clear mask?
disfigurements?

Devil_666
07-14-2009, 06:20 PM
wtf were they thinking?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ortiz344
07-14-2009, 06:35 PM
...but if it sucks ,looks ridiculous and is nothing like the CC everyone was wanting/expecting...?

The Mike
07-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Its the director's way to be edgy. Ironically if you look at the back of the packaging of the 1:6 figure the mask isn't translucent.

Shai
07-14-2009, 07:10 PM
**** cobra commander

MANDO
07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
**** cobra commander

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

Deeznutz6
07-14-2009, 07:25 PM
They could have given him a beard and a cane and thrown in a fart here and there...

wofford29
07-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm still at a loss that Joseph Gordon Levitt made the choice to play Cobra Commander. He is one of the best up and coming young actors in Hollywood and has done nothing but been ultra selective in his projects, sticking mainly to indie films and then all of a sudden decides he's going to make perhaps what looks to be one of the worst films of all time. Thank God he's got "500 Days of Summer" out right now for his fans to try and forget about this.

occulum
07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
kinda reminds me of a kroenen wanna-be ... :monkey1

laudanum09
07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I dunno maybe Gordon Levitt thought it'd be fun to get paid a ton of cash to play CC in a movie that no one is going to and should try and take seriously. It's disappointing they did this but it will be a popcorn movie, so there's really little risk even if his performance is embarrassing. It's not a 100 percent perfect analogy but take Samuel L. Jackson in Snakes on a Plane, a horrible, horrible (and wonderful) movie. Jackson likely knew this when going into it, but he is already a well respected actor. the film wasn't meant to be more than an over the top affair so I doubt its really hurt his career.

I agree this film looks quite terrible, but CC is the only reason I'm going to watch this aside from Destro. I'm almost 100 percent okay with the design of the Doctor because it's like the only way something like this
http://inadawords.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/cobra-commander-battle-armor.jpg
would work on film.

Sure it's not the hood or reflective helmet, but I kind of enjoy the new look. He kind of reminds me of psycho-mantis from MGS...it all really depends on how well Gordon Levitt does in convincing us he's CC...I remember the outrage when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker...how could a pretty boy gay cowboy become the clown prince of crime? And he wears makeup??...I give Gordon Levitt a chance. He's a good actor and all we've seen is an action figure and one photo.

Kibishii
07-14-2009, 09:13 PM
**** cobra commander

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

IrishJedi
07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
They (Sommers and the other retarded Hollywood hacks) actually think this looks better and "cooler" than the established Cobra Commander. Same with every other character in the film.

I almost can't blame them. It would be like yelling at an infant for pooping its diapers. They can't help it. They're really just that lame.

Instead, I'm much, much, much more pissed and appalled by Hasbro and that they would go along with this foolishness. Then again, they also did Cobra-La and Sigma 6...

It's Hasbro and the ass kissers at sites like HISSTank.com that deserve a real hearty kick to the shins.

laudanum09
07-14-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't know if anyone is saying it's better or cooler but I think it's an interesting interpretation. I haven't seen how levitt handles himself in the role and the new look so who knows. Everything else I am willing to dismiss but we haven't even seen him move or speak. We can make aesthetic judgments which is fine, but I for one enjoy the look. There are always old comics to fall back on, but I'm open minded about Levitt as CC albeit not the film as a whole.

EVILFACE
07-14-2009, 09:41 PM
You must be new.

Devil_666
07-14-2009, 09:41 PM
...but if it sucks ,looks ridiculous and is nothing like the CC everyone was wanting/expecting...?

You're using "everyone" as if the entire viewing audience of a film is familiar with the source material and a fan. That's just not the case. There will be countless people who have no clue what G.I. Joe is who will go and see this piece of crap and think it's awesome. That's just how it is. Most people who have no idea what G.I. Joe is will see this because 1) The action looks cool to them and/or 2) There's a particular actor in it they like. Simple.

Shai
07-14-2009, 09:45 PM
One thing for sure, this movie will make Ninjas cool again...:duh

Devil_666
07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
I didn't see any ninjas!? They must be doing their "thang" hiding and what not. :lol

*EDIT

OHHHHHH.. you mean.. OHHHHHHH.. no.

Shai
07-14-2009, 09:52 PM
:rotfl:rotfl:lol

laudanum09
07-14-2009, 10:29 PM
You must be new.

really so there's footage out of cobra commander speaking and acting? I guess I missed out on it, where can I find it? Because I thought for sure no one had seen either aside from him standing in a trailer and a crappy action figure. that's all I was mentioning being open minded about in my post, something I hadn't seen anything of yet. and all I've been reading around here and elsewhere is complete dismissal of CC's look, not heaps of praise for it being 'cooler' and 'better' than the original. If anything positive I've read people expressing moderate interest. I guess I should keep up.

And I'm someone familiar with the Gi joe history, but actually pleased with the way the mindbender/cc hybrid ended up looking. I also like the art on the action figure cards. I never said anything about expecting a great film or something that bears fidelity to the source material.

Devil_666
07-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I'll say this much, based off the Hasbro action figure of Cobra Commander.. I mean the Diggy Doctor.. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is F'n ripped up now!!! Makes Sylvester Stallone look like a little girlie man. Those Hasbro figures are accurate, right?

/Sarcasm

EVILFACE
07-14-2009, 10:38 PM
snip .

My post was in response to the creator of this thread.

But anyway, to your post, the Cobra Commander in this movie looks like ^^^^ and backstory leading up to becoming CC is stupid. I don't care how he is acted.

thenammagazine
07-14-2009, 10:43 PM
You're using "everyone" as if the entire viewing audience of a film is familiar with the source material and a fan. That's just not the case. There will be countless people who have no clue what G.I. Joe is who will go and see this piece of crap and think it's awesome. That's just how it is. Most people who have no idea what G.I. Joe is will see this because 1) The action looks cool to them and/or 2) There's a particular actor in it they like. Simple.

Replace "everyone" with "any real G.I. Joe fan with an ounce of self respect" and you'll get what he meant. ;)

The Mike
07-14-2009, 11:05 PM
really so there's footage out of cobra commander speaking and acting?

I thought that something was posted online that Cobra Commander never actually speaks that he is referred to as CC at the end of the film by Destro....

Devil_666
07-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Replace "everyone" with "any real G.I. Joe fan with an ounce of self respect" and you'll get what he meant. ;)

...but if it sucks ,looks ridiculous and is nothing like the CC any real G.I. Joe fan with an ounce of self respect was wanting/expecting...?

Same response. Same point.

You're using "any real G.I. Joe fan with an ounce of self respect" as if the entire viewing audience of a film is familiar with the source material and a fan. That's just not the case. There will be countless people who have no clue what G.I. Joe is who will go and see this piece of crap and think it's awesome. That's just how it is. Most people who have no idea what G.I. Joe is will see this because 1) The action looks cool to them and/or 2) There's a particular actor in it they like. Simple.

thenammagazine
07-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Same response. Same point.

You're using "any real G.I. Joe fan with an ounce of self respect" as if the entire viewing audience of a film is familiar with the source material and a fan. That's just not the case. There will be countless people who have no clue what G.I. Joe is who will go and see this piece of crap and think it's awesome. That's just how it is. Most people who have no idea what G.I. Joe is will see this because 1) The action looks cool to them and/or 2) There's a particular actor in it they like. Simple.

Hey bub? Your point is invalid. Wouldn't the bolded part above qualify them as NOT being:

"any real G.I. Joe fan with an ounce of self respect"

You didn't pay attention to the gist of my post. :lol

Beerbelly Bob
07-15-2009, 01:04 AM
**** cobra commander

:lol I couldn't have said it better myself. **** is right.

I can't believe they are doing this to our beloved GI JOE. It's almost like they are torturing the long time fans on purpose.

Devil_666
07-15-2009, 01:05 AM
I don't think you're getting the gist of what I'm saying bro. He asked:

wtf were they thinking?

And I replied:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No big studio is gonna dump 100's of millions of dollars on a movie strictly for hardcore fans that can only be appreciated by said fans. So yeah, they're gonna make changes to character designs and character back stories if they think THAT will appeal to a broader audience. That's just reality. A little kid under 10 isn't gonna give a flying F' about Cobra Commanders design being wrong. They're gonna love that POS figure. And love the character in the movie. That's the reality. Non-fans will like the look of the re-designed characters. They aren't gonna care about all the stuff people are crying about in here. And guess what? THOSE are the people that make or break products: Non-fans.

Was the Nintendo Wii successful because of die-hard Nintendo fans!? Hell No. It's because non-fans i.e. non-gamers love that system.

G.I. Joe fans will still pay to see this garbage because it's called G.I. Joe. Maybe not all.. but some. But this film will make the majority of it's money from non-fans.

CelticPredator
07-15-2009, 01:14 AM
I'm not even a GI Joe fan and I think he's crappy looking. A hood would've been sweet. Absolutly nothing wrong with it. I mean, unless the KKK changed from white to blue or somethin :dunno

thenammagazine
07-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Personally, as a movie producer or even an investor, I would've rather risked my millions on a surefire bet of only appealing to hardcore fans (the franchise is a million dollar franchise - if not a billion dollar one), than pissing off the target audience (remember, everybody involved has said they're making it "for the fans") and hoping to get new converts based on a silly burned wannabe freddy with a plastic see-through scrotum over his head. They're pulling a Street Fighter all the way with this colostomy bag of a movie. And I'll happily watch as it sinks faster than a meat turd at the box office. I'll honestly be surprised if it makes back it's budget on the theatrical release.

laudanum09
07-15-2009, 01:31 AM
My post was in response to the creator of this thread.

But anyway, to your post, the Cobra Commander in this movie looks like ^^^^ and backstory leading up to becoming CC is stupid. I don't care how he is acted.

And I think he looks quite awesome. I've heard enough of the he looks like ^^^^, he doesn't have a hood, etc. ad nauseam by now and I agree the backstory is ridiculous and it would be awful if he had no dialogue, but are you really saying that aesthetic infidelity is worse than an accurate character portrayal?

Take for example V, hugo weaving was pretty good and gave some good moments to an otherwise terrible adaptation. It'd be silly to say that because it pooed on the source material that weaving's acting didn't matter. I'm simply hoping for some nice moments from a talented actor in what will no doubt be at minimum a disappointing film. As a Joe fan, I want to keep open minded. Tis all.

CelticPredator
07-15-2009, 01:31 AM
I'd just try to make a good movie, and sticking as close to the source material as possible.

Pleasing only the hardcores would not do well....it just ends up looking like a bunch of homages stuck together with a crappy story only the uber nerds would get. There IS a middle ground, as seen in TDK, Iron Man, Spider-Man 1-2, and Transformers.

CelticPredator
07-15-2009, 01:32 AM
And I think he looks quite awesome. I've heard enough of the he looks like ^^^^, he doesn't have a hood, etc. ad nauseam by now and I agree the backstory is ridiculous and it would be awful if he had no dialogue, but are you really saying that aesthetic infidelity is worse than an accurate character portrayal?

Take for example V, hugo weaving was pretty good and gave some good moments to an otherwise terrible adaptation. It'd be silly to say that because it pooed on the source material that weaving's acting didn't matter. I'm simply hoping for some nice moments from a talented actor in what will no doubt be at minimum a disappointing film. As a Joe fan, I want to keep open minded. Tis all.

All find and dandy.....but seriously....CC looks like ^^^^. :lol

DinoLast
07-15-2009, 01:33 AM
All find and dandy.....but seriously....CC looks like ^^^^. :lol

Yeah, but the whole film looks ^^^^.

thenammagazine
07-15-2009, 01:51 AM

Street Fighter The Movie had Raul Julia. Name one redeeming quality from that flick. You don't have to eat a turd to know it tastes like ^^^^.

Devil_666
07-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Personally, as a movie producer or even an investor, I would've rather risked my millions on a surefire bet of only appealing to hardcore fans (the franchise is a million dollar franchise - if not a billion dollar one), than pissing off the target audience (remember, everybody involved has said they're making it "for the fans") and hoping to get new converts based on a silly burned wannabe freddy with a plastic see-through scrotum over his head. They're pulling a Street Fighter all the way with this colostomy bag of a movie. And I'll happily watch as it sinks faster than a meat turd at the box office. I'll honestly be surprised if it makes back it's budget on the theatrical release.

Agreed 100% I'm just stating the reality of it.

EVILFACE
07-15-2009, 02:02 AM

There is NOTHING awesome looking about the movie CC. He looks terrible.

http://images.warnerbrosrecords.com/drupal6x/cores/latest/sites/mcr/files/images/Rise%20Of%20Cobra%20Cobra%20Commander_0.JPG

You can't compare movie CC to movie V. Weaving did a fantastic job AND looked just like the character from the book.

thenammagazine
07-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Agreed 100% I'm just stating the reality of it.

The reality of it is that those who are pining over this aren't what I'd call "real G.I. Joe fans."

DinoLast
07-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Lol. It's Wolverine Origins all over again

thenammagazine
07-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Lol. It's Wolverine Origins all over again

Not really. Despite the story being flat, Wolverine was still Wolverine. Now if the movie had been called "X-Men Origins: Deadpool," that comment would be more valid, because what they did to Deadpool (aka Weapon XI) is pretty much what they're doing to G.I. Joe. :lol

DinoLast
07-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Not really. Despite the story being flat, Wolverine was still Wolverine. Now if the movie had been called "X-Men Origins: Deadpool," that comment would be more valid, because what they did to Deadpool (aka Weapon XI) is pretty much what they're doing to G.I. Joe. :lol

What I meant by it being wolverine origins all over again is when the first figure of Deadpool came out, that's when everybody realised how awful he was going to look in the movie. It seems to be happening all over again with this figure.

EVILFACE
07-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Yea, but it sucks even worse cause Cobra Commander > Deadpool.

Who cares how Deapool ended up in that flick, it wasn't his movie.

DinoLast
07-15-2009, 02:32 AM
Here he is in the Combat Heroes range
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2008/joepack.jpg

Devil_666
07-15-2009, 02:39 AM
awww.. that's a cute ^^^^^. <---MEOW.

EVILFACE
07-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Yea, the clear plastic ****** mask!

thenammagazine
07-15-2009, 03:21 AM
What I meant by it being wolverine origins all over again is when the first figure of Deadpool came out, that's when everybody realised how awful he was going to look in the movie. It seems to be happening all over again with this figure.

Then you sir, would be correct! :p

laudanum09
07-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Street Fighter The Movie had Raul Julia. Name one redeeming quality from that flick. You don't have to eat a turd to know it tastes like ^^^^.

1 redeeming quality? Well you already said it, Raul Julia. I'll name 1 more, Zangief and E. Honda fight. And I really like the Street Fighter Movie, maybe I'm a bit of a coporophiliac. oh well to each his own. I give up now. :monkey2

ortiz344
07-15-2009, 07:32 AM

yeap what he said, they may as well call the movie "superterrificactionmastersforce" cause this aint gi joe, so why do they pretend that it is...CC doesnt look like that ...not even close, he may as well be a different character altogether

the angry orc
07-15-2009, 07:47 AM
i think 'what's with...' can be used multiple times for things in the movie.

thenammagazine
07-15-2009, 09:27 AM
1 redeeming quality? Well you already said it, Raul Julia. I'll name 1 more, Zangief and E. Honda fight. And I really like the Street Fighter Movie, maybe I'm a bit of a coporophiliac. oh well to each his own. I give up now. :monkey2

There was no redeeming quality. Raul Julia's acting in Street Fighter was worse than Van Dam. Matter of fact, the movie was so bad, I still believe it's what caused his heart to go bad. :(

Kibishii
07-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, I read the Rise of Cobra TPB at Barnes & Noble today

[!!!MAJOR SPOILERS!!!]

...it really sounds like a pretty cool movie with an interesting plot since 90% of it revolves around Destro. HOWEVER, the Baroness and "Cobra Commander" are absolutely butchered from RAH backgrounds.
[ANOTHER MAJOR SPOILER WARNING, DON'T SAY I DIDN"T WARN YOU]

Ok, all of this happens at the very end of the movie, so 90% of the movie may be good...but the next 10% or so is really, really bad:
From what I read, Cobra Commander is really Dr. Mindbender, without calling him Dr. Mindbender; you know, the mad scientist who creates technology to control people and he has a cobra in a pit to "test" his subjects to see if they are 100% submissive to his will. He also creates a machine that gives Zartan playdoh like skin.

Dr. Rex is really pissed because years ago, Duke left Dr. Rex behind to die after a fight that only left him with scars all over. Duke was also engaged to the Baroness (she had blond hair), who was Rex's sister. Duke then broke up with the Baroness when she found out that Rex was dead (so she thought) because of his guilt. To help the Baroness be happy, Rex injects her with the nanites and makes her really evil. In the end, the Baroness tries to save Duke, which makes the lab blow up burning Destro's face and the Doctor's body. Destro calls out to the Doctor and Rex puts on the ****** mask and replies, "Call me the Commander." End of movie.

Oh, Storm Shadow works for Destro and kills any man who touches the Baroness, including the Baroness's husband, but he and Snake Eyes have nearly the same backstory as RAH. :sick

the vampire with soul
07-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Well, I read the Rise of Cobra TPB at Barnes & Noble today

[!!!MAJOR SPOILERS!!!]

...it really sounds like a pretty cool movie with an interesting plot since 90% of it revolves around Destro. HOWEVER, the Baroness and "Cobra Commander" are absolutely butchered from RAH backgrounds.
[ANOTHER MAJOR SPOILER WARNING, DON'T SAY I DIDN"T WARN YOU]

Ok, all of this happens at the very end of the movie, so 90% of the movie may be good...but the next 10% or so is really, really bad:
From what I read, Cobra Commander is really Dr. Mindbender, without calling him Dr. Mindbender; you know, the mad scientist who creates technology to control people and he has a cobra in a pit to "test" his subjects to see if they are 100% submissive to his will. He also creates a machine that gives Zartan playdoh like skin.

Dr. Rex is really pissed because years ago, Duke left Dr. Rex behind to die after a fight that only left him with scars all over. Duke was also engaged to the Baroness (she had blond hair), who was Rex's sister. Duke then broke up with the Baroness when she found out that Rex was dead (so she thought) because of his guilt. To help the Baroness be happy, Rex injects her with the nanites and makes her really evil. In the end, the Baroness tries to save Duke, which makes the lab blow up burning Destro's face and the Doctor's body. Destro calls out to the Doctor and Rex puts on the ****** mask and replies, "Call me the Commander." End of movie.

Oh, Storm Shadow works for Destro and kills any man who touches the Baroness, including the Baroness's husband, but he and Snake Eyes have nearly the same backstory as RAH. :sick

Still sounds Bad to me.:monkey4

CelticPredator
07-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Sorry, but thats so old news. But whatever. :)

EVILFACE
07-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Sounds stupid, but so does the whole movie.

Cobra King
07-19-2009, 04:00 PM
i hope this movie will suprise me and be good

MANDO
07-19-2009, 04:01 PM
You're better off trying to win the lottery.