Hot Toys - MMSV01+02 - UP - Carl + Russell vinyl collectible figures spec + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
Hot Toys Movie Masterpieces Vinyl Collectible Series (MMSV Series)

Hot Toys is proud to announce another brand new product line – the MMS Vinyl collectible series in 2009, this series focuses on animated or reformed movie characters in fine sculpture. To celebrate the release of 3D animation movie - UP from Disney/Pixar, Hot Toys produces a fantastic sculpture of Carl and Russell as the first release of our MMSV series:

Hot Toys - MMSV01 - UP - 7 inches high Carl vinyl collectible figure

Product Description:
l This vinyl collectible captures the 78 year-old man - Carl in approximately 7 inches tall in detailed sculpture
l Comes with colored background featuring movie scene and the flying house from UP
l Special feature: allows limited shoulders movement

Release date: Q3, 2009

© Disney/ Pixar

1UP_CarlRussell.jpg

1UP_Carl.jpg

2UP_Carl.jpg

3UP_Carl.jpg

4UP_Carl.jpg

5UP_Carl.jpg

5UP_Carl.jpg

Hot Toys - MMSV02 - UP - 5.5 inches high Russell vinyl collectible figure

Product Description:
l This vinyl collectible captures the 8 year-old boy - Russell in the approximately 5.5 inches tall in detailed sculpture
l Comes with colored background featuring movie scene and the flying house from UP
l special feature: allows limited shoulders movement

Release date: Q3, 2009

© Disney/ Pixar

2UP_CarlRussell.jpg

1UP_Russell.jpg

2UP_Russell.jpg

3UP_Russell.jpg

4UP_Russell.jpg

5UP_Russell.jpg

6UP_Russell.jpg

Wow these would be the perfect gifts for my younger sister. Now if only HT would do Wall-E

I like how unobtrusive the stand is for Russell's backpack.

Can you ask about Kevin, too? My daughter would love him and Dug.

Well I asked, it seems the line may be fleshed out later... I think it will all depend on how well these do!

But the movie hasn't even been released in HK or here in the UK yet!

im sure people can buy this off the secondary market for slightly cheaper.

Wow, that's pretty disappointing. It also looks like the shading on his face isn't quite as well done compared to the prototype.

It looks good to me, I'd imagine that making the sash with badges out of cloth with all the badges sewn on would be a pain in the ass!

I got these earlier this week from a HK shipment. Not bad overall, but considering the quality of recent Hot Toys releases, these are a bit disappointing.

Carl came out mostly well and close to the prototype. There's one swivel joint on his left arm that takes away from appearance, yet doesn't add much for different poses.

carl2-1.jpg

carl3.jpg

carl4.jpg

As for Russell, I have no idea why Hot Toys decided to add shading that only detracts from the figure's appearance. The sculpt was fine and looked good without shading on the prototype. Instead of adding a bit of red on the cheeks, they put an ugly ring around his jaw. I was happy to see that his sash is sculpted. The flat vinyl one is just placed over it to look better in the packaging. It definitely takes some time to attach the badge stickers on one at a time, but comes out looking nice. The stickers that go on the curved surfaces of equipment on Russell's backpack, however, peel off quickly.

russell-2.jpg

russ1.jpg

russ2.jpg

russ3.jpg

Hot Toys did a great job getting started on these. The sculpts are a lot better than what Jun Planning was going to release. It's obvious that a few corners were cut at the end of the process, though. Considering what Hot Toys is capable of, and the price these are going for, they could have done a lot better. A few small tweaks would have made these great.

carlandruss.jpg

Back