Announce pre-order time or not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should SSC announce pre-order times which will result in server delays, or not?

• Announce the time, I will deal with the server delays.

Votes: 40 71.4%
  • Don't announce the time, let us find it for ourselves.

Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
So when the Han exclusive went up they didn't tell people when it would be available and it sold out quickly in a couple of days. No server problems at all. But people complained cause they didn't have enough warning.

So for the Gondorian helms they told us a time when they would go on sale and there was a huge server crunch and much the same problems experienced today.

So here's the question -

I say dont announce it, but only cause Im fortunate enough to be on a computer at work all day.
The first time I miss a preorder of something I REALLY want, I may jump the fence though.

No, but...

I voted for don't announce because the ONLY time I've ever had issues with pre-orders were with the ones with announced times. Of course, that was because of the server loads, but with the unannounced pre-orders, I just waited for my newsletter or checked the board and went and ordered once they were up. The new system helps in every area except the server loads, so if they are looking at improving that, then I won't mind the announced time pre-orders.

I say announce the time.

A better way to solve the problem, IMO, would be to have an open edition of the exclusive for the 2 hour priority pre-order. Let SS take as many preorders as they can in the "priority" time so that ALL newsletter subscribers get a shot at the exclusive. That's the most fair way to solve the problem. This way if you miss the priority pre-order than you have no bobody to blame but yourself.

I say announce the time. I'd rather prepare for the pre-order and subsequent delays than miss out on it completely because I had no idea when it was coming up and made other plans (away from the computer).

Bonehead15's suggestion is very interesting. Sort of a "Danbury Mint" kind of limited edition. Set on a limited time offer as opposed to a limited number.

I think It should be announced. If the pre-order is available at an undisclosed time, most people will find out immediately the moment it goes up from the toy news sites anyway, and that would be a small fraction of the newsletter members. By announcing the time ahead of the preorder date it gives all newsletter members a chance even with the slow servers.
I think the Han pre-order was avery different situation then the Anakin pre-order, manny people didn't know about the Han 1/4 statue at the time and it was so expensive that it kept most people away. Also it's a scale and type of item that not too many people collect. the Anakin 12" figure is far more affordable, vary hot character right now because the movie is fresh in people's minds, and at a scale and collectable type that many are interested in.
So I don't think it's a far comparison.

Making it an open edition exclusive for the 2 hour priority pre-order won't be all that helpful since their site was inaccessible for about an hour of the priority pre-order order window.
other then get faster servers which apparently isn't possible, I'm not sure what they could do.

So all of you that are voting for a scheduled time - will you sign a certificate swearing not to ***** and moan when it takes 20 mins. to order?

Darklord Dave said:
So all of you that are voting for a scheduled time - will you sign a certificate swearing not to ***** and moan when it takes 20 mins. to order?

It only took me 3 minutes to log in and get my order in. I still can't believe that people had such a hard time getting there orders in. :confused:

Darklord Dave said:

I voted for announce the time. It took me an hour to get my order in. While frustrating, like I said in the other thread, it definitely wasn't unexpected. I went into the preorder knowing that if I didn't get lucky and get my order in the first 5 minutes, I would likely be there a while. I'm definitely willing to accept the problems and at least know that I'm trying at the right time.

BTW, we always see several people recommend an open ended ES determined by a time frame. I really think this would defeat the purpose of an exclusive. If you're going to make a huge ES to accomodate everyone who wants one, then just make one version of the figure and let everyone get on board. Why bother with an exclusive? I don't have a problem with huge ES for the regular version, but an exclusive by nature should have a low ES. IMO anyway.

lcummins said:
I voted for don't announce because the ONLY time I've ever had issues with pre-orders were with the ones with announced times. Of course, that was because of the server loads, but with the unannounced pre-orders, I just waited for my newsletter or checked the board and went and ordered once they were up. The new system helps in every area except the server loads, so if they are looking at improving that, then I won't mind the announced time pre-orders.

Ditto on this LC.

another solution: sideshow need to buy more server :D to decrease delay when lot of people connected
£+µ

I'm for Announcing the time/date.

I know this may complicate things, but just a thought.
This recent event with the Anakin had some new protocol to follow...
A new figure was announced, an update to the servers/webpage(s), a registering newsletter to ensure only newsletter holders get first dibs...

All great things from a great company. Now for the lessons learned.

1) Due to the server/webpage update(s), the newsletter did not make it out til late Friday. That meant that a lot of the newsletter subscribers did NOT get it until Saturday, Sunday, Monday... maybe even Tuesday. This does not include those whose newsletter got filtered as junk email or whatever.

This brought a worry to the masses as the pre-order event was the following friday. Even though you had a few days til Friday, the cut-off for registering was Thursday, 23:59.

2) The time was announced for the event. Like I said, this is a good thing, BUT, it gave a window of "sometime between 10-12 am Pacific", which to me, means not exactly at 10am, but between those times... so it is a potential LESS THAN 2 hours for that window. You have folks already hitting refresh from 9:50am onward. and then you'll have others slowly hitting the site until WHAM... all set. a normally 3-minute task to order takes 15-30(?) mins to place just because the server is getting hit.

I personally was worried cuz our own server(s) were lagging, and I thought I had to drive home just to try and get an Anakin. Luckily, the server stabilized. But I had to attend a function and didn't get to try and place my order til 11am pacific, and it took a good 10 mins just to see the PURCHASE button, and another 5 or so mis to place the order.

My recommendations, take them how you want:

-the whole premise of being a newsletter subscriber is that you have insider info. which, SSC delivered on. to maybe improve on it, use that newsletter as a vehicle to be even more desired.

Announce on the webpage the new item, entice people as usual to consider buying it...maybe on a monday or tuesday.

By Friday, send out a newsletter which asks the subscriber "Do you want this item? YES / NO". Make this a date/time restricted question, perhaps a week to allow for potential snags on getting the newsletter (See #1). It's not so much a poll, but asking them, if you want it, better click YES. If you're a true die-hard for a line, title, or specific figure, you won't think twice on it.

If the subscriber clicks YES, this means that the following Wednesday, the subscriber gets a flash-newsletter with a link to their acct. to click "PURCHASE". basically reserves the item for them to buy at their leisure.

If the subscriber clicks NO, they still get the flash newsletter on wednesday as part of the whole 'subscribe to newsletter' thing, BUT without the PURCHASE link. However, they get to see the window with which they CAN buy the item. "Friday, 10am-12pm" Basically a way for SSC to say, hey, you snoozed, but we'll give you yet another chance as a newsletter subscriber. But then, these collectors KNOW what happens when you try to fight with the rest of the masses. Lag, etc. but hey, they didn't want the figure that much to begin with. Now I may get some flackfrom the on-budget folks. Me too. But it's a pre-order and we don't get charged til the item ships. This second-chance, if implemented, is SSC's way of saying, yeah, you missed out on a sure-thing, but maybe you'll get lucky here.

After THAT, we're all on our own.

This gives a fair warning and a shot to collectors to know the item, and have a chance buy the item before the rush. A nice perk for newsletter subscribers. Basically, same as what was done for Anakin, BUT, provide the chance to buy it before the rush. One, you please the true-die-hard collectors, AND you have a gauge on how many exclusives would be required by the die-hards. If the choice was YES, NO, MAYBE... the Maybe would be a good number to gauge how many extra exclusives there could be before you switch to the regular edition. A YES means basically assured. A MAYBE means the remaining number for an exclusive, but yer still on your own. A NO means yer really on your own.

This removes the die-hards from complaining "oh, i couldn't log on cuz of server lag" or "oh, i missed out on my newsletter", or "the time was off, i was asleep, i was at work, i was at -whatever-"; reduces what I could consider unnessary complaints that the cool customer service folks have to put up with. It also takes them out of the server problem for the other folks. Win-win. This is what I consider the "newsletter pre-order".

The point of still telling the "MAYBE" or "NO" people the date/time of the web-site pre-order is that they still have a chance. up to them if they really want it.

How many people will say yes right off the bat? not everyone, that's for sure.
how many people will say maybe? who knows. SSC, if they consider this, can judge how much of the 'maybe's to add to the actual exclusive edition size. and any NO's, they can subtract. Again, this is all limited by the original newsletter cutoff time/date of "do you want to buy?"

Just a thought.

Bonehead15 said:
It only took me 3 minutes to log in and get my order in. I still can't believe that people had such a hard time getting there orders in. :confused:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised also. I didn't even worry about the pre-order and went and picked up something for lunch. I got back at 12:28pm (10:28pm PST) and just sat down at my computer and went to the Sideshow site. I logged into my account and newsletter pages with no issues and clicked on the pre-order link. I got a sever-error page, clicked back and then purchase again and went right to the next page. I did get the server-error page at each step of the process, but just clicked back and then whichever button for the step I was at, and went to the next page with virtually no wait times. The entire process took me about 2 minutes, and this was at 28 minutes into the pre-order process. Maybe I just got lucky and hit the site just as the servers were coming back up. But I can understand everyone's frustration; I've encountered the slow servers during past pre-orders. Pippin took me 5 hours to pre-order with all the server crashes!

Back