Australian Customs Duty

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguru1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all, or to be more exact, G'day Mate, since I'm interested in hearing from any Aussies that have some experience in importing items (well, statues, etc) that are valued over $1000AUD.

I've never purchased anything of that value before, but I expect I will be soon. Hence I'd really like to know how ppl went about it, any tips or tricks, etc that can make it as easy and with luck as cheap as possible without breaking any laws.

Yeh, I had an Endoskull bought over from England which I paid just over $900aus for. I ended up paying a further $90 for customs fees. Doesn't mean that you will though.
Usually anything that's going to cost over a grand I try and get it here in Oz. Predalien maquette, 1/4 Speeder Bike and Terminator bust I bought from Melbourne.
It's just that when your paying more a thousand bucks from overseas you're stepping into nervous territory, unless you have insurance on the item you've bought.
I'm just about to purchase a Predator Maquette from Perth for about 2 grand, which isn't too bad considering they're almost going for that much in the U.S.
I've been waiting for over three years trying to track one down here in Oz, I figure it's just too risky to spend that much for an item overseas.
Good luck in your endeavour!

I've never bought anything from overseas for over $1000. It sounds like you already know what to expect. Here's an excerpt from the customs act.

"Imported goods with a value of more than A$1000

* Irrespective of how your imported goods arrive in Australia, you will be required to lodge a formal Customs import declaration if their value is above $1,000, and to pay the calculated duty and taxes.
* duty, where applicable, is based on the classification of the goods within the Customs Tariff Act 1995. Goods and Services Tax (GST) is also payable on most goods at a rate of 10%."

Looks to me for $2000 you could be up for around $325 in various duties. There's the value ($2000), + customs duties ($100), plus transport insurance postage (low estimate $150) = $2250, + GST of 10% ($225)

The customs duties + GST = $325. You will have already paid the value and shipping.

Getting the seller to undervalue the item will only result in tears, should the item be lost or damaged. Otherwise it's great.

I've never bought anything from overseas for over $1000. It sounds like you already know what to expect. Here's an excerpt from the customs act.

"Imported goods with a value of more than A$1000

* Irrespective of how your imported goods arrive in Australia, you will be required to lodge a formal Customs import declaration if their value is above $1,000, and to pay the calculated duty and taxes.
* duty, where applicable, is based on the classification of the goods within the Customs Tariff Act 1995. Goods and Services Tax (GST) is also payable on most goods at a rate of 10%."

Looks to me for $2000 you could be up for around $325 in various duties. There's the value ($2000), + customs duties ($100), plus transport insurance postage (low estimate $150) = $2250, + GST of 10% ($225)

The customs duties + GST = $325. You will have already paid the value and shipping.

Well, you learn something new everyday... The "habit" hasn't reached that scale, yet.

Although, when Dutch, IM Mk II & my Endoskull all arrived at once it topped that 1K mark. Guess I dodged that bullet?

Thanks all.
Yes, I have a good idea that I'm in for some pain, both money wise and from having a look at the Customs import declaration form.
Purchasing locally isn't an option I think, what I'm interested in is the QMx Serenity. I have doubts it will show up own here by other means and no way will I risk not having full insurance and hence would have to fully declare its value.

I guess what I'm really wondering is how the process all worked out. There are a lot of 'strange' questions on the form, nothing that one could really all sort out before hand.

So Cedric, when you had that Endoskull brought over, how did the extra $90 come about. Phone call from customs and had to go there to fill out form and pay. Or over the phone via CC or something else. Since I assume you didn't get the item or any of the paper work that came with it till paying the $90 customs duty.

Of course I don't know if its something that QMx themselves can or do help with or Sideshow for that matter. Hence wondering about all the details and how it played out with someone that went through it all.

Nice timing on this thread Guru ;) as i was pondering this question also and i knew it was that magnificent Serenity you were talking about.:cool:

So i presume in regards to customs fees it goes purely on the value of the item not taking into account the total invoice including postage?

There's the value ($2000), + customs duties ($100), plus transport insurance postage (low estimate $150) = $2250, + GST of 10% ($225)

So i presume in regards to customs fees it goes purely on the value of the item not taking into account the total invoice including postage?

From the example you'll see that they do indeed take into consideration the total invoice plus postage. They add all the values together and charge the GST on the lot.

Yeah, postage gets included as well tho technically your not paying customs duty on the postage, just the item, but then you get taxed (GST) on the customs duty as well, basically a tax on a tax.
Needless to say this is why I've avoided all this, but I know I can't with Serenity.

So, anyone gone through the whole process. Needless to say I will be asking a bunch of question with QMx and maybe SS once base price is announced, but would really like some first hand experience and background knowledge from thoses that have gone through it all.

Thanks guys thought as much.......and will have to read when not half asleep next time.:D

Yeah basically, if you go over the 1000 dollar limit, you have to 'legally' declare it. They will seize it at the airport and then you'll most likely have to pay a customs broker to do all the paperwork for it to get it out, plus pay the fee aswell, and GST ontop. It's pretty BS, like paying gst for gst. Also, if you don't, they will charge you weekly to keep it held. I had to pay a broker (lucky my dad knew one, otherwise would've been stuffed) on a 2300 dollar blower for my project car. The forms seem to be very very tricky to fill out and you really need to know your stuff, hence a broker is the only option imho. Complicated legal stuff

hmm, a broker, which then means I need to find one locally I guess. One gets a feeling its all made difficult on a purpose.

That's one of the things i took away from the experience. Pretty much on the right track there i would presume. All i know is, i've gone out of my way and above and beyond to make sure it hasn't (and hopefully won't) happen again. Big headache as far as i'm concerned. Just a massive PITA. If something is going to be over the 1000 and i can't get the seller to mark it down in value, i just purely don't get it

HI just reading threw this thread dont know what you are after but i have to down scale my collection and ihave a lot of marvel and movie statues from sideshow for sale but i dont like sending them throught post or courier so if you local or can drive to wollongong about an hour south of sydney let me know and i will tell u what i have .

Hi otto, I'm pretty taped out at the moment, so likely nothing that I'd really be able to get (still got Serenity coming and hence this customs duty stuff to sort out). Plus I'm in Adelaide, so still would have to be post or courier anyway, but others in Sydney may well be interested.

Back