Ebay - shipping quotes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess most people know it. Sellers are often of the opinion to double their gain by raising the shipping costs. I ordered two items from a relativly new seller, asked him if he would be able to combine shipping which he told me wouldnt be any problem. Bot items were 15 $ shipping from Malaysia. I took them both and he combined shipping. I was shocked when he charged 29 $ but ok... The package arrive and I checked the shipping costs... 51 RM, less than 15 $. So I wrote an email and complained and asked for a refund or free shipping on the next purchase. He denied and his answer was that he has to cover ebay and PayPal costs too. What would you do? I think negative feedback is a little rude for a relativly new seller with only 50 rates, on the other hand I wouldnt recommend anybody to buy from that guy, though his stuff is good.

:confused::rolleyes:

I guess most people know it. Sellers are often of the opinion to double their gain by raising the shipping costs. I ordered two items from a relativly new seller, asked him if he would be able to combine shipping which he told me wouldnt be any problem. Bot items were 15 $ shipping from Malaysia. I took them both and he combined shipping. I was shocked when he charged 29 $ but ok... The package arrive and I checked the shipping costs... 51 RM, less than 15 $. So I wrote an email and complained and asked for a refund or free shipping on the next purchase. He denied and his answer was that he has to cover ebay and PayPal costs too. What would you do? I think negative feedback is a little rude for a relativly new seller with only 50 rates, on the other hand I wouldnt recommend anybody to buy from that guy, though his stuff is good.

:confused::rolleyes:

I would be a little mad because he agreed to combine.

I too pad a bit to help cover some fees, but if he said he would combine them and didn't, that is wrong. Either he lives up to the agreement or give him a negative.

I too pad a bit to help cover some fees, but if he said he would combine them and didn't, that is wrong. Either he lives up to the agreement or give him a negative.

IMO padding your shipping is acceptable. You have to get packaging materials and drive to the post office. That all costs money.

That sucks KGS, I've had that happen before and I also hate it when people charge $20 to ship an item that should ship for $5-10.

I only pad when I need to buy a box or packing materials. If I have a box that is big enough for the item I pack it beforehand and weigh it so that I can give exact shipping quotes, digital scales are awesome.

Also, if I combine shipping for someone and they've already paid I always give them a refund for the difference. I always get thank you notes from those poeple and they are more likely to buy from you again.

$5 would be acceptable, enough to cover a new box and some bubble wrap.

Yep I usually charge about that much more for shipping. I have become a real stickler and even started to measure all boxes and get exact rates. I hate the new USPS box size guidelines. I have been burned a few times by it.

I say give the seller a break. We always complain about the fees involved with Ebay. Lower cost of item and inflated shipping rates help sellers make up some coin without having to pay the man. I know it sux seeing how a $15 item becomes $45, but you did agree to his price so I think you need dto accept it and move on. HOWEVER, only taking a $1 off for combined shipping is a pretty low move, I say let the penny pincher know how you feel by leaving neutral feedback.

I always ask for combined shipping rates ahead of time, because yeah, some people only knock off a little bit from their rates. I figure as long as the shipping price is stated ahead of time, I don't care how much they pad it. When I'm bidding on an item, I have a total price in mind that I'm willing to pay, so whateva.

Give him the Negative! he cant give you Negative so you are all good! ^^^^ this guy! and say Hello and welcome to ebay! :rock

:lol:lol:lol

Thanks guys for all the useful and funny comments. As he did not use any box or anything else I think I will go with the neutral feedback. Not because the shipping was too high but because he told me to combine it... In fact he did even combine the shipping, he never promised to lower the cost though. :lol

Pading is allright if it is not too much. This guy will have a hard future in 1/6 scale sells if he doesnt change that attitude... :horror

:lol:lol:lol

Thanks guys for all the useful and funny comments. As he did not use any box or anything else I think I will go with the neutral feedback. Not because the shipping was too high but because he told me to combine it... In fact he did even combine the shipping, he never promised to lower the cost though. :lol

Pading is allright if it is not too much. This guy will have a hard future in 1/6 scale sells if he doesnt change that attitude... :horror

If you asked him to combine shipping but didn't ask him to lower the cost that still may be on you IMO. I would have asked him if combining the shipping would lower the shipping costs. I don't know. Just playing devils advocate a bit.

Usually combined shipping gets you just alittle bit more than what one would cost. Just taking a dollar off isn't right. I alway ask BEFORE though if they don't state it in their auction.

If you don't want to give him a negative, when they ask how you rate his shipping, communication, etc, rate him low.

You can also give him a positive then say the products were fine, but the combined shipping wasn't right.

Adding paypal and eBay fees to your shipping is against eBay policy. It isn't the buyers job to pay for those fees that is why they charge the seller for them. They are fees for selling your item on eBay.

eBay's policy on shipping:

Charges not allowed in Shipping & Handling:

Tax: Only actual applicable federal, state, country, city, VAT, and equivalent taxes may be charged.

Additional insurance protection: No additional amount such as “self insurance” may be added. Sellers who do not use a licensed 3rd party insurance company may not require buyers to purchase insurance. This is a violation of state law.

Tariffs and duties: For cross border transactions, sellers may not collect tariffs and duties. However, buyer may be responsible for actual tariffs and duties as required by country laws.

Fees related to Shipping & Handling: Gasoline, mileage, time spent at a carrier, time spent packaging the item, eBay and PayPal fees may not be added.

Back