Your Questions for Larry Hama!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
G.I. JOE fans, I am interviewing The Man for a feature on CTR very soon. Post any good questions for him you may have regarding any facet of JOE, his other work, or toys/comics in general...

(Yes, I already plan to pry from him what he really thinks about the Sommers movie).

I'd like to know exactly what Snake Eyes was supposed to say at the end of the movie (apparently he had a "cute" one-liner or something) that Hama told the filmmakers to drop because it would ruin the character. I've been curious ever since I heard that story.

So long as you're not afraid to really go in depth and really grill him about WTF happened with him and the movie, I think you'll cover pretty much anything I'd ask already.

Trust me, I don't blow smoke and I plan to go there. But whether or not he's diplomatic with his answers will be up to him.

That's cool IrishJedi, here's my question:

"Mr. Hama,

As a kid I loved your work on the 80's GI Joe series, and the many Marvel comics you worked on, since then I've turned into a history buff and really enjoyed your illustrated stories based on the American Civil War published by Osprey Publishing. Is there any possibilities we will see more of your work regarding this genre? Thank you for your time."

G.I. JOE fans, I am interviewing The Man for a feature on CTR very soon. Post any good questions for him you may have regarding any facet of JOE, his other work, or toys/comics in general...

(Yes, I already plan to pry from him what he really thinks about the Sommers movie).

Hisstank already did this, and Hamma informed them that he Had signed an NDA and was unable to comment on the film untill such time as it had already been released.

Just a friendly heads up.

Mr. Hama:

During your tenure on the original Marvel Comics run of GI JOE . . . which story arc are you most proud of as a writer? Which story arc do you feel could have been better as a writer?

Now, here is my question.

If, in the future a GI joe Movies are revisited, In ANY format, would he be interested in a more "hands-on" approach, and given more athority on the project? Or, perhaps going so far as being a screenwriter?

Next question

what does he think of his creations getting the sideshow treatment, and what are his HONEST opinions of the Sideshow character designs?

Hisstank already did this, and Hamma informed them that he Had signed an NDA and was unable to comment on the film untill such time as it had already been released.

Just a friendly heads up.

The movie comes out next week, which would make this null once released. Correct?

Here's mine:

"If you were asked to write the final GI Joe/Cobra story featuring characters from the original GI Joe ARAH series (1982-1994), how would you end the conflict once and for all? How do you see the final battle going down that would see the end of Cobra Command (assuming you see GI Joe as being victorious of course.)"

I'm sure he's entertained the finale in some form or another over the years. Do the Joes nuke Cobra Commander's base, does he get capped by one of his own men, run through by Snake Eyes, etc.

I'd be interested to learn more about his own military experience, but I don't really know what specific questions I'd ask.

The attention to detail in the original RAH figures' aspects/military trivia & terminology, in both the file cards and comic, was really great. You can tell that it's missing from the 25th Anniversary line. I always chalked that up to Hama's own military experience and knowledge, and I'd love to hear him elaborate on his own experiences and how it influenced his writing/character designs/bios.

Here's mine:

"If you were asked to write the final GI Joe/Cobra story featuring characters from the original GI Joe ARAH series (1982-1994), how would you end the conflict once and for all? How do you see the final battle going down that would see the end of Cobra Command (assuming you see GI Joe as being victorious of course.)"

I'm sure he's entertained the finale in some form or another over the years. Do the Joes nuke Cobra Commander's base, does he get capped by one of his own men, run through by Snake Eyes, etc.

EXCELLENT question!!

What about:

Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were such unique characters to have in a "military" comic. They would seem completely out of place in a pitch, yet you made both of the characters crucial to RAH's integrity. What were the influences behind the characters and what inspired you to come up with such a compelling back story for the two? Additionally, when did you know Zartan was the assassin?

Have you done the interview yet? If not could you try and get as detailed information as possible about what did get changed in the movie as a result of his suggestions and what specific requests he made that were not heeded?

Back