A question about POTA Brent

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr2red

Super Freak
Reaction score
He doesn't look like James Franciscus, is there a reason why?
I know James is deceased perhaps they could not get the rights
to use his likeness.

I am thinking of picking him up but awaiting more info
Thanks

Shhhhhhh. This is a very touchy subject in these Sideshow populated parts. And I guess its somewhat because I couldn't get over the lack of likeness. That having been said, the last official story from Sideshow was that the likeness could not be secured from the Franciscus estate.
However, It is actually a better looking figure in person than in the pix. If you can repaint his eyes to look forward instead of the semi-maniacal sideways stare he has, he's even better.
If you remount his head on a Dragon tan body, he looks more accurate in height, and even better with just the undershirt and dogtags.

Oh no, not this again.
Sorry but this issue was very controversial a few months ago, so we dare not bring it up again.
It was made clear by Sideshow after quite a bit of complaints and moaning, that they could not get the James Franciscus likeness license. So rather then not releasing a Brant figure, they went ahead anyway.

The result of those events I fear is that Sideshow will never release a character that they do not have the actor's likeness rights for.
So since Connery said No to a Ramirez from Highlander, we'll never see that release. Which is a shame since that costume would be impossible to pull of by ourselves. :(

Edit:
Ironman & I posted at the same time.

Oops Sorry, I had no idea that there was any past issues with the figure
as I was not here at that time.
All said and done he is a well made and attractive figure. He costume is great
as well. I would blond up the hair as well if I was talented enough to alter
the figure myself. I guess I should be happy that they made the figure at
all, so I am.

Thank you Sideshow for making Brent and please make somemore
POTA please

well if you dont like the likeness, I know a very talented customizer who could re-paint it for you. He has repainted one before and it looks just like him. The customizer is Les Walker.:D He's been in the business for a long time and is very talented.

heres a link, theres also a pic of a re-painted Brent on the page too.

https://figuremasterles.tripod.com/id14.html

EDIT: Les is actually booked out with re-paints, but will be taking more orders in Feb. But just give him a yell, hes a great guy.

and check out that Lugosi and Christopher Lees repaint!:google :horror

Last edited:
Those are some very nice repaints, but, it just isn't Franciscus. I had a guy working on a custom, hopefully I'll hear something soon.

I still think that you will make a wise choice in getting Brent Dr. I bought the Astronaut and Slave version and although he is not dead on target in the sculpt, he is VERY passable. I have no regrets in buying him and would not part with either version!

Poor Brent. He never did get a fair shake.

POTAAPES016.jpg
POTAAPES017.jpg

BrentshotinheadBPOTA.jpg

dr2red said:
Oops Sorry, I had no idea that there was any past issues with the figure
as I was not here at that time.
All said and done he is a well made and attractive figure. He costume is great
as well. I would blond up the hair as well if I was talented enough to alter
the figure myself. I guess I should be happy that they made the figure at
all, so I am.

Thank you Sideshow for making Brent and please make somemore
POTA please

Hello Dr2Red
Glad that you asked Sideshow for more Apes and joing in on the bandwagon with us to get more Ape figures.
Have you bought the Brent yet? I have posted some pics of him in the Show your shelves section. It isn't the Astronaut but the Slave version; but they are the same sculpt. This may give you a better angel to look at him with.

I loved your pics Dr. Zaius.
Makes me want to take all of my figures
and play with them.
I am waiting for a better price on Brent if possible.
I have been checking the net but no bargains yet.

Thanks

Of all my 12 inch figures I love my POTA the best.

I was able to pick up brent for a reasonable price.
I don't care for his shifty eyes though.
Might have to consider doing something about
that and lightening his hair.

Repainting the eyes to look forward definitely helps. And putting the head on a Dragon body so the height is correct doesn't hurt either.

Sure!!! And with the jacket off and just the under shirt on a tan DML body, he looks like he's ready to bury the skipper!!

Is there any particular Dragon body or any old one will do?
Is it hard to take off the head?

Thanks

I preferred one of the tan, newer Neo type Dragons.
I heated the head with a hair dryer and popped it off with a small flathead screwdriver. Had no problems, and I've switched hundreds of heads.

Back