Desilu
07-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Woot!! So excited.

IronFingaz
07-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Great!!!! Another Queen b^^^^ for the Disney collection :rock

tomandshell
07-25-2009, 07:08 PM
I actually like her a lot more than the one in Snow White--Maleficent is really the archetypical evil queen in my opinion, and Sleeping Beauty is one of my very favorite Disney animated films.

Agent0028
07-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't think Maleficent is a queen. And I'm very excited about this PF.

tomandshell
07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I guess she curses the king and queen, and is not a literal queen herself. But she is an honorary Queen of Darkness or Evil or Whatever.

Agent0028
07-25-2009, 07:31 PM
I can buy that explanation. I think Queen of the Villains may be the best title though, sicne she is often the leader of the villains. Well at least in Kingdom Heart and Fantasmic. :lol

tomandshell
07-25-2009, 07:40 PM
That's what I'm thinking. When I think of a wicked Disney villainess, she's the first to come to mind.

creature4000
07-25-2009, 07:40 PM
This is great news... I wasn't sure they were doing a villian line.

theguru1
07-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Well, I think we all knew this one was coming, along with the couple of live action ones.

I was however a little bummed over the video announcement that no hints or previews of Jessica, Belle, Beast, Ariel, etc.

As great as this and the Evil Queen will be, I hope from an animated point of view, that the villain line won't just be it.

dunedain
07-26-2009, 04:48 AM
Great!!!! Another Queen b^^^^ for the Disney collection :rock
Couldn't describe it any better IronFingaz!

DVDVampire
07-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Badass. I hope she'll be next.

If they're focus initially on Villians then hopefully Cruella Deville, Jafar, Captain Hook, and Ursula aren't far behind. I'd also like to see maquettes done a Scar and Shere Khan.

dudu
07-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I want Scar & Jafar

Kaijuboy
07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
She will so be MINE! :banana

Beerbelly Bob
07-26-2009, 03:08 PM
This should be a real good one. Very intimidating villainess.

Darth Waller
07-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Bring it on, Sideshow! :rock

http://blogs.families.com/media/1426capture_sleepingbeauty12.jpg

Darklord Dave
07-26-2009, 09:02 PM
They said they're concentrating on the villains and the live action for now. The "pretty" pieces (i.e. "heroes") will come later.

Aerosmith
07-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Hopefully since they are concentrating on Villains I won't have to wait long for Captain Hook, Hades, and GASTON.

Eli26
07-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I wanted this in PF form. Oh man, this blows. I hate this new Disney line!

The Mike
07-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Honestly after Maleficent PF the one I'm looking most forward to is Jafar

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs7/300W/i/2005/233/4/4/Disney_Villains_by_AladdinsFan.jpg

After that I'd love to see Captain Hook, The Queen of Hearts, Ursula and Scar.

Agent0028
07-27-2009, 08:30 AM
They said they're concentrating on the villains and the live action for now. The "pretty" pieces (i.e. "heroes") will come later.

Aww, I'm looking forward to some Heroes too. But the villains will tide me over for awhile. I guess I should be glad they're doing some live action and not Heroes and villains all together, this will give me a little breathing room. I wonder what other live action pieces they will do? Mary Poppins would be awesome!

SSC_Nerd
07-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Do you think Who Framed Roger Rabbit comes with the Disney license? You'd think the rights might be a little complicated since there are both Warner and Disney characters in it, but those Roger Rabbit figures from Electric Tiki have "Disney" stamped on them. In any case.... would it be TOO strange if they stick Doom into these PF villains? WFRR is one of my favorite movies, and a awesome Doom figure would be awesome. Exclusive version headsculpt without hat and red eyes?!?! Also, with Sparrow on the way, does this mean we have Barbossa and potentially Davy Jones on the way? OOOOoooooo...

Agent0028
07-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Roger Rabbit is considered a Disney character. I don't know all the legal issues of right and ownership and all that stuff, but he's definitely a Disney character. And if I recall correctly there were several pictures of Jessica Rabbit in Sideshow's Disney license announcement video.

Sithlord1975
07-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah I at least know Roger Rabbit is considered Disney. He's all over the place at Walt Disney World.

Agent23
07-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah I at least know Roger Rabbit is considered Disney. He's all over the place at Walt Disney World.

Well, maybe he was. But, I just got back from Disney World, and I only saw him and Jessica maybe 1 or 2 times....

forestlite
07-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Well, maybe he was. But, I just got back from Disney World, and I only saw him and Jessica maybe 1 or 2 times....

I think there was some friction with Spielberg's Amblin company over right issues. Disney began to cut back on the usage of the character stemming from the disagreements....

forestlite
07-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Aww, I'm looking forward to some Heroes too. But the villains will tide me over for awhile. I guess I should be glad they're doing some live action and not Heroes and villains all together, this will give me a little breathing room. I wonder what other live action pieces they will do? Mary Poppins would be awesome!

I second that motion...a Mary Poppins PF would be awesome! I would even spring for a ^^^^ Van Dyke Bert to accompany her.

djsosharp
08-05-2009, 10:47 PM
This pretty much has to be added to the now-alarming collection of Maleficents my wife and I have. Between that and Star Wars our house is turning into a junk shop.

SSC_Nerd
12-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Video was just posted of her in 12 Days of Christmas.
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/_lib/php/video-generic-player_630x354.php?videoFile=/media/flv/general/Malifacent PF Inside Look-BSP_FLV..flv&KeepThis=true&

Darth Madden
12-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Cool... maybe I will get a Jafar soon. :)

SSC_Nerd
12-31-2009, 10:49 AM
So right now, they've shown 2 Disney figures that they showed concept art for in the SDCC teaser video, so perhaps we'll see Jack Sparrow as well, since they seemed to have been working on that one for a while. What other characters were talked about in that video we haven't seen yet?

Darth Waller
12-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Looks like a great PF. I love what they did with the base! :rock

daikkenaurora
12-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Cool... maybe I will get a Jafar soon. :)

Jafar would be badass.

Maleficent PF looks pretty good so far. Not sure about the face though but its probably because I need more pics. The base on the other hand is unbelievable. Its fantastic. DAMN!

Khev
12-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Judging from the concept art behind the WIP sculpture the exclusive accessory will be one of her orc henchmen. Sweet.

jlprjlpr
12-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Excellent! Maleficient will be a great addition to the Disney Premium Format series. She looks very good so far.

choopie
12-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I like it so far, especially the base. Sideshow is outdoing itself on the PF bases as of late. And I especially like that Sideshow is focusing on classic Disney first when they could have easily produced figures from the more current releases to launch the line.

LOTRFan
12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
The base is beautiful, I think it will be a purchase for my daughter's room.

Agent0028
12-31-2009, 01:35 PM
This looks to be another awesome piece for the Disney PF line...

The base for her and Chernabog is really awesome. Evil Queen's is too but it would bug me that hers doesn't match the others. But that's my OCD talking.

Entropy
12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Costume, pose and base all look amazing! My gripe is the jaw looks a little thick from the video. Mal looked a bit pointier and attractive than the sculpt is looking to me. Maybe it will look slimmer with some paint.

Darth Waller
12-31-2009, 04:09 PM
The base for her and Chernabog is really awesome. Evil Queen's is too but it would bug me that hers doesn't match the others. But that's my OCD talking.

I'm actually not liking the Evil Queen's base as much anymore after seeing the bases for Chernabog and Maleficent. It seems odd now that her base will be the box and not a "normal" PF base.

Star Puffs
12-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow. I am not a Disney fan, but I have a soft spot for green witches, being a huge fan of Elphaba Thropp, a.k.a. The Wicked Witch of the West. If I like the painted sculpt I will definitely try and pick up the regular edition of this piece.

Webb
12-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Pass thank you Sideshow...:)

theguru1
12-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Would have liked to seen a more full and complete prototype, but of what we did see, its looking fantastic. Having Maleficent and the Evil Queen side by side will be awesome, please Sideshow, don't stuff up the QC.

Good to see that the raven if part of the reg, you can see the reference drawing on the wall at the end of the video which includes one of Maleficent little side-kicks, no doubt that will be the Ex.

The Mike
12-31-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't think Maleficent is a queen. And I'm very excited about this PF.

Technically she is a fairy as she gets upset that she isn't invited like the other fairies Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.

I guess she curses the king and queen, and is not a literal queen herself. But she is an honorary Queen of Darkness or Evil or Whatever.

The line that Disney totes is that she is the Mistress of Darkness. :)

I'd also like to see maquettes done a Scar and Shere Khan.

Well we've seen through Chernabog that no matter what it looks like they'll call it a PF.

I wonder if the "pretty" pieces and the Heroes will be separated or in the same pool. I'd love to get a Prince Phillip dressed to fight Maleficent or Hercules or even Tarzan before any of the Princesses but that they'll have to be woven in because that is what people are expecting to a certain degree. I also wonder when the first animal character will appear....

Agent0028
12-31-2009, 10:21 PM
I'll be ecstatic if they do Robin Hood.

The Mike
12-31-2009, 10:27 PM
I would think Robin Hood if really well done would be like a Chewbacca. Sculpted fur would be fine but can you imagine if they could get "faux fur" working? That would really knock it out of the park.

ProgMatinee
12-31-2009, 10:40 PM
like their decision to layer the clothing to make it more real world

Agent0028
12-31-2009, 10:54 PM
I imagine Robin Hood would be easier than Chewbacca too since his fur is alot shorter. I don't know that I would want it though. I think keeping him and beast and others sculpted will make them seem more animated and less real world.

mwf6171
01-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I am really excited about Maleficent and the Evil Queen. I missed out on the Evil Queen and am on the wait list, not too confident it will convert, but I will definitely shoot for Maleficent!

Darklord Dave
01-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I imagine Robin Hood would be easier than Chewbacca too since his fur is alot shorter. I don't know that I would want it though. I think keeping him and beast and others sculpted will make them seem more animated and less real world.

I don't see them going with fur on a character like Robin Hood. As long as the costume is mixed media, I think that maintaining the look of the character would insist on having the body and head sculpted.

SSC_Nerd
01-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Dunno if it would be a viable investment, but I'm hoping for a Sark PF from Tron. Who knows with a sequel coming up...

spazzy
01-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Robin Hood would be awesome!!!

xr6.turbo
01-03-2010, 12:27 AM
This will be my first Disney piece and can't wait.

I have gone from predator to dinosauria and now disney.

Damn you sideshow :)

Agent0028
01-03-2010, 07:45 AM
:lol Yep that's the way it works.

mwf6171
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Any ideas when this will go up for order?? From the 12 days of Christmas video, it looks like it still has a way to go. I am new to this so I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

theguru1
01-11-2010, 01:37 AM
It can be hard to know, even when something does look ready, delays can hit.
However, having said that, it seems SS are moving pretty fast on the 12 days list, but given that Chernabog only just went up, my guess would be around March sometime (which is when the Evil Queen is expected to ship), for Maleifcent to ship in December. Making it the usual 9 months for a PF from pre-order to ship.

mwf6171
01-11-2010, 09:09 PM
It can be hard to know, even when something does look ready, delays can hit.
However, having said that, it seems SS are moving pretty fast on the 12 days list, but given that Chernabog only just went up, my guess would be around March sometime (which is when the Evil Queen is expected to ship), for Maleifcent to ship in December. Making it the usual 9 months for a PF from pre-order to ship.

Hey mate, what part of Oz do you live? I have a couple friends in Melbourne and Perth. My brother is taking holiday there in May and I am trying to talk my wife into going July 2011. :banana

theguru1
01-12-2010, 01:26 AM
I guess you could say I'm in the middle then, Adelaide.

mwf6171
01-12-2010, 09:32 AM
I guess you could say I'm in the middle then, Adelaide.

The City of Churches! Excellent, I know a young lady at the University I work at that is from Adelaide. Which footy team do you barrack for??

theguru1
01-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Hate to say it, but I don't follow the footy, couldn't care less, don't pay much attention to the cricket either, so much for that classic aussie icon.....

mwf6171
01-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Hate to say it, but I don't follow the footy, couldn't care less, don't pay much attention to the cricket either, so much for that classic aussie icon.....

LOL! No worries mate!! I am a Carlton Blues man myself, I hope to get to a match in the next couple years!!

tomandshell
01-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Any ideas when this will go up for order?? From the 12 days of Christmas video, it looks like it still has a way to go. I am new to this so I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

January 21st with the launch of the newsletter.

mwf6171
01-14-2010, 09:51 PM
January 21st with the launch of the newsletter.

Thanks mate!! :chew

agen_kolar
01-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I don't own any Disney Sideshow products, but Maleficent is my absolute favorite Disney Villain. Hm...

xr6.turbo
01-15-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't own any Disney Sideshow products, but Maleficent is my absolute favorite Disney Villain. Hm...

Same for me. This will be the only disney piece i'll get

theguru1
01-15-2010, 09:48 PM
I've sent an email to SS to ask why the preview pic has a much brighter green hand then she does in this screen grab I did from the DVD
http://8u8kmg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1prRwM3FrBr4s_NgR6Mhqg0try5p_ANKVzchbczFVr3qe5W9R yigLBY1ZibeSKExWDYRpp8DBrO5uSxOxzXSXusbYgIJwyEHog/Malifacent-sc.jpg

Darth Waller
01-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Good idea. She did look a little too green in the preview image.

mwf6171
01-15-2010, 10:03 PM
I have to work until 10 pm CST)on the 21st, what time do they usually put stuff up for order?

Agent0028
01-16-2010, 08:11 AM
I think about 7 PST, around 9ish your time. I don't think you'll have to worry about being right there for the PO. Even if it sells out (which I doubt) you can jump on the waitlist and you'll still get it.

Darklord Dave
01-16-2010, 07:16 PM

No one owns any Disney Sideshow product yet, the Evil Queen hasn't shipped. But Maleficent would be a good place to jump in. But you'll need the evil queen too. And those 2 would look mighty lonely without Chernabog...

(Make sure you use the affiliate link at the top of the page...):D

agen_kolar
01-16-2010, 10:41 PM
No one owns any Disney Sideshow product yet, the Evil Queen hasn't shipped. But Maleficent would be a good place to jump in. But you'll need the evil queen too. And those 2 would look mighty lonely without Chernabog...

(Make sure you use the affiliate link at the top of the page...):D

I wouldn't get Chernabog since I don't care for Fantasia. However, I do really like the Evil Queen PF. However Maleficent will have to be the one I get, if I ever do. She's my fave.

Agent0028
01-17-2010, 07:36 AM
How the hell can you not care for Fantasia?!?!

agen_kolar
01-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Well, technically that's a lie. I don't like MOST of Fantasia, but I do really like the dinosaur sequence. Most of the rest is meh for me, though.

mwf6171
01-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Never seen it. :rolleyes:

theguru1
01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
So I got a reply from SS about what looks like bright green skin compared to the screen shot.

Basically, submit the question to the production Q&A.

So, I've now done that and I guess we won't hear anything till it ships with bright green skin.

tomandshell
01-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Apparently, Tim Burton is talking about making a retelling of Sleeping Beauty--from the perspective of Maleficent. That would make this piece even more attractive if she's about to become the main character in a Tim Burton film.

mwf6171
01-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Apparently, Tim Burton is talking about making a retelling of Sleeping Beauty--from the perspective of Maleficent. That would make this piece even more attractive if she's about to become the main character in a Tim Burton film.

How is he going to get Johnny Depp in that movie? :lol

agen_kolar
01-20-2010, 09:12 AM

I don't think this new Maleficent would have the same effect unless she wore similar robes and a horned headdress.

blue_rogue
01-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Never seen it. :rolleyes:

I've never seen it either.

Actually, I only just saw Sleeping Beauty for the first time about three weeks ago. My GF and I watched it New Year's Eve.

I'll definitely check out Fantasia when it's released on Blu-ray later this year. :banana

JosephCPR
01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
I've never seen it either.

Actually, I only just saw Sleeping Beauty for the first time about three weeks ago. My GF and I watched it New Year's Eve.

I'll definitely check out Fantasia when it's released on Blu-ray later this year. :banana

You haven't seen any more Disney movies?!?!? Man what kind of childhood did you have? :lol:peace

blue_rogue
01-20-2010, 05:45 PM
You haven't seen any more Disney movies?!?!? Man what kind of childhood did you have? :lol:peace

I hadn't seen Snow White until it was released on Blu-ray either. :o

I saw most of the other classics when I was a kid though. :p

Sithlord1975
01-20-2010, 10:57 PM
I've sent an email to SS to ask why the preview pic has a much brighter green hand then she does in this screen grab I did from the DVD
http://8u8kmg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1prRwM3FrBr4s_NgR6Mhqg0try5p_ANKVzchbczFVr3qe5W9R yigLBY1ZibeSKExWDYRpp8DBrO5uSxOxzXSXusbYgIJwyEHog/Malifacent-sc.jpg

Maybe she is more green, because they just decided to take some creative license with it and enhance things. Don't forget, they have to make something work in 3D physical form now, what was only just a 2D animation made like 50 years ago or whenever.
And also judging from that pic, that color of her looks quite bland anyway. Sprucing her up might not be a bad thing.
Wait and see.

theguru1
01-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Maybe she is more green, because they just decided to take some creative license with it and enhance things. Don't forget, they have to make something work in 3D physical form now, what was only just a 2D animation made like 50 years ago or whenever.
And also judging from that pic, that color of her looks quite bland anyway. Sprucing her up might not be a bad thing.
Wait and see.

Yeah, maybe. But frankly, when it comes to overall colours, I'd rather it be a bit less creative and more screen accurate. I'm not sure being 3D really makes a massive difference to the colours. So while it may need to be a little brighter, due to it being something you look at, instead of something that's projected at you, if they make her too green, you end up more with the Wicked Witch of the West.

Basically I want to avoid the same problem of the ruby red lips on the Galadriel PF. She never looked like that in the films, yet they then shipped what looks more like 'hooker' lip stick.

But yes, we will see, tho we really won't know till production items start to ship.

agen_kolar
01-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Honestly to me she looks almost more of a pale blue in some shots, but sometimes I confuse certain shades of blue and green. :(

Sithlord1975
01-21-2010, 04:56 PM
When the hell is the newsletter coming out for preorder?
It's already 7PM here for me.

Indiana Fett
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
When the hell is the newsletter coming out for preorder?
It's already 7PM here for me.

For us on the east coast, it usually goes up between 9:00 and 10:00...

Keep a watch here though to see when it goes up for sure.

Sweet Rabbit
01-21-2010, 05:20 PM
I hadn't seen Snow White until it was released on Blu-ray either. :o

I saw most of the other classics when I was a kid though. :p

I have all but 3 of the disney dvds

glyoung99
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
I ordered the exclusive.

Blackthornone
01-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I too ordered an exclusive.

Indiana Fett
01-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I ordered the exclusive.

I just did too! Log into your account and check for the newsletter for Jan. 21. It's UP!!! :rock

JosephCPR
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
THAT is NOT Malecifent, sorry

Blackthornone
01-21-2010, 06:25 PM

Color should be light grey blue.

mwf6171
01-21-2010, 06:28 PM
I ordered the exclusive.

I too ordered an exclusive.

I just did too! Log into your account and check for the newsletter for Jan. 21. It's UP!!! :rock

Me four! :banana

JosephCPR
01-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Color should be light grey blue.

Well, I hate complaining about this piece, but I don't see the likeness anywhere. Sculpt should have been more accurate IMO

Webb
01-21-2010, 06:33 PM
It's up now.

Sithlord1975
01-21-2010, 06:36 PM
I got my order in right away for the EX! Didnt' even look at pics, just ordered right away! lol
Now I can sit on it and NOW go look at the pics and decide.

I like it. I think it looks good. The color doesn't bother me. It seems to suit it in my eyes. I like both heads too.
But I prefer the straight faced one. I just don't get the different hand? Finger pointing up, finger pointing down. lol Seriously? lol Why bother with the hand exclusive. Too subtle.

Indiana Fett
01-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Hmmm, you know the more I look at the pics of the sculpt and the more I look at some stills from the film on google, the more I feel they missed the sculpt too. Face isn't long enough, chin not pointy enough, and lips aren't right...aren't full enough, aren't evil enough.

Looks more like a bit of a cross between the cartoon and a 'real world' interpretation...sort of like how they turn STAR WARS EU and cartoon characters into real world characters...

The rest of the body and costuming is FANTASTIC...not sure how I'm feeling about the head sculpts yet though...

:angelsmil

McHaleyArt
01-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, I hate complaining about this piece, but I don't see the likeness anywhere. Sculpt should have been more accurate IMO
I don't think you're complaining. This is one of my all-time favorite villains and I'm disappointed in the face as well. With all of the Maleficent visual references and the talented sculptors at SST's, the portrait should better represent the look of the character on celluloid.

tomandshell
01-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I think I actually prefer the regular head.

Jeremy K9
01-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Was this done by the same artist who sculpted the head for the evil queen? It seems that with Sideshow, a pf can be either hit or miss.:confused:

I still ordered the exclusive though, and i'll definately be keeping it. I also ordered her castle aswell.:joy

jlprjlpr
01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I hate to complain but my first impression is they messed up her face on both portraits just as much as the cartoony Emma Frost PF face looks bad.

Maleficient looks too cartoony (yes, even though she IS a cartoon). I think this is the first fail for Sideshow in their Disney line. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll look at it some more but first impression is not good.

jlprjlpr
01-21-2010, 06:52 PM
she is way too green

Punchy
01-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Maleficient looks too cartoony (yes, even though she IS a cartoon). I think this is the first fail for Sideshow in their Disney line. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll look at it some more but first impression is not good.

I think too cartoony is a perfect description -- especially the smiling portrait. The base did turn out nice. I'll need to see her in person (hopefully at Comic Con) before deciding to keep this.

I think the castle is the superior Maleficent preorder of the day...and it's cheaper.

Darth Waller
01-21-2010, 06:59 PM
I ordered the exclusive even though I'm not sold on the portrait and color just yet.

jlprjlpr
01-21-2010, 07:00 PM
I think too cartoony is a perfect description -- especially the smiling portrait. The base did turn out nice. I'll need to see this in person hopefully at Comic Con before deciding on this.

I think the castle is the superior Maleficent preorder of the day...and cheaper.

she doesn't look right in either portrait. The serious one, it looks like she is trying to "look serious and mean" but is trying to hold a laugh in.

Wow, this is really disappointing. they should have a panel of fans (I would volunteer) to look at this stuff before it goes to far into production. This is a major blunder...

Ktjn
01-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I hate to complain but my first impression is they messed up her face on both portraits just as much as the cartoony Emma Frost PF face looks bad.

No, I agree with you totally. I remmeber seeing SB as a kid, they dropped the ball as of now, but theres lots of time before she comes out...so she can be "fixed".

JacktheRipper
01-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I really wanted this, but I think I'm going to have to pass.
http://i46.tinypic.com/zko0no.jpg
I like this portrait a little better, but I don't think it looks like the animation.
http://i46.tinypic.com/iee52w.jpg

theguru1
01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Ordered the Ex as well, but keeping the order is another matter.

The 'evil' grin head is just hideous and not the Ex bit I was expecting. As I feared, rather too green, tho with luck some of that is due to the bright lighting, but even so, needs to be toned down.

I need to spend a bit more time comparing the normal head with screen grabs.

The base, the overall flowing costume, the pose, etc all looks great tho, but so far, a bit of a disapointment.

Shai
01-21-2010, 07:15 PM
I like it...she is very tall too...Reg portrait is more iconic though.

Jeremy K9
01-21-2010, 07:16 PM
she doesn't look right in either portrait. The serious one, it looks like she is trying to "look serious and mean" but is trying to hold a laugh in.

Wow, this is really disappointing. they should have a panel of fans (I would volunteer) to look at this stuff before it goes to far into production. This is a major blunder...

:lecture

I'll gladly join that panel.:D

It makes me worry about the Jack Sparrow PF. The likeness will either make or break that statue.:(

IronFingaz
01-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Got mine ordered :rock

Ktjn
01-21-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/3000261_press06-001.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/qtgirlgin/2b/4566470_std.jpghttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/leslie_6767/maleficent.jpg

I don't like the regular face, when compired to the shots I just gave. I have to see the EX before I can pass judgement. Her face is slender, but the PF heads don't seem that way?

JosephCPR
01-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Though still not perfect I think the Enesco bust has a greater likeness (and more accurate color)

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/prod_photos/jpg/900543_press01.jpg

Ktjn
01-21-2010, 07:37 PM
^^ Yeah, I like their Chernabog better than SS version too.

Blackthornone
01-21-2010, 07:56 PM
I got my order in right away for the EX! Didnt' even look at pics, just ordered right away! lol
Now I can sit on it and NOW go look at the pics and decide.

I like it. I think it looks good. The color doesn't bother me. It seems to suit it in my eyes. I like both heads too.
But I prefer the straight faced one. I just don't get the different hand? Finger pointing up, finger pointing down. lol Seriously? lol Why bother with the hand exclusive. Too subtle.

I think the sculptor got confused by the Evil Queen PF. The Evil Queen was done somewhat realistically, AND to look really beautiful, because the Evil Queen is SUPPOSED to look beautiful, as the Fairest of them all. Maleficent is NOT supposed to look beautiful, but the sculptor made her look more beautiful anyway, even though beauty ISN'T part of the character. The sculptor made the nose and chin smaller, to look prettier, but also lost the character of the character in the process. With the Evil Queen, making the character more beautiful is in keeping with the premise of the character. If SS is gong to make an EX head, and one i going to look more beautiful, then the OTHER one MUST look screen accurate.

Blackthornone
01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Though still not perfect I think the Enesco bust has a greater likeness (and more accurate color)

I concur. I kind of regret not ordering it now. The SS sculptor needs to take a lesson from this one,IMO.

LOTRFan
01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't care for the sculpt and it looks more "tooned" up than the Evil Queen; it's pass for me.

theguru1
01-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Well, that bust is the colour it should be to start with. I wonder if SS are reading all this, tho it's not like I haven't told them, doesn't mean they will listen tho.

agen_kolar
01-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Major disappointment. That doesn't look like Maleficent. Not to mention I'm pretty sure she never made that maniacal face that the exclusive edition includes. She was way too calm and collected for that, even in a rage.

What may have been my first PF is now a pass, unless they update the sculpt like they did to the Count Dooku PF.

samueljd
01-21-2010, 08:30 PM
I ordered the EX as usual, but I don't like a couple of the characteristics other folks have mentioned. I might cancel later, unless the skin tone and face are changed for the better.

Darklord Dave
01-21-2010, 09:08 PM

That bust has a better skin color, but I really don't like the face there - I know it's a oxymoron, but it is too cartoony. I'd also say the same about the regular head of the PF. However I really like the exclusive head - that's how I remember her - not maniacally laughing but as cool, calculating and imperious.

And it did remind me that Disney uses the real life features of the voice actor in the character model, especially with the villains. And I definitely see Audley in the sculpt...

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/images/audley1.jpg

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/images/Eleanor_Audley_300.jpg

Sithlord1975
01-21-2010, 09:09 PM
I dunno. I still like it. I know it's a bit cartoony, but she was an animated cartoon. Reminds me a bit of the Elvira PF, which I have and love.
SO yeah, I still like it. Yes it's cartoony, but she looks like a cartoon come to life!
I dunno.

Sithlord1975
01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/3000261_press06-001.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/qtgirlgin/2b/4566470_std.jpghttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/leslie_6767/maleficent.jpg

I don't like the regular face, when compired to the shots I just gave. I have to see the EX before I can pass judgement. Her face is slender, but the PF heads don't seem that way?

Maybe her head doesn't look as slender because it's looking up a bit and the camera angle it was shot at.
Again, I still like it.
It might not be perfect, but I think most PF's rarely get it spot on perfect anyway. A "likeness" is a likeness, and that's good enough for me.
I got the Evil Queen coming and these two Beyotches are gonna look sweet together.

agen_kolar
01-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Speaking of Eleanor Audley, I was always very impressed with the work she and the Disney animators did with Lady Tremaine and Maleficent.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/kylehickman1/Eleanor_Audley_300.jpg?t=1264137105http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/kylehickman1/LadyTremaine.jpg?t=1264137033

McHaleyArt
01-21-2010, 10:27 PM
When mattel were doing their Disney Barbie line, they put out excellent versions of The Evil Queen and Maleficent. M's portrait was impressive. There's no reason Sideshow shouldn't be able to do the same and I really hope they re-do the entire portrait.

bzie
01-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Did a quick photoshop and looks much better now ....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2741/4294788240_a61364d778.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4295002708_6bf7f40dc6.jpg

Blackthornone
01-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Maybe her head doesn't look as slender because it's looking up a bit and the camera angle it was shot at.
Again, I still like it.
It might not be perfect, but I think most PF's rarely get it spot on perfect anyway. A "likeness" is a likeness, and that's good enough for me.
I got the Evil Queen coming and these two Beyotches are gonna look sweet together.

Looks like she is related to another character entirely with this particular skin color.

Simone
01-22-2010, 01:51 AM
However I really like the exclusive head - that's how I remember her - not maniacally laughing but as cool, calculating and imperious.

That is the regular head.

tomandshell
01-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Speaking of Eleanor Audley, I was always very impressed with the work she and the Disney animators did with Lady Tremaine and Maleficent.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/kylehickman1/Eleanor_Audley_300.jpg?t=1264137105http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/kylehickman1/LadyTremaine.jpg?t=1264137033

Did they have Avatar motion capture cameras back then? Or just talent and a pencil?

xr6.turbo
01-22-2010, 02:44 AM
Just ordered EX on flex:cool:

Now just got to hide it from the wife til her B'day in November:D

samueljd
01-22-2010, 05:05 AM
The overly green color is starting to bother me. I like the subdued light green as she appeared in the movie.

mikkipog
01-22-2010, 05:20 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2741/4294788240_a61364d778.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4295002708_6bf7f40dc6.jpg

i'm beginning to like her deep green skin tone. it just gives this piece a more solid appearance, compared to the pale photoshopped one. she is one of those pieces that at first, won't appeal as much, but slowly, she just grows in you. then before you know it, you love her to bits! i'm totally fine with her, will be getting this for sure. :D

just a suggestion, i think what could help with her deep green skin tone is making her eye shadow darker. this way, her green skin would appear lighter against the dark grayish purple around her eyes.

choopie
01-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Can't say that I like this at all. I think that the Evil Queen came out much better.

kaidoy021
01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
She looks amazing to me. I picked up the EX. The Green doesn't bother me as much as you guys. I do wish the Exclusive was something else though.

daikkenaurora
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I liked it when it was being made but there is something about the face that bothers me. Maybe its her cheeks.

creature4000
01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
looks like the wicked witch of the west.

jlprjlpr
01-22-2010, 10:59 AM
I liked it when it was being made but there is something about the face that bothers me. Maybe its her cheeks.

I know what bothers you about her face: its not her face, its somebody else's face.

agen_kolar
01-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Did they have Avatar motion capture cameras back then? Or just talent and a pencil?

No motion capture, just talent and pencil.

I think the main problem, aside from the skin color, is the eyes. They're too slanted. Forgive me for the piss poor photoshop attempt, but I think you'll see my point.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/kylehickman1/MaleficentSSF.jpg

IMO, that looks much more like Maleficent (aside from being bright green.)

Darklord Dave
01-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Wow, that color change is a huge improvement. I guess I'm in the "CHANGE THE COLOR!" camp now.

Darth Waller
01-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Dave, pull some strings for us. :D

jlprjlpr
01-22-2010, 01:33 PM

I think the main problem, aside from the skin color, is the eyes. They're too slanted. Forgive me for the piss poor photoshop attempt, but I think you'll see my point.

great job, yours looks much better than Sideshow's

jlprjlpr
01-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Personally, I think they should scrap both heads and the extra hand. Who care's where the finger is.

Then they should make just one good badass mean face and for the exclusive make one of Maleficient's little Goons. That would be awesome. There is no figurine or statue of those goons anywhere. That would have made this Maleficient special. In this case, two heads ain't better than one!

theguru1
01-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Wow, that color change is a huge improvement. I guess I'm in the "CHANGE THE COLOR!" camp now.

And that's with a very quick photoshop job, if the skin colour really was lighter and more screen accurate, it would look even better.

So yes Dave, if you can put the Word in, then now is the time, before production starts. Some minor sculpt improvements in the standard head wouldn't hurt either.

McHaleyArt
01-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Truthfully...it needs more than a color change. The whole shape of the face/head is off and is lacking the depth and character the screen design possesses.

Punchy
01-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Wow that does make a big difference. Well done. I think the face still needs to be a touch thinner/longer to match film better. Hopefully Sideshow will consider tweaking the sculpt along with the obvious color issue.

Webb
01-23-2010, 01:16 PM
I think I actually prefer the regular head.

:naughty:naughty:naughty:naughty:naughty

sigep756
01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Grand Jester busts, but haven't made the jump to the Disney PF's yet.

The busts are sculpted and painted by an actual Disney animator (Ruben Procopio) and I think that's why they seem to be looking more accurate.

Anyhoo, was hoping to make the jump to the PF's with Maleficent, but you all have been hitting the nail on the head...Just too many differences from the actual character.

Maybe next time!

Agent0028
01-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm surprised because the sculpt does seems off, especially the exclusive. The regular is good enough to pass muster, but not as great as the first two. As for the color, I agree that the the lighter green looks better and more screen accurate. However I think when I've seen her in person they had that deeper shade of green. I could be mistaken though. Had I read the newsletter on Thursday I would have paid attention when I saw her on the stage show at Disney on Saturday. :lol I'm definitely going to pay more attention when I go back next time.

Darth Waller
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
I found these pictures online.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/3033499899_b209e2c8ce.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2124/1835379191_702b0320bc.jpg

Agent0028
01-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks Waller. I wonder why they have her the darker green at the parks, and I wonder if Disney had a hand in Sideshow making her the darker color.

Darth Waller
01-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Maybe so her face stands out on stage.

But damn, she looks like a man in that second picture. :lol

theguru1
01-24-2010, 08:48 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2124/1835379191_702b0320bc.jpg

Well, that just about makes the PF look perfect.....

But even then, they still can't make up their minds. The lower chin and hands are a pale green, while the rest of the face is a more fuller green.

Add to that, instead of the more royal purple cloth, it's got that bright pink. All in all that's hideous, if the PF looked anything like that, I wouldn't even had put in a safety order.

So, once again, it needs to look like this:

Sithlord1975
01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
How come we never give these talented artists the benefit of the doubt? Do we all just think they are just plain stupid and don't know what they are doing and just make up their own sculpt and stuff? lol
Well, maybe in some cases, an artist is given a project that maybe he has no clue about, or doesn't know the source material at all.
But usually most people would at least research it and learn about it.

All these people have talent.
So who is to say that they didn't try it the way YOU want it and thought it should look exactly like the old movie?
What if they did try it, and doing so, it just didn't turn out and wasn't working well in real physical terms of what they had in mind for this PF.
It would be nice to learn from Sideshow themselves why this PF is the way it is.

Maybe going the pale route just kinda didn't make the 3D version of this stand out or something.
If you notice, that movie screen is quite faded looking.
But the PF is nice SOLID deep colors, that contrast each other. Deep black, the purple is more solid and deep and of course the skin color.

agen_kolar
01-24-2010, 11:47 PM
I understand that your point, but in my opinion, they should make a screen accurate Maleficent - not an artist's interpretation. I understand that some interpretation has to occur when making a 2D character into a 3D object, but the face and colors are, without a doubt, incorrect.

agen_kolar
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Double post - yessss!

theguru1
01-25-2010, 12:28 AM
I get what your saying Sithlord, but at times I just think they go for what seems best, were what we want is accuracy.

I did a scan through the DVD, and the skin colour of the screen shot I posted, is pretty much how she looks and really, given the darker colours of the 'dress', a lighter skin tone would pop just as much, as the quick photoshop re-paint shows.

A classic example is the Galadriel PF and her ruby red lips. Everyone said it was wrong, they don't look anything like it in the film and yet the PF still shipped like that.
I've since seen re-painted versions of Galadriel, with the lips toned down to what they should be and it looks a lot better.

So, regardless of research, meetings, etc, sometimes Sideshow just get it wrong. I still believe this is one of those times.

D. Martin
01-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I've just published a Closer Look @ feature on the Maleficent Premium Format Figure.

Follow this link to Check it out (http://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/front/A_Closer_Look_At_The_Maleficent_Premium_Format_Fig ure_129053.asp).

spazzy
01-28-2010, 09:30 AM
I like that first closeup of her.

sigep756
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Just got the Maleficent Grand Jester bust and it looks terrific...Much better likeness/pose than the PF preview pics IMO. But I'll save judgment until I see the PF in person!

theguru1
01-28-2010, 05:07 PM
The Ex PF is now sold out, with an ES of 350, bit higher then I was expecting frankly. If the main issues aren't fixed, I can totally se this going back up on second chance.

Ktjn
01-28-2010, 07:18 PM
The Ex PF is now sold out, with an ES of 350, bit higher then I was expecting frankly. If the main issues aren't fixed, I can totally se this going back up on second chance.

Yeah, she got alot of bad press and still managed a ES of 350 for the EX. Thank those who "order everything" and those who Pre-Flip all the EXs that come out.

theguru1
01-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Well, for me its more a safety order at the moment. If the issues aren't fixed, or I don't know if they are fixed before mines ships, I'll cancel my Ex order and pick up the Reg later if it does turn out OK.

JosephCPR
01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
I know it is not perfect, but I'd have liked to see something like this...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/josecarlos377/zzzz.jpg

Darth Waller
01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Now that's Maleficent! :clap

Agent0028
01-28-2010, 08:55 PM
The lighter does look much better. You can really tell she's too dark when you look at just her hand in the banner up top, you'd think its the Wicked Witch by that.

spazzy
01-29-2010, 12:08 AM
really good take on her.

kaidoy021
01-29-2010, 12:22 AM
they were just testing the waters with the Evil Queen and that soldout at 300. I guess a bump in ES isn't that surprising

Superman
01-29-2010, 03:04 AM
I know it is not perfect, but I'd have liked to see something like this...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/josecarlos377/zzzz.jpg

Much better

Ktjn
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
The lighter does look much better. You can really tell she's too dark when you look at just her hand in the banner up top, you'd think its the Wicked Witch by that.

He didn't just lighten the face, he did a few more things :D

Did he PS the EX head, yet? :hint: ;)

agen_kolar
01-29-2010, 02:19 PM
JosephCPR, I would buy your PF in a heartbeat. That is, without a doubt, Maleficent.

Agent0028
01-29-2010, 07:16 PM
He didn't just lighten the face, he did a few more things :D

Did he PS the EX head, yet? :hint: ;)

Yeah I know, he lightened the eye color and added more eye shadow, or whatever that stuff is. I know nothing about make up. Any other changes are too subtle for me to notice. But I think the color is the biggest problem with it, like I said, looking at just her hand you'd expect the Wicked Witch from Oz.

JosephCPR
01-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Much better

JosephCPR, I would buy your PF in a heartbeat. That is, without a doubt, Maleficent.

Glad you liked it guys...and sorry it is not what will be released :monkey1

theguru1
01-30-2010, 12:58 AM
...and sorry it is not what will be released :monkey1

Well, here's hoping that Sideshow are listening and that is what ends up being released.

risingstar
01-30-2010, 05:09 AM
The baddies are the best... She is one of the originals.

mikkipog
01-30-2010, 08:55 AM
i'm perfectly fine with how she looks right now. most of the time, if not always, the actual piece looks soooooo much better than plain images, even production shots from sideshow's site. i like her skin tone as it is, it gives her a more solid look. regular version ordered. :banana:banana:banana

Jeremy K9
01-30-2010, 05:43 PM
That looks way better than what we have right now. Definately looks like the Maleficent I remember.

I know we all would like Sideshow to listen to our pleas, but I don't see it happening. Has there ever been a case where Sideshow listened to people from this board and made changes to a statue?

Agent0028
01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
The Dooku PF was changed. Whether the changes were already underway or made after people expressed disappointment with the piece I don't know. There was also an instance where a Star Wars 12" figure had the wrong color lightsaber and they changed it. So I agree it isn't likely, but its not impossible either. I also don't know that its totally Sideshow either, as I pointed out, at the parks Maleficent is a darker green so its possible its something Disney has mandated. I have no clue if they can do that or not, but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

Jeremy K9
01-30-2010, 06:41 PM
The Dooku PF was changed. Whether the changes were already underway or made after people expressed disappointment with the piece I don't know. There was also an instance where a Star Wars 12" figure had the wrong color lightsaber and they changed it. So I agree it isn't likely, but its not impossible either. I also don't know that its totally Sideshow either, as I pointed out, at the parks Maleficent is a darker green so its possible its something Disney has mandated. I have no clue if they can do that or not, but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

I hope they do make the changes we all want, but I don't know if we have as much pull as the Star Wars crowd.:maul:emperor:chew :rotfl

theguru1
01-30-2010, 11:45 PM
That looks way better than what we have right now. Definately looks like the Maleficent I remember.

I know we all would like Sideshow to listen to our pleas, but I don't see it happening. Has there ever been a case where Sideshow listened to people from this board and made changes to a statue?

The hair on the Galadriel PF was changed, from 'real' hair to sculpted. But then again they still left the lips bright red.

At this stage in my collecting hobby, I'm not willing to accept near enough as good enough. Even if it is a character/statue that I'd rather like, if in the end it's just not excellent to outstanding, I'm more then willing to cancel and move on.
All one has to do is waiting another 6 months or so, and something else will come out that I'd want just as much, but which was done to the top standards one should expect for the money.

Mind you, when it comes to Belle or The Beast, they better get that totally right, or there will be hell to pay.....

deadspawn
01-31-2010, 08:00 AM
The changes must happen

Darknight
02-26-2010, 10:17 AM
QTVR up!

Looks awesome! Liking the pose of the regular more tho..

theguru1
02-26-2010, 11:45 PM
The colour on the QTVR looks a little better, maybe less bright light or something, hard to tell.
Starting to dislike the EX head more and more, so while I haven't yet cancelled it, unless updated photo's of the production statue show up before shipping and they look outstanding, then right now I will cancel at some point.

If it does turn out good and even the head on the Reg QTVR looks a bit better (but again may just be the angle), then I'll pick up the Reg after we have some in-hand pics.

Being in Australia, buying on a hope just isn't an option, not with the postage cost's to send it back if I'm just not happy.

jlprjlpr
02-27-2010, 04:42 AM
QTVR up!

Looks awesome! Liking the pose of the regular more tho..

what is QTVR?

theguru1
02-27-2010, 05:49 AM
what is QTVR?

Quicktime VR... it's the 360 interactive spin around that Sideshow put up for most items. Available as a link on the product page, 'Sideshow 360'.

samueljd
02-28-2010, 09:34 AM
I canceled my Maleficent EX. I felt the overly greenish color and look of the piece doesn't suit me. Hopefully somebody will get there waitlist converted.

jlprjlpr
03-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Quicktime VR... it's the 360 interactive spin around that Sideshow put up for most items. Available as a link on the product page, 'Sideshow 360'.

thanks for explaining

Flipsk8emerica
03-03-2010, 08:49 AM
The 360 view is very impressive. Is there an exact release date for this piece yet anyone?

theguru1
03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
The 360 view is very impressive. Is there an exact release date for this piece yet anyone?

Not yet, no, but check out the last payment date for Flexplay, that should give you some idea, it was about dead on for the Evil Queen.

praxitas
03-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm going to do my best to be around for SS's chat's on the 17th. If I don't make it someone should ask if there's a reasoning for such a greenish tone and if that color is a definite for this PF.

theguru1
03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm going to do my best to be around for SS's chat's on the 17th. If I don't make it someone should ask if there's a reasoning for such a greenish tone and if that color is a definite for this PF.

ditto, I'd really like to know that as well. The Reg face sculpt could use a bit of work as well.

And while we are on the subject of Disney PF's, if someone could ask about any news on when PF's like Jessica Rabbit, Belle, Beast and Snow White may come along.

I'd ask myself, but I'll be either asleep or at work during the main chat.

theguru1
03-12-2010, 08:15 PM
So the Reg ES is only 500, which with the Ex being 350, that's a total which is 50 less then the Evil Queen.....

Not really surprised tho, in fact I just cancelled my Ex order, for reasons as previously stated and I think I'd be far better off saving money and display space for future PF's that I would want even more.

Darklord Dave
03-14-2010, 02:53 PM

After seeing it in person I'm okay with the green tone - it's not nearly as dark as it appears in the photos. However as I understand it, there may be some adjustments before release.

Agent0028
03-14-2010, 03:03 PM
I think a few adjustments could really knock this one out of the park. The green tone being the biggest (good to here its lighter in person) and I think the sculpt could use a little tweaking.

I know I'm going to regret staying out of this line.

samueljd
03-14-2010, 03:19 PM
After seeing it in person I'm okay with the green tone - it's not nearly as dark as it appears in the photos. However as I understand it, there may be some adjustments before release.

If the necessary adjustments are made, I'm going to have to get back on the waitlist for the EX that I cancelled.

anakin1138
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm on the waitlist for the EX

theguru1
03-14-2010, 07:20 PM
If the necessary adjustments are made, I'm going to have to get back on the waitlist for the EX that I cancelled.

If it really ends up turning out great, then I may just consider getting the Reg, no matter what I don't think I'm ever going to like the Ex head anyway.

Plus it's not that the green is dark, it's that its too bright, should be more pale to match the film.

Still, I'm mostly ready to move on. Seeing how fantastic the Evil Queen is, I'm just so excited and jazzed to see Belle, Beast, Jessica Rabbit and Snow White at equal quality. Even as it stands, none of them could ship till 2011, come on Sideshow, throw me an announcement/preview/hints, you had all of those in the first looks video from a year ago.

praxitas
03-14-2010, 07:34 PM

Great to hear. After the home run that was the evil queen I really hope this one is the same. Mine is still on pre-order and will stay that way. Did they state what adjustments they may possibly make?? Thanks for the update Dave

samueljd
03-15-2010, 05:59 PM
If it really ends up turning out great, then I may just consider getting the Reg, no matter what I don't think I'm ever going to like the Ex head anyway.

Plus it's not that the green is dark, it's that its too bright, should be more pale to match the film.

Still, I'm mostly ready to move on. Seeing how fantastic the Evil Queen is, I'm just so excited and jazzed to see Belle, Beast, Jessica Rabbit and Snow White at equal quality. Even as it stands, none of them could ship till 2011, come on Sideshow, throw me an announcement/preview/hints, you had all of those in the first looks video from a year ago.

You have a point. The gigantic grin on the EX head looks crazy. I might just wait and pick up the regular if the piece is to my liking.

Darklord Dave
03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Great to hear. After the home run that was the evil queen I really hope this one is the same. Mine is still on pre-order and will stay that way. Did they state what adjustments they may possibly make?? Thanks for the update Dave

Not sure, but I think maybe lighten the green paint.

Darknight
03-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the update Dave, good to know that the green will be lighter in color..did you think that SS's Maleficent is representative of Disney's version when you saw it in person?

Darklord Dave
03-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Just from the preview pictures I thought it was an excellent representation of her. The only problem I had was the skin tone, and that isn't an issue for me seeing it in person.

Darknight
03-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Just from the preview pictures I thought it was an excellent representation of her. The only problem I had was the skin tone, and that isn't an issue for me seeing it in person.

Thanks Dave!

Im glad the skin tone turned out well.

Really looking forward to displaying this with the Evil Queen Pf. :)

praxitas
04-01-2010, 05:48 PM
This grew on me a bit during the backstage pass. I really like the base on this piece. I still hope to see it tuned down as far as the green goes though. It was interesting to hear that they got ideas from the actual actress that voiced maleficent.

Khev
04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
The backstage pass finally helped me put my finger on what didn't work for me with this piece; and its the fact that she was sculpted with more of an eye toward the actress who voiced her than the actual animated character.

I don't like that approach. Disney could have tried to match the look of the actress when they animated her in the 50's but Sleeping Beauty's then dramatic stylistic departure from some of the more realistic looking characters of the 30's and 40's was quite pivotal to the film's end result.

The artwork for the upcoming Captain Hook PF indicates that they plan on matching his animated look, I wish the same approach had been taken with the wonderfully stylized Maleficent.

theguru1
04-01-2010, 10:20 PM
The colour looks a bit better in the video shots, but I still think it's not pale enough compared to film images.
With luck it will be tweaked a bit more in production.

Disliking the grinning EX head more and more, so I have no regrets on cancelling my EX pre-order. If in hand pics turn out to be good, I'll just order the Reg, either direct from SS or locally.

But yes, the actress was mostly used for expressions, you shouldn't use it as a reference for the head sculpt, that should be purely based on the animated film look, like the Evil Queen one is.

block
04-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Starting to like it a bit more after watching the backstage pass.

Though still hoping for the change of colour.
Dislike the ex head so I'm going to wait until photos are posted up in forums and if I like what I see I'll try and pick up the regular for a good price.

LOTRFan
04-05-2010, 10:08 AM
The BP has changed my impression of her, I think it looks quite good aside from the coloring.

SSC_Nerd
04-08-2010, 02:34 PM
The Backstage Pass certainly made me like it more. Though it still looked too green in that, I was surprised to see that the green looked much more toned down in the 360. That was perhaps the lighting though. I mean, I'm sure they saw the massive amount of complaints about the skin color, so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't improved upon by when it comes out.

myrainyworld
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
I love the smiling portrait and conjuring hand.
But I prefer when only each one is used not both of them together. :lol

500 for Reg and 350 for Ex is quite small numbers though. :banghead

mwf6171
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
How do you find the Back Stage Pass images?

praxitas
04-15-2010, 01:34 PM
When your on the order page for Maleficent's on Sideshows site there should be a few links underneath the main image. One will be the backstage pass.

risingstar
04-16-2010, 02:06 PM
In a way, it's sad to see how so many Disney characters have become awfully outdated from a gender's perspective. Obsessions with looks and being saved by Princes just doesn't quite cut with young girls as much today. My daughter is 2.5 years old and she much prefers watching cartoons and films where girls actually accomplish things as opposed to just sitting around waiting to be saved or tended to.

Beautiful piece though.

Silent December
04-24-2010, 06:18 PM
My Evil queen is flexed and now my Maleficent Waitlist has converted. All I need now is for ol Captain Jack to convert and I will be GOLDEN!

JosephCPR
04-24-2010, 09:09 PM
This thread should be locked. Lame PF

JosephCPR
04-24-2010, 09:21 PM
I hate it!!!

Silent December
04-24-2010, 10:47 PM

I hate it!!!

...the hell? Someone need a hug!:grouphug

IronFingaz
04-26-2010, 05:06 PM

I hate it!!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/syV2LkGpQB0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/syV2LkGpQB0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

bagelsncheesey
04-27-2010, 05:23 AM

I hate it!!!

good then leave ya n00b. :rolleyes:

LiLJawa
04-27-2010, 11:33 AM
I for one really enjoy this PF, just picked it up. :joy

wolvie9
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Me too got on the Ex wait list hope it converts!

blue_rogue
06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I canceled my order a few months ago. Then, after going to Disney World, and watching the backstage pass, I got on the waitlist. It converted today.

I've got the Evil Queen on Flex Pay at the moment, so I'll be keeping my order this time. Now bring on Hook!

xr6.turbo
07-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Any news on this ???

theguru1
07-07-2010, 03:48 AM
yeah.... it's coming, haha

Seriously tho, I think this would still be a month or so away from a shipping notice, so late August, early September.

What will be good to see is pics from SDCC, especially if the one on show is a production sample.

blue_rogue
07-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Can't wait to see Con pics of this piece!

And hope to see a maquette of Maleficent in dragon form at some point :rock

The Mike
07-09-2010, 08:08 PM
I almost wish that this looked more like the Big Fig offered awhile back

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2639149135_a888f975e0.jpg

From what I've seen, I'm not happy with this....hopefully seeing it at SDCC will change my mind.

JosephCPR
07-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I almost wish that this looked more like the Big Fig offered awhile back

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2639149135_a888f975e0.jpg

From what I've seen, I'm not happy with this....hopefully seeing it at SDCC will change my mind.

I agree the Big Fig is a far superior sculpt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana/2639149135/sizes/l/

xr6.turbo
07-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Well one more payment to go and less than a month until we start getting this:yess:

theguru1
07-20-2010, 07:17 AM
The web site does say shipping in August, so it's going to be interesting to see what in hand pics look like, I still have no idea if I'm going to get it or not.

Will also be interesting to hear what shipping is for you xr6, both in comparison to the Evil Queen and what total cost I may be looking at, compared to say a local purchase.

choopie
07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Well Sideshow set the bar with their Evil Queen piece, which I feel is just stunning, so I expect no less of Maleficent, or any future animated Disney PFs for that matter. Yes, I have high expectations, but only because I know what Sideshow is capable of and they showed it with the Evil Queen PF.

xr6.turbo
07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
The web site does say shipping in August, so it's going to be interesting to see what in hand pics look like, I still have no idea if I'm going to get it or not.

Will also be interesting to hear what shipping is for you xr6, both in comparison to the Evil Queen and what total cost I may be looking at, compared to say a local purchase.

I got a quote for $50 but that could change:dunno

NorthernLadMSP
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
My waitlist for the EX Maleficent is going to be converted!! I'm so excited, I just got an e-mail today!! Maleficent looks amazing, and is my total top Disney villain. She's the most evil and, I'd say, the most powerful!! :nana:

GoreHOUND
08-10-2010, 05:01 AM
Notices didn't email out yet did they? Seems like they should be alerting us soon of her arrival.

blue_rogue
08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
A few days ago the est. ship date on the order page was August 2010. It now says September 2010.

GoreHOUND
08-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I thought I saw the Flex change dates too. Good, that gives me more time to save, too many other Premium Formats coming and I wouldn't ever give Mally up.

Silent December
08-11-2010, 07:34 PM
yeah same here, glad it got pushed back a little. Trying to spread a few things out.

blue_rogue
08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Me too. I need to see if I can change my order to Flex Pay.

Desilu
08-27-2010, 03:18 PM
I am really just dying to get this one. For once I have the money in savings and don't have to scramble. She is going to look so great along side the Evil Queen.

GreatFire
08-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Can some Maleficent PF owners chime in as to the length of her neck. Seems to have been an issue at the time of her announcement but haven't heard much about it recently. Was it corrected during production?

theguru1
08-28-2010, 11:23 PM
No one knows, she hasn't shipped yet.

Kronet
08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Canceled mine.

I don't care for the artist's interpretation of the face. Now that I think about it, if they are going to do 2 headsculpts they should have made one of them classic.

I hope they stay true to the original style when doing the princesses.

Desilu
08-31-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm not a fan of the smiley one, she will definitely have her stern face on at my house.

JosephCPR
08-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Canceled mine.

I don't care for the artist's interpretation of the face. Now that I think about it, if they are going to do 2 headsculpts they should have made one of them classic.

I hope they stay true to the original style when doing the princesses.

Artist's interpretation= Inability to capture real likeness

theguru1
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
The gallery photo's on the web site don't say anything about being a prototype. As such, is it just me or has that neck got longer, looks like she has been put on the rack.

Sithlord1975
09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Anyone get shipping notices yet? And once we get it, start posting nice pics!!

xr6.turbo
09-03-2010, 11:51 PM
This won't be shipping until November.

Just got this email saying

New Schedule for Remaining Payments
11/5/2010 $xx.xx

Sithlord1975
09-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Ah man. yeah even the website says October now, rather then September.

:gah:

Danielle89
09-28-2010, 09:44 AM
I have this on order, but do you guys think I should keep my order or cancel it. I am really on the fence here since I do have to safe some money up for my trip to the USA next summer.

JosephCPR
09-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I have this on order, but do you guys think I should keep my order or cancel it. I am really on the fence here since I do have to safe some money up for my trip to the USA next summer.

As you say, it seems there are other priorities. You should know what you have to do but as you are asking for opinions...I'd Cancel. It is not such a great representation and most probably, it will be on second chance for a while (giving you time to save some more money)

Danielle89
09-28-2010, 11:48 AM
As you say, it seems there are other priorities. You should know what you have to do but as you are asking for opinions...I'd Cancel. It is not such a great representation and most probably, it will be on second chance for a while (giving you time to save some more money)

Thanks for the response! :) Yeah, I know what to do, but the piece is pretty much sold out in Holland and ordering directly from Sideshow is not a option since it is to expensive.

theguru1
09-28-2010, 06:19 PM
I'd focused on getting the Evil Queen way above this one. You never know, it may turn out OK, but over time, I suspect a number of options will come up (Gift Card listing, cheaper ebay, etc).