Did I get scammed and what to do about it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorgulTongue

Super Freak
Reaction score
I paid 6 days ago and haven't heard from them since. I have sent a message every 2 days. The last time I got something from the seller they said they had gotten the money and was sending the items the next day and that was the night of the money transfer. Paypal was used for the money, so I am aware of the dispute process and waiting at least 7 days before beginning. What to do? What say you? Am I ^^^^ out of luck here or what? Please post experiences and advice. Thanks to all who reply.

6 days means they are lazy. Not a scammer. 2 weeks or more and I would get my money back, scammer or not.

Sometimes they just don't communicate. You may still get your item. Like Pix said, wait at least 2 weeks.

You didn't say where it was coming from or how it was going to be shipped. Alot of things to consider here.

6 days means they are lazy. Not a scammer. 2 weeks or more and I would get my money back, scammer or not.

yes. give it at least another week, if no item or tracking info by next weekend, file a claim.

I always try to send tracking info the day I send it, which is why paypal is so good to deal with, because it does all the work for you, including sending tracking info to buyer.

if don't mind me asking, What'd you buy and for how much? Are we talking less than $50 or a lot higher?

The deal never said anything about responding to your messages did it? He may have sold the item and posted it just before taking off on holidays for a fortnight. Who knows? You have plenty of time to file a claim. For anyone to really give you the advice you seek we would need a whole lot more information.

Some people, not saying you in particular, make ebay transactions a pain because they are too demanding and or impatient. You pay for an item straight away doesn't mean it should arrive within a week. When I read threads like this I think of highly strung or drug affected people freaking out, before enough time has passed to warrant worry.

You say you have bought from this same seller and had another issue. Then that should have been a signal. You should have remembered and not chosen to bid. It hasn't been seven days and you are wanting to start a dispute procedure at the earliest opportunity. Settle down. Is Rabies still running rampant over there? You have 45 days with Paypal and a further 45 days with your credit provider, if you happened to use one on this transaction. Without enough background information I shouldn't be so harsh, but until I do have it, maybe I should be harsher. :dunno

The deal never said anything about responding to your messages did it? He may have sold the item and posted it just before taking off on holidays for a fortnight. Who knows? You have plenty of time to file a claim. For anyone to really give you the advice you seek we would need a whole lot more information.

Some people, not saying you in particular, make ebay transactions a pain because they are too demanding and or impatient. You pay for an item straight away doesn't mean it should arrive within a week. When I read threads like this I think of highly strung or drug affected people freaking out, before enough time has passed to warrant worry.

You say you have bought from this same seller and had another issue. Then that should have been a signal. You should have remembered and not chosen to bid. It hasn't been seven days and you are wanting to start a dispute procedure at the earliest opportunity. Settle down. Is Rabies still running rampant over there? You have 45 days with Paypal and a further 45 days with your credit provider, if you happened to use one on this transaction. Without enough background information I shouldn't be so harsh, but until I do have it, maybe I should be harsher. :dunno

Gotta say Creecher, I rarely agree with what you say :)monkey3) but that is spot-on...i'm not sure why but people these days seem to think that a private sellers should be like businesses i.e. responding to emails all the time and sending items out within 48 hours. This is not having a go at the OP but relax, your item will come and if it doesn't you have enough time to file a claim

I have sold quite a few items and I don't always ship the next day. I don't see why people get their panties in a bunch after not having an item in hand 48 hours after paying. 6 days is not THAT long. Give it a little more time. Most sellers around here or even on ebay are not "stores" we are just collectors who are moving an item and work real jobs 5 or 6 days a week so sometimes it takes a few days to get something shipped.

I will say that if I delay shippping for any reason I do keep my buyers advised of it.

Chill out, dude. 6 days is nothing. Yes, he should've been responding to you via email, but freaking out when you aren't even eligible to file a claim yet (that should tell you that you're worried way too much) is ridiculous. There' s a reason that Paypal allows up to 45 days before you have to file a dispute. As mentioned above, 2 weeks without a claim/communication is grounds for a claim, a little longer (not the communication part of course) for an international transaction.

I have sold quite a few items and I don't always ship the next day. I don't see why people get their panties in a bunch after not having an item in hand 48 hours after paying. 6 days is not THAT long. Give it a little more time. Most sellers around here or even on ebay are not "stores" we are just collectors who are moving an item and work real jobs 5 or 6 days a week so sometimes it takes a few days to get something shipped.

I will say that if I delay shippping for any reason I do keep my buyers advised of it.

I think the lack of communication is what's bothering him. I actually have that problem with buyers. What is driving me nuts lately is their eBay address doesn't match their PayPal address. So...which one do you send it to? Trying to get them to tell me can be a problem sometimes. I even state in my postings that if the addresses don't match, please tell me when you win the item which address to use or there will be a delay in shipping.

You have 45 days with Paypal and a further 45 days with your credit provider, if you happened to use one on this transaction.

You mean if you used a credit card? What if you used a bank account instant transfer? I got ripped off from a seller for $149 on a HT Two Face that never came. Even won the dispute through Paypal, but the seller's long gone, no money in the account, etc. Called my bank and they said they couldn't dispute the payment because I authorized it. But the service was never delivered. I don't get. Shouldn't you still be able to dispute it in this situation?

BTW, very unimpressed with paypal in this situation. I think they've basically given people a blueprint for how to defraud people. Just set up an account, take a bunch of money from people for stuff you never intend to send them, empty the account, never use paypal again. And you don't even have to worry about the legal repercussions because Paypal won't investigate further or take the money out of the fraudulent seller's bank account to pay back the people who got defrauded. Paypal got their fee. Why should they care? So much for the "secure" part.

You mean if you used a credit card? What if you used a bank account instant transfer? I got ripped off from a seller for $149 on a HT Two Face that never came. Even won the dispute through Paypal, but the seller's long gone, no money in the account, etc. Called my bank and they said they couldn't dispute the payment because I authorized it. But the service was never delivered. I don't get. Shouldn't you still be able to dispute it in this situation?

BTW, very unimpressed with paypal in this situation. I think they've basically given people a blueprint for how to defraud people. Just set up an account, take a bunch of money from people for stuff you never intend to send them, empty the account, never use paypal again. And you don't even have to worry about the legal repercussions because Paypal won't investigate further or take the money out of the fraudulent seller's bank account to pay back the people who got defrauded. Paypal got their fee. Why should they care? So much for the "secure" part.

Never ever use your bank account when paying with Paypal. Always use a CC.

I think the lack of communication is what's bothering him. I actually have that problem with buyers. What is driving me nuts lately is their eBay address doesn't match their PayPal address. So...which one do you send it to? Trying to get them to tell me can be a problem sometimes. I even state in my postings that if the addresses don't match, please tell me when you win the item which address to use or there will be a delay in shipping.

Sorry for the lack of details.The communication only is exactly what I am worried about at this time. This person and I were communicating very well, but as soon as I sent payment using instant transfer from the bank account, not a peep. The last e-mail I got stated that they had received payment, would send the items the next day, and would e-mail me stating they had shipped it (last monday). The e-mails I've sent since were to ask if they had shipped only because of what they had stated in the last e-mail. Does this seem like I'm pestering the person? Only 2 e-mails were sent from me about the shipping so far. I will just wait longer. The items are shipping from Waco Texas to San Antonio Texas. Thanks.

edit: "Never ever use your bank account when paying with Paypal. Always use a CC." - DOH!!

Last edited:
I would atleast give it a few more days before you file a claim. Sometimes it takes people awhile to send stuff out with jobs, kids, etc.

Typically i give 2 weeks to rcv item. There are PLENTY of lazy shippers out there (if you sit on my payment a week before shipping you are a jerk)! My mail is uaully kinda slow but 3 weeks is the max i give before considering filing...

Back