What about old school, vintage Tron?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel

Super Freak
Reaction score
Yes, I know we are getting Tron 2.0 ..but what about the Tron we grew up with?

(yeah, I'm a child of the 80's and perhaps older than many here)

I recall a light up 1/4 scale (I think) Tron piece that came out awhile back.
Proto pics were beautiful, but the production pieces that showed up were a nightmare ... :monkey1

I recall a light up 1/4 scale (I think) Tron piece that came out awhile back.
Proto pics were beautiful, but the production pieces that showed up were a nightmare ... :monkey1

That was a Disney Big Fig from the now defunct Disney Auctions site. There weren't any "proto pics", but the picture that was used for the auction was rather small and looked like it had been 'photoshopped' to make them look better and the light up effect appear brighter. In reality, many of the figures suffered from 4 main faults: 1) visible 'yellowish' glue globs around the joints, 2) poor paint apps, 3) non-working or dim LED bulbs (which couldn't be easily repaired as all pieces were glued together) and 4) figures arriving broken.

This item was claimed to be a limited edition of 150. As I recall, the first auction listing had only 100 units in a Dutch auction, all of which (I believe) were won for around the $150 starting bid. After people started getting them, the horror stories began (check the archives here and Statue Forum). I won 2 and one arrived broken and the other had horrible paint apps on the legs that let the LED light bleed through, ruining the circuit glow effect. I complained by phone & email, sent in pics and received 2 replacement figures, both better than the first 2, but nowhere near perfect. Some others reported having no luck getting Disney to replace their broken or poorly painted figs. Sometime around when these reports were coming in, Disney Auctions started at least one more Dutch auction for these figs, but I forget how many were listed. On all 4 of my boxes, numbering indicated there were actually 300 units produced.

Anyway, it was a brilliant idea but poorly executed, expecially considering the quality of other Big Figs Disney has produced at the same price. I am certain SSC could do better, but I'm guessing it'll be at least 2x the price. It'd be nice to have an accompanying Sark.

I'm all about some Tron!!!

I love my vintage TOMY figures and cycles. I really hope with Tron Legacy on the way, that this license gets the respect it deserves...

I'd be down for a PF or statue. The Tomy Tron toys were pretty weak, and although I love the Kubricks sets and Medicom's Real Action Heroes versions, we need something 1/6 scale or larger.

As it is, the only thing we have to look forward to is the Mickey as Tron vinyl figure coming out soon. Here's hoping the new movie rekindles interest in the line; while I'd love figures of the characters in the new movie, I really want figures and PFs based on the original.

There is a thread in the General Collectibles section about Hot Toys snagging the rights to the original Tron, so I hope we see both Flynn and Tron.

Maybe even a 1:6 scale lightcycle!

The original movie is one of my favorites, and I have the NECA reissues of the classic toys, as well as the Medicom Kubrick sets. Some of my favorite toys. My friend made me a custom "neon" Flynn's sign as well, but it has yet to find it's rightful place in our home. Just in my office now, but it is a flextube light sign made to look like a neon!

There is hope!!!

Electric Tiki is making a Tron statue in it's Classic Heroes series:

7271d1276531502-new-tron-classic-heroes-statue-tron-.jpg

7272d1276531502-new-tron-classic-heroes-statue-tron-b.jpg

Also Spin Masters announced this awesome exclusive for SDCC:

tron_2010_san_diego_comic-con_exclusive_figure_02.jpg

YIPPEE!!!! :hi5:

I love the light cycles that Medicom released a few years back. They were kind of like the vintage ones but came with new figures.

Back