3PO - shiney poly?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
So after seeing Ironman - anyone want to discuss whether 3-PO could be done in polystone and look fantastic?

The trouble with the character is that it is hard to get any kind of an action pose. His movements are just too rigid.

This kind of pose is good enough for me. Hopefully he'll come in a set with R2.

idroids.jpg

The trouble with the character is that it is hard to get any kind of an action pose. His movements are just too rigid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the PF figures were designed with the same concept as the 1/6 action figures. Hence the limited, if any, poseability. I personally like the pose of Iron Man. As for the other PF figures, I'm happy with their poses. That doesn't mean I wouldn't change them if I could, but personally, once I find a good pose to display them in, that's how they're going to stay displayed.

I think once we let go of the notion of the PF figures as 1/4 versions of the 1/6 figures, we'll begin to enjoy them for what they are... mixed-medium statues.

Eric

PS I agree with Darth Waller.

I think SS has already shown that they can do shiny looking polystone with the Terminator line.

Look at the GG 3PO say what you will about the statue but it looks like metal and its even cool to the touch, I think it's a great piece.

Jess

After seeing Ironman, I'm worried that "shiny poly" is what is going to be used for these characters. I as hoping for a Threepio and R2 made from real parts. Real wires for Threepio's abdomen and real metal for his skeleton. R2 could have a glass eye and a metal skeleton. I'd pay $1,000 easily for a set of those 2 like that. These are supposed to be made of materials that are screen accurate. I probably would pass on painted poly versions of the droids.

If the T2 endo can be metal with lights, why can't these? I'd be extremely disappointed with Ironman if I was a Marvel fan.

Jesseawilson said:
I think SS has already shown that they can do shiny looking polystone with the Terminator line.

Unless I'm missing something, I thought the T2 endo was all metal with a poly base. I don't see any "shiny poly" on it.

I've seen the GG C-3PO in person and wasn't impressed at all. I expect more than that from SS.

I'd pay $1,000 easily for a set of those 2 like that.

Yeah, but not many people would. As a retailer, I'm glad that their prices are a bit more within most people's reach. At $1000 retail, I'd probably just stock one and I'm sure that it would'nt be flying out of the store.

Besides, I think SS is doing a fine job with their PF figures. I think they're getting better with each one. If the figures were 100% movie accurate (ie real wires, metal skeleon, etc.), I think they'd cost even more than $1000.

Eric

MisterToyNYC said:
Yeah, but not many people would.

I know, but I can dream can't I?

I don't know if I completely agree with your statement, though. Look how well the Predator maquette sold. An edition of 1,050 sold out at $999 each. The exclusive sold out within days and the wait list is so long that SS is sending out offers for the regular version. If Predator sells that well, don't underestimate the power of SW.

Gruson and I both want a Boba Fett maquette to get made. I think Cinemaquette will get the SW license in a few years, and this dream may just become a reality.:drool

As far as them being shiny poly I think that would be ok then they can still use some wires and such to make it more "real" for those that want it.

As far as using metal and such to make them cost 1k. Well, I think that would simply be just stupid. You make them high end enough to cover the tastes of those that think high end stuff is the way to be and get the price where most of your base can get it. I would suspect a lot of people are doing the flex pay on the Predator Maquette. If I had the $$$ to get one that's how I would since I don't have 1k just laying around.

I thought like Jesse more than just the base on the T2 was poly but I could be wrong.

the replica Endoskeleton Arm is triple chrome plated resin and is cold to the touch for a real metal feel.

I also think that some of the endo is in fact poly as well.

Jesse

Last edited:
Darth Waller said:
This kind of pose is good enough for me. Hopefully he'll come in a set with R2.

idroids.jpg

Excellent! I love that pose. It'll be interesting to see how SS makes these two; and, yes, they should be released as a set.

I'm with Elwood on this. I've said this before. And even though it looks like I've ordered Ironman, Metallic paint is NOT what i want for the droids. Metal & Wires, boys, Metal & Wires. (end penguin voice).

I think Threepio can be polystone and still have the rubber and wires midsection. I want him as screen accurate as possible too, but if it can be done with polystone, that's fine.

And I think there's a fundamental difference between threepio and the endo, as threepio had a person inside. I'm sure some RPG folks can tell us what the real costume was made of, but I'd bet it wasn't metal.

I actually would prefer poly because it doesn't rust although breakage is more of an issue. From the looks of ironman, shiny poly is doable and likely through multiple coats. It is a fine line between plastic looking poly and metal looking poly, but I don't want to pay 1k for a statue. Sometimes shiny makes it look plastic. I bought the GG 3PO and it's very plastic and light, don't really like it.

My only "requirement" would be that it is 1/4 scale to match the size of the SW 1/4 PF.

Last edited:
kierbaudy said:
My only "requirement" would be that it is 1/4 scale to match the size of the SW 1/4 PF.

Isn't the entire PF Star Wars line going to be in 1/4 scale???

Look at this:

https://www.gentlegiantltd.com/catalog/?id=WEB5881

Arn't the best pics but in person I think it looks like metal. Thats just a $165 statue from GG, I am sure SS can do ten times better

Im kind of worried about the size of R2-D2's Dome if it will be in scale:confused:

Back