Collectible DisaSter....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediFirefly

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I just had a huge collectible disaster.

First off as a little background info. I live at home with my parents. I started collecting Buffy and star wars action figures and from there moved onto gentle giant and sideshow. I have a lot of different stuff. I was getting all of Sideshow's 12 inch star wars figures up until a year ago or so.

Well my room is very small and not much is on display. Most of my stuff is opened and then put back in its box and then into its shipping box. I just rotate my displays as I get new stuff. The old stuff is of course kept with the hope of having my own place to display it all in. I have a pretty big closet where a lot of the stuff is kept. The closet was completely packed from floor to ceiling. Directly above my closet ceiling is are ac unit. Well something went horribly wrong with it. I came home from work today and my brother told me a bunch of boxes fell over in my room. It didn't seem bad at all. When I first saw it most of them were empty boxes and it wasn't a lot. They fell because the bottom box caved in some on the side. I didn't think much of it. An hour or so later I go in to clean it all up. I pick up the lopsided box and feel water on the bottom. Then I notice some comic book boxes behind it are soaked on the bottom. I start pulling stuff away and stacking it on the other side of the room. (There is also a lot of stuff piled outside my closet.) When I get to the inside of the closet everything is soaked. I am so pissed at this point. I am pulling tons of stuff out that is probably completely ruined. Now some of the stuff it may just be the box that is ruined but as a lot of you probably know if you ever go to sell anything if you don't have the box you are going to get a lot less for it. I also had a lot of mint in package Buffy figures that were literally falling out of there packages as I pulled them out. When I finally get almost everything out of the closet we find there to be a huge crack in the ceiling which has now become a giant hole. As of now all of my stuff is piled all over the house. All of the wet stuff we piled in the kitchen because a lot of stuff was so wet that water was leaking out of the boxes.

We are not exactly sure what went wrong with the ac unit. It is still working but we don't know where all the water came from. My parents don't own the house we rent so the landlord will be taking care of this, hopefully. Now we have renters insurance and my mom was trying to look at the info to see if my stuff may be covered. Anybody have any ideas if this should be covered? The landlord also said he would speak to his insurance company about it. If it was covered how do they determine the value of something? I have lots of receipts for action figures and keep records of exactly what I paid for all of my sideshow stuff and other statues. Also if anyone has been in a situation like this does it matter if just the box is destroyed? Or will they only care if the actual item is ruined?

If anybody has any helpful info especially when it comes to insurance please let me know. Thanks.

Re: Collectible Disater....

Very sorry to hear of your troubles, that really sucks. I can imagine how angry I'd be if something like this were to happen. Hopefully insurance will cover most of it. Good luck.

Take everything out of their boxes and so they can dry out completely. Put the boxes out so they can also dry. Don't worry about the shippers because they don't matter.

I had this happened to a few of my figures on cards. I just laid them out to dry and they did just fine. Sometimes even the really wet stuff will be fine once dry. It's just laying them out properly.

So sorry this happened. I know the feeling. I had alot of things ruined when my basement flooded. Not collectibles, but still things I liked.

Check your insurance policy and see if you're covered for replacement costs or if things have to be depreciated. If it's depreciated, make sure they depreciated it from the highest cost you can find.

Last edited:

Take everything out of their boxes and so they can dry out completely. Put the boxes out so they can also dry. Don't worry about the shippers because they don't matter.

I had this happened to a few of my figures on cards. I just laid them out to dry and they did just fine. Sometimes even the really wet stuff will be fine once dry. It's just laying them out properly.

Well unfortunately a lot of my carded figures where at the top of the closet and got soaked. Most of the packages are completely trashed. Some of the packages and even some boxes literally feel apart when I took them out.

Also yeah I don't care about the shippers as much. It does suck to loose them but if the items and there boxes inside are fine that's all that really matters.

Also thanks to everyone for the sympathy.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/?tracker=4075" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>Well unfortunately a lot of my carded figures where at the top of the closet and got soaked. Most of the packages are completely trashed. Some of the packages and even some boxes literally feel apart when I took them out.

Also yeah I don't care about the shippers as much. It does suck to loose them but if the items and there boxes inside are fine that's all that really matters.

Also thanks to everyone for the sympathy.

That's just unfortunate and sad to know about it, we just have to feel that for you, I hope you can get back on track quickly, it seems like you're taking this ok and you seem a positive person.

Check your policy. You may find you are only covered for a certain amount. You may find the insurance company wont honour your claim, as your policy may state collections need to be insured under a separate policy. Good luck.

Oh man, that's just terrible. Sorry to hear about this man! I hope the insurance will cover your collection. Good Luck with it!

I'm so sorry to hear about this too man. :( Like others have said, hopefully the insurance will cover some if not all of it. I would literally cry if something disastrous happened to any of my collectibles. Best of luck to you dude.

Sorry to hear about this... I added a capital "S" to the title to amplify the Sadness...

Truly sorry to hear this. I worry about this as well.

It is very hard with collectible items. Normally insurance companies want an itemized list (at least mine did) and estimated cost replacement. A quote for coverage is made off of this.

Really sorry.

Renters insurance should cover your loss... I know when I was a renter I specifically asked to make sure my collection was included. I also keep a database of what I own and approximate values based on condition, recent selling price, etc.

I would suggest having all that together, or assembling one quickly so you can present it to your agent. On the downside, if you have fairly low coverage and a large collection you may be S.O.L. I bumped mine up considerably when I first got it based on my collection.

First off thanks for all the replies.

A question to anyone who may know. As of right now we are waiting on the landlord to call and hopefully come over. When my mom spoke to him last night he told her not to call our insurance company yet and that he was going to contact his to see if his insurance would cover anything. My question is though IF i can file a claim would somebody have to come out first and see the damage? If I go through the damaged stuff and start pulling stuff out of wet boxes and throwing the boxes away would this affect filing a claim. Or is it best if I leave stuff how it is? So they can see all the damage.

First off thanks for all the replies.

A question to anyone who may know. As of right now we are waiting on the landlord to call and hopefully come over. When my mom spoke to him last night he told her not to call our insurance company yet and that he was going to contact his to see if his insurance would cover anything. My question is though IF i can file a claim would somebody have to come out first and see the damage? If I go through the damaged stuff and start pulling stuff out of wet boxes and throwing the boxes away would this affect filing a claim. Or is it best if I leave stuff how it is? So they can see all the damage.

I would probably take pictures of stuff before taking it all out. I don't think you should leave it all in its place because I agree with Ween that you need to start taking that stuff out to dry.

I had a similar situation happen to me. I had 4 large moving boxes of my carded figures that got stored in a garage I knew to be leaky, against my wishes( I was working out of town). And sure enough, the boxes were stacked DIRECTLY under the largest of the leaks and we had an immense rainstorm.

Totally destroyed nearly every card including some Kenner/Hasbro Star Wars, ToyBiz LOTR, and Joyride HALO figures.

And I was not insured.

I feel for you and I hope you are covered.

And I am willing to bet that it was just a clog in the drain of the condensation collector and it overflowed.

Back