Your level of perfection OCD when it comes to collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boba Ben

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm really a perfectionist when it comes to the action figures in my collection. I scrutinize every little detail of the paint job and if there's even one little minor imperfection it can drive me crazy at times.

For example, my Iron Man Mark III has what can be best described as tiny areas where the gold paint doesn't really blend right and it looks darker than the rest of the golden areas. It really bothers me and I've even considered buying a new one. When I order Masters of the Universe Classics figures from Mattycollector I always dread the fact that they might have some paint problems somewhere and I'll have to try and find a replacement. If I ever buy a figure at retail I always look at every example of the same figure to see which one has the best paint job.

Is anyone else like this with their figures? Do you allow these little imperfections to bother you or are you sane and just enjoy your toys and statues for what they are?

Sadly, think it takes some of the fun out of the hobby because I'm constantly have to worry about a figure I order being imperfect. Maybe I should go see a therapist.:wacky

I can definitely relate. I don't collect the 1/6 lines, but I do collection the Premium Format lines. I've learned though that if I had to replace every piece that had an imperfection, I probably wouldn't have a collection left. You have to figure that some part of every piece was made by human hands, and because of that, there will always be some imperfection here or there. But I do see where you're coming from because in many ways, I'm still like that. I've even owned three of some pieces (just to find ONE perfect piece) and every single one had minute flaws.

Yeah, I'm kind of a mixture. I can usually expect some imperfections, especially when the figures are so complex that it eventually becomes unavoidable.

But if I ever have the option of choosing between figures I'll look for the best paint/condition.

The worst though is when you damage your figures... not many things worse then the snap of plastic or crash of polystone on a item you just dropped $100+ on :lol :monkey2

When you are dropping quite a bit of money on collectibles, nothing wrong with being picky about every little thing sometimes, hell i can sometimes sift through say 15 of the same figure at retail before i find one i am honestly satisfied with..it can be stressfull for some, i guess.

I feel ya man, with my 1:1 props its not as bad once I own them. But they have to be like perfect screen accuracy before I'll buy them.

But with 1/6 figures I'm completely insane. I'll futz something for 2 hours, close the cabinet, step back and look at it, and if any little crease in any part of the clothing looks wrong, I'll redo the whole thing. Belloq's pants drive me insane to this day because they came so wrinkled.

I used to be sooo bad about that. The slightest imperfection would drive me nuts, but I've mellowed in recent years. If it's not bad enough to affect the display value, I don't worry about. I got the Sideshow ANH Vader recently, and there are a couple of little blemishes on the helmet, and even though they're very difficult to see unless you're looking for them, it still would've bugged me to no end just knowing they were there. Maybe I'm just getting too old to sweat the small stuff anymore.

Years ago when I used to collect action figures, I used to go through them looking for the best one. I'm that way with most anything that I can sort through in hand.

It's really hard for me not to be a completist with things. I'm so glad I don't collect Star Wars things because I'd be totally insane by now! :duh

We're all like that. Most collectors have some degree of OCD.

Bunch of mental sick freaks we are! Half of us should be medicated or dumped at some psychward. Who wants to come with me?! WEEEEEEE!!!

I used to be sooo bad about that. The slightest imperfection would drive me nuts, but I've mellowed in recent years. If it's not bad enough to affect the display value, I don't worry about. I got the Sideshow ANH Vader recently, and there are a couple of little blemishes on the helmet, and even though they're very difficult to see unless you're looking for them, it still would've bugged me to no end just knowing they were there. Maybe I'm just getting too old to sweat the small stuff anymore.

Maybe someday I'll be more like you. I'd really like to just have my figures and statues and not have to worry about the little imperfections.

I just got my SDCC Gunmetal Iron Man and he has a tiny mark on his butt. It's not like I'm going to look at his fanny regularly, but I'll probably be bothered by the fact that I know it'll always be there....on his butt.

We're all like that. Most collectors have some degree of OCD.

Bunch of mental sick freaks we are! Half of us should be medicated or dumped at some psychward. Who wants to come with me?! WEEEEEEE!!!

I feel like I belong. We can all be crazy together!

I feel like I belong. We can all be crazy together!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm .................

6a00d834515db069e201156f820de1970c-.jpg

Back