PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions on SS Leia 12 inch

Raymond F.
08-21-2009, 06:33 AM
Im thinking of picking up this figure after work today, I remember always thinking it had a decent likeness, not as good as the PF but really pretty overall decent.

But how is the rest of the figure? I know it only has one set of hands but what else? the body? will I be needing to convert it to a Hot Toys female body. Can that eve be done?

How is the likeness in person and out of the box.

Is this a good figure overall and not just the best/only figure of Leia in this outfit>

Dorgmal Snow
08-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Ow this is a tough one. I have Leia ANH and Bounty hunter.

I think both head sculpts are great, but the ANH head is MASSIVE, its such a shame. I think you may be right about swapping to a bigger body, it may help.
But if she is cheap!! I would not miss the chance! Oww that alll sound a bit dodgy LOL

Hope it helps

Dorgmal

jkno
08-21-2009, 06:57 AM
I think both head sculpts are great, but the ANH head is MASSIVE, its such a shame. I think you may be right about swapping to a bigger body, it may help.

I just imagined Leia's head on a Hasbro 12" Chewbacca body LOL:lol

Dorgmal Snow
08-21-2009, 07:06 AM
LOL less hairy but close LOL

Rook
08-21-2009, 07:07 AM
I like it. I think that the likeness is the best in the game. Not that of the pretty, demure Leia, but with more of the dogged determination and grit we see when she's in the Death Star escape.

Unfortunately, the plus side stops with the likeness. The dress was a bit of a letdown. With what they had to work with (i.e. the 1/6 scale limitations), they did okay for the most part. I can't imagine that a fabric exists that would reproduce the folds in the gown that we see in the film. So what they've done, while not ideal, is likely the best that can be done at this scale.

But there are several figures (mine included) that suffered from fraying on the sleeves.

Here are a couple of pics of mine to help you out. Both will show you the fraying I spoke of, but I hope that you'll also notice that the likeness really is quite excellent. Overall, I think it's a highly underrated figure, and if you have any sort of a Star Wars 12" collection at all, she'll make a fine addition that will stand out.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2295/2113513390_ceec94428c_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3636/3631836403_d370bce62a_b.jpg

Dorgmal Snow
08-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Wonderful pics Rook. My dress is the same!! humm I mean Leias' mines fine :naughty

Raymond F.
08-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the opinions and the fantastic pics, really work to sell the idea on me, the pic alongside her to the luke really proves how good the likeness is compared to that mark hammil interpretation.

How is the female buck? how is the posing and does it look like a natural human female? I know the big dress helps hide it. do i need to spend another 40-50 to swap her to a female HT body?

galactiboy
08-21-2009, 07:21 AM
ANH Leia is a fairly disappointing figure overall. I wouldn't have bought her on her own, but I'm happy to have her so I can fill out the ANH collection.

Rook
08-21-2009, 07:25 AM
I've consistently been more satisfied with the most recent female Bucks than I have their male counterparts. :nod Asajj Ventriss comes to mind. That figure is just infinitely poseable.

Mad Old Lu
08-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Beautiful shots, Rook! I don't have her either, and I'm always looking out for a bargain on ebay. Too bad about the dress fraying, though.

Dorgmal Snow
08-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the opinions and the fantastic pics, really work to sell the idea on me, the pic alongside her to the luke really proves how good the likeness is compared to that mark hammil interpretation.

How is the female buck? how is the posing and does it look like a natural human female? I know the big dress helps hide it. do i need to spend another 40-50 to swap her to a female HT body?

I would be really interested to know folks opinion on this. What body would be the best as I know nothing about the female bodies.

(What is going on ever post I write seems to be turning on me!!)

Shai
08-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Her head is big as a Pumpkin.

galactiboy
08-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Oh Dorgmal :lol

The Buck is really not terrible if its well covered. But due to the odd proportions (really small waist and pencil thin arms) it can look weird on scantly clad figures.

The female TrueType is a great looking body. Also there are other companies like Triad, Cy Girls but they usually have giant boobs which don't work for all characters.

MaulFan
08-21-2009, 07:32 AM
I think the body works fine for Leia, the only thing I really find to drop her down a peg is the dress. As has been mentioned, I'm sure it's a tough dress to figure out a fabric that's not to thick looking and all, but the material used just has something about it, that and the collar being a separate piece and the hood not really big enough to wear.

galactiboy
08-21-2009, 07:37 AM
The oddest thing about the outfit is that it was a material that would not really take to shaping or water treatment. So basically what you got out of the box is what you were stuck with... and for me that wasn't too pretty :lol

JustinLuck
08-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I still would like a Leia sculpted like this:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lwlpq9.jpg

Darthrazz
08-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I still would like a Leia sculpted like this:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lwlpq9.jpg

Looking at this picture, the SS Leia's Hair Buns are too small.

The Craw
08-21-2009, 11:09 AM
every time i feel the urge to get this figure, i look through the thread again and change my mind. for every good picture there are about 2 dozen bad pictures that just don't do it for me. i'll stick with my boushh leia for now and hope we get a decent hoth leia in the future.

FLOSI
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't pay more then 35 for her to be honest. She does look good right next to Han and Luke but she's shockingly bland in every way. I think the headsculpt is pretty good. Pumpkin head? Mos Def, but the hair buns also lend to that look. Fem Buck body is SUPER basic, no dynamic poses can be done. Dress is what it is right out of the box, as said previously. Hell, the hood isn't even usable. One set of hands and some nice boots along with two blasters.... I can't even think of a way to make her better aside from a fresh paint job?

MaulFan
08-21-2009, 12:14 PM
The oddest thing about the outfit is that it was a material that would not really take to shaping or water treatment. So basically what you got out of the box is what you were stuck with... and for me that wasn't too pretty :lol

What bothers me more is it's almost too thin, and her outfit is like a cotton type fabric, and the figure has a shine to it, doesn't even really resemble her costume fabric, but I think they opted for whatever was closest and thin. I love Sideshow's figures, but ANH Leia ranks pretty low out of the 30-40 figures in the Star Wars line, but the upside is, there's just a lot of pretty solid ones so it's not like she's atrocious, just below the par the majority have set.

Looking at this picture, the SS Leia's Hair Buns are too small.

That is an aspect open to personal preference. If you really study photos and film stills, the buns were an inconsistent size. Some shots, they're almost the whole height of her head, others they're more like Sideshow's figure.

It's a bit like AOTC Obi-Wan, even when it was Ewan's natural hair, there's a handful of looks he had that you could choose for a figure, it's too pricey to offer them all, so you have to just go with what you think is best.

Wor-Gar
08-21-2009, 12:21 PM
This is one of those figures that looks good in conjunction with other figures but isn't very nice on its own or with scrutinizing it too hard. Lots wrong with her. But I do like her next to Luke, Han and Ben on the shelf. Her size is the one thing that's accurate.

FLOSI
08-21-2009, 12:25 PM
This is one of those figures that looks good in conjunction with other figures but isn't very nice on its own or with scrutinizing it too hard. Lots wrong with her. But I do like her next to Luke, Han and Ben on the shelf. Her size is the one thing that's accurate.

:lecture
That says it all, really. She makes a display look complete.

ChibiSchmoo
08-21-2009, 06:17 PM
I guess a big question to ask is - do you want this version of Leia in your collection? Because we're not likely to get a redo.

I find the eyes problematic - the direction they're looking really limits the poses you can get out of her. Granted, they improve the few poses they match with. But you can't, for example, get a good looking pose of her pointing the stun blaster straight ahead, two-handed, like when she shot the Stormtroopers. A repaint could fix that, but you might not want to go to the trouble. And speaking of that pose, would it have killed them to give us a trigger hand?

The dress is bad and they could've easily improved it by using a simple, thin, cheap, stretchy, polyester that you can buy in any fabric store. That's what I've found works best for any clothing that needs to bunch or "hang" - like capes.

I do think the headsculpt is better than Boushh Leia's, though the buns are a little smaller than most people remember them.

Raymond F.
08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Well I did get it and while it has flaws overall Im pretty impressed and I have to be completley honest that I'm not at all impressed with most SS Star war humans except literally Old Ben Kenobi, AOTC Obi Wan, SSDC Han and Luke heads. I had to touch up a couple black marks around the eye and cut off fraying threads. Also are the legs loose on your guys' because its quite loose on mine.

the buck is hidden and the proportions look good so i might as well save the 50 bucks to swap bodys. she doesn't need to assume many poses and the ones she does assume look pretty natural to me.

agreed that the hood is useless and the dress could have been way better. I wish i could have found her for 30 cause then id be pretty happy, too bad it was almost double.

FlyAndFight
08-23-2009, 02:30 PM
In hand, she doesn't suffer from bobble-head syndrome. For some reason, it appears this way in the photos. Headsculpt-wise, my only gripe would be that the buns are indeed too small, which may feed the bobble-head look.

The dress material is pretty bad and unfortunately cheapy. Frays are going to be found regardless. I spent some time trimming the frays off, as much as possible. Also, the cut of the dress was too tight so that you can't add folds to it if you wanted to. Don't forget that the collar of the dress is separate from the dress. It's not attached, so it separate from the dress and look like it was ripped out by mistake.

But even with all the complaints, I still like this figure and am glad that I was able to pick her up for a good deal.

joda76
08-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I had this Leia and although iconic I just didnt like it much. Here to hopes of Bespin or Endor Leia. Im gonna get a piece of art work to reperesent Ep IV Leia.

ProgMatinee
08-23-2009, 04:52 PM
or let another company have a chance at it.

What does that mean? As far as I know there is nothing stopping Medicom from making it. Do you mean SSC should lease out just ANH Leia to a company like HT to make? I don't think thats a realistic possibility. Kind of a foolish comment there seeded from sceptisism and cynicism, but not out of reality.

Anyway, it would not meet current figure standards at $70 per figure, but I think its a good figure if you can find her for less than $40.

MaulFan
08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
The sculpt is pretty good on this figure, to me what drops it down is the posed eye paint job and the behavior of the dress material, and with such a basic costume, it kinda hurts to have the fabrice be weak because it makes up most of the figure's look.

70thSith
10-10-2009, 05:48 AM
This morning I was in a toy convention and after seeing all the items for sale (and because of growing boredom) I decided to take a look at a lone still-boxed Leia sitting on a shelf. After opening the box flaps, I was surprised at how pretty the face was. So pretty it almost didnt matter if it had an accurate Carrie Fisher likeness or not. Maybe it's because I didn't have any high expectations that I was easily impressed.

Now I can't stop thinking about the figure. I may return tomorrow to buy it and what made it more tempting to me is that it's on 50% off! This poor figure isn't getting much attention because it's displayed right next to a lot of Hot Toys and Enterbay items. But I also figured to see some comments and pictures here before buying. Btw, is this the only ANH Leia thread here?

icruise
10-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Btw, is this the only ANH Leia thread here?

Search is your friend. ;)

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17691
http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26571

djsosharp
10-10-2009, 06:00 PM
If you can find a deal (as someone else said, certainly if $35 or less) you should get it. You'll be happy you did, I'm glad to have her.

Although yes the eyes are a bit of a drag. Not NEARLY as bad as Padme though LOL.

70thSith
10-11-2009, 04:22 AM
Search is your friend. ;)

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17691
http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26571

Thanks bro!