Why has Sideshow decided to only release 8-9 figures a year?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am just curious what the real reason is behind Sideshow's decision to limit the releases to 8 - 9 Star Wars figures per year and not just have one figure for every month. Is it because Sideshow does not have the resources, means, or desire to produce 12 figures a year? Or is it because they are worried that their customers wouldn't want to purchase 12 figures a year?

I think, judging by how quickly the Luke and Anakin exclusive figures have sold out, the demand is definitely there for a new figure on a monthly basis. What do you guys think?

Maybe you should just post this question in the "ask Sideshow" section. You're bound to get some pretty crazy theories here that's for sure but if you want an "answer" there is the best place to attempt.

Jesse

Is that a pass? Let's head this off...

Remember, we've only said 8 or 9 in the first year. We've never said only 8 or 9 a year, so theories about 2007 and beyond are pure speculation.

For what it's worth, the decision for 8 or 9 in 2006 was made as a balance between our ability to develop the figures, and sensitivity to the average Star Wars collector's budget. :peace

JustinLuck, well... not every SW fan/collector is as rich as you to afford plenty of figures a year you know. And not everyone one of those only buy SW figures, they do buy and collect other things too.

Just got to strike a balance when it comes to payment. Anyway, what's the rush? Slowly releasing milks the cow :D

I agree. Quality is by far more important than quantity. For one thing it helps the budget as has been stated. The biggest reason, IMHO is we finally have a company doing the figures the way they should be done. If it takes extra time to get them right so be it. So far, I am very happy with the entire line of Star Wars.

Maybe the Apes line helped them learn a lesson about flooding the fans with figures. Too many, too quickly is not always a good thing. Then again, I'm sure [at least I hope] we won't see duplicated characters before some others are even made.

Ironman1188 said:
Maybe the Apes line helped them learn a lesson about flooding the fans with figures. Too many, too quickly is not always a good thing. Then again, I'm sure [at least I hope] we won't see duplicated characters before some others are even made.

based on anakin and luke sales, i think compairing star wars 12" to POTA 12" is apples and oranges. there is obviously enough demand and interest to release 2 or 3 12" star wars figures a month and have them all sell out quickly.

POTA is a cool film and sideshow made some really nice figures, but in all honesty, the demand is just not there for that line. :peace

I don't know, I surely couldn't afford 3 Star Wars figures a month. I think Sideshow is pacing them out the right way. A bit at a time, knowing the buyers are there for the product but not wanting to put that same buyer in the poor house. Kudos to you Sideshow.

I thought we already decided in a previous thread that one a month would cause many of us to resort to illicit activity to finanace out collecting. :naughty I just have one question for Sideshow, should this be the deveopment...will you accept my first born as payment? :wacky

Sideshow Brant said:
For what it's worth, the decision for 8 or 9 in 2006 was made as a balance between our ability to develop the figures, and sensitivity to the average Star Wars collector's budget. :peace

That is much appreciated Brant.:peace For folks like me trying to make ends meet on many fronts this is very much appreciated. Especially, with the new 1/4 LOTR line coming:banana

Ironman1188 said:
I don't know, I surely couldn't afford 3 Star Wars figures a month.

When I asked the question, I never proposed 3 a month, so I don't know where that came from. I just thought the wait between Luke and Anakin pre-ordering was a good time frame - one month.

JustinLuck said:
When I asked the question, I never proposed 3 a month, so I don't know where that came from. I just thought the wait between Luke and Anakin pre-ordering was a good time frame - one month.

No you didnt, captain sack did in the thread directly above his which is who he was responding too.

I for one dont understand all the fuss even if they did one a month. It's not that difficult for most people to spare $50-$75 a month is it.

Not trying to be pretentious or anything but if you dont have $50 a month of disposable income then this is deff not the hobby for you.

Jesse

i could be happy with the one a month thing but only if they mix it up. say jedi order then the bounty hunter the next month. but its gonna be hard especially since all the PF ive preordered are gonna be coming out in the same time frame. but this is not the only hobby i have either so im gonna have to exercise some restraint.

Ironman1188 said:
I don't know, I surely couldn't afford 3 Star Wars figures a month. I think Sideshow is pacing them out the right way. A bit at a time, knowing the buyers are there for the product but not wanting to put that same buyer in the poor house. Kudos to you Sideshow.

i find that hard to believe. i've seen your ape army with the 14 taylors and 16 brants and 48 gorilla soldiers.:D

i'm not suggesting sideshow should make 2 or 3 figures a month, but i think the demand is there, and unlike the POTA figures, these would sell. and based on all the crap we all buy, i think we could scrape the cash together to get them.:peace

i honestly don't think sideshow really cares, nor shold they, that everyone can't afford to buy all their stuff. this is the same company that sells $600 darth maul heads and life size terminators.:google

captain sack said:
i find that hard to believe. i've seen your ape army with the 14 taylors and 16 brants and 48 gorilla soldiers.:D

i'm not suggesting sideshow should make 2 or 3 figures a month, but i think the demand is there, and unlike the POTA figures, these would sell. and based on all the crap we all buy, i think we could scrape the cash together to get them.:peace

i honestly don't think sideshow really cares, nor shold they, that everyone can't afford to buy all their stuff. this is the same company that sells $600 darth maul heads and life size terminators.:google

OK, let me pose this question to you..........would you be happier with 1 figure a month but lower quality or 8-9 per year but continuing the awesome facial sculpts & plethora of accessories?

You only have to look at the LOTR range which while the later stuff in the line was good, it was still not as jaw droppingly awesome as cave troll, balrog, wiki in trueform etc. This was because they knew the licence was ending and were trying to fill public demand for all charcters before the end so things got smaller

Back