PDA

View Full Version : Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

wookster
07-27-2009, 01:26 AM
UPDATDED PICS post 399 + 400-

Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Hot Toys is proud to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original ALIEN movie with our ALIEN BIG CHAP collectible release. The intricately detailed model- Alien Big Chap- is crafted based on Giger’s original design, and the fully articulated collectible is in scale with other Hot Toys’ Movie Masterpiece 1/6th scale Alien and Predator.
The Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure features:
Approximate stands 16 inches (40 cm) long/ tall
Specially developed skeleton underneath
Over 19 points of articulation
Bendable hands, thenar, and tail
Extendable set of inner jaws
Two sets of Interchangeable hands
Environmental display base

* Product shown is not final **

Artists info:
Character Sculpted by JOSEPH TSANG

Release date: NOV - DEC, 2009

ALIEN TM & © 2009 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. All rights reserved.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/1Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/2Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/3Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/4Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/5Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/6Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/7Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/8Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/9Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/10Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

wookster
07-27-2009, 01:26 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/11Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/12Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/13Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

A.L.I.E.N
07-27-2009, 01:29 AM
That looks epic mate! Love the base!

drunk_leprechaun
07-27-2009, 01:32 AM
this looks great! Will be my only alien figure. maybe a ripley in flightsuit if they make one.

uscmhicks
07-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Theres something about this figure regardless of all the inaccurate parts that makes it look awesome.

Dinosoar Daz
07-27-2009, 01:36 AM
I really thought it would come with a facehugger! However those photos make it look epic. I will be buying.

Centrocal
07-27-2009, 01:36 AM
No way im passing this up! I dont give a damn about his thumbs. Its the best Alien ever!

ripper_joe77
07-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Looks AWESOME! I'm lovin the base too.

qweqwe
07-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Older posts and discussion:

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60090

breakersrevenge
07-27-2009, 02:30 AM
Didnt like it at first but its grown on me!!

Thanks to Wooks with the goods!!

creecher
07-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Strange there isn't a pic with its proboscis extended.

Sabres21768
07-27-2009, 02:54 AM
This thing, as is, sucks huge wet sack.

uscmhicks
07-27-2009, 02:57 AM
with the head it has now it kind of reminds me of a dinosaur. :lol
I personally like it like this anyway but it really should be changed if they want to call this ALIEN.

Devil_666
07-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Strange there isn't a pic with its proboscis extended.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't even there tbh. I might be wrong but I got the impression HT kinda rushed to put together a showable proto of this figure and the DX Batman for the Tokyo Toy Show and SDCC. :confused:

Sined
07-27-2009, 03:08 AM
"Product shown is not final" sounds optimistic. I hope they will improve this one to be more screen accurate.

creecher
07-27-2009, 03:34 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't even there tbh. I might be wrong but I got the impression HT kinda rushed to put together a showable proto of this figure and the DX Batman for the Tokyo Toy Show and SDCC. :confused:
Quite possibly, though they did bother installing the mechanism to work it, but if it was for aesthetics, they may as well not have done that either. I guess we'll see it when they update the proto.

DSD
07-27-2009, 03:42 AM
The body and base do look really good. But the character of the Alien is all about the face, and until that's sorted this might as well be some sort of "Expanded universe" figure.

wookster
07-27-2009, 03:45 AM

I seriously do not understand how you can say that... I agree it needs work, but that is like slapping Joseph Tsang around the face.

HottoyzJoker
07-27-2009, 04:01 AM
I think it looks fine as is... Im a big Alien and Predator fan as well. Now I have the chance to have a Hottoys Alien as well as a Predator I see no reason to ^^^^^ about that...

Jmek
07-27-2009, 04:11 AM
It's a cool figure, but the head is way off. Still they have tried and it's probably their best Alien to date. I do love the paint scheme as well. However the NECA and especially the MEDI are far, far more accurate. I'm 50 / 50 right now. Let's see how the final version turns out.

DSD
07-27-2009, 04:39 AM
I seriously do not understand how you can say that... I agree it needs work, but that is like slapping Joseph Tsang around the face.

I don't know about Joseph Tsang, but whoever decided to go with that design needs a slap round the face.

Not literally, of course.

Devil_666
07-27-2009, 04:59 AM
Quite possibly, though they did bother installing the mechanism to work it, but if it was for aesthetics, they may as well not have done that either. I guess we'll see it when they update the proto.

I figured HT did that so people could at least see and know where the lever will be on the figure. :dunno

galactiboy
07-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Yeah, the other thread is a little slice of heaven :lol

Honestly as is I'm very happy with the figure... I think if there is anything I really would want to have fixed is the 2nd thumb. The other stuff while off, doesn't seem as glaring.

But overall, if this was the final I'd be happy and buy him.

a-dev
07-27-2009, 07:49 AM
These pics are all a bit samey. Same angles, same poses just with and without backdrop, with and without stand. No extended tongue, no behind or front-on views. Everything about this strikes me as being rushed.

Passing on the figure as is.

DPrime
07-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Yep, gotta say that at this point, I'm passing as well. I will wait until pics surface showing the final product... and even then, I may wait a while until after others get it. I would like to think that HT fixed the issues that led to the Alien Warriors' limbs breaking, rubber deteriorating, etc, but I want to know for certain before I fork over $150.

abake
07-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for putting up the official pics Jeff, the figure looks great. The sculpting and detailing look fantastic, so kudos to Mr. Tsang and the HT team on that. I also really like the paint apps, great work.
However, I do hope HT and Mr. Tsang really do take our comments to heart and improve on the figure to make it more accurate.
Do you think it would be useful to post more reference pics here?

I'm sure we'd all be glad to lend a hand. Interestingly, if you get right down to it, it's a case of removing details, rather than re-sculpting things, except for the mouth and skull.

Anyway, if it is so desired, I can put up a chart of revised "issues" in the accuracy department and some reference pics detailing the specific parts.

Wor-Gar
07-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Far superior alien from HT compared to their previous efforts, especially the Aliens alien which now looks like a bad toy. The detailing and paintwork is awesome.

BUT... it's still not completely the Giger Alien from A L I E N.

Of all the fixes mentioned, it's the JAW that bothers me the most. That needs to be fixed. The translucent dome is the next issue for me, but it's one of those things that I could fix myself if it came down to it. The shape of the jaw I can't solve.

Also, why are there no pics with the extending tongue? I see the trigger there, so you know it works. I wonder why they chose not to have one pic of it?

Reinhardt
07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Even though it's not totally accurate, I absolutely love it.

darren1228
07-27-2009, 09:48 AM
The eyes bug me the most. Not round enough and too sinister looking. Hopefully it gets fixed. The dog alien didn't get fixed from last years Con so I have my fingers crossed.

gregj100
07-27-2009, 10:03 AM
I would like to think that HT fixed the issues that led to the Alien Warriors' limbs breaking, rubber deteriorating, etc, but I want to know for certain before I fork over $150.

Then you will most likely be paying secondary market prices for it on the bay or elsewhere. Your wallet may be a bit lighter, but at least you will have peace of mind :)

Wanderer
07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
It looks great as a representation of the Giger Alien imo. Guess i'm not bothered or **** enough to worry about inaccuracies. Its beautiful BERNARD

A.L.I.E.N
07-27-2009, 10:23 AM
It looks great as a representation of the Giger Alien imo. Guess i'm not bothered or **** enough to worry about inaccuracies. Its beautiful BERNARD

"You admire it......." :lol If I had a quid for every time someones used that in a Alien thread!

DPrime
07-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Then you will most likely be paying secondary market prices for it on the bay or elsewhere. Your wallet may be a bit lighter, but at least you will have peace of mind :)

Prices don't go up all that much in the short term. If I wait until after it's released, I'm sure I can buy if for retail within a couple months at least.

Mikey2Bullets
07-27-2009, 11:04 AM
i'm probably wrong but i do see the inaccuracies when compared the the original costume, BUT i kinda see the "errors" as elements of the original necronom paintings. i busted out my slew of giger calendars and do see some similarities with regard to the "eyes" in some of the pre alien paintings.

just a thought, nothing more.

wookster
07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for putting up the official pics Jeff, the figure looks great. The sculpting and detailing look fantastic, so kudos to Mr. Tsang and the HT team on that. I also really like the paint apps, great work.
However, I do hope HT and Mr. Tsang really do take our comments to heart and improve on the figure to make it more accurate.

I'm sure we'd all be glad to lend a hand. Interestingly, if you get right down to it, it's a case of removing details, rather than re-sculpting things, except for the mouth and skull.

Anyway, if it is so desired, I can put up a chart of revised "issues" in the accuracy department and some reference pics detailing the specific parts.

I've sent links to lots of threads and sent pics myself in the past. I've been told that lots of reference sources were used, they are aware for example of the idiosyncracies and differences between the multiple screen worn outfits and the version on display in the Giger museum. I have a strong feeling we are seeing a first draft.
I said ages ago in another thread I think there is room for at least two versions. I'd love to see a small replica of the screen worn outfit, right down to the electrical tape on the wrists, but I'd also like to see one based on what we might have seen had Ridley Scott and Giger had all the money they wanted and CGI at their disposal (heresey I know, but hey!).
I'd even like to see some Giger concept ones... who knows.
But whatever we get I think that the pics show a great looking figure, and I think it'll be even better by the time it's released!

abake
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Fair enough I guess.
Thanks for your input on behalf of us!

Sabres21768
07-27-2009, 12:54 PM

Hot Toys, saying that this is a faithful representation of Giger's Alien, is a slap around every Alien fan's face.

I've said before, I have no problem with Tsang's sculpting abilities.

But, we deserved EXACTLY what the Predator fans got with the orignal Pred figure...ACCURACY.

I do not apologize for voicing my opinion. Hot Toys visits this site...we all know that. They've seen us expressing our desire for AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE sculpt of the original Alien. And THIS is what we get?

Hell Wookster, you yourself said that you'd sent reference pics in the past. They had EVERY oportunity to make this as accurate of a figure as they did the Predator.

But, they chose to ignore all of that in favor of an artistic version.

Infiltrator
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe we didn't see the same movie. I never really got that great a look at the Alien in the first movie. I'm not an expert. I don't know what exactly you are saying that makes it look so bad to you.

Sabres21768
07-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Maybe we didn't see the same movie. I never really got that great a look at the Alien in the first movie. I'm not an expert. I don't know what exactly you are saying that makes it look so bad to you.

Go back and read the original thread. Plenty of pics in there.

The point is not to get "what you saw in the movie". Hell, if that was the case, Hot Toys Wolf Pred and Predalien would be completely black and devoid of detail.

There are enough photo references of what the suit looks like to be able to sculpt an accurate Giger Alien.

SpawnFan
07-27-2009, 01:05 PM
The eyes are too sinister looking, they were just round eyes in the movie though mostly hid under the fogging of the dome. He is supposed to have another thumb or something on each hand and there is an ox jaw missing on his feet. Oh and his mouth is also too sinister looking.

wookster
07-27-2009, 01:25 PM
I do not apologize for voicing my opinion. Hot Toys visits this site...we all know that. They've seen us expressing our desire for AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE sculpt of the original Alien. And THIS is what we get?

Hell Wookster, you yourself said that you'd sent reference pics in the past. They had EVERY oportunity to make this as accurate of a figure as they did the Predator.

Constructive criticism is to be applauded, but-

Is just childish. Do you not agree?
And it was this that I was talking about!

Infiltrator
07-27-2009, 01:32 PM
The point is not to get "what you saw in the movie". Hell, if that was the case, Hot Toys Wolf Pred and Predalien would be completely black and devoid of detail.

Ok, I got your point. However, I don't think that most people who buy this item (not the hard core fans who do the research and are as knowledgeable as you are) will be pretty happy with this item. I hope you are not this exacting on other items. I doubt many products would be able to meet your high standards. This isn't a negative toward you. I understand the passion for perfection, I just find it hard to find, so I am more forgiving/flexible on things.

ChaserFan
07-27-2009, 01:54 PM
They've seen us expressing our desire for AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE sculpt of the original Alien. And THIS is what we get?

It's only a proto HT made before any of these altered pics or reference shots were even sent to them! Saying that HT had every opportunity is untrue. News of this figure was only released, what, 3 weeks ago? You expect HT to fix everything in 3 weeks? Give it about 3 MONTHS for updated pics. This is why it says "Product not final".

The Ween
07-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I already pre-ordered it and the only thing I don't care for much is the teeth.

Devil_666
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Ok, I got your point. However, I don't think that most people who buy this item (not the hard core fans who do the research and are as knowledgeable as you are) will be pretty happy with this item. I hope you are not this exacting on other items. I doubt many products would be able to meet your high standards. This isn't a negative toward you. I understand the passion for perfection, I just find it hard to find, so I am more forgiving/flexible on things.

What do you think is the ratio between "hardcore fans who do the research and are knowledgeable" and casual buyers for something like this? I would say the hardcore fans definitely outweigh the casual buyers, especially for a license like this.

So think about this for a second: you're saying most casual buyers won't know the difference. Ok. Then would you agree if it were 100% accurate, those buyers STILL wouldn't know the difference? If so.. then where's the harm in that!? :confused:

Casual buyers will be happy regardless. That's what you're saying. And I agree with you. But my point is: KNOWING that, why not strive to please the "hardcore fans who do the research and are knowledgeable"!? Why not specifically make what those buyers want, because then it's win/win. Everyone is happy. Make sense?

Yet some companies still don't get it. :lol

Sabres21768
07-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Constructive criticism is to be applauded, but-

Is just childish. Do you not agree?
And it was this that I was talking about!

That's how I feel about it, cut and dry.

There shouldn't even have been a reason to HAVE constructive criticism about this figure.

Hot Toys did not even bother to listen to or read ANYTHING that anyone had sent them prior to the release of this figure.

They KNEW that the fans desired an accurate figure and CHOSE not to produce one.

How inaccurate were the pics of the Predator figure prior to it's release? Did HT work VERY hard to make sure that the Pred fans were happy?

But...this is what the Alien fans get? A half assed attempt at a Giger Alien...that's what we got.

I'm incredibly flexible when it comes to Alien collectibles. Just look at my collection.

If Hot Toys had made a half assed attempt at the Predator, then I couldn't complain about what the did with the Alien.

But...they didn't. They went all out to get as accurate as possible and still have a poseable figure. It's obvious that the spent time researching and listening to what the fans wanted BEFORE they put the figure out there.

The DID NOT do the same for the fans who wanted an accurate Alien.

abake
07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
It's only a proto HT made before any of these altered pics or reference shots were even sent to them! Saying that HT had every opportunity is untrue. News of this figure was only released, what, 3 weeks ago? You expect HT to fix everything in 3 weeks? Give it about 3 MONTHS for updated pics. This is why it says "Product not final".

I sent HT reference pics, including pics of other -accurate- collectibles over a year ago, foreseeing the fact that they would eventually make a figure of the iconic Giger creation.
Besides, this monster has been documented to death for years. It's not really obscure, the info is available everywhere on the net.
And HT knew that the fans were expecting an accurate rendition of the alien, because we (the vocal, accuracy nazi minority) have been telling them we want accurate aliens since they first previewed their Aliens figure years ago.

Since there's a lot of people asking just how it is inaccurate, here's the revised list I put up with the inaccuracies that can be seen from the pics posted here.

Hands: the sixth finger is wrong, it's actually a second thumb, not just another finger.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/original_1979_alien.jpg

Arms: there is extra ribbing on the inside of the forearms which shouldn't be there.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/giger_009.jpg

Skull: the shape of the skull is wrong, it is way too "evil" looking and back slanting. It has to have a much more human look.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/alientorso.jpg

Dorsal Pipes: The fifth spike (upper center) looks wrong in shape. Also, the spines have the wrong of shape.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/alien1d0og9sf.jpg

Mouth: the teeth are the wrong shape and there's too much lips. The actual lips were translucent, so failing that, I would prefer no lips, especially the upper lip. Also, there is an extra tube coming out of the lower jaw, check the reference pics.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/alien1.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/3473367fp54ot2329426328XROQDF23234-.jpg

Shoulders: after reviewing the pics, I do believe they look right, what do you guys think?

Torso: the ribs end too soon, they should go further back.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/alien1d0og9sf.jpg

Neck: it looks wrong, too wide and some of the detailing looks invented, but I can't really tell from the pics.

Hips: again, there seem to be extra tubes/ribbing that weren't there (on second thought, maybe it's not wrong, would have to get a better view)

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/0010.jpg

Legs: fantastically wrong! Again there's ribbing on the inside of the calves, and as SS pointed out, what's with the muscle? Also, the three "bars" on the back of the leg (towards the ankle) look to be the wrong shape.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/0020.jpg

Feet: can't see much, but it seems they're missing the oxen jaws.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/giger_010-1.jpg

Tail: can't really see the shape, but it should be very flat at the base, getting rounder as it goes to the tip. But I couldn't find any good reference pics, although both the Medicom and NECA figures have the tail in that configuration.

abake
07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Part deux:

As for overall look and proportions, here's the actual suit with Bolaji Badejo inside:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/aliensuit.jpg

And the original sculpture made by Giger that was used to make the castings for the suit:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/0008.jpg

Here's Medicom's:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/Medi%20Alien/DSC01133.jpg

And NECA's:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/Alien%20Comp/DSCN4248.jpg

And Marmit's statue:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/alien/100_4144a.jpg

For the record, I like the proportions on the HT figure.

MaulFan
07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
It's only a proto HT made before any of these altered pics or reference shots were even sent to them! Saying that HT had every opportunity is untrue.

People sent actual film suit photos to HT over the years because of the innaccurracies of past Alien figures in hopes that THE Alien would be as accurrate as possible. The movie and those pics have been around for 30 years, that's where the arguments are coming about HT failing, that they shouldn't need photo manipulations of their figure, that using reference from teh actual film it's based on should be enough, and with that material out there, and the discrepancies on the figure, the off elements seem more likely by choice rather than failure. Even if not photos, there are products from Sideshow and NECA and many other companies accurrately depicting the creature to use as 3D reference to get the details right.

ChaserFan
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
People sent actual film suit photos to HT over the years because of the innaccurracies of past Alien figures in hopes that THE Alien would be as accurrate as possible. The movie and those pics have been around for 30 years, that's where the arguments are coming about HT failing, that they shouldn't need photo manipulations of their figure, that using reference from teh actual film it's based on should be enough, and with that material out there, and the discrepancies on the figure, the off elements seem more likely by choice rather than failure. Even if not photos, there are products from Sideshow and NECA and many other companies accurrately depicting the creature to use as 3D reference to get the details right.

But still, this IS only a proto.......maybe they just needed to be reminded, and are hopefully fixing it as we speak! :D

MaulFan
07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
But still, this IS only a proto.......maybe they just needed to be reminded, and are hopefully fixing it as we speak! :D

Of course it's a proto, but can you not understand the frustration of the Alien fans speaking up.

Hot Toys had equal skills, time and less years of reference available for their Predator figure, but they engineered a new body, tooled the most accurrate head they've ever done on a Predator, added LED lighting to the bio mask, did many details right on the Predator prototype, it was as great as it is from day one.

The Alien fans are upset because with as much time to do as nice a job on the Alien, it hasn't been done, and it crushes their optimism over what changes may happen by the time the figure ships because essentially, they've been shown by HT that Hot Toys doesn't care about reference on the creature so why would they listen now any more than they'd listen in the years leading up to this figure.

This isn't frustration over one figure being vented, it's years and multiple Alien figures with innaccurracies and other top notch efforts from HT within that window that's really coming out. Alien fans are feeling like HT doesn't give a ^^^^ about their beloved creature, and while I have no idea why the figures come out the way they do, ALIENS especially showed HT for some reason takes creative liberties with the designs, and it's weird since it only seems like the Alien gets that, the Predators get accurracy as best they can.

FACEBOX
07-27-2009, 03:12 PM

See Maulfan's post.
We should not have to "remind" Hot Toys.
None of the other licenses needed that, so why this one....again?

Like I said before, the eye sockets and hands are my biggest complaints.
They are totally wrong. :(

ChaserFan
07-27-2009, 03:22 PM
See Maulfan's post.
We should not have to "remind" Hot Toys.
None of the other licenses needed that, so why this one....again?

No, you shouldn't have to remind them, but who knows what has happened between then and now? Maybe they'll finally 'get it' and produce an accurate alien for once.

karamazov80
07-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Clearly a flawed figure for the reasons pointed out, but I will probably get it anyway, as it still looks fantastic, and the price could be a lot worse.

MaulFan
07-27-2009, 03:36 PM
It is a great looking figure, I've placed my order, and to have an ALIEN in scale with the rest of the Hot Toys Aliens collection, it's pretty close and a nice addition and certainly HT's best Alien to date.

However, HT also really opened themselves up to criticism writing this in their newsletter.

To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the ALIEN movie (1979), we have been invested a very long time to develop the best 1/6th scale Alien collectible which you never had. Another great job done by our talented artist - Joseph Tsang after AVP She Predator and Alien Bust projects, this collectible perfectly captured the first appearance of the Big Chap Alien in the movie. If you are looking for a replica of Giger's work, this is the one! Don't miss any chance to get this worthiest Alien collectible while you can.

They've made a claim and people are calling them out on it.

Sabres21768
07-27-2009, 03:37 PM
This is a brilliant, concise post and needs quoting.

Nice work MaulFan.

Of course it's a proto, but can you not understand the frustration of the Alien fans speaking up.

Hot Toys had equal skills, time and less years of reference available for their Predator figure, but they engineered a new body, tooled the most accurrate head they've ever done on a Predator, added LED lighting to the bio mask, did many details right on the Predator prototype, it was as great as it is from day one.

The Alien fans are upset because with as much time to do as nice a job on the Alien, it hasn't been done, and it crushes their optimism over what changes may happen by the time the figure ships because essentially, they've been shown by HT that Hot Toys doesn't care about reference on the creature so why would they listen now any more than they'd listen in the years leading up to this figure.

This isn't frustration over one figure being vented, it's years and multiple Alien figures with innaccurracies and other top notch efforts from HT within that window that's really coming out. Alien fans are feeling like HT doesn't give a ^^^^ about their beloved creature, and while I have no idea why the figures come out the way they do, ALIENS especially showed HT for some reason takes creative liberties with the designs, and it's weird since it only seems like the Alien gets that, the Predators get accurracy as best they can.

abake
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
this collectible perfectly captured the first appearance of the Big Chap Alien in the movie. If you are looking for a replica of Giger's work, this is the one!

Yup, that one pretty much set them up for an epic fail...
In terms of accuracy, this is way below NECA, Marmit and Medicom, even though those also have smaller issues.

plasmid303
07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Frustration or not, why is it so difficult for some people to articulate their thoughts in a manner that isn't crass? I'd hate to think HT is reading some of this. It reminds me of the venom shot at Sideshow for a span of time when HT and Medicom were on the rise. Not cool.

Anyway, that's a great post, Maulfan. I own the previous HT xenomorph figures, and while the inaccuracies are a point of contention for many fans, I still think they look great and offer the kind of articulation unheard of for this sort of character in previous collectibles.

HT pushed this horse out of the gate too soon. Possibly in order to make it to Tokyo Toy Show or SDCC, I dunno. Or maybe Tsang just doesn't have what it takes.

abake
07-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Frustration or not, why is it so difficult for some people to articulate their thoughts in a manner that isn't crass? I'd hate to think HT is reading some of this. It reminds me of the venom shot at Sideshow for a span of time when HT and Medicom were on the rise. Not cool.

Anyway, that's a great post, Maulfan. I own the previous HT xenomorph figures, and while the inaccuracies are a point of contention for many fans, I still think they look great and offer the kind of articulation unheard of for this sort of character in previous collectibles.

HT pushed this horse out of the gate too soon. Possibly in order to make it to Tokyo Toy Show or SDCC, I dunno. Or maybe Tsang just doesn't have what it takes.

Actually, this hasn't been discussed much I think, but I do worry about articulation on this figure. The rubber suit means it will be very limited, which is a shame. I would've accepted artistic interpretation to accommodate their usual hip articulation. No stooping pose, again. No crouching either.

As for Tsang, he is clearly an amazing sculptor but he clearly does not care about accuracy and would rather make his aliens instead of what we saw in the movies...

Jamesways
07-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Honestly though, I can't say I'm really surprised. Given their track record with the Alien license, and after seeing the 1/4 "Giger" bust, you kinda had the feeling they'd just use a similar sculpt for the head.

We can only hope they fix it.

Abake, he's obviously influenced by the Takeya pieces. Stylized aliens are cool.:monkey5

MaulFan
07-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Or maybe Tsang just doesn't have what it takes.

I think he has what it takes, I mean if you set aside accurracy and judget the sheer detail and quality of sculpture on the HT Alien figures, they're beautiful works.

The realy question is, why do they depart from the source material. There is no source material in existence to come up with the design of anatomy used on the ALIENS figure, it's completely conceptual. Hot Toys made a snap kit ALIENS figure that was a great job, for a 4" figure captured as much Giger design as possible, but then at 1/6, it wasn't even in the ballpark.

I really think there's some sort of intentional reason for some of the innaccurracies, a stylistic choice or something, they just seem too deliberate and not due to error or inability of sculptors.

MaulFan
07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Actually, this hasn't been discussed much I think, but I do worry about articulation on this figure. The rubber suit means it will be very limited, which is a shame. I would've accepted artistic interpretation to accommodate their usual hip articulation. No stooping pose, again. No crouching either.

Which is interesting to me because I see that as a sign of caring, that they felt people would rather see the design disrupted less for articulation so they minimized it, and since it wasn't the most action oriented one of the series, that ok to an extent.

creecher
07-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Abake, he's obviously influenced by the Takeya pieces. Stylized aliens are cool.:monkey5

It's not supposed to be stylised and cool, it's supposed to be Giger and the coolest. Why bother making a proto that doesn't represent? So they can fix it and say we listen to our fans? Too bad the proto couldn't be as good as their spin doctor.

plasmid303
07-27-2009, 04:33 PM
I just don't understand the process that could result in what we see now. I won't assume to know the behind-the-scenes process, but shouldn't there be a few people on the HT team that could have noticed how inaccurate Tsang's work on the Giger Alien was? I cannot believe he was given carte blanche to take such drastic creative liberties with this character. But again, this isn't the finished product and I still want to believe that HT just unveiled the piece too early.

I think he has what it takes, I mean if you set aside accurracy and judget the sheer detail and quality of sculpture on the HT Alien figures, they're beautiful works.

The realy question is, why do they depart from the source material. There is no source material in existence to come up with the design of anatomy used on the ALIENS figure, it's completely conceptual. Hot Toys made a snap kit ALIENS figure that was a great job, for a 4" figure captured as much Giger design as possible, but then at 1/6, it wasn't even in the ballpark.

I really think there's some sort of intentional reason for some of the innaccurracies, a stylistic choice or something, they just seem too deliberate and not due to error or inability of sculptors.

Jamesways
07-27-2009, 04:46 PM
It's not supposed to be stylised and cool, it's supposed to be Giger and the coolest. Why bother making a proto that doesn't represent? So they can fix it and say we listen to our fans? Too bad the proto couldn't be as good as their spin doctor.

Tell me about it, I know. I'm still trying to understand why he would sculpt it like that. And then to describe it as a replica of Giger's work, just baffling.
And I'm willing to bet they'll leave it alone, and we'll get it just like the pics. :(

abake
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Honestly though, I can't say I'm really surprised. Given their track record with the Alien license, and after seeing the 1/4 "Giger" bust, you kinda had the feeling they'd just use a similar sculpt for the head.

Bingo!
But those are Takeya aliens, and everybody loves them for that.
These are Movie Masterpieces aliens. They shouldn't be Tsang aliens.

As I said, I do enjoy HT's aliens tremendously for what they are, cool interpretations of the aliens, but I feel it's a gigantic missed opportunity to make something truly outstanding, something that had never been done before.

CelticPredator
07-27-2009, 04:51 PM
They should call it "The BIG CRAP"

Yeah well.....whatever. I still hate it. :(

abake
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
BTW, did anyone take a good "full frontal" pic? It'd be good to see the legs from the front.

pjam
07-27-2009, 05:36 PM
It's up for PO at Alter Ego. $135.

draekus
07-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I just don't understand the process that could result in what we see now. I won't assume to know the behind-the-scenes process, but shouldn't there be a few people on the HT team that could have noticed how inaccurate Tsang's work on the Giger Alien was? I cannot believe he was given carte blanche to take such drastic creative liberties with this character. But again, this isn't the finished product and I still want to believe that HT just unveiled the piece too early.

Unfortunately, this happens in the industry. It may have been a unanimous decision from the creative team or it may have come down to a vote. (I doubt it was requested by the licensor - FOX).

...all we can hope for is that they change it.

man_vs_machine
07-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Definite must have right here!

DARK-SIDE
07-27-2009, 05:53 PM
will they change? will not ?
I don't care about it now.
I sold my HT collection last year,and I still think "HT sucks" ……when they've done a beautiful creature with Cap inside …… well ,this time, Crap outside ……

shockwave
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Well HT received our concerns. The pics are up on their site. But it's still the prototype (right :confused:). Like many of us I am not keen @ all w/the skull, mouth, & hands. But it's up to HT if they will honor what they have stated on their site regarding their best representation on Giger's creation. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to be repetitive here. It's been discussed before and better interpreted by others :peace

Fingers crossed. And yes HT please delay this figure to make the necessary changes. :D

FACEBOX
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Personally, I'm willing to wait another full year if it means that we'll get the original alien.
They did manage to change Dutch, and Marcus' head....so....fingers crossed.

Imagine the uproar if they made the Sentinel, Endoskeleton, Predator...or god forbid....TDK this way. (stylized)

MaulFan
07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
The irony is, of the two companies, HT's Alien is more stylized and Medicom's is more accurrate, when typically, they're known for doing the opposite with the rest of their figures.

abake
07-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Yeah, the Medi-alien looks like a true labor of love, what is baffling in their case is that they went to all the trouble of making what seems to be a unique body and still didn't do it in 1/6 scale... who can understand toy companies? :lol

MaulFan
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, the Medi-alien looks like a true labor of love, what is baffling in their case is that they went to all the trouble of making what seems to be a unique body and still didn't do it in 1/6 scale... who can understand toy companies? :lol

Is it in scale to their regular figures though, it'd make most sense to hold to that instead of the figure scale Hot Toys, Sideshow and others use.

Barbarian Ulver
07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
So are you saying Medicom's Alien is short by 1:6th standards? That's a pity. I was thinking of getting a Medicom Alien if Hot Toys didn't keep their promise.

abake
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Is it in scale to their regular figures though, it'd make most sense to hold to that instead of the figure scale Hot Toys, Sideshow and others use.

Nope, not to scale with their own figures:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/Medi%20Alien/DSC01117.jpg

abake
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
So are you saying Medicom's Alien is short by 1:6th standards? That's a pity. I was thinking of getting a Medicom Alien if Hot Toys didn't keep their promise.

Very short by 1/6 standards:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/Medi%20Alien/DSC01116.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/Medi%20Alien/DSC01092.jpg

But it is a beautiful figure and a near-perfect representation of Giger's alien. As a stand alone piece it is brilliant. Paint apps are pretty much non-existant though.

plasmid303
07-27-2009, 09:12 PM
The Medicom chap still looks nice though, and probably even nicer if he was a stand-alone piece on your shelf. Do you guys remember Medicom's first Giger Alien figure? That was cool for its time (the late nineties, I think).

Hey Abake, do you have a photo of the Medicom alien standing next to any of the HT ones?

abake
07-27-2009, 09:20 PM
No, sorry. But I know I've seen side by side pics with HT aliens somewhere around here... try checking the original Giger alien thread, maybe there's one there. In any case, I'm sure Sabres will find one for ya! :lol

Jamesways
07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Someone needs to do a serious repaint on it though! Then it'd be almost perfect.

abake
07-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Someone needs to do a serious repaint on it though! Then it'd be almost perfect.

Agreed.
Has the price on it already dropped? I haven't seen it go down. I think people are not attempting any repaints because it's such an expensive figure and the material used is unlike any other I've seen. It certainly isn't rubbery like HT's, so who knows what type of paint you'd have to use.

Sabres21768
07-27-2009, 09:58 PM
The Medicom chap still looks nice though, and probably even nicer if he was a stand-alone piece on your shelf. Do you guys remember Medicom's first Giger Alien figure? That was cool for its time (the late nineties, I think).

Hey Abake, do you have a photo of the Medicom alien standing next to any of the HT ones?

No, sorry. But I know I've seen side by side pics with HT aliens somewhere around here... try checking the original Giger alien thread, maybe there's one there. In any case, I'm sure Sabres will find one for ya! :lol

:rotfl:rotfl

Dude, you know that's right.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/sabres21768/other6/100_5740.jpg

kazukijun
07-27-2009, 10:03 PM
All that could have been said about the figure has been said.
I just hope HT takes notice & do the changes, its just the skull/dome & hands. If they do that, I'm happy enough.

Yeah, the Medicom Alien really fall shorts in size, but still a beautiful near accurate depiction of Giger's Alien.

Sabres21768
07-27-2009, 10:05 PM
All that could have been said about the figure has been said.
I just hope HT takes notice & do the changes, its just the skull/dome & hands. If they do that, I'm happy enough.

Yeah, the Medicom Alien really fall shorts in size, but still a beautiful near accurate depiction of Giger's Alien.

Yep, fix the skull and the hands and I'll be perfectly content.

Even though it's not accurate, I love the paint job on the proto.

I hope we get something like that.

D'oh!
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
If they fix the head, I would consider this, but the price tag seems a bit too steep, considering it's the same as Don Corleone. I guess they can justify it being a new sculpt and all, but The Don was a clothed figure with an excellent set of accessories that came with him. This should at least have an egg and face-hugger. Or better yet, a partially cocooned Dallas or Brett!

DARK-SIDE
07-27-2009, 11:32 PM
damn !! Why didn't I pick up those medicom alien with slightly damege box for 75 USD including shipping ……

ChaserFan
07-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Or better yet, a partially cocooned Dallas or Brett!

Keep dreamin'! :lol

Sabres21768
07-28-2009, 01:26 AM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/sabres21768/other3/100_4491.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/sabres21768/other3/brettcocoon.jpg

DSD
07-28-2009, 01:52 AM
I don't really get the issue with the Medicom Alien not being 1/6 scale. Surely people have a desk or bathroom it can live in, separate to the rest of their collection? I have mine posed on a shelf with some of my Alien books and a couple of the little Kubricks and it looks great.

Seems strange to forego what is currently the most accurate poseable depiction of Giger's Alien, just because it's a tiddler.

lerath666
07-28-2009, 02:05 AM
only complanit, the poses for the publicity photes are somewhat lackluster, compared to the other aliens. I do hope this is not indicitive of his poseability/fragility.

Lee in MI
07-28-2009, 02:40 AM
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread so this question may be asked and answered. If so, can someone post the link to the thread please? Anyway, why do they call it the Big Chap Alien?

I'm an Alien fan but i don't get into the back story very much. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

wookster
07-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread so this question may be asked and answered. If so, can someone post the link to the thread please? Anyway, why do they call it the Big Chap Alien?

I'm an Alien fan but i don't get into the back story very much. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

It was basically a term of affection used on set during filming, I put a link to a brief explanation in this review-
http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_012609b.htm

Look at the adult Alien section on the last page of this PDF link-
http://www.littlegiger.com/articles/files/Starlog_26.pdf
It was a term that got picked up in Japan and slightly lost in translation meaning it became officially known as 'The Big Chap'.

tylerdurden
07-28-2009, 03:04 AM
u know what bugs me way more than the inaccurate face? that HUGE, UGLY-ASS seam across the back of his dome! wtf is that about, hot toys?

think i'll hold off buying this til it comes out and i can judge in-hand whether it's worth getting...

Lee in MI
07-28-2009, 03:28 AM
It was basically a term of affection used on set during filming, I put a link to a brief explanation in this review-
http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_012609b.htm

Look at the adult Alien section on the last page of this PDF link-
http://www.littlegiger.com/articles/files/Starlog_26.pdf
It was a term that got picked up in Japan and slightly lost in translation meaning it became officially known as 'The Big Chap'.

Thanks Bro!

abake
07-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Yep, fix the skull and the hands and I'll be perfectly content.

Even though it's not accurate, I love the paint job on the proto.

I hope we get something like that.

I really wish they got rid of the extra ribbing on the inner forearms and the calves as well...
In the case of the forearms it's just a matter of deleting the detail, but the lower legs would have to be re-sculpted.

DSD
07-28-2009, 09:27 AM
That sort of thing I can live with. It's not integral to the look of the Alien, whereas the face and teeth most definitely are. I don't understand how they can take those iconic shiny chrome dentures and turn them into tiny little gummy peg teeth without thinking "Maybe we should have another crack at this..."

I mean, even the Kenner managed to get that broadly right!

abake
07-28-2009, 12:06 PM
That sort of thing I can live with. It's not integral to the look of the Alien

You are much more forgiving than I... :lol

a-dev
07-28-2009, 02:25 PM
That sort of thing I can live with. It's not integral to the look of the Alien, whereas the face and teeth most definitely are. I don't understand how they can take those iconic shiny chrome dentures and turn them into tiny little gummy peg teeth without thinking "Maybe we should have another crack at this..."

:lecture:lecture:lecture

abake
07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Yes, but the point is to push HT to make the figure fully accurate... not just half-accurate.
Well, we can dream, can't we?

thundergod
07-28-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm seriously considering giving up on this forum . Comments saying "H.T sucks " and the like are indicative of the attitude of an increasing number of members . I've changed my entire collecting habits thanks to Hot Toys and have never been disapointed with their pieces ( apart from the "Aliens" Warrior debacle , which in my opinion was a freak occurance of poor materials ) and I've been collecting figures since BEFORE it was the "cool" thing to do . I lapped up the Kenner figures "back in the day " because the fact that you could ACTUALLY HAVE AN ALIEN OR PREDATOR ON THE SHELF was in itself a fans dream . You genuinely couldn't have imagined owning a figure of the quality or attention to detail ( oh, I'm sorry , the details are SO WRONG ) of the H.T products back then . I know , the figures are very expensive , but for God's sake no one has a gun to your head to buy these things . It's simple , don't like 'em , don't buy 'em! And yes , before the flaming starts , I know I'm probably not as big a fan , or as particular in my standards as some of you guys , after all , I've only been a fan of Star Wars since '77, a viewer of the first Alien a couple of years later and a fan of "action figures" since well before that , but I'll be buying the "Big Chap" and I'll take great pleasure in displaying it .( And having a sly "play" when no-one is looking). Make of that what you will .:(

abake
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
I think the comments of HT sucks are in the frank minority, and rightly so.
What we are saying is simple: it's not as good as it could be, we know they can do it better, so why don't they do it?
That's basically all.
And a few reference pics and colorful remarks. :D

mr.fan
07-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm seriously considering giving up on this forum . Comments saying "H.T sucks " and the like are indicative of the attitude of an increasing number of members . I've changed my entire collecting habits thanks to Hot Toys and have never been disapointed with their pieces ( apart from the "Aliens" Warrior debacle , which in my opinion was a freak occurance of poor materials ) and I've been collecting figures since BEFORE it was the "cool" thing to do . I lapped up the Kenner figures "back in the day " because the fact that you could ACTUALLY HAVE AN ALIEN OR PREDATOR ON THE SHELF was in itself a fans dream . You genuinely couldn't have imagined owning a figure of the quality or attention to detail ( oh, I'm sorry , the details are SO WRONG ) of the H.T products back then . I know , the figures are very expensive , but for God's sake no one has a gun to your head to buy these things . It's simple , don't like 'em , don't buy 'em! And yes , before the flaming starts , I know I'm probably not as big a fan , or as particular in my standards as some of you guys , after all , I've only been a fan of Star Wars since '77, a viewer of the first Alien a couple of years later and a fan of "action figures" since well before that , but I'll be buying the "Big Chap" and I'll take great pleasure in displaying it .( And having a sly "play" when no-one is looking). Make of that what you will .:(

completely agree with this post, the big chap figure is incredible and I'm definately getting it. Hope no changes are made and the final product is as close as the proto as we can get...

Wor-Gar
07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Don't give up on us, Thundergod.

Expectations have grown exponentially since HT raised the bar and then shot it over the moon. I agree that it's a great alien -- if not precisely the Giger one, still HT's BEST effort to date.

abake
07-28-2009, 04:19 PM
completely agree with this post, the big chap figure is incredible and I'm definately getting it. Hope no changes are made and the final product is as close as the proto as we can get...

Why would you want a figure that is not accurate vs. a figure that is accurate?
Do you dislike Giger's design?
Just curious.

And yes, this looks like HT's best alien so far.

pjam
07-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Don't give up on us, Thundergod.

Expectations have grown exponentially since HT raised the bar and then shot it over the moon. I agree that it's a great alien -- if not precisely the Giger one, still HT's BEST effort to date.

Agreed. Don't give up on us although I can see why you gave up on them. And it's not just this thread, it's pervasive throughout the board. When I joined SSF there were 800 members and it was a classy, civil place.

Now, it's like spoiled bipolar Kids in Romper Room on a Sugar High. :lol Why I spend less and less time here lately. It's become, in part, a real turn off to visit threads. And I'm not alone. It's become chronic.

But there are also many passionate, concerned voices who want and hope for the best when it comes to Giger. In this case ART is not to be stylized, it should be properly represented. :D

Mikey2Bullets
07-28-2009, 04:30 PM

booooo, you stink, booooo :D :monkey5

just kidding brother,
i'm with you 100% :lecture:clap

Karnis
07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
It's not a bad figure, but the mouth really disappoints. The teeth should be vicious, instead it looks like the mouth of a Hawaiian Trigger fish.

Unless they improve that portion of the figure, I'll have to pass and live with my Neca 21" Giger Alien.

Not knocking Hot Toys, I love 'em, got plenty of their figures, but they have set high standards for themselves and by their fans, and they shouldn't be outdone by the likes of Neca.

MaulFan
07-28-2009, 05:08 PM
But there are also many passionate, concerned voices who want and hope for the best when it comes to Giger. In this case ART is not to be stylized, it should be properly represented. :D

Indeed, Giger and Stan Winston really revolutionized Sci-Fi creature design and really delivered some very interesting designs and the Alien in particular has always been one that is rarely seen for all the work put in. The film itself hardly gives you a glimpse at all the work Giger put it, most of it obscured in shadow. Our collectibles are the only really good way to truly see and appreciate his design for all it was and true representations are few and rare. NECA and McFarlane's figures are probably the most easily affordable and mass available renditions to date, everything else has been expensive or hard to come by.

Wor-Gar
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
When I joined SSF there were 800 members and it was a classy, civil place.

Now, it's like spoiled bipolar Kids in Romper Room on a Sugar High. :lol

:lol

Great analogy.

Jamesways
07-28-2009, 08:39 PM
People just want the head tweaked a bit.

It's not like this is a heated argument of the exact degree of the flare on vader's helmet.

Hahah, sorry, couldn't resist. :chew:D:p

And you're right, it's a great time to be a Alien collector, Giger's piece is finally starting to get some excellent representation in figure and statue form.

a-dev
07-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Why would you want a figure that is not accurate vs. a figure that is accurate?

I found the "I hope no changes are made" comment quite baffling myself. As you imply its like saying "I specifically want an innaccurate figure". :confused:

CelticPredator
07-28-2009, 10:35 PM

So you want an Alien that looks nothing like any ^^^^ing Alien ever show on film ever?

Alrighty then.

TwoFace
07-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Well atleast he still has his phallic (spelling?)

Darren Carnall
07-29-2009, 02:49 AM
are the teeth made that small because the working inner jaw has to come out past them? I was just thinking earlier, and wondered if there was a reason they aren't as long and pointy as the real ones.

DSD
07-29-2009, 03:37 AM
It's possible I suppose. Contradicting myself somewhat, as most would consider it an iconic feature, but I'd happily forego an extending jaw in favour of a really accurate, detailed, and crucially chromed set of closed teeth.

Jmek
07-29-2009, 04:53 AM
It's possible I suppose. Contradicting myself somewhat, as most would consider it an iconic feature, but I'd happily forego an extending jaw in favour of a really accurate, detailed, and crucially chromed set of closed teeth.

Amen to that.

Jamesways
07-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Someone pointed out on another board that the HT description says it was based on Giger's Original design. So, more the concept designs with the bug eyes? Maybe that's why they sculpted the head like that?

I don't know.

FACEBOX
07-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Someone pointed out on another board that the HT description says it was based on Giger's Original design. So, more the concept designs with the bug eyes? Maybe that's why they sculpted the head like that?

I don't know.

Doubt it.
The Giger concept drawing actually had eyes on the outside of the dome.
This figure only has eye sockets, and they're on the inside of the dome.

Jamesways
07-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Yeah, it looks nothing like the early designs, or sabres statues/kits.

I think people are trying to rationalize the decisions made.

Karnis
07-29-2009, 07:46 AM
http://www.hrgiger.com/images/gigersalien.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg180/Karnis2/alienchap.jpg

Comparison shot. From the H.R. Giger website.
Discuss....

MaulFan
07-29-2009, 07:56 AM
The experts can verify or deny this, but I thought this image was sort of Giger's sketch of sorts, not an exact match of the costume, very close, but not precisely, like the tubes on the shoulders seem much smaller than the costume.

http://www.hrgiger.com/images/gigersalien.jpg

FACEBOX
07-29-2009, 08:03 AM
The lines/curves are completely off.
I think Jamesways is right. People are just trying to justify the figure.

http://mespenseesmavie.hautetfort.com/album/hr_giger/hr_giger_necronom_iv.3.jpg#

http://www.rickcastro.com/antebellum/heritac/giger.gif

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/film_images/Alien_design_artwork_Hrgiger.jpg

If anything, it should look like this:
http://pe.elmstreet-online.com/shop1/catalog/images/SS2908_1_logo.jpg

Reinhardt
07-29-2009, 08:10 AM
I'd happily forego an extending jaw in favour of a really accurate, detailed, and crucially chromed set of closed teeth.

Me too. Plus it would last longer as I'm afraid the rubber around the mouth will break down over time.

Darren Carnall
07-29-2009, 08:17 AM
in fact, after looking at the comparison pics... the teeth are actually ok for me... Ive just realised whats making them look small is that the lips could do with retracting a little... like what the Alien does just before it bites someone. That's when you really see the teeth.

I'll fog/darken the dome a little myself... and with a spotlight overhead I think this piece will look incredible. Whatever inancuracies it may have :)

abake
07-29-2009, 08:47 AM
I think the shape of the teeth is somewhat wrong and the fact that the lips are partially covering them doesn't help.
As I posted somewhere else the lips were translucent in Rambaldi's mechanized head. They were very "alien". You can see it clearly in the Quad set's extras. It's like a rigid line that pulls down the translucent flesh over the teeth. That's what made them look kinda pouty in some shots were they're only half way curled up. Nobody has done this yet in figure or statue form that I'm aware of, but making them thick and rubbery like in the HT prototype certainly isn't the solution IMO.

DSD
07-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I agree Jamesways, I think people are reaching a bit. I've not seen any original sketches or paintings prior to production of the film which looked anything like Hot Toys' rendition, and neither does it look like that in the film. It's neither one thing nor the other. A toy version of one of Giger's original paintings would be pretty cool, but this ain't it.

senbi575
07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
The model/toy does have some differences to the original, but it is still very cool, and would look great with the Kane & Dallas figures! I wonder if they will do a Ripley?

Joranthalus
07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm gonna buy it. I think it looks cool, and Alien enough...

GreenDragon
07-29-2009, 12:13 PM
one thing that always bugs me about you guys is this:

Why SETTLE for mediocrity when for the money you are spending, you should be getting accuracy?

karamazov80
07-29-2009, 12:17 PM
one thing that always bugs me about you guys is this:

Why SETTLE for mediocrity when for the money you are spending, you should be getting accuracy?
I think this entire thread is devoted to the fact that people do not want to settle for anything less than near perfection, actually. . .

Personally, I'm not an Alien expert, and am not as **** retentive about all this. Looks good to me, and is way cheaper than a lot of other stuff coming out.

GreenDragon
07-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I think this entire thread is devoted to the fact that people do not want to settle for anything less than near perfection, actually. . .

Personally, I'm not an Alien expert, and am not as **** retentive about all this. Looks good to me, and is way cheaper than a lot of other stuff coming out.

true true, but honestly, the NECA one is damn near close and a whole hell of a lot cheaper. I would say buy more of that one ;-)

a-dev
07-29-2009, 12:50 PM

I don't know.

If they did then why base the Predator on what actually appeared in the film? Why base Robocop or the endoskeleton on their final designs. Just downright confusing and annoying really that they would veer away from what the Alien actually looked like in the film.

Jmek
07-29-2009, 01:56 PM
No figure is perfect let's face it. But there's interpratations and then there's artistic interpratations. Imagine if Sideshow had thought to themselves "well Darth Vader's a great design but just doesn't look evil enough" and added a scar down his faceplate, horns and an eyepatch. :horror

Pineapple
07-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I think it looks fantastic even though its not 100% accurate. Either way I prefer it over the Medicom version.

DSD
07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
I think it looks fantastic even though its not 100% accurate. Either way I prefer it over the Medicom version.

I can't think why. The Medicom is only lacking in the paint apps. Otherwise it's pretty spot on.

abake
07-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I can't think why. The Medicom is only lacking in the paint apps. Otherwise it's pretty spot on.

Well, it's too small if you're strictly a 1/6 collector, and the detail is pretty soft on some spots.
Still, I love my Medi-Alien!

I'm actually thinking about expanding my horizons. I think I might start looking for other interesting figures/statues in any scale that are interesting interpretations of the alien. After all, with the Medi-alien, the NECA, McF and Aoshima figures, there's already some variety in pose-ability and accuracy in my collection, not to mention the HT figures.
I think that looking for the ultimate articulated 1/6 scale alien figure is a mirage.

But, I think I might end-up with a much more interesting collection! :D

We'll see.

However, if HT do listen to us and make a more accurate figure, I'll be overjoyed.

Sabres21768
07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, it's too small if you're strictly a 1/6 collector, and the detail is pretty soft on some spots.

I'm actually thinking about expanding my horizons. I think I might start looking for other interesting figures/statues in any scale that are interesting interpretations of the alien. After all, with the Medi-alien, the NECA, McF and Aoshima figures, there's already some variety in pose-ability and accuracy in my collection, not to mention the HT figures.
I think that looking for the ultimate articulated 1/6 scale alien figure is a mirage.

We'll see.

However, if HT do listen to us and make a more accurate figure, I'll be overjoyed.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed dude!

I love my "diverse" collection! :joy

abake
07-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Trust me, you won't be disappointed dude!

I love my "diverse" collection! :joy

Dude, you're my inspiration! :chew

FACEBOX
07-29-2009, 07:24 PM

We'll see.

I know exactly what you mean.
For a while, I had the same outlook as you. (Happy with my McF, NECA, Aoshima, and Hot Toys figures)
I was looking for Hot Toys to make the "Ultimate" alien figures, however, after seeing what they did with the ALIENS figure, and then being let down by the prototype pix of the Dog Alien.... I went and bought all of the Sideshow dioramas. Hot Toys is a big let down in the alien department because I know what "could have, should have, would have" been.

Now, I basically see the dios as accurate incarnations of the creatures, while Hot Toys offers stylized, larger scale and highly articulated figures. Also, the rubber suit adds an extra "cool factor" too.

So, I know how you feel abake.
Welcome to the club. :cool:

PS. I also suggest getting some palisades pieces.

Jamesways
07-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Marmits. You must find the marmits.

CelticPredator
07-29-2009, 08:31 PM
No figure is perfect let's face it. But there's interpratations and then there's artistic interpratations. Imagine if Sideshow had thought to themselves "well Darth Vader's a great design but just doesn't look evil enough" and added a scar down his faceplate, horns and an eyepatch. :horror

Yes, but this Alien looks NOTHING LIKE ANY ALIEN IN ANY ALIEN MOVIE. PERIOD. FACT. END OF STORY.

Show me a movie where the Aliens head looked anything like that....

Darren Carnall
07-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Yes, but this Alien looks NOTHING LIKE ANY ALIEN IN ANY ALIEN MOVIE. PERIOD. FACT. END OF STORY.

yes. you're right. It looks nothing like an Alien. :rolleyes:

Jmek
07-30-2009, 04:50 AM

Dude, that's my point. Like the rest of you I was hoping against hope that HT wuld finally pull out all of the stops and produce the dfinitive A L I E N figure. No disrespect to the artist or HT as a company but they simply haven't done so.

Whether this is down to the mechanics involved with the jaw mechanism or licensing or what I don't know. If NECA,Marmit and Medicom can do it why on earth can't HT get it right. Their human figures and Predators are nigh on perfect so why? :confused:

Still let's see what happens. If memory serves the first Alien from AVP actually looked a lot better than the initial prototype.

Les Walker
07-30-2009, 09:36 AM
I am not surprised from some of you fellas, Abake for one, who have such a vested interest in this figure, and it's adherance to total accuracy, but that may not be possible with the rubber and the tongue parts. BUT, that being said, I still plan on getting this REALLY COOL FIGURE, and simply reworking the teeth to my specs, as well as the hand and even the under dome area. If that dome is removable, I will have at it. If not, I will just darken what you can see anyway.

Here are some pics to tide you guys over, and to just add to the debate and image cache

With more closed lips... (love the thin and somewhat bendy looking wrists...)
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/Leswalker_2009/ALIEN000.jpg

With Giger himself (nore how dark the "eye" area is anyway...can't even see em...)
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/Leswalker_2009/ALIEN001.jpg

And a good study of the Rambaldi mouth workings...(and the eyes again)
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/Leswalker_2009/ALIENrambaldihead1.jpg

All to say, fix the teeth, darken the dome (and maybe more of the facial area), and fix the fingers, and I am done. LOVE what this HT figure looks like so far. If it's improved before I get mine, so much the better. Either way, I am getting one.

Indiana Fett
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
...All to say, fix the teeth, darken the dome (and maybe more of the facial area), and fix the fingers, and I am done. LOVE what this HT figure looks like so far. If it's improved before I get mine, so much the better. Either way, I am getting one.

:rock :rock :rock

Slipfilth321
07-30-2009, 10:22 AM
i have to have this Alien it looks so beautiful HT has done a great job i realy
like it :rock

Batty
07-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Anyone know about this?

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8176/ap20090730114751398.jpg (http://img74.imageshack.us/i/ap20090730114751398.jpg/)

laudanum09
07-30-2009, 11:09 AM
All to say, fix the teeth, darken the dome (and maybe more of the facial area), and fix the fingers, and I am done. LOVE what this HT figure looks like so far. If it's improved before I get mine, so much the better. Either way, I am getting one.

I hear you on this, but for me all they need to fix are the evil eyes. Make them more circular and I could live with the teeth and all of the other inaccuracies. Part of what I loved about the Alien design was being able to see the eyes through the dome, not clearly but in the haze you could make out those eyes and it just made it that much creepier having those two empty black sockets there staring back at you. It seems counter-intuitive but the eyes are one of my favorite parts of Alien and its what sets him apart from all the warrior drones and the Dragon, so I could live with inaccurate fingers and wimpy teeth. To each his own however.

Anyways, do you think it would be a difficult mod to pop off the dome and fix the eyes myself if HT doesn't change them?

Sabres21768
07-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Anyone know about this?

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8176/ap20090730114751398.jpg (http://img74.imageshack.us/i/ap20090730114751398.jpg/)

Now that looks interesting.

I don't like the superdeform stuff, but if it's in that pose, I'M GETTIN' IT!

DSD
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
That's all great Les, and I'm sure you'll do a cracking job, but sadly I have no skill in this area and so would be stuck with the figure out of the box, were I to buy it.

I mean, look at those chrome gnashers in those Rambaldi pix. That's what we want!

Praetorian380
07-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Now that looks interesting.

I don't like the superdeform stuff, but if it's in that pose, I'M GETTIN' IT!

My sentiments exactly, that would look awesome if its in that pose

abake
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I am not surprised from some of you fellas, Abake for one, who have such a vested interest in this figure, and it's adherance to total accuracy, but that may not be possible with the rubber and the tongue parts. BUT, that being said, I still plan on getting this REALLY COOL FIGURE, and simply reworking the teeth to my specs, as well as the hand and even the under dome area. If that dome is removable, I will have at it. If not, I will just darken what you can see anyway.

Here are some pics to tide you guys over, and to just add to the debate and image cache

With more closed lips... (love the thin and somewhat bendy looking wrists...)
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/Leswalker_2009/ALIEN000.jpg

With Giger himself (nore how dark the "eye" area is anyway...can't even see em...)
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/Leswalker_2009/ALIEN001.jpg

And a good study of the Rambaldi mouth workings...(and the eyes again)
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/Leswalker_2009/ALIENrambaldihead1.jpg

Fantastic pics Les, they really show-off the beautiful lips of the alien!

a-dev
07-30-2009, 04:54 PM
I hear you on this, but for me all they need to fix are the evil eyes. Make them more circular and I could live with the teeth and all of the other inaccuracies. Part of what I loved about the Alien design was being able to see the eyes through the dome, not clearly but in the haze you could make out those eyes and it just made it that much creepier having those two empty black sockets there staring back

I don't remember ever seeing the eye sockets underneath the dome in the film, maybe the contrast levels on my TVs have always hid it. So that part has never seemed important to me. What can be seen, frequently and in intimate closeup, is the Alien's mouth - I'm pretty sure the DVD extras go on about this emphasis on the creature's mouth. So thats why the dog alien is a failure to me and likewise this one. The mouth and teeth just have to be right.

ironwez20
07-30-2009, 07:35 PM
i got a question the smooth head on the chap alien means thats its old or does it mean its young i keep forgetting.

FACEBOX
07-30-2009, 08:54 PM
i got a question the smooth head on the chap alien means thats its old or does it mean its young i keep forgetting.

Well, all aliens are "born" with smooth heads, so based off your question I have to say it's "young".

ironwez20
07-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, all aliens are "born" with smooth heads, so based off your question I have to say it's "young".

so are the one with the none smooth head are old right

FACEBOX
07-30-2009, 09:07 PM
so are the one with the none smooth head are old right

Yep. :cool:

AVP-R completely ruins that theory, but AVP-R ruins everything alien, so I don't think it counts.

ironwez20
07-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Yep. :cool:

AVP-R completely ruins that theory, but AVP-R ruins everything alien, so I don't think it counts.

yea thanks i was trying to figure that out because those aliens wernt born very long and the had rough heads so that was confusing so i guess avp R was mistaken.

cerebus23
07-30-2009, 09:42 PM
well the description of the promo labels it a WIP, i would reserve any judgments on the paint and details till we see some more final production ready shots.

the alien from the first film gave me nightmares when i was kid, i really hope they get the silver teeth down and the skull under the dome more accurate because i know i had enough reoccuring dreams of that head shot with the "lips" opening and them teeth exposing with the slime running out and them inner teeth extending. would be awsome to own the thing that haunted my dreams for years.

and pro tip don't let an 9 year old kid watch this movie in the dark lol.

laudanum09
07-30-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't remember ever seeing the eye sockets underneath the dome in the film, maybe the contrast levels on my TVs have always hid it. So that part has never seemed important to me. What can be seen, frequently and in intimate closeup, is the Alien's mouth - I'm pretty sure the DVD extras go on about this emphasis on the creature's mouth. So thats why the dog alien is a failure to me and likewise this one. The mouth and teeth just have to be right.

you can definitely see the eyes on the movie, it's not very clear but they're there and visible. It's just a personal preference for me though and what you're saying makes much more sense. It'd be much better for everyone I think if they'd just correct the mouth and we can fog up the dome and the eyes wont be an issue but for me the eyes are just what I enjoyed most about the alien and that's first on the list of corrections for me.

I have a feeling that they'll definitely make some tweaks at the least. HT have been getting pretty good about changing things lately and I think what they did with the Connor sculpt is the best example of that.

prefused
07-31-2009, 12:07 AM

i'd like to see one thread that was ever posted on this message board that directly effected the final look of a mass produced figure from ht.
because i think they could give a ^^^^ what anyone posts here.

back on topic - this figure is lame. it still has the ^^^^ed up mouth that all their aliens have had so far. which tells me the final version will look just as bad.

Dinosoar Daz
07-31-2009, 12:16 AM
we can fog up the dome.

I envy you your skill. I've never modded any model I've owned and shudder to think of the mess I would make to this $150 baby! :horror
And I have a sneaky suspicion there will be a variant edition complete with fogged dome after we have all bought this edition!!!

DSD
07-31-2009, 01:19 AM
you can definitely see the eyes on the movie, it's not very clear but they're there and visible.

Really? I've yet to see a still frame of an actual shot in the movie in which the skull or eye sockets are visible. A vague smudge perhaps, but nothing else, and it certainly can't be seen when the film is running.

laudanum09
07-31-2009, 03:58 AM
yeah, next time you watch the film keep an eye out and you'll catch them a few times. Yes smudges and somewhat vague but you can see them for sure if you keep an eye out. I see the sockets, nostrils and even the shape of the skull here.
http://www.markta.co.uk/alien/screens14/alien_355.JPG

Shai
07-31-2009, 04:03 AM
I thought he looked very good in Pitus video from the con.

DSD
07-31-2009, 05:54 AM
yeah, next time you watch the film keep an eye out and you'll catch them a few times. Yes smudges and somewhat vague but you can see them for sure if you keep an eye out. I see the sockets, nostrils and even the shape of the skull here.
http://www.markta.co.uk/alien/screens14/alien_355.JPG

Hmmm. I'll have to give you that one, as I can just about make out the skull but really - it's more of a smudge unless you know what you're looking for. You can barely see anything really.

The point is that if you sit down and watch the film without pausing it, you won't see the skull, and paused stills that show the skull at all are, well...I've only seen that one so far, and stills that show it as clearly as some of the figures like the Neca one do are precisely zero.

DSD
07-31-2009, 05:55 AM
I thought he looked very good in Pitus video from the con.

Got a link?

laudanum09
07-31-2009, 06:30 AM
Yeah DSD, I agree to an extent, I think if you're looking for it without pausing it you can still see them, but yes they are blurry. It's not that big of a deal, it's just something that's absent on any other aliens and so I would really like it if they got that unique feature correct first...but the more I look at it the teeth are really bugging me. Practically I think now that the mouth fix should be a priority. It's strange how there are no shots of the mandibles though. At least we know it's a work in progress and knowing HT they'll improve on some of the elements at least.

Shai
07-31-2009, 06:33 AM
Got a link?

http://projectpitu.wordpress.com/2009/07/29/hot-toys-alien-big-chap-closer-look/

laudanum09
07-31-2009, 06:40 AM
wow mouth doesn't look that bad in that vid.

DSD
07-31-2009, 08:00 AM
It's still pretty bad. He's all gums and no teeth, and if you compare it to the picture you posted we can see just how wrong it is.

It reminds me of this:

http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/FamilyGuyHerbert.jpg

The way the chin sticks out and the teeth don't fill out the whole mouth area.

Kuzeh
07-31-2009, 09:36 AM
A Few new pics from Toy-World @ Ani Com...

http://www.e-seetoy.com/photo/kimsiuman/anihk2009/IMG_8700.JPG

http://www.e-seetoy.com/photo/kimsiuman/anihk2009/IMG_8702.JPG

http://www.e-seetoy.com/photo/kimsiuman/anihk2009/IMG_8732.JPG

Reinhardt
07-31-2009, 09:42 AM
It's not accurate, but I still love it.

Jmek
07-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Those shots really accentuate the peg-teeth. The "eye" extrusion should really be a lot further down and closer to the mouth as well. Apart from that spiffy!

Batty
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Pics of the vinyl figure from Toy World-

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8876/2009073145c9818eb5c48dc.jpg (http://img73.imageshack.us/i/2009073145c9818eb5c48dc.jpg/)

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8475/20090731cd5c5a4153738b1.jpg (http://img188.imageshack.us/i/20090731cd5c5a4153738b1.jpg/)

MaulFan
07-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Dare I say the skull eyes might be more accurrate on that :lol

Batty
07-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Dare I say the skull eyes might be more accurrate on that :lol

Yes. :lol

This thing looks pretty big compared to the other figures.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8310/43131043.jpg (http://img196.imageshack.us/i/43131043.jpg/)

pjam
07-31-2009, 10:30 AM
A Few new pics from Toy-World @ Ani Com...

http://www.e-seetoy.com/photo/kimsiuman/anihk2009/IMG_8700.JPG

http://www.e-seetoy.com/photo/kimsiuman/anihk2009/IMG_8702.JPG

http://www.e-seetoy.com/photo/kimsiuman/anihk2009/IMG_8732.JPG

Thanks Kuzeh. :D

Gotta fix those baby teeth, gums, mouth and see through dome. Then it might be aight.

darren1228
07-31-2009, 10:58 AM

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8876/2009073145c9818eb5c48dc.jpg (http://img73.imageshack.us/i/2009073145c9818eb5c48dc.jpg/)

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8475/20090731cd5c5a4153738b1.jpg (http://img188.imageshack.us/i/20090731cd5c5a4153738b1.jpg/)

I like the look of that vinyl a lot!! Oh boy....are we gonna be seeing Predator vinyls as well?

abake
07-31-2009, 10:58 AM
The mouth and teeth really do look terrible...
I'm digging the small dude!

DSD
07-31-2009, 12:53 PM
The teeth are better on the vinyl!

Jmek
07-31-2009, 01:08 PM
The teeth are better on the vinyl!

This is true. So why not do the same on the big chap? :confused:

In fact the vinyl looks more accurate on the whole.:banghead

icruise
07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
I wonder if the vinyl figure is articulated at all, or is it stuck in that pose?

Sabres21768
07-31-2009, 08:12 PM
I wonder if the vinyl figure is articulated at all, or is it stuck in that pose?

I'm sure it'll be stuck in that pose.

tylerdurden
07-31-2009, 08:28 PM

i LOVE the vinyl! it's frickin cute. :D

and the pose is hilarious. he seems to be looking at his own "little alien" if u know what i mean. :lol

Praetorian380
07-31-2009, 08:51 PM

Im really diggin the look of this vinyl. Would like to see more pics of it once its finally released, but im already thinking its a must buy.

lordmasterprince
08-01-2009, 08:19 PM
This vinyl is based on the artwork you see at the background , which is done by a Hong Kong comic artist.

lordmasterprince
08-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Great news for all the disappointed ALIEN fans , including myself. Check this out ! This is supposed to be about 90% finished .

http://us.f6.yahoofs.com/hkblog/0g4z__DOT__Q__DOT__LCRjazsS9AANa__DOT__w--_3/blog/20090801115016104.jpg?ib_____D0gAwfrRx

MaulFan
08-01-2009, 08:25 PM
If this is an actual product and not a Photoshop job, then yeah, it'd be great news, love have 100% confirmation on the legitimacy of the image.

http://pic.actoys.net/attachment/Mon_0908/127_9446_f2c4b6903564287.jpg

lordmasterprince
08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
It is not a photoshop job. Look at the two pictures, there are taken at different angles. I think HT did correct most of the problems on the first version. That's a great news for us!

Praetorian380
08-01-2009, 08:39 PM
If this is an actual product and not a Photoshop job, then yeah, it'd be great news, love have 100% confirmation on the legitimacy of the image.

I agree - I hope this is real

DARK-SIDE
08-01-2009, 08:43 PM

this picture was took from HT's shop !!!not a toy show.
I just get the info from actoys.net.
and,what is that ? a switch on the back of the head???

icruise
08-01-2009, 08:44 PM
That's for the tongue.

MaulFan
08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
and,what is that ? a switch on the back of the head???

Yes, all the Hot Toys Alien figures have a lever in the back that you push forward to slide the inner jaw out and open the outter jaws, though it's more apparent on the Big Chap than any previous figure.

plasmid303
08-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh wow the dome looks good! Is that the only change?

lordmasterprince
08-01-2009, 08:57 PM
From the picture looks like the jaw, teeth, inner skull and the hand have been changed.

lordmasterprince
08-01-2009, 08:59 PM
But the ribbed wrist band is still too short. It should be extended more to the hand side.

MaulFan
08-01-2009, 09:25 PM
But the ribbed wrist band is still too short. It should be extended more to the hand side.

If you mean touching the hand, it doesn't because you'd have no aritculation if they did that, you can see the ball from the wrist joint.

Sabres21768
08-01-2009, 09:38 PM
HOT DAMN!

HELL YEAH HOT TOYS!

I'm now super excited for this fig!

darren1228
08-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Great news for all the disappointed ALIEN fans , including myself. Check this out ! This is supposed to be about 90% finished .

http://us.f6.yahoofs.com/hkblog/0g4z__DOT__Q__DOT__LCRjazsS9AANa__DOT__w--_3/blog/20090801115016104.jpg?ib_____D0gAwfrRx

Thanks for the update dude!! It looks so much better.

furystorm
08-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Just waiting for my rewards points to pop over $100, and I will be ordering the Big Chap from Sideshow. Should be a very nice addition and an integral part of my display, to go along with Kane, Dallas, Ripley in Lucky Star, Lambert in spacesuit (I gotta have Lambert!), and the whole crew done in regular attire as well. Bring it!

laudanum09
08-01-2009, 10:00 PM
holy crap. With the Connor recall and updates, the complete resculpt of Marcus, and everything else that's been going on, I have a newfound faith in hot toys. I never really touted any fanboy stuff before but I have to say they really are the best at what they do right now. Bravo.

edit: I'm really curious now, WTF was up with the original head? Was it just a work in progress they threw out there to show what they've been up to? I just don't understand why they couldn't have nailed it the first time because the head looks perfect in these new shots...were they responding to criticism or was it enough for them to just look at it and realize it was wrong? I really wish we had more info on how stuff worked behind the scenes and how much direct impact our criticism has on these changes and how much of it is internal.

PredatorFreak13
08-01-2009, 10:08 PM
I wasn't sure if I was going to get this before, but after seeing these pics I definately am.

DeadLeaves
08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Wow, looks much better.

Just some observations from the background pic: The teeth/head from the show model. Plus, is that a ship I see there too? Or just the base?

*edit* Yeah, just the base.

Jmek
08-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Woha! That's much, much better. Well done HT, SOLD! :D

tylerdurden
08-02-2009, 12:50 AM

ahh, another example of ht listening to collector feedback and acting quickly on it. good job, the face looks much better now. (assuming the pic is genuine of course...)

but the ugly seam running along the back of the dome is still way too obvious to me.

DSD
08-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Sales +1!

Assuming it's genuine of course.

P.
08-02-2009, 01:12 AM

teeth are bull^^^^.
skull is too far from a dome.
dome is not cloudy white.
HT never checked movie character. they just checked fan' photoshops.
they are not going to make this alien normal.
p.s. i don't care as it is resin.

laudanum09
08-02-2009, 01:23 AM
good job at not making any sense. resin? too far from a dome? not a cloudy white?

P.
08-02-2009, 02:59 AM
too far from a dome?forehead should be closer. and here it is like on all alien toys.

not a cloudy white?totally transparent dome is like all toys.

resin?covering material... i thought it would be a plastic figure. i mean that as it is not so, i stopped to care how close or far from the original this alien would be. now the head is the same crap as in the beginning, but fans don't care as they don't see it and i don't care because i won't like a resin figure :)

p.s. it is an opinion of only one person and should not be taken into consideration :) one cannot be right against many, and many people like the "refreshed alien".

A.L.I.E.N
08-02-2009, 05:01 AM
teeth are bull^^^^.
skull is too far from a dome.
dome is not cloudy white.
HT never checked movie character. they just checked fan' photoshops.
they are not going to make this alien normal.
p.s. i don't care as it is resin.

I know HT crank out some really accurate stuff these days! Maybe we have been spoilt with quality recently. Were they have gone wrong they have gone to lenghts other companies would not. John Connor head sculpt in particualr, other companies may/probably have said "Live with it! We have your money! We don't care!". Fair enough they have a company rep to keep up but it's rare to find a company thats maybe putting the customer first. Not profit, now im not saying profit is'nt a factor when making a figure but they do their best to replicate a movie legend ithin reason.

As A L I E N fans, we may feel let down. I understand, im a bit of a perfectionist myself! The Alien in the movie was changed, slightly, to make use of angles and effects. We seem to be forgeting they are replicating a seven ft tall creature into a hand held version that we can display. It's a given some detail maybe lost, sculpts may not be perfect. They are dealing with a creature thats: a movie legend, cult icon and object of terror! Alot of pressure is on their shoulders. We seem to forget also this is a prototype, not 100% finished. Look at Marcus for god sake! how many times did they change things on him?

My two cents.......

shockwave
08-02-2009, 05:33 AM
I like it! Better than the prototype. It would be nice if HT updated their site w/the revised pics. :D

P.
08-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Fair enough they have a company rep to keep up but it's rare to find a company thats maybe putting the customer first.i totally agree that their figures are the most accurate. for a long time i disliked 1/6, but when i started getting it, i chose HT, and it says much.

the only thing that bothers me now is rumors that the alien will have rubber body. i hate this idea :(
if they just made it plastic, they would do such a great thing. i just don't believe their rubber after muscle bodies and after ED-209.

i actually wanted to delete my bad posts here, but they were already read and answered by others, so it would be silly.
no, i disliked HT recently but now i respect them alot. i think i will get this alien just to honor the job they did to remake it after customers' complaints. even if i don't like rubber. don't know why i was so angry in my previous opinion :)

furystorm
08-02-2009, 07:51 AM
If you don't like rubber, you could always try the "rhythm method."

Sorry, potty humor this morning! But I am really excited about the Big Chap!

Reinhardt
08-02-2009, 08:27 AM

:lol :lol :lol

Darth_Thorpe
08-02-2009, 08:56 AM
this looks great, yeah its prob not 100% right, but what model we have is 100% right, but these keep me alive, i love looking at all these models and think of fond memorys of the films

Wor-Gar
08-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Better, still not right though. But better.

Glad to see some improvement, IF this is genuine.

Predrhone
08-02-2009, 12:00 PM
That looks Alien to me... it finally gives the right aura... can't wait for some more photos from different angles.

icruise
08-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I was about to cancel my order for this and then I saw the newest picture. Now I think I'll keep it. I'd probably be satisfied if it looked like that.

a-dev
08-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd like to see a front-on view and shots of the tongue extended. The dome could still stand to be whiter. I know they want to show off detail underneath but I'd rather the dome be coloured correctly and be less translucent. The teeth and 'bite' look improved, but a few different angles would help me say for sure if I'm gonna get this one or not.

Minimodel
08-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Thats what she said...

furystorm
08-02-2009, 05:09 PM
oh... that did come out wrong

damn, I did it again. what is wrong with me today? :rotfl

qweqwe
08-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Honestly, I never liked medicom but Ive gotta say theirs is far more superior to HT's (height and fingers aside)

DPrime
08-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Looks a lot better to me.

I can live with the seam - it's not going to be displayed like a profile shot, and it IS a toy after all, not a statue. Still, I do hope they lose it... Teeth don't bother me at all.

torque6
08-03-2009, 06:23 AM
yea, it looks alot better in terms of realism.

abake
08-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Well, the face looks mucho better now, still not accurate though.
The lips look wrong and they gave the poor thing too many teeth! And the skull does seem to be too far back.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/abake_2007/movies%20and%20props/alien1.jpg

I suppose getting this profile right must be tough, but see how the upper lip almost disappears into the edge of the dome?
I think that is the main reason why it looks off: the face (from the profile) is too long.
See the number of teeth? The extra teeth in the HT figure make the mouth look too wide.
See where the tendons actually connect? (obviously, you can't reproduce the tendons exactly, but the placement and disposition should be possible to replicate.)

Oh, and the extra ribbing on the arms is still there, so I suppose the extra stuff on the lower legs also is there.

Kudos to HT for giving it another shot, but it's still not there. Close, but still not there.

MaulFan
08-03-2009, 09:10 AM
see how the upper lip almost disappears into the edge of the dome?

Was it always like that or just when the lip pulled back for the mouth opening shots.

a-dev
08-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm inclined to agree with Abake. It still looks off and I see what he means about that profile and the upper 'lip'. Still not feeling this, though to be honest the sheer amount of money I'm spending these days is also factoring into my thinking. I.E. that I am almost hoping for reasons to pass on it.

IrishJedi
08-03-2009, 10:21 AM
These threads are :lol

CelticPredator
08-03-2009, 03:17 PM
So are the GI JOE threads. :lol

The mouth still sucks, and that is the most iconic and imporant part of the Alien.

RIDDICK
08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1480/pr9fyd489yg.jpg

Try more, HotToys! You must!!!

SilentSurfer
08-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Great pic of the movie prop! Looks like the hose coming off the back of the jaw also needs to come from lower down where the jaw just starts to curve upward.

Devil_666
08-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Have these new pics been confirmed yet? I haven't seen them anywhere else and haven't seen any word from HT about them!?

PredatorFreak13
08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Alright guys, here is my attempt to make it look more like the movie prop.
Before and After
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/stealthedceltic/Comp1-1.jpg

Is there anything I can try to improve on to make it better?

tankman
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Where are some of you getting these great pics of the Alien? I thought I had some good reference saved over the years. I wish I was doing the Alien sculpt again because I've learned more about this great monster. What I see of the HT Alien is the fact not one area on it is accurate. It's still cool but man what could have been. I will say trying to make this thing accurate is very hard to do. As a huge fan of Alien it's only been in the last few years that pics have come out to really show what it looks like. HT I think just didn't want to put the time in on the sculpting part. They did what most sculptors and companies do. That is there take but it would have been great to get a dead on figure this time. Maybe one day NECA will go 1 6th and get all of it dead on.

Sabres21768
08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Before and After

That looks great!

Man, if HT could pull that off...I'd be in Alien collectible heaven. :angelsmil

And yeah Kyle...NECA should DEFINATELY go 1:6 for ALL versions of the Alien.
We'd love to see you guys tackle the Alien Warrior and Alien3 creature in a larger (or even small for the A3) scale.

tankman
08-04-2009, 04:59 PM
That looks great!

Man, if HT could pull that off...I'd be in Alien collectible heaven. :angelsmil

And yeah Kyle...NECA should DEFINATELY go 1:6 for ALL versions of the Alien.
We'd love to see you guys tackle the Alien Warrior and Alien3 creature in a larger (or even small for the A3) scale.

That would be great and this stuff sells so well that we might do something like that. I would like to sculpt in the details under the Alien's dome because China made a wreck out of that. All the figures that went the route that we did I think went the wrong way. They all look crappy and it would be better to sculpt it in. I would like very much to do that and tweak a few things. Most of the tweaks would be really small but I just want the figure to look perfect. As a fun I was hoping this HT figure would be accurate but it's about what I thought it would be. An accurate Alien I would buy in a heartbeat but another artist take makes me think well maybe not.

MaulFan
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
One thing that dissappointed me on the NECA, the skull under the dome looks like most of the detail is painted lines, almost looking like a sharpie, not sculpted.

tankman
08-04-2009, 05:25 PM
One thing that dissappointed me on the NECA, the skull under the dome looks like most of the detail is painted lines, almost looking like a sharpie, not sculpted.

Yes it does look like crap and the way to go is to sculpt them in. Even though the real one was painted on and not sculpted Giger did the painting on it. China never would get that one right. Really our figure is missing some grey and tan highlight paint hits that would make it look really great.

CelticPredator
08-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Kyle save us Alien fans. Make a definitive 1/6 scale Alien please. :D

holtrax
08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
:lol looks like ht didn't get image rights for the alien......

Sabres21768
08-04-2009, 07:24 PM
That would be great and this stuff sells so well that we might do something like that. I would like to sculpt in the details under the Alien's dome because China made a wreck out of that. All the figures that went the route that we did I think went the wrong way. They all look crappy and it would be better to sculpt it in. I would like very much to do that and tweak a few things. Most of the tweaks would be really small but I just want the figure to look perfect. As a fun I was hoping this HT figure would be accurate but it's about what I thought it would be. An accurate Alien I would buy in a heartbeat but another artist take makes me think well maybe not.

Yeah, you need to let your boss know that this is an untapped market.

There's money out here just WAITING for an accurate 1:6 scale version of these creatures.

DSD
08-05-2009, 02:00 AM

Really interesting pics, but are we sure we're comparing like with like? Don't forget that there were several versions of the Alien head made for the film, the stunt head in particular being quite different.

Kapital
08-05-2009, 02:10 AM
Before and After

Amazing work. Specially the rounded clear dome and the mouth.

Hope Hot Toys made the changes. Is outstanding and amazing. :banana

laudanum09
08-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Yeah wow, great work...I wonder if those teeth are a hindrance to the jaws coming out? I mean how much can they force the rubber jaw open without risking it tearing? Oh well, I think what they have already is a good balance to keep the jaw function working but I agree it could be better. The color as is however is fine. Under similar lighting conditions that's pretty close to how the real suit looked, it's just that we never see it lit that way in the film.

abake
08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Kyle, you have to get your bosses to understand that if NECA makes 1/6 versions of the aliens they will sell like crazy!

As for the different versions of the head and suit, it is true that there were differences from one to the next, but that's were the careful studying of all the available photos comes in. The above reference is the stunt head, and you can see how the whole cheek and tendons part is simplified. Also, it looks kinda thin because of the lack of the neck.
All in all, I wouldn't really use that one as reference for the head or face/lips...

DSD
08-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Is that really the stunt head? It looks different to me, or at least those photos of the stunt suit from that auction a few years back look different to that shot above.

What were the main heads used again? A "Hero" head with all Rambaldi's working parts, the "large" head used when Bolaji was in the suit, and the stunt head? Are there any comparison shots from similar perspectives?

The Hot Toys head doesn't really look like any of them, but the dome seems to be the shorter stunt version to me.