the facts.

They didn't find the bodies for a week and it was snowing the whole time. Footprints did not exist with the execption of the rescue searchers footprints.

If the bodies found were covered in 4 meters of snow, logic dictates the same would have occured to any footprints.

And the girls tongue was not ripped out, she died with her mouth open and it deteriorated naturally from the weather.

Every source I've found has stated that her tongue was removed, not deteriorated, and that footprints were found a week later, although at a certain point they were lost in the snow. Only a few of the bodies were found under 4 meters of snow, mostly the ones with severe injuries.

Also check this out :

Could the answer to this mystery be the occurrence of an Infrasound phenomenon?

Yes! This could actually be the real reason for the panic that gripped the skiers. As the famous literary character Sherlock Holmes once said: “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?” Actually, Infrasound is neither impossible nor improbable – it’s something new that people are only just beginning to understand.

Current Observation and Summation

From the answers that we have now received to our initial questions we have discovered that much of the apparent “bizarreness” surrounding this mystery is actually misinformation or exaggeration.

Dubanina’s tongue was not ripped out it was degraded through natural processes

The radiation found was inconsequential

The area was not sealed off to everyone – only amateur sports groups

The case was never classified

There are currently no records of any experimental aircraft being tested in the area in 1959

There is no evidence (now or then) that the area was used to test weapons. However, this doesn’t rule out secret testing

Photographs thought to be missile parts have turned out to be old radar units

The mysterious envelope contained only general correspondence

Photographs show that any discolouration of the bodies was wholly normal

The woman on the train who claimed there were eleven people has turned out to be a very unreliable witness (and a different person altogether).

The injuries discovered are explainable and consistent with those that might be expected to occur in a group of desperate and clearly frightened people that had been stumbling around in dangerous conditions in the dark.

There is absolutely no substantiated evidence for crashed UFO’s, Concussion Weapons, Mad Mansi or Russian Death Squads.

All the physical evidence found at the time and subsequent analysis and testing indicates that there was no avalanche. However, at least one person involved with this case still believes that an avalanche was the cause.

Back