Why Firefly/Serenity would be a worthy line to sell

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefly Flanatic

Super Freak
Reaction score
First off, thank you so much for this shiny new Whedonville forum!!!

So any Sideshow people who could help make a Firefly/Serenity line a reality I just wanted to point out some facts about Firefly and it's popularity. The DVDs were released three years ago and they are still selling well and, as a matter of fact, are listed at #16 on Amazon's 2005 Top Seller list.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/15762421/ref%3Dd%5Fbest%5F1%5F2/104-6693084-8679945

And it was at #60 for 2004, and #61 for 2003. The show is growing in popularity more and more as people are discovering it and since it started airing on the Sci-fi channel it's DVD sales have soared.

And yes, the Serenity movie itself didn't do all that great at the theater but it has been consistently listed in Amazon's top 100 listed dvds since it first became available for pre-order and is ranked #1 for the widescreen addition and #9 for the full screen addition in their Future Top Sellers List.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/browse/future-topsellers/-/dvd/ref%3Dpd%5Fbhr%5Fdnr%5F1/104-6693084-8679945

If the DVD sales for the series are any indication of how well the movie will sell on DVD I think the DVD is going to be a huge seller. I know a lot of these people who collect figures would love to see Sideshow do this line. These characters would look absolutely fantastic done at the 1/6 scale size like the Buffy and Angel lines and would probably attract even more collectors as well.

Firefly is a line that I would like to see, and I've only seen Serenity (the tv series is on my Christmas list).

Firefly Flanatic said:
I know a lot of these people who collect figures would love to see Sideshow do this line. These characters would look absolutely fantastic done at the 1/6 scale size.
I agree.....and I agree. :banana

I would rather have them or at least Mal and zoe in the 1/4 scale.

I love the show and movie and I'd buy every 1/6 figure they did. (And a Serenity maquette). I don't know about 1/4 scale though - they aren't THAT visually interesting to interest me in that scale.

Farscape, on the other hand....

Hmmm....

Mal and his pistol and bandoliers...
Zoe with a rifle
Kaylee with her tools
Wash... and as an exclusive, comes with the dinosaur figures he had on console....

Jayne... with his array of rifles, grenades, and "Vera". which could be the exclusive accessory, OR the water/raindrop stick

Book...and... i dunno. a bible

Inara would just seem to be a barbie, except if you include with her, her weapons from the movie...

River and Simon could be a set. River with the combat boots...

possibilities...

Serenity

Gotta have a Kaylee, if they could make a sculpt with her smiling that looked good I'd get it. She defines "cute".

Absolutely loved the movie, I mean loved it................GREAT MOVIE....can not say enough, oh man, LOVED IT!

Sideshow really needs to make this line a reality. I cannot help but feel that the line would sell VERY strongly.

And I don't think that the film's small box office take is ANY indication that a colllectible 12" line wouldn't sell. If that is true why did Sideshow make a Pumpkinhead statue? Didn't that film make less than 5 million at the box office? Just because someone sees a movie at a theater doesn't mean that person will turn around and buy a $50 collectible from it. Titanic figures anyone? I firmly believe that the Firefly fan base is big enough and strong enough and more importantly,is the right KIND of fan base that would support the line.

Come on Sideshow! Make a 12" Mal figure! Just him... and sit back and watch the numbers. Let US convince you to make the rest!

The current figures didn't turn out too well, the sculpts don't really look like the characters and they only made Mal, Jayne and a generic Reaver. I think the 12" figures would appeal to a very different market.

EVILFACE said:
How well have the current figures sold? That might be a good factor.

You can't judge interest in a Sideshow 1/6 line from sales of the 6" figs, those things were atrocious. Only the most diehard Firefly fans would've bought those steamers.

So the "special" announcement was for the LOTR 12" line...

Great news, I'll being buying EVERYONE of them.

Yet I was hoping that special announcement was going to involve a certain crew of a Firfely class ship....

As a Joss Whedon fan, I should have been satisfied with the Angel announcement... but I wasn't.:rolleyes:

I really don't want to collect another line as I don't have enough money right now.
BUT - for Firefly/Serenity figures I'd make an exception, I'd find a way.
Browncoats forever.

TheObsoleteMan said:
You can't judge interest in a Sideshow 1/6 line from sales of the 6" figs, those things were atrocious. Only the most diehard Firefly fans would've bought those steamers.

As a dedicated Browncoat I have to agree. My local comics shop has the Comic Con version of Mal and it's complete crap. I have seen the others and they are not any better. Course the Diamond Select logo never helps.
Browncoats forever.

I'd buy every single firefly/serenity figure they made if SSC made them. That's 1/6th mind you.

I'm all for a sixth scale line as well, and I think the fan base is there to make it a viable option for a company like Sideshow. You aren't going to mass market 100k of a smaller figure, but run a few thousand of Mal, and you'll make some cash.

And I'd buy every one of them. Not that *that* is any real surprise.

Michael
MWC

OK, I'm sitting watching the Firefly marathon on Sci-Fi and really think that Sideshow should make Caleb for the buffy line so we can get a Mal to start off the Firefly line.
Please??

Back