I survived a hot air balloon crash!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgMatinee

circlesendwheretheybegin
Reaction score
On the 4th my wife and I had the opportunity to fly in a balloon in Raton NM and we ended up being the only 2 people (plus our pilot) to fly that day because all the other pilots were too smart...I mean too chicken...to fly due to winds.

Well, not our pilot. I should have known better when I saw his boots were Evel Knievalish...

So since my wife and I drove 200 miles just to do it, he took us up. It was my job to hold one end of the balloon while it inflated...tough work since I only weigh 150 lbs.

Once the balloon was inflated the wind started really carrying it so the pilot yells, "get in get in!" so like good sheeple my wife and I get in! :horror

They unhitch the rope holding us to an F150 and we are off like a goddamn rocket. In about 30 seconds we are like 2000 feet in the air and cruisin.

Over the next 15 minutes we are flying high maybe went south about 3 miles and its time to land...we start to descend and this is my favorite part because as you get closer to the ground you really notice how fast you're traveling. The pilot estimated were were going about 25 mph. :wacky

So theres a clearing near a dirt road that we are heading for and skimming near the surface and so we land at about 20-25 miles and hour and hit the bottom corner of the basket and I almost fly out because natural instinct is to let go and protect your head. :lol After the first bump I realize I could break my freaking arm if it hits the ground at that speed, so I hold on better and we drag like 40' to a stop and I'm trying to get out but realize my jacket it UNDER the basket and I'm stuck so I have to wriggle our of my coat. :lol Everyone was fine and now I have the most exciting thing to happen to me in a while to share. Oh and my wife was scared so she sat on the floor for the crash. lol.

I will never do that again though unless I am with the most anal pilot. I'll post picks of our luny pilot tonight.

Awesome Prog! :rock :rock :rock

I will NEVER ride in one of those. I wam too much of a wuss. :eek:

it was a cool flight, but I definately prefered when we were lower, not necessarly because of a fear of heights, I just thought it felt more like being superman or something to glide 100-200 feet above ground rather than 2000.

not of the crash in progress;), but I think we might have pics of the divet and drag marks. not sure if the wife took inflight pictures. I do have shots of the pilot and of "the initiation ritual" that these folks tried on us afterwards. :lol

I think you had a good pilot. Nothing like being adventurous on an adventure. You really didn't crash, or you'd have landed in power lines or a lake or on someones house. I think your pilot took advantage of the fact that you'd never flown before, plus having to drive 200 miles, showing your enthusiasm, what was he to do? I'd say he was experienced.

Coming down is always a little rough. Crashes happen in slow motion no matter how fast you're going. Yes, it could have been ideal, in ideal conditions, with no wind, but you would have just gone up and down. Which you could have done that in an elevator. At least you got to cover some ground.

crazy_pilot.jpg

yep all good points. I just like to dramacize it otherwise my life is as exciting as elevators and escalators.

It was a great read Prog. Most enjoyable. I know a woman who just got a front loading washing machine and likes to sit and watch it. It's been a week already. :lol Spins one way. Spins the other. Sheer fascination. :lol I get my jollies watching the hard drive defrag. :eek:

:lol ... I work with a guy who has a similar story.
He said they were skimming the tops of trees on the way down trying to land and flying down in behind people's homes. There were mounds of dirt around from construction and that everytime they got near one he wanted to shove his girlfriend out cause he didnt know if that would be his only chance to get her on the ground safely ... :lol

I think you should bombard his email with some of your trademark argumentative posts. That will learn him. :lecture

Glad you guys are ok though! :duff

I am not argumentative!!!!!!! I refuse to accept that, how dare you! Why do you have to insult my character?
:D

I am not argumentative!!!!!!! I refuse to accept that, how dare you! Why do you have to insult my character?
:D

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Dude I would never go up in one of those things. That and ferris wheels. I have been on some of the tallest rollercoasters and the actual tallest one in the world. I didn't think twice!

Now hot air balloons and ferris wheels? No thanks! :lol

yes. a ferris wheel is no fun unless the chairs unhinge from the supreme centrifical force and go tumbling head over heels out into the ocean like shrapnel.

Back