Illyria - how do you want her?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
For me, and I think most people, Illyria is on the top of the list for Angel characters. But she had a pretty complex costume - any ideas on how they could do it justice? I know would just complain if she was just a pleather suit.

The costume and hair are both gonna be tricky for that character. The Medicom Evangelion figures that are up for pre-order at Sideshow have great looking form-fitted bodysuits so hopefully Sideshow will be able to mimic that. As for the hair, rooted would look great if done right but Sideshow's track record in that are is not so hot so I think I'd rather see sculpted hair even if it hinders her neck articulation.

Illyria will probably be the most popular figure from this line just because she'll appeal to both the hardcore collectors and the casual collectors as well so it's important that every detail is done perfectly for her. I think Sideshow did an excellent job with the 1/4 scale 7 of 9 figure's costume. I haven't seen it in real life so I'm basing my opinion on just seeing the pictures. So if they can do that for her I'm hopeful they can do it for Illyria too.

But Illyria's costume is not just a costume, it's part of the character and almost looks like it is melded to her body, a part of her body so it could be tricky to get it right. Every detail has to match. It can't be like Vamp Willow's outfit where it's too baggy.

The hair would look best rooted but it would have to be perfect - Buffy's hairline was off and the forehead looked a bit too big. You could work with it to make it look better but Illyria needs to come out of the box looking just like the character. And if it has to be molded hair, I think it is very important to be able to tilt her head because Illyria often tilted her head to the side and that's how I'd want to pose her. So, if that can't be done with molded hair then, perfect or not, I'd prefer the rooted.

And the eyes also have to be perfect. Illyria had this wonderful stare, where she doesn't seem to be looking right at you. This character is beautiful (as is Amy Acker) but if the eyes are off (my six inch figures eyes don't match up and one looks bigger) it will throw off the whole look of the figure.

I am the most excited about Sideshow doing Illyria and have wanted the Angel line mostly for the fact that I'm sure we'll get an Illyria so I want her to be the best figure yet because she will surely be a centerpiece for my collection.

Last edited:
Firefly Flanatic said:
And the eyes also have to be perfect. Illyria had this wonderful stare, where she doesn't seem to be looking right at you.

That's another tricky bit that I hadn't considered, the eyes along with the facial expression. She generally has an emotionless, deadpan expression, but in that blank face she had that chilling stare that let everyone know that she could kill them with a thought. Could be tough to capture that without making her look either disinterested or a deer in headlights.

Good points FF, although you've put forth some excellent reasons that they shouldn't even try to make her. Not precisely what I was going for with this thread...

:angelsmil:banghead

Hmm, somehow my photo of Illyria turned into an ad for Buffy.nu so I got rid of it. It was a lovely shot of her with her head tilted.

Dave, I think Sideshow can meet the challenge! I'd even be willing to pay extra for this figure if a little more had to go into the making of Illyria.

actually Illyria wouldn't be THAT hard to.

1: first start with a 'skin tight' bodysuit with a zipper in the back. they could got with a low shine black spandex but for something REALLY nice go for the 4-way stretch neoprene like what you see here

2: Cast each of the red 'leather' parts of the costume in flexable plastic not unlike that used to make the The Metaluna Mutant

3: Glue or sew (though at this scale I would guess glue) the 'leather' parts to the body suit. the real costume has done this as see in this picture. each section is a seprate piece (right ribs/left ribs/lower abdomen/etc) with the gaps between each piece allowing for movement. in the figure this will allow the kind of movement the Metaluna Mutant can only dream of.

4: a new set of hands with the rope/scale/armband pattern continueing onto them and Sideshow's patented black shoes and we are set.

oh and by the way, this hair scream out for a rooted head. :naughty

I think Lorne has a good chance of being released early in the line because Sideshow's probably gonna want a "monster" in there as a break from human figures. I think Illyria will be a while though, I'm sure we'll get Fred first.

going alittle off topic, what are the chances of another Angel figure? I mean the classic type with the coat and all black, because I missed the becoming one and Ive heard afew people say they dont want another.:confused:

I cant wait for an Illyria, but my opinion is if sideshow dont feel they they can make one and do it right, then I would rather none at all instead of a bad looking one. Save all the groaning, but imo i think if sideshow go to ALOT of detail and even if the price is more, I think they can do it. Although it said all figures would be $45,maybe they can make an exception. I wouldnt want them to make a mediocre one because they had to stick to a lower retail, Sideshow Im definate if you make a brilliant one and if it costs more, no one will complain...except the one that complain at everything.

:D

BDboystoys said:
going alittle off topic, what are the chances of another Angel figure? I mean the classic type with the coat and all black, because I missed the becoming one and Ive heard afew people say they dont want another.:confused:

I think the chances are pretty high that the first figure will be a "City Of" Angel which aside from a few cosmetic differences will be pretty much the same style as the one released in the Buffy line.

They don't like to release a figure that's basically the same as an existing one. That said, I'm sure there will be a standard Angel available through this line. The first figure was really Angelus anyway, Angel has a slightly different style.

Angel

Yeah I'm waiting for the Angel in the 3/4 length black leather coat which is probably the most worn piece of wardrobe for that character in both series.

Back