Smallville Spin-off Coming Soon?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Interesting news. I don't agree with the article's writer about it not being interesting, I'm actually seriously hoping for a Green Arrow spin-off whether or not it include the rest of the JL.

Article by Cleric Costes
Smallville Spin-off Coming Soon?
Rumor has it that the CW is looking into creating a spinoff from Smallville. We’ll file this under the category of bad ideas. Mike Ausiello over at TV Guide has the scoop.

Sigh.

I don’t like Smallville anymore and I don’t know very many people who do. I used to love it back when Michael Rosenbaum was fleshing out a brilliant portrayal of Lex Luthor and Tom Welling wasn’t 30. Sure it tended to fall into a repetitive ‘baddy of the week’ fare, but it was still fun and Kristen Kruek was hot. But it’s been NINE years and Clark has graduated high school and you really think he’d be Superman by now. But, no. The show needs to end. And it seems that CW is realizing it too. But far be it for a company to do the right thing and put the dog out of its misery rather than squeeze every last cent out of the franchise.

They’ve tried this before with aborted runs of Aquaman (called Mercy Reef) and a before-he-was Robin ^^^^ Grayson. It didn’t work out then, what makes them think its going to work out now? I guess they will probably be looking into spinning off the Oliver Queen character on Smallville or perhaps bringing the Justice League together. But whatever, without Superman, NO ONE CARES.

Over at io9.com, Graeme McMillan explains things much better than I ever could. To sum up, Graeme says that if they really want to keep the franchise alive, ditch the Smallville part and make a show about Superman. Give Welling the tights and make a better Superman show than Lois and Clark. And call it Metropolis or even Superman – Clark’s formative years are done – he’s ready to become the hero we know and love, so let him be Superman.

A Superman show is a show I’d tune in for.

I'm not too sure about the idea. I guess it could be interesting and it depends on what character it is. I'm all for them making another Superman program though, I think that would be awesome if they got Tom Welling to do it.

fully agree with the last paragraph. here's hoping :rock

Smallville's got to become Metropolis and Welling's gotta put on the tights! If not, lose Welling and find someone who wants them dammit!

I agree. Smallville has gotten to the point where they can't keep up this wink wink red blue blur crap much longer. It's ^^^^ or get off the pot time.

I think a GA spin-off could be cool as hell! IN Smallville he founded the Justice League already, so the spin-off could involve a much deeper DCU (similar to what Smallville has been hashing out over the past two seasons).

Plus, I dont wanna get my hopes up...but a GA spin-off would be the perfect medium for introducing Bruce Wayne/Batman! Two billionair super heroes playing "top that" on a regular basis in both aspects of thier lives without knowing who the other is! Then the detective work to figure out who they are. That could be cool as hell! Probably some sort of licensing issues though.

Don't dream! Batman will NEVER appear in a CW series!!! DC knows they have a golden egg, they're not going to spoil it on TV!

Oh I wasnt planning on holding my breath. But hey...anything is possible.

And in writing this I just realized a problem I have with Batman begins....they should have had a teen actor play bruce wayne in the begining with the gun. Then cut to bale... lol random though 107

A TV series about Superman nowadays that isn't a cheesy soap-romance crap will never work on TV. The character is just too much larger than life to be flying around on a TV budget. They should just end the show next season and be done with it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Welling would be a great Supes, but I'm tired with him refusing to wear the tights! If he plays Superman, he has to show respect for the character and the fans and go all the way!

I've been hoping for a Green Arrow spinoff. The guy that plays him on Smallville does a great job.

That writer obviously hasn't been watching Smallville which just got through with it's best season ever, despite not having Rosenbaum around. That was a terrible loss, but they got past it brilliantly.

I'd agree that a Superman show on a TV budget would be pretty bad - I can't see that happening. But a spin-off with Ollie could be worthwhile.

That writer obviously hasn't been watching Smallville which just got through with it's best season ever, despite not having Rosenbaum around. That was a terrible loss, but they got past it brilliantly.

I'd agree that a Superman show on a TV budget would be pretty bad - I can't see that happening. But a spin-off with Ollie could be worthwhile.

Best season overall...eh....possibly but it also had it's weakest season finale.

An interesting bit of news (?) directly from the Superman Homepage...

June 25, 2009: "Metropolis" - The Movie-Length "Smallville" Project?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ain't It Cool News reports that they've received word that a possible movie-length project to conclude the "Smallville" TV series after season 9 might be taking place. The claim comes from an untested source who says they saw signage being prepared for a "Smallville" presentation at next month's San Diego Comic-Con. Here's how the signage is described...

On black, with crimson/red text in the same font lettering that Smallville uses, and a transparent grey Superman "S" watermark behind the text:
METROPOLIS

CHRISTMAS 2010

Then at the bottom is a banner advertising the Smallville presentation, with the time/place (can't remember).

Hoax or Truth? I guess we'll find out when the San Diego Comic-Con takes place across July 23-26.

I watched Smallville for the first 2 seasons and liked it a lot. I am not even sure why I stopped watching it.

But has it really been on for 9 years?

Back