Arturo "Thunder" Gatti Found Dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devil_666

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2009-07-11-489790184_x.htm

SAO PAULO — Officials say former world boxing champion Arturo Gatti has been found dead in a hotel room in northeastern Brazil.

A spokeswoman for the public safety department of Pernambuco state says the body of the former junior welterweight champ was discovered on Saturday morning in the posh seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas, where he arrived on Friday with his wife and one-year-old son.

She said it was unclear how the 37-year-old Canadian died.

"There were no bullet or stab wounds on his body, but police did find blood stains on the floor," she said, adding that his wife and son were unhurt.

The spokeswoman, who did not provide further details, declined to be identified because she was not authorized to comment on the case.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Arturo Gatti

Gatti retired in 2007.

Arturo-Gatti0402-0503c.jpg

Anyone not familiar with Gatti, dude was the definition of heart when it came to fighting. He would take a beating and keep on fighting. Go check out his fights with "Irish" Mickey Ward.

I wonder if some of the beatings this guy took had given him some sort of brain issue he didn't know about. This guy was in some WARS in the ring. Sad to hear he passed away.

Damn, people in Montreal are in shock right now...:horror

Police investigator Edilson Alves told The Associated Press that the body of the former junior welterweight champ was discovered in his room at the tourist resort, where Gatti had arrived on Friday with his Brazilian wife Amanda and 1-year-old son.

Alves said police were investigating and it was unclear how the 37-year-old Canadian died.

“It is still too early to say anything concrete, although it is all very strange,” Alves said. He declined to provide any additional details.

A spokeswoman for the state public safety department said Gatti’s wife and son were unhurt. The woman declined to give a name in keeping with department policy.

There were no bullet or stab wounds on his body, but police did find blood stains on the floor,” she said.

Brazilian boxer and four-time world champion Acelino “Popo” Freitas told the G1 Web site of Brazil’s largest TV network Globo that he was a close friend of Gatti and his wife, and that he “knew they were having some sort of problem and were about to separate.”

Seems fishy. We'll have to wait and see when more details come out.

Maybe someone put a hit on him..who knows right now, i remember seeing his fights on TSN and he seemed like a pretty good boxer..dark times lately, seems like everyone is dying.

Shocked when I heard this.. and police reports say that they're definitely thinking foul play.

New update... His wife has been taken into custody as a suspect after giving contradictory statements.

Don't know much about boxing...but it always saddens me to hear of situations like this.....if this was foul play, hope they get all who were involved.

Their saying he was strangled with a pocket book strap. ESPN Classic will be showing 6 of his best fights today starting a 6pm est.

Watch them if you've never seen him fight. Guaranteed you'll be entertained. My favorite fight from him was when he was losing (I forget the opponent) and BOTH his eyes were cut (like usual :lol) and the Ref/Doc told him one more round and they were stopping the fight. And in his corner Gatti was lying his ass off pretending he could see (he was pretty much blind at that point) just to keep fighting. And in that last round, do or die he won by KO!!! Awesome.

Jeez, first McNair gets killed by his girl and now (possibly) Gatti has been killed by his wife. Needless to say, I've been sleeping with one eye open next to my wifey. :D

Yup I was just reading that right now. Lousy investigators should get all the full facts instead of accusing someone right away.

Back