What Dinosauria pieces do you want Sideshow to make?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scar

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone's personal wish lists look like for the line, so I thought I might get the ball rolling with a few thoughts.

First, a Velociraptor vs. Protoceratops diorama. This seems like a no-brainer. It's one of the most famous examples of prehistoric combat captured in the fossil record. The Velociraptor's recurved hind claw on its left leg embedded in the belly of the Protoceratops while it grips at the frill of the diminutive ceratopsian with its left forelimb. The Protoceratops is by no means the defenseless prey in this battle, clutching the Velociraptor's right forelimb in its beak and crushing it in an embrace not unlike a modern Snapping turtle, refusing to let go lest it give up its life to the tenacious Dromaeosaur. It would make for an extremely dynamic, albeit brutal, diorama... making it one which I sincerely hope SS decides to tackle.

While the two dinosaurs mentioned above are more diminutive, the next two on my list are titans known well throughout not only paleontological circles but to the public as well. An Allosaurus vs. Stegosaurus diorama also has a great measure of potential. We have healed wounds on both Allosaurus and Stegosaurus specimens that lead us to the conclusion that these two definitely encountered each other in acts of at least attempted depredation. Stegosaurus in either maquette or diorama rendering would be just fine. Again there's a great deal of potential for a fantastic color scheme, encompassing the plates. While it did most definitely have a diminutive brain case, it also has one of the most fascinating defensive builds. To have such a small cranium to body ratio could well have been both to minimize the starkness and vulnerability of the cranium as a target by shrinking it over evolutionary time, but also escalating the size of the body itself and bringing the cranium so low to the ground, making the body much more imposing, particularly when heightened more still by the ornamentation and weaponry - the plates and the tail spikes. It certainly does make the mind spin as to what environmental pressures could have placed the Stegosaurus head so low to the ground, raise its solid center mass, and bestow a tail with a wide range of attack. The answer is that organisms evolve parallel to one another. Evolving is much like swimming upstream - if you aren't constantly moving forward you inevitably move backward, terminating in extinction. Stegosaurus could well have developed in this manner in response to the increasingly prevalent and successful alpha predator in its environment - the Allosaurus.

To have the Stegosaurus locked in combat with the predator deemed "the lion of Jurassic North America" would be a wonderful spectacle to behold. Across the fossil record you see a lot of theropods built for speed, a lot specialized for strength, but what you have in the Allosaurus is perhaps the most successful theropod generalist. It achieves spectacular size and sacrifices neither speed nor strength on its evolutionary trek. It was capable of achieving great distances at an accelerated pace, but its jaws are extremely remarkable when looked at with greater scrutiny. Unlike the dentition lining the mouth of Tyrannosaurus rex, whose teeth were capable of pulverizing anything and everything unfortunate enough to be caught within them, Allosaurus teeth could saw through flesh like a knife through butter, and certainly rip small dinosaurs into even smaller pieces, but the larger herbivores in its environment would have had large chunks of flesh gouged out while still alive. The upper jaw is more robust and contains more teeth than the narrow, tapering lower jaw, leading one to the assumption that it is the primary tool of attack. Allosaurus jaws are continually referred to as a hatchet, with the upper jaw slamming into prey, digging a deep wound; the lower jaw is then brought up to assist the upper in excising a sizable amount of flesh. Afterward, the Allosaurus could remain close to its prey while it weakened from blood loss before moving in for the coup de grace. The resultant design encompassing both the jaws and teeth was ideally suited for inflicting deep lacerating wounds. These, however, were not an Allosaurus' only tools of attack. The immense claws on the hands of Allosaurus, one particularly large claw situated on the innermost digit on each hand, could have acted like meat hooks, latching onto the prey while the animal delivers devastating bites, and even potentially kicking with hind claws, as some more recent hypotheses speculate, like today's avian raptors and felines, digging deep, eviscerating lashes. A diorama could be posed with an open-mawed Allosaur charging a Stegosaurus and the Stegosaurus raises its tail like a flail mace to bring down upon its assailant. Perhaps a deep wound just behind the ribs of the Stegosaurus and a puncture in the Allosaurus from the armored herbivore. Just some stream of consciousness thought, but I like the potential.

These are the first two I would like to see SS give some attention. Any other thoughts?

My favorite dino is Anklyosaurus!!!

ankylosaurus.jpg

I'm with Reinhardt, I'm only collecting the maquettes in this line, unless a particular vs. dio really strikes me. So while Stegosaurus vs. Allosaurus sounds cool, I'm really hoping to get the Steg in maquette form. It'd be awesome if they did both because I'd get both. Otherwise I'm down with whatever they want to make. My instincts are to list the dinosaurs I know, but they are also the best known ones and I like that Sideshow is doing some of the lesser known ones.

Stegosaurus would be my first choice, and I think we might just see one at SDCC!

Pterodactyl has been on my mind, but I'm not sure how SS would tackle the piece. Obviously they have worked with winged creatures before, but I'm just not sure how a Pterodactyl would come out. I guess I am concerned, but I will keep the faith.

Can't wait for the new preorder during SDCC, Sunday! :D

I'm thinking the SDCC pre-order may be a vs. piece. We've had three maquettes and with this one being so close to the styro a vs. piece seems logical.

I was thinking the same thing when I was making my original post. We may be due for a versus diorama. The nice thing about SDCC reveals is that those attending have a chance to check the prototype out in person. I'll be there Sunday, hunting down the new Dionsauria piece! :D

A Plesiosaur dio or maquette would be great.

Pterodactyl

Well, unfortunately there are some problems here. Both of those animals are reptiles, one marine and the other taking to the skies. Neither are actually dinosaurs. My sincere hope is that Sideshow expands to more than just dinosaurs with this line, branching either to other animals that also shared the world with dinosaurs, or to a wider range of prehistoric fauna entirely. I would take a short-necked pliosaur over a long-necked plesiosaur ANY day of the week. Pliosaurs had skulls as long as the entire bodies of plesiosaurs and were designed to crush and pulverize these smaller reptiles. Give me a statue of a 60 foot marine reptile with a 10 feet long skull and I'll be happy. Indisputably one of the largest and surely one of the most fearsome predators ever to grace the planet. A maquette, or even a dio, would not be difficult.

I was thinking the same thing when I was making my original post. We may be due for a versus diorama. The nice thing about SDCC reveals is that those attending have a chance to check the prototype out in person. I'll be there Sunday, hunting down the new Dionsauria piece! :D

I adore the maquettes, but if the first piece were a maquette rather than a diorama, I don't think reaction to the piece would have been quite as enthusiastic. The visceral dynamism of the diorama gripped dinosaur fans and struck home with what we all know and love about these creatures. A healthy mix of maquettes and dioramas can keep everyone happy, encapsulating what they looked like and how they interacted.

Let us know what you find at Comic-Con! :rock

I'm sure Sideshow will include the pteradactyl at the very least and maybe the pliosaur or plesiosaur as well since to most people those are dinosaurs. If I recall correctly the pleasiosaur or pliosaur was on the poll they did awhile back.

Hey! I am watching The Lost World and I'm almost certain we are getting a Stegosaurus at SDCC. The tease in the new video looks exactly like the Stego's tail! What do you guys think?

Im with most people on here that prefur the maquette over the dio's. Im not saying the last dio was bad...it just doesnt do it for me at all. It lookes very cramped and the base is way to small....why do they look like their flying?
But if they come out with a dio with a huge base that can capture a brilliant fight scene or some kind of interaction...I'll get it. But I still prefur the maquette's.

Chris

I'd be thrilled with a Stegosaurus and a Triceratops. Those are the two I would definitely buy.

I'd also love a Velociraptor, and maybe a Parasaurolophus. I think an Iguanadon would also be a staple in the series due to it's historical importance.

A little OT, but I have to share!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/5eQ3LDhGfpU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/5eQ3LDhGfpU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Bkgr2kKnmH4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Bkgr2kKnmH4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/6mvpVmXIbjU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/6mvpVmXIbjU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/YAju363IMAI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/YAju363IMAI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/XyxHX0ENZ14&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/XyxHX0ENZ14&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

One of my earliest memories. Modeled by Phil Tippett (the SW guy). RIP Christopher Reeve. :monkey2

OMG!!! I had a tape of this and watched it ALLLLLL the time when I was a kid. I thought it was so amazing!

Same here, bro! I watched the heck out of that tape. Eventually, you grow up, the tape gets lost, never to be seen again. The effects hold up tremendously well today, and even then, most CG still doesn't have the "weight" and realism that stop motion characters had.

Wow, I still have all those tapes in box set. Also comes with a cool poster.

Personally I prefer the maquettes too with a ceratosaurus as my top pick. If it had to be a dio, then a ceratosaurus vs. a stego would be a must have. Second choice would be the dueling raptor and protoceratops, while my final choice would be the pliosaur liopleurodon preying on a plesiosaur. In all likelihood I suspect a stego maquette would be the next offering which is cool with me.

Back