Dinosauria: Tyrannosaurus vs. Triceratops Review + Photos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Re: Sideshow Dinosauria: T-Rex vs. Triceratops Diorama Picture Thread

Well, the day finally arrived, and despite all of my scrutiny and lofty expectations, I was not disappointed. Not by a long shot. #41/200, and I don't think the quality could likely be any less regardless of the number you receive. The low ES really seems to have influenced the desire of the SS artisans to make this a signature piece behind which they can proudly stand. I'll be posting pics tomorrow, weather permitting, so that I can use natural lighting, because the flash really seems to wash out the spectacular detail... and on that note, the detail... my God. I could not be more pleased.

SS not only heard the caterwauling over the JP dio production paint job, but they bent over backwards several times over to correct that error with their flagship Dinosauria dio. The gradation in coloration and mottling in the T.rex is an extremely plausible paintjob for a carnivore. You can imagine this Tyrannosaur standing in the shade of low conifers, terrifyingly still for hours, waiting for its prey to show the slightest sign of weakness or wander too close. The Triceratops has a very compelling color choice. As LOTRFan said, it's much less pink in the final piece than SS's website would have you believe, and more of a deep, almost sanguinary red; simply put, this is the color of an animal that isn't looking to hide. This bull Triceratops is large and powerful enough that very few animals in its environment can threaten it. Considering that, T.rex, while few in number, was built to dismantle Triceratops, a point which the diorama elegantly encapsulates.

Here's a point which I legitimately don't think you can get across in the pictures - the wounds on these animals are INCREDIBLY meticulous. Not only are there deep holes punched into the T.horridus' hide from the T.rex's teeth, but the way the wounds appear truly gets across a rough exterior of the Triceratops' flesh, not unlike an extant Rhinoceros. The wound raked across the top of the Triceratops' right backside evokes the feeling that it's no regular hide that the T.rex is penetrating, but rather an armor. If you've ever had an extremely hardened callous that's been forcibly torn open, that's one of the first images that comes to mind when looking at the Trike here. The skin has been broken through, and the Tyrannosaur's teeth have deeply infiltrated the flesh beneath, severing muscle, driving into bone, and leaving behind copious amounts of bacteria that will bring on sepsis in the coming days (if the Triceratops survives this battle, that is). The wound the Triceratops is inflicting upon the T.rex is equally compelling, thrusting clear through the abdomen, it is most definitely a lethal blow. I will say that the teeth on my T.rex don't appear nearly as much of a rich shade of red as that on LOTRFan's dio, but they are tinted, with blood festooning the jaws of the mighty predator.

The impression I get from this piece in person is humbling. Having it in hand and being able to appreciate all of the fine details, I come away from it with an appreciation of the sheer power of both of these titans, but also a degree of sorrow. Both are true marvels of nature, and neither will survive this encounter. The most famous duel in perhaps all of the natural world is depicted in the diorama with an outcome in which there is no winner, only two creatures later to be immured in the earth and immortalized in the imagination and boundless fascination of mankind. Dinosauria, frankly, is off to one hell of a start. :rock :rock :rock

Even the look on the T.rex's face captivates. It's a coalescence of fury and anguish. The team over at SS seems really to have done their homework concerning trauma. The way in which the flesh parts around the horn in the T.rex's underbelly, and the blood gushing down the Trike's pelvis from the gaping wound inflicted in its tail, along with all the other injuries mentioned above provide more than enough to soak in right there. Excellent changes in skin texture, and I truly adore the pose. It's a most spectacular piece, and I sincerely believe it is a statue that you need to see in person... and that I'll post more as it comes to me. I have to turn in early for a staff meeting at work tomorrow, but hopefully I can have pictures on here in good time.

Here are some shots that I took quickly outside in an effort to try to get the best possible lighting.
IMG_0810.jpg

This shot would have been better had the T.rex not come out blurry, but the autofocus grabbed the Trike. It still helps you get an idea of the detail in the texturization.
IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Even this washed out a good bit of the natural dentition shade since the camera focused on the skull rather than the teeth, but it gives you some idea.
IMG_0817.jpg

Here's the T.rex from another angle. I think this shot turned out extremely well.
IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Me and JC got our Dio in the other day and we're totally impressed by it. We originally had the Exclusive on order but canceled cause we were concerned how the paint apps were going to turn out. After seeing your guys pics we were convinced, this thing is a work of art. It's probably the most detailed statue that I've seen and I think SS has a real seller on their hands here, as long as they can keep the paint apps up to this standard. Anyway here's some pics that I just took and if there's anyone else out there still not sure.......If you like Dinosaurs you have to jump into this line. I think it'll be hard to be a completist cause there's so many Dinos that SS can do, but this piece at least I think is an iconic one in the Dino world. OKay here's the pics.........

Picture1414.jpg

Picture1415.jpg

Picture1416.jpg

Picture1417.jpg

Picture1418.jpg

Picture1419.jpg

Well first of all I wanna thank my bro (Havok) for the great pics of this piece...

So at first I this on pre-order, but canceled due to funds and as I wanted to see in hand pics from other ppl but after having the funds after all and seeing the in hand pics (especially Scar's) I had to order it and boy was I not disappointed..

First off Im impressed with the size, It's honestly bigger than I thought it was gonna be, so which is great to me, but not for my shelf space :lol..

The details of this piece just blew me away, I can't believe the details SS was able to produce with this, especially with the skins of both animals, and the paint apps came out better than I expected...

So this is just a great first piece from SS, and I find myself now more than ever wanting to complete this line...I know I'm not gonna have the room or shelf space, but I don't care, even if I have to rotate them, as much as I'm getting into Dinosauria, learning more about these wonderful extinct animals and based on this first piece, I plan on getting every piece as long as I have the funds...Great start to the Dinosauria line SS!

For those who may have missed it, here is my review for the Tyrannosaurus vs. Triceratops Dinosauria diorama by Sideshow, along with a few photos.

-----------------

Tyrannnosaurus vs. Triceratops Diorama by Sideshow Collectibles

Sideshow Collectibles, having released a very popular piece based on their newly acquired Jurassic Park license, has discovered something: Dinosaurs rock. Sure, they make interesting subject matter in art, but if there’s one thing that consistently performs well in sales, it’s dinosaurs. New movies and shows might enhance public interest from time to time, but I believe this is merely a reflection of the public’s ongoing and eternal fascination with dinosauria. To that end, Sideshow gathered up some of the finest paleoartists in the world to develop statues for their latest product line, Dinosauria.

280600818_o.jpg

Their first release is a show-stopping “diorama” statue, constructed of polystone and measuring a full foot in height. Like many products from Sideshow, this statue depicts an intense action scene, a moment frozen in time, much like the fossilized animals themselves. The classic battle between Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops is portrayed with such ferocious intensity, it is unlike any other reconstruction I have seen.

280916685_o.jpg

The slick outer packaging on the box for this diorama offers not only some detailed photographs, but an exciting backstory to explain the events leading up to the scene depicted. Apparently, the Triceratops is a grizzled bull that has been ambushed by a juvenile Tyrannosaurus. It becomes badly injured in the ensuing struggle, and this is plainly visible by the gaping wounds on the bull. A massive chunk of flesh appears to have been ripped straight out of its tail, just the sort of wound one would expect to be inflicted from the specialized jaws of a Tyrannosaur. Deep lacerations run down its flank, possibly resulting from a fearsome kick or two from the theropod. Additionally, there are rows of deep puncture wounds along its back, indicating a fresh bite from the Rex’s famous jaws. These wounds not only add life and character to the diorama, they awaken the imagination to the possible scenes that played out just before this moment. Sideshow has promised lots of unique character to be injected into each statue, and the older scars running across the Rex’s face seem to highlight the history of this animal. He led a colorful life before this moment, while his fate now seems uncertain.

280916467_o.jpg

At first glance, the carnivore appears to be unscathed. Rotating the diorama toward the anterior end of the animals reveals a much different story. The Triceratops, apparently using a time-tested tactic in predator defense, shifts its weight and drives one of its facial lances straight into the belly of its attacker. This crucial injury is captured in such raw and unapologetic detail, it is almost difficult to study for long periods of time. The skin is visibly ripped and torn, letting loose hot blood from the exposed tissue beneath. The product description suggests that this is a mortal blow, and if the Rex has indeed ruptured vital organs from this wound, his position in this diorama instantly becomes more sympathetic.

280917049_o.jpg

The gaping jaws of the Tyrannosaurus sub-adult, presently stained with the blood of his prey, suggest he is roaring in some combination of unrestrained rage and incomprehensible agony. Rotating the statue further reveals that the both of the predator’s feet are in the air, his body pressed painfully against the weaponized skull of the ceratopsian. This carnivore has not merely been impaled, but battered. His body lingers briefly in midair before completing what will no doubt be a grievous fall to the earth, from which he may never stand again. The full weight of the Triceratops has been slammed right into the Tyrannosaur, likely crushing ribs and lungs during the course of this monstrously blunt trauma to his flank. There is no cautious aggression to be found between them; this is a life and death struggle between predator and prey, and the prey has no qualm about killing the predator in order to survive. The full fury of the animal has been unleashed on the careless Rex, and the result is nothing short of explosive. For such a massive predator to have been gored and shoved so violently is a true testament to the often understated power of the Triceratops.

280916569_o.jpg

Despite the fearsome jaws and magma-colored eyes, this Rex has tremendous pathos in the diorama. Having let his instinctual rage get the better of him, he has become overly aggressive in pursuit of this veteran Triceratops, and will likely pay for the mistake with his life. The base of the statue shows densely layered rocks centered around the herbivore’s footing, suggesting the earth is literally crumbling in the wake of this epic struggle. Both animals appear likely to lose their footing, but when the dust settles, it seems inevitable that the bipedal attacker will have more difficulty recovering than the stout four-footed defender. If he stumbles and lands on the ground, he could be helpless to defend against a second, lethal charge from the Triceratops or a brutal trampling of his body. This is clearly not his day, and quite possibly his last.

280600679_o.jpg

Despite their scale, the animals are very intricately detailed. Most of this detail appears to have been focused in certain areas of the bodies, namely the heads of the animals. This is not very noticeable when viewed from a distance, but the discrepancy between the amazing ceratopsian’s sheathed beak and the relatively bland foot is a bit disappointing, particularly when one considers the hefty price tag. Still, the paint is outstanding. The bottoms of the animals’ feet are appropriately grimy, and the fresh wounds glisten realistically. Even the teeth of the Triceratops are visible deep within the jaws, a detail most admirable given how few audiences would even think to look there. The posterior of the animals reveals their tails nearly intertwined in an eternal embrace, a charming yet subtle artistic touch as the two characters complete their dance of death.

The bodies themselves are powerfully muscled and adorned with rows of scutes, just as one would expect a living dinosaur to look. The Tyrannosaurus is very naturally colored in deep amber, rich bronze and dark browns. This looks to be an outstanding camouflage for an ambush predator, lurking in the shadows of a Cretaceous forest until the perfect moment to strike reveals itself. The Triceratops appears to be too large and well-armed to be concerned with camouflage. His massive body is mostly red with a pale ventral coloration, possibly due to his advanced age or an indicator of sexual maturity. If the Rex’s colors are intended to say “I don’t exist, you don’t see me”, the crimson colored Triceratops seems to say “I bloody well do exist, and you don’t want me to prove it to you.” This overt display of tremendous strength and nearly boastful color serves to remind the audience that herbivores in the Cretaceous were not wimpy; in fact, they could be fearsome bullies.

280601961_o.jpg

The aforementioned discrepancy in detail across the bodies of the animals remains the only true complaint I can muster with regard to this piece. I feel it is appropriate to mention this because of the triple-digit price of the item, not because it detracts significantly from the sheer awe of the sculpture. It is certainly an impressive piece, and this ten pound statue should be given a secure location in any household where children are running about. Otherwise, I would say this is a beautiful collector’s item and striking centerpiece to any location – you could even use it as a table centerpiece for a unique conversation starter or spouse eradicator. Sideshow’s Tyrannosaurus vs. Triceratops diorama is sure to become a highlight of any collection. If this premier sculpture is any indicator of things to come from Sideshow’s Dinosauria line in the future, I believe we are all in for a real treat.

Review and pictures by Dan Liebman of Dan's Dinosaurs

---------------------

Note to Mods: I was told this could be posted here and then relocated to the review forum, which should be a better place for it. Thanks.

Last edited:
I thought you already posted this in another topic concerning Dinosauria? I remember responding to it at length. Well-rounded, though.

I did, yes. But as I said, Darklord Dave told me to make a thread for it so it could relocated to the review section.

But it remains already in the other post, yes? Was just wondering why we had multiple postings. Though I'm sure it will garner more attention this way as a singular topic rather than placed in an obscure page on the Tyrannosaurus rex VS Triceratops dio topic already created. Sensible.

Back