PDA

View Full Version : Why no internal art boxes for some pieces?

Shai
08-16-2009, 07:56 PM
....:google

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv135/samueljd73/BlackbeardBox.jpg

http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_pfzaius_2.jpg

EVILFACE
08-16-2009, 07:58 PM
The Dr Zaius design looks pretty good.

Shai
08-16-2009, 08:00 PM
"I'm a fan of all of Sideshow's packaging. Our package designs are one of the many things that sets our products apart from the rest.''

:duh:duh:duh

Batty
08-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Like I said in another thread, if it isn't Marvel or SW, I think this is the packaging we'll be seeing for smaller licenses. I'm sure Disney will have full art boxes too.

It is sad to see the shiny exclusive sticker stuck on those cardboard boxes. :lol

Natrix
08-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Not a first..you missed this one!

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2396/p1030315g.jpg

Balsquat
08-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Man that sux... These better be going down in price if your not getting the full color art boxs anymore.

UTtoyfan
08-16-2009, 08:53 PM
At least King Leonidas came in a nice full color box. Whew!

Kabukiman
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Was Chucky the first one like this?

Darklord Dave
08-16-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm sure it's just a budget thing. This is a way to cut down some costs on pieces that have smaller production runs.

kinqcuonq
08-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Look on the brighter side, our box collection will downsize.

The Mike
08-16-2009, 10:00 PM
If I could get better paint apps and QC I wouldn't give two ^^^^s if they shipped it to me in a garbage bag.

Deckard
08-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Look on the brighter side, our box collection will downsize.

PFs are pretty delicate. I only own one, but even if I had 20 I wouldn't throw the boxes for them away, what if you had to move or something, I wouldn't wanna just try to bubble wrap it and hope it all works out.

nash
08-16-2009, 10:43 PM
If I could get better paint apps and QC I wouldn't give two ^^^^s if they shipped it to me in a garbage bag.

Well it seems they did ship pitu's Mark I comiquette in a garbage bag and look what happened to that! :lol

Bannister
08-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Well it seems they did ship pitu's Mark I comiquette in a garbage bag and look what happened to that! :lol

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Skiman
08-17-2009, 08:30 AM

What happened to it, do you have a link?

Bannister
08-17-2009, 08:33 AM
What happened to it, do you have a link?

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62063

Bannister
08-17-2009, 08:38 AM
http://projectpitu.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/411-on-fixing-broken-polystone-statues/

Skiman
08-17-2009, 08:46 AM

http://projectpitu.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/411-on-fixing-broken-polystone-statues/

Thanks Banny, this should be entertaining here at work until MOTUC go up for order :rock

Darth Snoopy
08-17-2009, 09:42 AM
As long as I get my statue in one piece I don't really care about the packaging.

The packaging just ends up in the closet for storage anyway.

Batty
08-17-2009, 09:47 AM

I can't sit through P!tu's long-ass videos. :mad:

Lord Aykroyd
08-17-2009, 09:49 AM

:lecture :banana

Balsquat
08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Its a bit of a shame as I love reading the art boxes before I open them up.
Its sort of a favorite ritual of mine...

Bullseye
08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
As long as it helps keep prices down I don't mind.

Skiman
08-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Prices...

Statues $UP boxes $DOWN

quadcent
08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
As long as it helps keep prices down I don't mind.

i'll believe that when i see it.

just improve the QC sideshow, and make sure the packaging isn't the reason the items don't arrive damaged.

ie: hulk vs spidey, IM lsb and many more i'm sure.

ozzfan84
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
/\ Don't forget PZ and the wristband paint rubs.

The Ween
08-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I don't want my Legolas shipped in a crappy box like that! All the other LotR PFs had art boxes. Hopefully it's like Dave said and it's only the smaller run stuff.

Reefer Shark
08-17-2009, 09:04 PM
I could care less about the inner color box, as long as the statue arrives intact.

I definitely would do away with the graphcs on the shipping box though.. I have to have my stuff sent to work, and really don't need everyone there seeing a picture of what I'm buying.

:lol I already get enough grief from the folks who notice the text on the current boxes :lol

Batman29
08-17-2009, 11:15 PM
It is sad to see the shiny exclusive sticker stuck on those cardboard boxes. :lol

Batty, you read my mind!

I'm sure it's just a budget thing. This is a way to cut down some costs on pieces that have smaller production runs.

I talked to one of the reps for replacements from SS today about this. She said that sometimes it is a licensing issue, and that as part of the issue with the smaller runs, SS has no choice in whether the color box comes with it.

Its a bit of a shame as I love reading the art boxes before I open them up.
Its sort of a favorite ritual of mine...

I know what you mean! Is this a Canadian thing or collector thing?

I definitely would do away with the graphcs on the shipping box though.. I have to have my stuff sent to work, and really don't need everyone there seeing a picture of what I'm buying.

:lol I already get enough grief from the folks who notice the text on the current boxes :lol

Tell me about it. At my work place the word is I collect dolls. And to boot, the receptionist looked at me one day and said that if she new me in high school and I collected these statues, I would be the type of kid she would beat up!:gun

Shai
08-19-2009, 12:08 AM
I talked to one of the reps for replacements from SS today about this. She said that sometimes it is a licensing issue, and that as part of the issue with the smaller runs, SS has no choice in whether the color box comes with it.

Yeah, but the Black beard PF has no license holder...:mad:

Tell me about it. At my work place the word is I collect dolls. And to boot, the receptionist looked at me one day and said that if she new me in high school and I collected these statues, I would be the type of kid she would beat up!:gun

:lol:lol:lol

TOE
08-19-2009, 12:10 AM
didn't they do this with the 1:1 Maul Bust?

thenammagazine
08-19-2009, 12:14 AM
:duh:duh:duh

Well what did you expect from him? :lol

RabagaZt
08-19-2009, 08:58 AM
I use the box inside as a display-stand for most of my statues at the moment, please dont stop making those :p

F0RSAK3N
08-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Well tell her some people like that kind of stuff, and wink. ;)

Ktjn
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
i'll believe that when i see it.

just improve the QC sideshow, and make sure the packaging isn't the reason the items don't arrive damaged.

ie: hulk vs spidey, IM lsb and many more i'm sure.

Less boxing, means possible more damage. Wait till the guy shipping or the guy handling your box sees the nice golden sticker with the nice art on the cardboard box.

Is SS cutting back? Is that confirmed?

ozzfan84
08-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Is SS cutting back? Is that confirmed?

No. They just couldn't get the licensor of the Blackbeard PF to agree to an inner box.

:rotfl

thenammagazine
08-20-2009, 08:53 PM
No. They just couldn't get the licensor of the Blackbeard PF to agree to an inner box.

:rotfl

:confused: it's a Sideshow Original aka their own license.

LOTRFan
08-23-2009, 05:02 PM
didn't they do this with the 1:1 Maul Bust?

Yes and no, Maul has an internal art box, but the shipping box does have graphics on it -- offsetting for me, even in a nice neighborhood I don't completely trust my neighbors! :lol

Shai
08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Still no official answers ????

occulum
08-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I think something was posted somewhere .... maybe in the Blackbeard thread? ... I know I saw a post somewhere.....

Sundeep
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM

And now she's a receptionist. :monkey5

Oat Willy
08-31-2009, 05:19 PM
i don't display everything i own all at the same time. pieces get rotated and go in and out of their boxes. i receive a sideshow piece w/no inner box and guess what sideshow, it's coming right back to you for a refund! :mad:

bearmodel
08-31-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, let's get something straight here.....

I read many threads saying that as long the statue is intact, who cares about the box? The fact is that most of us care about having a nice looking box that gives extra protection to the piece. We spend hundreds of dollars on these statues and we would like it to arrive as safely as possible, in a box that has great art on it and most of the time tells a story about the piece. That is what the Graphic Design Department is for....

It is just great to know that Sideshow spend a good amount of time making the packing looking great. After all, they are high end collectibles, are they not? These new boxes seem to show that SS don't care as much anymore and just want to cut costs, despite getting more and more well known every year and having contracts with very big companies like Legacy Studios and Disney. So, the bigger you become, the impression you give is that you don't care as much for your costumers???

I want a nice box because i want to feel like my piece is worth it. I want to open it up and see that they spent time packing that carefully. I want to ready the box art and show it off. That's one of the reasons I spend thousands of dollars in these collectibles. Yeah, the boxes will go in the garage while I display the pieces in my living room, but that is not the point.

The point is that I want the company that I spend a lot of money on shows quality not only on the piece, but also on the packing, photos, description and shipping.

Maybe I'm overreacting a little and Sideshow only made these boxes this time for reasons that I'm not aware of. If that's the case, I hope to see a lot of the great normal boxes in the future. I just think that it was a bad judgment call to do that on a highly expected 400 dollar piece.

Anyway, I hope someone from SS will answer our questions because so far I haven't heard anything and I think that has also to be issued but.....That is a topic for another thread....

Cheers :duff

Bear

Wanderer
08-31-2009, 11:24 PM
I hate to bring up another Hot Toys vs Sideshow argument but their box art pushes the boundaries with each release and this goes with their crappy licences too. There shouldn't be any reason for half arsed packaging in this day and age.

Mesa
08-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Well, let's get something straight here.....

I read many threads saying that as long the statue is intact, who cares about the box? The fact is that most of us care about having a nice looking box that gives extra protection to the piece. We spend hundreds of dollars on these statues and we would like it to arrive as safely as possible, in a box that has great art on it and most of the time tells a story about the piece. That is what the Graphic Design Department is for....

It is just great to know that Sideshow spend a good amount of time making the packing looking great. After all, they are high end collectibles, are they not? These new boxes seem to show that SS don't care as much anymore and just want to cut costs, despite getting more and more well known every year and having contracts with very big companies like Legacy Studios and Disney. So, the bigger you become, the impression you give is that you don't care as much for your costumers???

I want a nice box because i want to feel like my piece is worth it. I want to open it up and see that they spent time packing that carefully. I want to ready the box art and show it off. That's one of the reasons I spend thousands of dollars in these collectibles. Yeah, the boxes will go in the garage while I display the pieces in my living room, but that is not the point.

The point is that I want the company that I spend a lot of money on shows quality not only on the piece, but also on the packing, photos, description and shipping.

Maybe I'm overreacting a little and Sideshow only made these boxes this time for reasons that I'm not aware of. If that's the case, I hope to see a lot of the great normal boxes in the future. I just think that it was a bad judgment call to do that on a highly expected 400 dollar piece.

Anyway, I hope someone from SS will answer our questions because so far I haven't heard anything and I think that has also to be issued but.....That is a topic for another thread....

Cheers :duff

Bear

I'd agree with that. Spending $200-$400+ on a statue and asking for a nice graphically designed box isn't asking too much.

And if SS is listening, please stop using that cheap white styrofoam that break apart and gets all over and my dogs eat off the floor, and then there are white specks in their... Well, nevermind. Just enough with the cheaper packing material.

Crossbonez74
08-31-2009, 11:53 PM
To me the box is part of the total package...pun intended. Not too mention its nice have the outer box to hide whats being delivered. Does the whole world need to know you ordered a black queen comiquette or something equally erotic?

bearmodel
09-01-2009, 06:46 AM
I hate to bring up another Hot Toys vs Sideshow argument but their box art pushes the boundaries with each release and this goes with their crappy licences too. There shouldn't be any reason for half arsed packaging in this day and age.

Great point Wanderer. Hot Toys boxes really look amazing. I mean we are paying
almost $200 bucks for a figure.... Have a nice display box is not asking much, it is just part of getting an expensive collectible

I'd agree with that. Spending $200-$400+ on a statue and asking for a nice graphically designed box isn't asking too much.

And if SS is listening, please stop using that cheap white Styrofoam that break apart and gets all over and my dogs eat off the floor, and then there are white specks in their... Well, nevermind. Just enough with the cheaper packing material.

Good you brought this up. I forgot about the Styrofoam inside. That kind of Styrofoam breaks more easily and I would be pissed if it ends up breaking and I don't have a packing to move my collectible.

And Crossbonez, you got it right. I get that delivered at work most the time and I do not want people to know what I'm getting. It is common sense to have a bit of privacy when spending that much money.

Let's give the high end collectible a proper box and let's keep the shipping box what it is... just a shipping cardboard box...

Cheers

Bear

Shropt
09-01-2009, 06:48 AM
http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_pfzaius_2.jpg

I like the POTA PF box art. Reminds me of this original movie poster.

http://img2.allposters.com/images/MG/144156.jpg

Darth Madden
09-01-2009, 06:52 AM
My Blackbeard arrived in perfect condition so at least this change didn't matter to me. It is nice to have the cool color boxes but I just toss most of them anyway so whatever they change as long as the figs don't get damaged its fine with me.

Shai
09-04-2009, 05:49 AM
please Sideshow answer this.

King Darkness
09-04-2009, 05:59 AM
What I dont like about is it to clearly advertises whats in the box. If you are gonna go cheapo on the box art fine, but atleast provide an outer shipper box :duh

Webb
09-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Well just raise the price another 3 bucks,probably that's all those boxes cost anyway.

Crossbonez74
09-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Sideshow is cutting corners by making the PF's out of cheaper material and smaller and not using the 4 color boxes...not cool at all man

galactiboy
09-10-2009, 09:23 AM
What I dont like about is it to clearly advertises whats in the box. If you are gonna go cheapo on the box art fine, but atleast provide an outer shipper box :duh

I think that is an important point... the outer shipping boxes afforded privacy and did add an extra layer of protection.

Not to mention using the non-glossy boxes do just look cheap.