Run! It's the BLOB!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arctic goo...

someone in the comments on that site mentioned the raft from creepshow 2 and thats what it reminded me of too. :lol

WELL . . .

Based on the original movie and the remake, we can freeze it and contain it in the arctic cold weather . . . then again . . . the arctic is not cold as it used to be.

We can take the Japanese approach as they did with THE H-MAN and simply incinerate it.

I too thought of CREEPSHOW 2 when I first read about it. Creepy indeed.

I liked this comment:
I have been researching "blogs" like this, albeit smaller, for the last 15 years. One thing that my research shows is that there is usually a "meteor" involved. The current theory that this is some sort of a biological probe. The "probe" explores our oceans and reports back using bioluminescence in a light spectrum that is above the UV range. The fact that previous ones were small and this one so large alarms me. Previous ones I investigated appeared in tropical waters and in large fresh water bodies and were no larger than 200 meters long by 50 meters wide. This one might be have another purpose than research, I hope I am wrong.

Sounds like a set-up for a new movie a la "Blair Witch". With ominous undertones like finding what was left of a bird in it and then sillyness like calling it "gooey", and this one was brilliant:

"If it was something we'd seen before, we'd be able to say something about it."

Thats just hair mat from all of us shaving,crapping and showering etc.. lol.

This world is so polluted!!! Did you see the thing thats growing in our sewers!!EWW!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/TcKpx2DxGwY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/TcKpx2DxGwY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This world is so polluted!!! Did you see the thing thats growing in our sewers!!EWW!!

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=https://www.youtube.com/v/TcKpx2DxGwY&hl=en&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Nasty looking, but probably tubiflex.

Looks like something else but I'm not saying. :monkey1

arctic_blob_0717.jpg

https://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1911517,00.html?xid=rss-fullnation-yahoo

Test results released Thursday showed the blob wasn't oil, but a plant — a massive bloom of algae. While that may seem less dangerous, a lot of people are still uneasy. It's something the mostly Inupiat Eskimo residents along Alaska's northern coast say they could never remember seeing before.

Algal blooms are a common and often menacing event along many U.S. coastlines. Some strains are toxic and can close beaches and poison seafood, posing a hazard to consumers. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration maintains a forecasting system for the Gulf of Mexico to warn of harmful Florida blooms. On Thursday, on the other side of the continent, U.S. Sen. Olympia Snowe, a Maine Republican, urged NOAA to direct at least $500,000 to assess a disastrous red tide — a form of algal bloom. "The state of Maine is currently besieged by the most virulent red tide event ever recorded in the region," Snowe wrote. "As a result of this outbreak, virtually the entire coast of our state has been closed to the harvest of clams, mussels, ocean quahogs, and other shellfish."

While Alaskans may find the algal blob unusual if not frightening, scientists say that algal blooms are nothing new in Arctic Ocean waters, though the blob itself might be a little weird. Brenda Konar, a marine biology professor at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, said algal outbreaks can and do occur even in icy Arctic waters. It just takes the right combination of nutrients, light and water temperature, she said. "Algae blooms," she says. "It's sort of like a swimming pool that hasn't been cleaned in a while." The blob, Konar said, is a microalgae made up of "billions and billions of individuals." "We've observed large blooms in the past off Barrow although none of them at all like this," Barry Sherr, an Oregon State University professor of oceanography, said in an e-mail. "The fact that the locals say they've never seen anything like it suggests that it might represent some exotic species which has drifted into the region, perhaps as a result of global change. For the moment that's just a guess."

So far in Alaska, nothing suggests the Chukchi Sea blob is toxic, although the Coast Guard's Hasenauer said toxicity tests were planned. In any case, virtually no commercial seafood production comes from the waters along Alaska's northern coast, but residents do fish, hunt whales and harvest other animals as part of a traditional subsistence lifestyle. In the meantime, the blob for the most part is staying away from the shoreline and slowly drifting farther and farther away.

:( I has hoping it was the BLOB.

Back