Order to watch the Star Wars Saga

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chew74

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking the other day (as much as my mind allows) My Son, who's 4 has never seen the Star Wars Saga. What order should I have him watch them in. My fellow geek at work says for the first viewing he should watch them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, but I say it should be watched how grew up with it 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. Just because you get the surprises like who's Luke's daddy and stuff. Ok, let's go.

I vote 4,5,6 then 1,2,3. I have a couple personal reasons for this, especially to a kid who's never seen them before.

1. Technological gap. If you go 1-6, then going from 3-4 you go backwards in film technology by almost 30 years.

2. The father reveal is much more powerful and surprising than Anakin's turn, which was building up and not out of left field.

3. I think Vader's image would be altered going 1-6, you won't have that same mysterious evil badass vibe from him, you'll just see Anakin.

4. I like the concept of learning the characters and events from the past afterwards rather than before. It was cool to see Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine's "origins" after knowing the Original Tilogy.

Just my $.02

I vote 4,5,6 then 1,2,3. I have a couple personal reasons for this, especially to a kid who's never seen them before.

1. Technological gap. If you go 1-6, then going from 3-4 you go backwards in film technology by almost 30 years.

2. The father reveal is much more powerful and surprising than Anakin's turn, which was building up and not out of left field.

3. I think Vader's image would be altered going 1-6, you won't have that same mysterious evil badass vibe from him, you'll just see Anakin.

4. I like the concept of learning the characters and events from the past afterwards rather than before. It was cool to see Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine's "origins" after knowing the Original Tilogy.

Just my $.02

Very cool & valid points, thanks man!

Yeah, I just love Vader being a bad to the bone sith lord, then your like he was hero, let's do a rewind and see the turn.

Set aside from doing an huge amount of crack. I'll take your word for it, thanks!

If you think about it follows a logical progression actually. Think of the prequels as flashbacks which drive the original trilogy.

Actually there is so much added as of lately with the clone wars and new shows, it'll be a lot to watch. Lucas is a busy billionaire!

My son has watched them in order (1-6) and the changes in FX don't seem to bother him at all. He understands that it's Anakin inside the suit, and his perception of Vader is different from what I experienced as a kid.

The shock I had when I learned that Vader was Luke's father is different but comparable to the shock my son experienced when he watched the hero that he had been rooting for--the kid who won the podrace and was growing up to be a Jedi--fall to the dark side and turn on the younglings, Padme and Obi-Wan. I think that the conclusion and the return of the Jedi from the dark side at the end of the saga is more powerful for my son than it was for me. I never rooted for Vader, and I had to grudgingly accept his changing sides at the very end--he wasn't really coming back, because I had never experienced him as anything but a villain. It was just a deathbed conversion. But my son had been rooting for Anakin the whole time, and it is more powerful for him to see his old friend get his act together and reclaim his position as a hero and father. Seeing Hayden's ghost Anakin back with Obi-Wan and Yoda in the end works for my son in a way that it never will for me--definitely more of a redemption story. It's a different experience watching them chronologically for the first time, but I wouldn't say it's a lesser one.

1-6

While the ESB twist is iconic, I think watching Anakin become Vader more powerful. Even watching ROTS knowing the outcome, you still wanted Anakin to do the right thing and slay Palpatine.

If you really love him

But seriously, 4,5,6, 1,2,3

You don't want him knowing Vader goes to the dark side for a chick till last IMO.

He's young so he will love the Phantom menace.
He will appreciate The Empire strikes back more when he's older.

And don't listen to these prequel haters, I sometimes wonder if they are true Star Wars fans.

If you think about it follows a logical progression actually. Think of the prequels as flashbacks which drive the original trilogy.

To Pix you listen! Yes, I've done this order too, and it really is deep...:emperor:emperor:emperor

New order

Droids cartoons, 4, Holiday special, 5, Ewok cartoons, 6, Ewok adventures,
...and after I wake up from the self induced coma...
1, 2, Clone Wars cartoon, Clone Wars CG, 2, 3 then watch Star Tours Dancing with the Stars on youtube.

Back