2009 summer movie season, in reflection: thank goodness for the smaller films

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2008 vs. 2009 summer movies

• Summer 2009 overall had better movies

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Summer 2008 overal had better movies

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • They average out equally

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I don't like voting. I find the act of it offensive to my principles.

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
The summer movie season is winding down, with only a few big title films to go (Inglorious Basterds for one). Reflecting upon the films I've seen this summer and reading of the rest that I deemed unworthy of my money, I've decided that this summer severely lacked the sterling quality in high-budget blockbuster flicks that 2008 seemingly had in spades. But the smaller, low budget (relatively) gems shone brightly. That's my opinion.

So, your opinion. 2009 summer movies, thumbs up? Thumbs down? Better than 2008? Worse?

Your favorite? Your least?

Meh. I did love TF, Star Trek, and Drag Me To Hell....

And District 9 ruled the year. It was amazing.

I've seen at least 6 movies that I've really liked this summer and that's pretty good for me. There were quite a few so-so movies too. I think it's balanced out.

Actually I really liked Transformers and Terminator but I found myself drawn to the movies last summer more. This summer seemed to have a lot of "I'll pass" or "I'll see it eventually" kind of films. I do want to see District 9 though.

What this summer really lacked were really good superhero films. Last year, there was Iron Man, Hulk, The Dark Knight, among others. This year, there was Xmen Origins Wolverine. Severely lacking.

2008 had far better films.

This year has sucked for movies. Me and my wife were trying to come up with the best movies so far and all I could think of is MOON. The rest have been meh.

I think 2008 was better than 2009, if we are talking Blockbusters.
I think the definition of a blockbuster is a film that's expected to be highly successful.
If that's the case then 2009 has been a bit disappointing
I would say the best was Star Trek. The Worst was Transformers ROTF.

District 9 save this years Summer line-up if you ask me.

2008 had far better films.

This year has sucked for movies. Me and my wife were trying to come up with the best movies so far and all I could think of is MOON. The rest have been meh.

Yes, Moon was fantastic. Rockwell is awesome and I can't wait to see him in 'Gentlemen Bronco' The indie Sci-Fi Flicks sure kicked ass this year compare to the super big budget ones.

2008 comic book movies were getting on track with Dark Knight, Iron Man and Incredible Hulk. This year saw Wolverine....so 2008 wins. This year wasn't without good movies though, Star Trek, District 9, Up and The Hangover were fantastic. I think for me, 2008 had more movies I was looking forward to meet or beat my expectations where this year I walked out of many movies in a bad mood (Wolverine, Transformers 2, Terminator)

I voted 2009...cuz I felt it had more variety of films...for example I loved Star Trek (best movie of the year so far)...and Up was badass...District 9 was incredible...etc....

The only think I can remember from 2008 is The Dark Knight and Ironman....and all tho TDK takes the cake from all of the summer 2009 movies combined...i still think that I had more fun this year than last year.!

I've only seen three: Star Trek, Angels and Demons, and Up.

I loved Trek. Didn't like the other two.

The one movie that really disappointed me this summer was Terminator Salvation. I really hoped that would be good. A lot of stinkers this summer, actually.

Hopefully 2010 be turn out better.

A summer with Iron Man and The Dark Knight can make up for a lot of lesser films. But Star Trek and Up were darned good. The Hurt Locker is really a fall film, but probably one of the best of the summer.

I meant to vote 2008, but I accidentally voted 2009. And the simple reason that I preferred 2008 is because I have had very limited time to see movies this summer. In fact, Up, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and I Love You Man are the only three I saw this simmer. They were all great movies, and I am sure that Transformers, G.I. Joe, Harry Potter, Star Trek, and Drag Me To Hell would have been great as well...but I just didn't feel the sense of urgency to see ANY film this summer like I did last year with Iron Man and one or two others.

I went to the movies more last year because I was more excited about the 08 lineup. I was satisfied with the 09 movies I went to this year. IMO 09 simply didn't stir the spark like 08.

Star Trek was the only good movie I saw until District 9. Alright, UP was nice too, but I almost put that in a different sort of category.

Yes my friends, it was a crappy summer for film.

My biggest disappointment was Transformers 2, which if nothing else, should've been at least as fun as the first. I really don't know what happened there.

Terminator:S. Stop, McG. Just stop.

G.I. Joe was as terrible and cheesy as expected. But at least it was more fun than T:S.

Back