IM MKI SS or Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimbo

Super Freak
Reaction score
All you Iron Man fans who are getting the IM MkI, which one are you getting, the Sideshow maquette version or the Hot Toys 12" version? they both look pretty good to me, but was just curious to see what you guys preferred out of the two.

The SS Statue owns and would make a center peice... but for the Money the HT's is what I went with.. will get the Statue down the road.

That said.. there is already 2 MKI threads to discuss this.

Sideshow by far for me, but I would think it comes down to what you collect. I don't collect action figures, so I wouldn't consider a HT version. But, if you already have some figures, and money is tight, get the HT.

The HT figure is more accurate than the SS maquette. I had both on pre-order, but decided to cancel the maquette after I was able to analyze and compare both. The face sculpt wasn't a deciding factor for me considering it will always be displayed with the mask down. If you're not a stickler for details I guess it all boils down to what you want and what you can afford.

The Hot Toys 12'' is the Poor Man's Mark 1.

The Sideshow Maquette all the way.Unless you want a sub par display.

reading all of your posts going back and forth is so fun! I wish i had some popcorn! ;p

I collect statues so I would go SS MK1 but that aside I think the SS version has more presence.

Sideshow Mark I all the way...comes in this week...

Some characters just have that command presence that demand statues.

SS, it's just common sense to me that a statue is better than a figure, especially one that is nearly twice the size.

Well I guess it really is boiling down to which people prefer to collect figures or statues or if you collect both then it will come down to price or which of the looks better than the other. I assume the HT is going to be 12" like rest of the HT IMs? so what size is the SS IM then because he is quite a bit more expensive?

So far I have only got IM II SS ex but would like to get the whole set eventually one day like a few on here have.

there's no denying the hot toys figure is by far the more accurate rendition of the mark1 armour, in terms of both sculpt and paint app. the maquette lacks detail and in fact some things are just plain wrong (eg: the chest RT).

but it all depends on what u want. some people prefer the physical presence that a statue undeniably has, due to its sheer size. it has that museum showpiece-like feel.

to me, both have their merits and drawbacks. and it all boils down to size, not an issue of cost. personally i wouldn't get the maquette even though i can afford it. so if u don't mind the smaller scale, then go for the ht figure. if you're a "size-freak" then go for the ss.

Just removed my HT Mk1 from it's box, you will be blown away with the detail and it's general overall presence. Having said that SS maquette is an extra 6" taller that alone will give you an even greater wow' factor, then on top of that the real underclothing wires and cables complete the final look. If you can get both you would not be disappointed. Good Luck

I saw the SS MK I in real life and trust me , ewww!....all I can think of after seeing it was this guy!
barbarian3.jpg

go for the HT version, a nice piece overall!:D

The Hot Toys 12'' is the Poor Man's Mark 1.

The Sideshow Maquette all the way.Unless you want a sub par display.

LOL The polystone whores will always chime in with these statements. The HT version has it beat hands down in accuracy, quality and value. Yeah a big statue has the wow factor over 12" figures simply by virtue of size. But get the ^^^^ outta your eyes though and what you end up with is an inferior representation of the source material...imo

LOL The polystone whores will always chime in with these statements. The HT version has it beat hands down in accuracy, quality and value. Yeah a big statue has the wow factor over 12" figures simply by virtue of size. But get the ^^^^ outta your eyes though and what you end up with is an inferior representation of the source material...imo

Enjoy your cheap asian plastic then.

Back