Freak out your iPhone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I signed the forum up for the iPhone app - Tapatalk - which makes the forum more iPhone friendly. You don't have to keep squeeing the screen up and down to look at the threads like you do in safari.

I'm not really recommending this, there are a lot of features not supported - no access to PMs or the gallery or the home page, the load time is really bad even on wireless (although I guess safari would be worse) and there are many other features that I missed.

But you can display only subscribed threads - so that's a plus. And looking at pictures in a thread is great - you tap on the thumbnail and it opens up the picture full screen and then you can scroll through the pics in that post. Try it out on Maulfan's Darth Vader thread.

Couple of more drawbacks - it costs $2.99 to install (none of which goes to me) and you only have the Tapatalk icon displayed on your home page. So you'll have to install Tapatalk and then search for Sideshow Freaks. It's in the Entertainment category. And you'll have to do that each time you want to access the forum.

Here are the instructions on how it works. You can install "tapatalk" from the app store.

If you do install it, please let me know how you like it.

https://www.tapatalk.com/iphone/

SSF_iphone_2.jpg

Dave can you put this on the front page as an announcement? I can zoom into that Icon and save that to my home page which will make my own app.

I've been viewing the ssf forum on my iPhone for a couple of weeks now without to many problems. I may give the new App a try though.

I've got T-mobile's G1 (Google android) so it says they don't have that up and running yet, but once they do, I'd definately love to get a Freak app! :rock

The majority of the time I'm viewing the site is now on my iPhone, as much as my kids are keeping me busy and away from the comfort of my couch and laptop. I will check this out.

I'm new to iPhone webclips. Is it easy to use your icon for that?

Its easy but not that most convenient. You zoom in on a portion by moving your fingers outwards on the screen, with stuff that is the size of a web app it works perfectly.

iphone001.jpg

As you can see the new FREAKS icon works great, the RPF is one I made but it doesn't look at all that great but the Sideshow one is the standard type that people do where its a screenshot of the site which I hate.

The problem is that you are zoomed in and it opens to that size:

iphone003.jpg

But if you zoom out and don't close the page you can continously return to it without having to rezoom out every time.

iphone004.jpg

It'll stay zoomed in every time you tap the link from your home screen which is the unconvenient part but if you tap your home screen and don't close the page itself it will not revert back until closed out. If Dave put on a version of the "app button" on the front page that was huge in the announcements page you could be zoomed out and capture it in the same way then just collapse the announcement and have it open normally. (hint...hint.....)

It'll stay zoomed in every time you tap the link from your home screen which is the unconvenient part but if you tap your home screen and don't close the page itself it will not revert back until closed out. If Dave put on a version of the "app button" on the front page that was huge in the announcements page you could be zoomed out and capture it in the same way then just collapse the announcement and have it open normally. (hint...hint.....)

Isn't there also a way to save an image to use for that webclips feature? I know there was a thread awhile back about an SS Freaks icon, but I believe those icons go away after awhile. :dunno

Its a middleman kind of thing. I don't remember the site but you can upload an image and then type in a website and create a link that you can download into your iPhone. When that one was active it wouldn't open SSF immediately, it'd open up that site, pause and then open up SSF. When it gets broken its useless. While a bit of a pain because of the zooming this way its a direct link. Some sites have a web app button already preloaded in the page so you don't have to zoom, you just hit "add to home screen" and the screenshot changes to a default image. Southwest, Playboy, most banks all have them where it is set up for you. I am hoping that Sideshow Collectibles itself gets one.

Its a middleman kind of thing. I don't remember the site but you can upload an image and then type in a website and create a link that you can download into your iPhone. When that one was active it wouldn't open SSF immediately, it'd open up that site, pause and then open up SSF. When it gets broken its useless. While a bit of a pain because of the zooming this way its a direct link. Some sites have a web app button already preloaded in the page so you don't have to zoom, you just hit "add to home screen" and the screenshot changes to a default image. Southwest, Playboy, most banks all have them where it is set up for you. I am hoping that Sideshow Collectibles itself gets one.

Cool. Thanks for the info, Mike! And and I agree it would be cool for Sideshow to get one.

Sideshow should get a streamlined app that allows you to order easily from their site without zooming in and out. Like the tapatalk does for the forum.

Back