SSC Dinosauria - Carnotaurus Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC

Super Freak
Reaction score
OK guys, he's finally here, and I must say he came out better than I hoped...

Those that were worried about the paint apps don't, because the paint apps on this thing is just awesome, SS spared no expense in the detail...he really came out spectacular guys, I can't say enough about the details and the paint job...

Ok, I'm gonna shut up now and present what you guys have been waiting for...Thanks to my bro Havok for taking these great shots for me...And now I present you...The mighty and beautiful Carnotaurus!!

Picture1487.jpg

Picture1486.jpg

Picture1485.jpg

Picture1488.jpg

Picture1490.jpg

Picture1492.jpg

Picture1489.jpg

Picture1491.jpg

Re: Official Carnotaurus Maquette Picture Thread

Picture1501.jpg

Picture1502.jpg

Picture1503.jpg

Picture1504.jpg

Carnotaurus Skull Exclusive
Picture1505.jpg

Picture1506.jpg

Picture1507.jpg

Picture1508.jpg

Ok, finally got some time to unbox the beast and totally awed and impressed by the sculpt. Paint apps were spot on so my biggest concern was laid to rest. Some quick amateur shots in candescent lighting. Mine's no. 81.

IMG_13821.jpg

IMG_13751.jpg

IMG_13731.jpg

IMG_13741.jpg

IMG_13801.jpg

IMG_13781.jpg

IMG_13771.jpg

Close to scale with my Albertasaurus libratus by David Krentz

IMG_13811.jpg

Ok, so here we go!

Overall, amazing statue. Details on the sculpt are insane. Paint is great. From really close you can see imperfections (particularly with the blackwash and on the bottom of the dinosaur), but from a slight distance it looks amazing. Mouth could do with some retouching up though. Pose is extremely menacing. Size is great!! Not too big, and DEFINITELY not too small!

I got #90. Didn't take pics of the exclusive accessory, but you all know what it looks like. One thing I noticed - there is a small hole under one of the hands, and some white powder was coming out of it... Interesting...

Ok, on to pics - enjoy!

IMG_6220.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

IMG_6228.jpg

IMG_6230.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6237.jpg

IMG_6239.jpg

IMG_6241.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6249.jpg

BTW, I'd like to thank this thread, and in particular Scar for getting me into Dinosauria. I'm hooked and there is no going back now.

Alright, now to busniess... :rock

As to "tail-drop", being that the animal itself is elegantly counterbalanced on an organismal level, and even based on stance there appears to be just as much weight in the pelvic region extending backward as there is in the anterior portion, it's not a weighty concern of mine.

In terms of likeness to the prototype shown on the website, there are indeed differences, though none that I feel detract from the piece, and some which actually serve to enhance. The pinkish hue around the orbital sockets, a slightly deeper brown cresting the cranium, and more detailed paint apps on the teeth all round out traits on the prototype that set it apart from the production piece, and I'm sure some will argue elevate the prototype above the production model. For me, oddly enough those aren't as big of a deal, because they don't necessarily detract; meaning that the animal could just as plausibly have looked this way in life sans those differences in the paint. For example, the pinkish hue around the orbital - most avian raptors don't exhibit these characteristics until they are advanced in age; also, crocodilians and monitors have heavier scaling around the eyes so as to better protect against thrashing prey, rendering a redness around the eyes a nonexistent trait. In that regard, removing the pink shade is actually a more plausible feature for a Carnotaurus in its prime. As a counterexample, if they were to have that feature in the T.rex maquette, being that its an "elder statesman" piece, I wouldn't be upset as it would make sense based on sloping we see on occasion beneath the orbitals of geriatric raptors.

What makes it more pleasing is oddly a feature that I'm sure doesn't mean much to a great deal of individuals, but certainly makes it stand out for me...

The claws on the feet.
The prototype had a rather uniform, deep brown, muddled copper tone, whereas the production piece has a tapering pallid coloration beginning distally and proceeding backward toward the phalange where the claw darkens. It's a color scheme extremely common in birds of prey, and therein we have our first reference to an extant predator in the piece. From there, grounding the piece in a conspicuous similarity to birds of prey, we can go to yet another feature evocative of C.sastrei's resemblance to its modern relatives...

The pose.
The dynamism, the way it is striding forward with its head ducking low. Granted, the story behind the piece demonstrates the Carnotaurus intends to dispatch a small prey animal, but it could just as easily be defending its territory or a kill. There's a lot of ambiguity intentionally left in the piece so that one's mind can simply be left to wander when gazing upon it. Immediately, after setting the piece upon my shelf, my mind was thrown back to footage I once saw of a Bald eagle defending a salmon carcass against an Arctic fox - bounding across the fish, wings spread wide, and ducking its head in a shrill cry of defiance. That is exactly what I get from this piece, and it's a great achievement in terms of realism. SS has a great accomplishment in that regard, making a plausible, immensely imposing carnivore.

The sheer, mind-blowing detail is positively staggering. Every bump, every protuberance, every fold in the skin, every broken scale... it's dumbfounding. Positively staggering when you sit and truly examine the piece. Some features of this maquette we have simply not been able to examine on close scrutiny with the online imagery. The maw extending to the back of the throat, glistening and beckoning to victims in a most ghoulish manner, seeming almost anaemic in the right lighting, though most certainly recalling the throats of crocodilians or monitors. Reference to extant carnivores #2. You really get a good feeling of the amalgamation for reference that went into this singular piece. The amount of thought and effort that coalesced is really quite impressive. The dorsal spines buckling and rolling into one another at the base of the neck as the cervical vertebrae compress... even though one of the less noticeable spines on my piece toward the tail was broken, I feel every single iota of detail will always draw my eye, and my awe, elsewhere.

Knowing what we know about Carnotaurus, you can imagine this Carnotaurus, skulking at the edges of a dried creek bed, eyeing its prey carefully from a distance, gauging its strengths and weaknesses. Suddenly and rapidly, it bounds forth from the foliage, quickly clearing the distance between its prey and itself. The dried earth crumbling with ease as it races forth, tossing dust into the air, much of which quickly mingles with the blood of the thrashing animal, materializing and plummeting unceremoniously back to the ground as wet, crimson mud. Though perhaps a forelimb of the unfortunate meal was tossed free in the savage melee, the Carnotaurus bows its mandible outward laterally so as to engulf the entire creature. The sutures in its lower jaw were designed with a dual purpose - to absorb the impacts from struggling prey, but also to allow for a meal to be devoured whole. Bloated and sated, the Carnotaurus can now slink back into the undergrowth and rest with a full belly. Its meal can digest as it rests in the fading sunlight, bathing the landscape perhaps in a vermillion glow which augments the carnage of the massacre having just unfolded moments ago.

Well, for now I suppose those are my collective thoughts. I began to record a video review, but I couldn't get the video camera to adequately focus on the details I thought essential. That and I find I end up sounding too much like David Attenborough for my taste. :lol If this is the way they start off the maquette line, I have ludicrously high hopes for what lies ahead. That being said, my only other major gripe was the packaging. It seemed, with two sections of tape wrapped around the Styrofoam rather than across the seam, somewhat haphazard. I was immediately concerned that the maquette would be revealed damaged moments later. My fears were allayed, but still it was disconcerting.

I thought I would take the chance and collect the Dinosauria collection from SS.

First one: Carnotaurus, Exclusive Edition.

I have to say, I am glad I have started collecting this line. The Exc with the skull is a nice touch.

The detail is way more than I thought there would be.

The only thing that I could possibly wanted more is for them to be a big bigger.

Other than that, I am hooked. I have decided I will collect this line.

Here are my pics.

Carnotaurus Dinosauria Review + Photos

Review and photos by Dan Liebman of DansDinosaurs.com
[ Mods, feel free to relocate to review forum. ]

Having released their premier piece in the form of the “Tyrannosaurus vs. Triceratops” diorama, Sideshow continues to build on their new Dinosauria product line with this second statue. Choosing the Carnotaurus as a subject matter seems a bit of a surprise, although the species did achieve some level of popular recognition after appearing in Disney’s “Dinosaur” in 2000. Although we know a great deal about the animal’s appearance, the Carnotaurus remains something of a freak among theropod dinosaurs. It possessed a relatively long neck, thin jaw, smallish head, tiny forearms, and forward-facing eyes. The distinctive brow horns are what give the creature its name, which means “flesh-eating bull”.

4carn.jpg

Interestingly, Sideshow has eschewed the potentially pretentious characteristics of a diorama piece. Instead, the Carnotaurus appears by itself, in what the company refers to as a “maquette” statue. Logistically, this is still a very similar piece. The polystone figure has a sturdy metal peg sticking out the bottom of one foot. This is carefully maneuvered into a hole in the base, which provides all the stability necessary to display a deceptively precarious-looking statue.

5carn.jpg

This durable design allows the dynamic qualities of the scene to become instantly apparent. The Carnotaurus is posed in a full run, charging forward with jaws agape, powerful legs and massive feet propelling it across a parched, cracked landscape. Sharp-eyed observers will notice a smaller three-toed trackway moving concurrently with the Carnotaur; whether these prints could be from a prey animal remains open to interpretation. A single stray log decorates the earthen base; it is otherwise a monochromatic foundation that keeps the eye appropriately focused on the action at hand.

3carn.jpg

Naturally, the head of the beast becomes the main focal point, and the artists know this. As such, it is detailed lavishly in knobby osteoderms, bony scutes, and a startling arrangement of genuinely sharp teeth. Both the tongue and the roof of the mouth glisten realistically, while the eyes convey the intangible terror of an ancient predator; something that is not especially intelligent, but doesn’t really need to be.

2carn.jpg

The notoriously tiny arms of the Carnotaurus point directly toward its posterior. It is hard to say if this animal could comfortably hold its arms in such a position, but given the intensity of the scene, it is likely this aspect was intended to convey the animal’s sudden acceleration. The feet appear appropriately avian, from their leathery texture right down to the dewclaws. While Sideshow’s premier Dinosauria statue seemed to possess a relatively smooth appearance in the feet of the animals, this Carnotaurus is lacking no such detail. Even the toes and ventral surfaces of the animal demonstrate excellent texturing. The toe claws have a slight sheen, impressively simulating the horny sheath that would have formed over the claws in life.

1carn.jpg

The Carnotaurus sastrei is also one of the few dinosaurs for which fossilized impressions of skin have been discovered. This pebbly surface is visible in many areas of the Carnotaurus maquette, suggesting the artistic team (which included Steve Riojas) has indeed done their homework. The predominantly sandy hue of the animal is complemented by brown patterns across the dorsal surfaces, imitating the “break up” of color that is often seen in ambush predators. One of the more subtle elements of the creature’s palette includes a set of cool colors. Dark blues run down the feet, while the flanks are deeply tinged in green. This further accentuates the primeval characteristics of the Carnotaurus, a massive predator of reptilian lineage that is both believable and beautiful to gaze upon.

6carn.jpg

Time will tell just how long this reconstruction of the Carnotaurus is considered scientifically accurate. For the time being, there isn’t very much to complain about. It’s the most affordable (and possibly the most impressive) Dinosauria piece Sideshow has to offer so far, and its epic scale lends a total length of 18 inches. Elegant and exciting, this statue will appeal to any serious dinosaur collector willing to shell out the coin for it. From stubby head to spiny tail, this statue is like seeing the Carnotaurus for the very first time.

Back